Improving sleep quality

without going off on a rant, I got my CPAP machine after 2 weeks of chasing the clinic and ultimately just submitting the prescription myself.

Last night was my first night with the machine. As expected, my sleep wasnt the greatest due to discomfort. Admittedly, I didn't set myself up for success seeing as I had to train (legs) later in the evening than im used to. I spent 6-7 hours in bed, it took me about an hour to fall asleep and woke twice through out the night. When I woke during the night, things were different than I'm used to however. Instead of waking up in "fight or flight" with my heart pounding/racing, I remained relaxed. This morning I'm not experiencing the grueling headache that i'm used to. As for fatigue, I'm still feeling it. I imagine i'm quite sleep deprived so that will likely take some time to recover from.

Just stick with it now. You will get used to it and the sleeps will start to get better and better

Do you have the nose pillow mask or full nose/mouth? If nose mask like me I did not like using the strap behind and on top of my head. I only use it around my head like a low headband, and it's just loose enough to keep the mask lightly in place. If the strap is too tight its uncomfortable. I'm sure you could do something similar with a nose/mouth mask too. I also spent some time stretching the band out as I've got a big head and it was way too tight out of the box

What machine do you have and did someone set it up for you? If it has a water tank for humidity you may not need it until the weather gets cold and dry. I keep the tank empty most of the year. If it has a heating coil on the air hose don't set it too warm. Mine was set at 27 and I dropped it to 22 C. If it has ramp-up make sure that's on so that the airflow is light when you start and it senses when you sleep to increase air pressure. When you take it off in the middle of the night for whatever reason it knows and lowers the pressure when you put it back on.

Other than that just get used to managing the hose if you toss from side to side so you dont yank it off your face. And have the machine in a place that it wont fall far if you pull the hose in your sleep as that thud will wake you right up, mine is on a pillow on the floor next to the bed, not on a bedside table

Ill take 1mg of melatonin most nights to get me started, and 10mg of CBD if it's been long day and I really need a dart in my neck. No THC, not ever, its awful for sleep for me anyways

If you have a couple nights where you hate the machine it's just the learning curve, it will be worth it

And as said if you can get a BJ before bed that's the golden ticket!

interesting perspective, never thought of that. Im quite conscious of this nowadays, for example glass dishes & stainless steel bottles, but obviously it's nearly impossible to avoid entirely. Even then, the first 20 years of my life did not put any thought into this so there was definitely a ton of exposure that could be effecting me now.
Yea it's crazy the say the average person eats about a credit card a week worth of plastic.

Just stick with it now. You will get used to it and the sleeps will start to get better and better

Do you have the nose pillow mask or full nose/mouth? If nose mask like me I did not like using the strap behind and on top of my head. I only use it around my head like a low headband, and it's just loose enough to keep the mask lightly in place. If the strap is too tight its uncomfortable. I'm sure you could do something similar with a nose/mouth mask too. I also spent some time stretching the band out as I've got a big head and it was way too tight out of the box

What machine do you have and did someone set it up for you? If it has a water tank for humidity you may not need it until the weather gets cold and dry. I keep the tank empty most of the year. If it has a heating coil on the air hose don't set it too warm. Mine was set at 27 and I dropped it to 22 C. If it has ramp-up make sure that's on so that the airflow is light when you start and it senses when you sleep to increase air pressure. When you take it off in the middle of the night for whatever reason it knows and lowers the pressure when you put it back on.

Other than that just get used to managing the hose if you toss from side to side so you dont yank it off your face. And have the machine in a place that it wont fall far if you pull the hose in your sleep as that thud will wake you right up, mine is on a pillow on the floor next to the bed, not on a bedside table

Ill take 1mg of melatonin most nights to get me started, and 10mg of CBD if it's been long day and I really need a dart in my neck. No THC, not ever, its awful for sleep for me anyways

If you have a couple nights where you hate the machine it's just the learning curve, it will be worth it

And as said if you can get a BJ before bed that's the golden ticket!
I'm definitely getting more used to it now. Last night's sleep was really deep. I actually think I overslept and I'm feeling a little drowsy/sluggish. I'm still waking 2-3 time to pee though. Not sure if thats just a formed habit I need to break or if there's another issue going on.

I'm using the pillow mask, specifically the one that splits off into 2 and goes into each nostril. I'm still trying to find the right fit, because if I loosen it off too much, it starts to leak while on my side. Nonetheless it's getting comfortable for the most part.

I have the Resmed airsense 11 and it was set up by the store. I got the package with all the bells and whistles so all the temperatures are auto regulated. The store did set it up with the ramp up on, but i actually turned it off because I was having a hard time breathing with such little pressure.

