Improving sleep quality

BanditNOLIMIT

Trusted Member
Hey all

My greatest set back in my bodybuilding endeavors is certainly sleep quality. I've been making it my mission for upwards of a year now to improve it. Though I've made great improvement, it's far from perfect. I'm starting this thread to bounce some ideas around, maybe others have experienced similar issues and resolved them.

I know in most cases stimulant use is likely the culprit. I haven't consumed a single MG of stimulants in several months, so I can rule that out right out of the gate.

What I've observed is that my sleep is significantly worse on training days. When it comes time to hit the hay, my CNS still feels jacked up. This results in me waking roughly 5 times during the night, never fully getting into a deep sleep. On rest days, I sleep much deeper and only wake once, maybe twice (to pee). I also feel much more rested after those nights, obviously. I train at 4-5pm, and typically aim to be in bed at 8pm. This doesn't give me a ton of time to "whine down". I should also mention that I work a rotating shift. When I'm working afternoon shift, sleep is quite a bit better. I'm able to train much earlier in the day which allows me to avoid the issue for the most part. Some days I'll still have sleep struggles while on afternoon shift, but that's usually related to other stresses.

Any how, has anyone else ever struggled and overcame this? Or is this something I'm just going to have to deal with? Would love to hear some thoughts.

Do you have a sleep apnea machine?

I used to have issues sleeping before and I would get up do downstairs and watch tv and try to pass out. Ever since the machine, I don't wake up.

Your shift work could be the biggest culprit.

For me bro I usually take
Melatonin
Magnesium usually helps
Or on days neither of those don't work a big fat joint helps as well ahaha heavy on the indica side

Yep this is exactly my protocol as well.
I go through phases regardless though, sleep well for a while, sleep like shit for a while, rinse and repeat.

Hey all

My greatest set back in my bodybuilding endeavors is certainly sleep quality. I've been making it my mission for upwards of a year now to improve it. Though I've made great improvement, it's far from perfect. I'm starting this thread to bounce some ideas around, maybe others have experienced similar issues and resolved them.

I know in most cases stimulant use is likely the culprit. I haven't consumed a single MG of stimulants in several months, so I can rule that out right out of the gate.

What I've observed is that my sleep is significantly worse on training days. When it comes time to hit the hay, my CNS still feels jacked up. This results in me waking roughly 5 times during the night, never fully getting into a deep sleep. On rest days, I sleep much deeper and only wake once, maybe twice (to pee). I also feel much more rested after those nights, obviously. I train at 4-5pm, and typically aim to be in bed at 8pm. This doesn't give me a ton of time to "whine down". I should also mention that I work a rotating shift. When I'm working afternoon shift, sleep is quite a bit better. I'm able to train much earlier in the day which allows me to avoid the issue for the most part. Some days I'll still have sleep struggles while on afternoon shift, but that's usually related to other stresses.

Any how, has anyone else ever struggled and overcame this? Or is this something I'm just going to have to deal with? Would love to hear some thoughts.

My go to's are either a blow job or if I really need sleep pounding my bitches ass works for me

I sleep like a baby after that. Lol

For me bro I usually take
Melatonin
Magnesium usually helps
Or on days neither of those don't work a big fat joint helps as well ahaha heavy on the indica side
I'm currently using those supps. What doses are you using? I'm doing melatonin 5mg and magnesium 400mg with my last meal.
Weed definitely has helped me in the past, but I haven't used it in years. I absolutely hate being high. It takes me through a rollercoaster of anxiety. I might consider giving it a try though

Do you have a sleep apnea machine?

I used to have issues sleeping before and I would get up do downstairs and watch tv and try to pass out. Ever since the machine, I don't wake up.

Your shift work could be the biggest culprit.
I don't have a sleep ap machine. I really should go for a sleep study. Is it a fairly easy process? Can it be done at home?

Yep this is exactly my protocol as well.
I go through phases regardless though, sleep well for a while, sleep like shit for a while, rinse and repeat.
Same here. I just finished deloading, an entire week with no training and my sleep was incredible. First training day back, you guessed it, sleep was horrendous.

I'd say you might be over training. I get it. A decent fitbit or woop would tell you all your sleep and training effects

I'd say you might be over training. I get it. A decent fitbit or woop would tell you all your sleep and training effects
I think that's definitely part of the issue. I do have the propensity to keep pushing when my body tells me I need a break. However, I did just come off a week long deload, didn't touch a weight. Sleep was great during that period and then went to shit literally the first day back. Maybe I need to reduce training volume? I already train moderate-low volume though. 4-5 movements per session, 2 working sets per.

I think that's definitely part of the issue. I do have the propensity to keep pushing when my body tells me I need a break. However, I did just come off a week long deload, didn't touch a weight. Sleep was great during that period and then went to shit literally the first day back. Maybe I need to reduce training volume? I already train moderate-low volume though. 4-5 movements per session, 2 working sets per.
I've heard some credible sources say it could take a deload of 3 weeks to a month to recover from over training. I'm not saying it is or isn't but just what I've heard

I've heard some credible sources say it could take a deload of 3 weeks to a month to recover from over training. I'm not saying it is or isn't but just what I've heard
I've actually heard this as well. Maybe I don't give myself enough credit. I never thought I could work hard enough to build up that much fatigue😅

Eliminate all caffeine after lunch time. It has a long half life . Zma before bed, block off all light sources, led lights, sunlight. Drop the temperature in your room a couple degrees. Shower at night, it cools the core.

Eliminate all caffeine after lunch time. It has a long half life . Zma before bed, block off all light sources, led lights, sunlight. Drop the temperature in your room a couple degrees. Shower at night, it cools the core.
I literally do all these things already! As per my OP I've actually eliminated caffeine entirely and it's helped a ton.

Geezus then you need to smoke a joint..lol. actually cbd might help if you haven't tried it.
Might have to give that a try. I've looked in to some cbd products but they looked ridiculously expensive for something that a lot of people are skeptical about. I guess the only thing it could hurt is my wallet. I can't handle THC so cbd would definitely be a better option for me

Might have to give that a try. I've looked in to some cbd products but they looked ridiculously expensive for something that a lot of people are skeptical about. I guess the only thing it could hurt is my wallet. I can't handle THC so cbd would definitely be a better option for me
Yes cbd is pretty expensive. And I think your tolerance builds up like most things you will eventually need more