boxing as self defence

I loved boxing and kickboxing when I was a kid. Did that and kung Fu for a decade.
Kung fu is basically unless in a fight, but the punching and kicking you learn is useful.
since I wasn’t tall, or big, when I boxed I always tried to get into the inside, so I practiced punching as hard as I could in very close quarters, and could hit full strength at a short distance.
‘This came in handy in fights, because untrained guys always tried to get me in a headlock. Gave me a lot to hit when they held on to my head with both hands, plus I’d pick them up and smash them on objects in the area. I used to try and get them to grab me in a headlock.
If I was normal sized or bigger and more athletic, juju, judo would be my pick. Had a buddy who trained in judo, no one could touch him.

For someone smaller, boxing is great. 9 out of 10 times whoever lands first punch is the winner in street fights that I’ve witnessed.

Once my grandsons coordination keeps up to his growth (hes5’6” at 10) then I think boxing would be great for him to help with coordination, but his natural tendancy is to hit the ground on his back and defend himself, so maybe some sort of ground defence, lol.

it’s been 30 years since I’ve trained and have lost my ability to respond to a punch or counter attack. It was as frustrating as hell when I was playing with my grandson with gloves on and he kept punching me in the head, especially since he was erratic, lol.

Nope. Never, Sorbs.
Well that’s cool. What did you punch for years to build that up? Wood, one of those sand bags.
I used to punch and kick one of those skinny sand bags to toughen up my shins and knuckles.

Well that’s cool. What did you punch for years to build that up? Wood, one of those sand bags.
I used to punch and kick one of those skinny sand bags to toughen up my shins and knuckles.
Mainly a Makiwara and dense rope wrapped around my Mook Jong.

I have been taking boxing for the last couple months and I can honestly say my confidence has improved in unexpected combat.

with that being said boxing is not my first form of fighting and will not be my last, this winter I intend on getting into kickboxing or Muay Thai, I enjoy the discipline those classes teach you.

I was a wrestler for many years and took tae kwon do and karate, dabbled in judo.
The most effective defender/ offends for me was wrestling. I was always strong and stout at 6’1 after growing completed.
So it was good to learn to punch etc. And even though I focused hard on using two knuckles and building the bone mass up in them. I still broke my pinkie knuckle and the one beside it a couple different times and still pushed back and causes minor pain now and then.
But I was quick and agile and strong, so wrestling let me tie up many a street thug and take them out.
So wrestling for me with punching knowledge was excellent and I always did well.
Growing up as a farm kid and then moving to Winnipeg rough area makes one a man pretty quick. Lol
Many many experiences over the years.
Some fast punchers that had no ground game were wrapped up in a ball many times.
Lol
But those were the good ol days. Just starting kick boxing now and humbled. All good it’s great to realize my weakness and work on it.

I like Aikido. It's a shame nobody knows how to be a good Uke these days...

I think Aikido can be legit useful if one has a very, very high level of competency but IME the number of those folks must be very, very low. My opinion here is admittedly not based on a very global experience but rather run ins with self proclaimed experts or black belts. There was a swell of them in my area for a time that seemed to be overly proud of themselves they all got dismantled easily.

Whatever gets you training consistently is the best for self-defence. I like boxing, but it is from Pekiti Tirsia Kali. It has Dumog for groundwork and lots of traps, low kicks and checks. If you stick with Western Boxing; that is fine. It would be best if you practiced bag work without gloves occasionally to get used to the feel.
Is that anything like Panantukan? I remember my Modern Arnis datu used to talk about that - and incorporate bits of it into the training.

We also had a muay thai instructor in the gym. I ended up gravitating to that more.

Is that anything like Panantukan? I remember my Modern Arnis datu used to talk about that - and incorporate bits of it into the training.

We also had a muay thai instructor in the gym. I ended up gravitating to that more.
Yes, it is, sir.

I think Aikido can be legit useful if one has a very, very high level of competency but IME the number of those folks must be very, very low. My opinion here is admittedly not based on a very global experience but rather run ins with self proclaimed experts or black belts. There was a swell of them in my area for a time that seemed to be overly proud of themselves they all got dismantled easily.
I lived with a guy who had a black belt in Aikido, and he admitted that it was mostly useless. He said anyone with some boxing training is much further ahead. Having a black belt in a martial art is not proof of proficiency. I saw a karate black belt get his ass handed to him by a street fighter. The guy never had a chance. However, when you are trained and trained well, the advantage is awesome. A buddy of mine got into a fight with 8 guys, and he walked away with barely a scratch. They picked the wrong guy that night.