Overall I think the hardest challenge has been breathing strictly through my nose. By nature im a mouth breather. So far things are looking good though! I'm even noticing a slight decrease in my morning blood pressure readings.

I'm definitely getting more used to it now. Last night's sleep was really deep. I actually think I overslept and I'm feeling a little drowsy/sluggish. I'm still waking 2-3 time to pee though. Not sure if thats just a formed habit I need to break or if there's another issue going on.

I'm using the pillow mask, specifically the one that splits off into 2 and goes into each nostril. I'm still trying to find the right fit, because if I loosen it off too much, it starts to leak while on my side. Nonetheless it's getting comfortable for the most part.

I have the Resmed airsense 11 and it was set up by the store. I got the package with all the bells and whistles so all the temperatures are auto regulated. The store did set it up with the ramp up on, but i actually turned it off because I was having a hard time breathing with such little pressure.

Overall I think the hardest challenge has been breathing strictly through my nose. By nature im a mouth breather. So far things are looking good though! I'm even noticing a slight decrease in my morning blood pressure readings.
You can buy tape to tape your mouth shut.
The mid night leaking of air thru my mouth stopped my mouth breathing, lol.

I tried the pillow mask, damn thing hurt my nostrils no matter what size I used. I use a different type of nose pillow now where the hose is above my head.

I spent more on masks than the machine trying to find one that fits, so if you want to try others out for fun, send me your address and I'll send you the others I used. I'll clean them in quat sanitizer before I send them. They are brand new, I only used them for a couple days each until I realized I didn't like them.

I have a couple you can mouth breathe if you like. One is really easy on the face.

My issue with mouth breathing is my lower jaw would drop in and it would leak when sleeping, but you might be totally fine.

I have the same machine. Sounds like you are on the right track, just have to keep going now

The waking to piss a couple times a night will go down but I find most nights I still have to at least once. It all really depends on when I remember to start limiting my liquid intake in the evening, or what I have for dinner because if we are out and the food has salt then I need lots of water, or if I drink any alcohol then my night is ruined.

Take @Sorbate up on his mask offer. I was lucky that the nose pillow mask the machine came with was perfect for me.

You can buy tape to tape your mouth shut.
The mid night leaking of air thru my mouth stopped my mouth breathing, lol.

I tried the pillow mask, damn thing hurt my nostrils no matter what size I used. I use a different type of nose pillow now where the hose is above my head.

I spent more on masks than the machine trying to find one that fits, so if you want to try others out for fun, send me your address and I'll send you the others I used. I'll clean them in quat sanitizer before I send them. They are brand new, I only used them for a couple days each until I realized I didn't like them.

I have a couple you can mouth breathe if you like. One is really easy on the face.

My issue with mouth breathing is my lower jaw would drop in and it would leak when sleeping, but you might be totally fine.
I actually mentioned that to the person at the store and they recommended against it as a choking hazard for example if you puke in your sleep or something. Obviously a very rare occasion but makes sense.

As for the mask, I appreciate the offer! I'll see how things go and might take you up on it. Luckily the store has a 30 day return policy on masks so trialing a few isn't much of an issue

I actually mentioned that to the person at the store and they recommended against it as a choking hazard for example if you puke in your sleep or something. Obviously a very rare occasion but makes sense.

As for the mask, I appreciate the offer! I'll see how things go and might take you up on it. Luckily the store has a 30 day return policy on masks so trialing a few isn't much of an issue
Amazon is the cheapest place to buy masks. 1/2 the normal stores. Exact same masks.

I've been using my CPAP for about 1.5 weeks now. Overall, sleep is improved. There's some inconsistency though. For instance, last night I still woke 4x.
I'm using 10mg of melatonin (and have been for several months now). Is there a chance I'm dosing it too high and it's causing this?

That's a very high amount, for me anyway. I usually buy the 5mg tabs and break them into four pieces. I'll take one piece as I'm laying down, and if I'm still restless in 30 min I'll take another. The other pieces I'll leave on the table if I cant get back to sleep after a piss break.

So basically 1mg to 1.Xmg is my go to dose depending on how the tabs break up.

Try taking 10mg of CBD as well. That will really calm your mind, it's amazing stuff. I've only just begun to realize its real potential. A gummy takes me around 40min to hit, so take it at least 30min before bed. I'm going to buy oil as that method speeds up the intake.

But if you gotta piss then you gotta piss. I woke 4 times last night too cuz I'm visiting my aunt and the food she cooks is gourmet delicious but salt heavy. No fighting that... think I farted myself awake one time too, lol!

That's a very high amount, for me anyway. I usually buy the 5mg tabs and break them into four pieces. I'll take one piece as I'm laying down, and if I'm still restless in 30 min I'll take another. The other pieces I'll leave on the table if I cant get back to sleep after a piss break.