I did karate as a young kid, and besides a couple rolls on the mat in school wrestling and a few street/jail tustles I’ve never had much training or practice. I’ve won more than I’ve lost, but it’s still something I want to get into. Gotta be able to defend yourself and your family right

discussion i seem to always get into at parties. thought id bring it here cuz there seems to be much martial arts experience here.
ive studied much martial arts (mostly arnis) when i was young and the general consensus was not to use your bare knuckles in a fight but in my observations, ive never seen as effective street defence as boxing. im not talking stupid after bar shit shows. boxers are the only ones to be able to react to a unexpected attack. i dont just mean vets, ive seen kids do it too. no fancy stance, no fancy waving of arms. a bob down and upward fast, short attack to the jaw and ko. most people miss what happened.
is studying boxing for self defence a bad idea?
can the hand be conditioned to prevent hand injury? knuckle push up do anythin?
Bro boxing is the ultimate for self defence go train at proper boxing gym 6 days a week for a year and learn the science.........you’ll be wayyyyyyyy more equipped for any situation than some untrained guy

I lived with a guy who had a black belt in Aikido, and he admitted that it was mostly useless. He said anyone with some boxing training is much further ahead. Having a black belt in a martial art is not proof of proficiency. I saw a karate black belt get his ass handed to him by a street fighter. The guy never had a chance. However, when you are trained and trained well, the advantage is awesome. A buddy of mine got into a fight with 8 guys, and he walked away with barely a scratch. They picked the wrong
I lived with a guy who had a black belt in Aikido, and he admitted that it was mostly useless. He said anyone with some boxing training is much further ahead. Having a black belt in a martial art is not proof of proficiency. I saw a karate black belt get his ass handed to him by a street fighter. The guy never had a chance. However, when you are trained and trained well, the advantage is awesome. A buddy of mine got into a fight with 8 guys, and he walked away with barely a scratch. They picked the wrong guy that night.
mostly????? Completely fuckin useless hahahhahahah if you think gaykido could help you in anyways In any type of fight whatsoever you are very ignorant and green on violence and no ABSOLUTLEY fuck all!!!!! LOL no offence that shit will get you killed if anything giving you some false ass confidence 😂😂😂😂😂🤣

discussion i seem to always get into at parties. thought id bring it here cuz there seems to be much martial arts experience here.
ive studied much martial arts (mostly arnis) when i was young and the general consensus was not to use your bare knuckles in a fight but in my observations, ive never seen as effective street defence as boxing. im not talking stupid after bar shit shows. boxers are the only ones to be able to react to a unexpected attack. i dont just mean vets, ive seen kids do it too. no fancy stance, no fancy waving of arms. a bob down and upward fast, short attack to the jaw and ko. most people miss what happened.
is studying boxing for self defence a bad idea?
can the hand be conditioned to prevent hand injury? knuckle push up do anythin?
Bro if you need to be pointed to a proper boxing gym or Muay Thai whatever is legit where you live as in train competitive fighters that win have declorAted coaches etc. You see it’s all garbage if you go to any McDojo and don’t get trained properly by some fuckin charlotten. Dm me if you want me to help you find a proper gym in your area a lot of sheisters in this game 90 percent crap

If we are talking party fights.. then watch bas ruten self defense videos.. alot of stupid but real world stuff he shows that works. highly entertaining to watch as well.
Boxing its definitely effective, the best, maybe not.
As for breaking your hand..it will can happen. In a real fight it doesn't take much for your hand to hit weird, or not exactly in the right spot. Ive broken mine before on a guys head..lol. my 2 outside fingers, broke them bones in my hand.
The best and that’s coming from a guy who competed in Muay Thai professionaly..........here’s my list of things to teach someone how to fight in this exact order....... 1 boxing get footwork learn how to move your head sick timing and punch ppl In the face heavy combinations unlike Muay Thai.......2 wrestling cus street fights rarely don’t go into a clinch than to the ground if your decent wrestler you’ll be off the ground as fast as you got there......3 Muay Thai learn the clinch learn how to elbow and knee kick.........4 bjj so you know what to do on the ground if you’re absolutley forced there

Muay Thai is sick for striking but way better when you learn boxing first Muay Thai you aren’t as evasive with the footwork you’ll lose points like that it’s way more toe to toe and you use all your weapons some trainers focus heavy on boxing but it’s even better if you started with actual western boxing cus punches to the face and head trauma is what finishes fights the best

Whatever gets you training consistently is the best for self-defence. I like boxing, but it is from Pekiti Tirsia Kali. It has Dumog for groundwork and lots of traps, low kicks and checks. If you stick with Western Boxing; that is fine. It would be best if you practiced bag work without gloves occasionally to get used to the feel.
Word bro that’s good to boxing grappling and some kick fighting that’s proper same as what I said just different lol

I do t get in street fights I’m almost 38 but if I did the only real kick fighting I would do is blast in a low kick maybe but mostly aim for the dick LOL that’s usually a good way to put the fight in your favour

As far as boxing for self defence, I think any training will help.

First lesson of any martial art or boxing is “Never start the fight and only finish it when there are no other options”
That’s all fine and great but when your well trained you’ll see if someone’s loading up to hit you LOL I’m not gonna let someone hit me first! They start posturing and looking like they’re gonna go they’re getting rocked on the spot hahahahahaha