Try taking 10mg of CBD as well. That will really calm your mind, it's amazing stuff. I've only just begun to realize its real potential. A gummy takes me around 40min to hit, so take it at least 30min before bed. I'm going to buy oil as that method speeds up the intake.

But if you gotta piss then you gotta piss. I woke 4 times last night too cuz I'm visiting my aunt and the food she cooks is gourmet delicious but salt heavy. No fighting that... think I farted myself awake one time too, lol!
Where would be the best place to purchase CBD? Online vendor or local dispensary?

Where would be the best place to purchase CBD? Online vendor or local dispensary?

Any decent dispensary should have CBD on it's own. I get "full spectrum" CBD as it has other beneficial things in it from the hemp plant but none are psychoactive

Some are a blend of CBD and THC. Any measurable amount of THC gives me insomnia so I stay well away from it. Many can sleep on THC too but I cant advise on that

And just do the math right when either breaking up a gummy or dosing the oil. Too much won't hurt but can make you groggy the next day. 10mg is what is recommended as a beginers dose and I've never personally felt the need to go higher

Any decent dispensary should have CBD on it's own. I get "full spectrum" CBD as it has other beneficial things in it from the hemp plant but none are psychoactive

Some are a blend of CBD and THC. Any measurable amount of THC gives me insomnia so I stay well away from it. Many can sleep on THC too but I cant advise on that

And just do the math right when either breaking up a gummy or dosing the oil. Too much won't hurt but can make you groggy the next day. 10mg is what is recommended as a beginers dose and I've never personally felt the need to go higher
Thanks man, I'll stop into one of our many dispensaries that seem to be on every corner now lol.
I can't stand THC either.

I've been using my CPAP for about 1.5 weeks now. Overall, sleep is improved. There's some inconsistency though. For instance, last night I still woke 4x.
I'm using 10mg of melatonin (and have been for several months now). Is there a chance I'm dosing it too high and it's causing this?
I do think is too high. Go on 5mg and re assess.

What time is your last meal before going to bed?

What time is your last coffee?

What time is your workout?

I’ve got the blue light blocking glasses and it definitely helps.

I do think is too high. Go on 5mg and re assess.

What time is your last meal before going to bed?

What time is your last coffee?

What time is your workout?

I’ve got the blue light blocking glasses and it definitely helps.
I'm gonna try 5mg starting tonight.

Last meal is typically an hourish before bed. Caffeine intake and training times depend on which shift I'm working on. On day shifts I have caffeine at 3pm and train at 4pm. Bed time is at 8-8:30pm. Getting to sleep is never an issue, it's staying asleep that I struggle with. I'm gonna look into those blue light glasses.

i've found some cbd "drops" that are 15mg/mL CBD & 1mg/mL THC.
does that sound reasonable? I can't seem to see any products have that literally 0 THC.

does that sound reasonable? I can't seem to see any products have that literally 0 THC.
For me THC a couple hours before I plan on sleeping is better than just before sleep. If I smoke just before bed, sometimes it will keep me awake. A couple hours before bed, I find it beneficial.

For me THC a couple hours before I plan on sleeping is better than just before sleep. If I smoke just before bed, sometimes it will keep me awake. A couple hours before bed, I find it beneficial.
THC is bad for the the REM cycle if using constantly, you should try CBD instead and see if it works for you. THC might help you fall asleep initially but you need to hit the REM cycle for proper sleep.

There are other cannabinoids such as CBN (oxidized THC) that will help you fall asleep too but if you want proper sleep then CBD is the way to go. I've said it a few times and have worked in the industry for years. To each their own though (y)

I just got some yesterday, no thc, made in Canada, local dispensary The Haze Co in ON has it as I'm here visiting family for a few days and you can get it online: Axea Daytime CBD Isolate Oil

Fyi: dosing took me a min to do the math as it comes with a 1ml syringe like for kids tylenol that clicks at each 0.1ml which is neat, 0.2ml is 10mg CBD, which should give me 150 doses per bottle.

1mg/mL of THC is about the equivalent of alcohol within a non-alcoholic beer. I wouldn't be worried about minuscule amounts like that. Its often included so you get a "full spectrum" product which encourages the entourage effect

THC is bad for the the REM cycle if using constantly, you should try CBD instead and see if it works for you. THC might help you fall asleep initially but you need to hit the REM cycle for proper sleep.

There are other cannabinoids such as CBN (oxidized THC) that will help you fall asleep too but if you want proper sleep then CBD is the way to go. I've said it a few times and have worked in the industry for years. To each their own though (y)

Actually the oil cartridge I have been using has CBD and CBN in it as well, can't remember the amounts though. I am going to take your advice for sure as well, and pick up an oil cartridge with only CBD / CBN and without THC and give that a whirl. Thank you for sharing sir.