boxing as self defence

discussion i seem to always get into at parties. thought id bring it here cuz there seems to be much martial arts experience here.
ive studied much martial arts (mostly arnis) when i was young and the general consensus was not to use your bare knuckles in a fight but in my observations, ive never seen as effective street defence as boxing. im not talking stupid after bar shit shows. boxers are the only ones to be able to react to a unexpected attack. i dont just mean vets, ive seen kids do it too. no fancy stance, no fancy waving of arms. a bob down and upward fast, short attack to the jaw and ko. most people miss what happened.
is studying boxing for self defence a bad idea?
can the hand be conditioned to prevent hand injury? knuckle push up do anythin?
Loooooooool no u don’t need knuckle push ups or anything hahahhaha they’ll train you with wrapped hands and gloves but if you go to a gym asking about street fighting and self defence they’ll probly think your a bit stupid tbh just go learn the sport don’t worry about knuckle push ups and that it could help in theory but nothing will help until you actually learn what to do

As far as boxing for self defence, I think any training will help.

First lesson of any martial art or boxing is “Never start the fight and only finish it when there are no other options”
And no not any training will help learn something stupid like Akido or some stupid fuckin shit like that it will be worse than just swinging for the fences

discussion i seem to always get into at parties. thought id bring it here cuz there seems to be much martial arts experience here.
ive studied much martial arts (mostly arnis) when i was young and the general consensus was not to use your bare knuckles in a fight but in my observations, ive never seen as effective street defence as boxing. im not talking stupid after bar shit shows. boxers are the only ones to be able to react to a unexpected attack. i dont just mean vets, ive seen kids do it too. no fancy stance, no fancy waving of arms. a bob down and upward fast, short attack to the jaw and ko. most people miss what happened.
is studying boxing for self defence a bad idea?
can the hand be conditioned to prevent hand injury? knuckle push up do anythin?
And no the hand can’t be conditioned to prevent injury lmao

I think Aikido can be legit useful if one has a very, very high level of competency but IME the number of those folks must be very, very low. My opinion here is admittedly not based on a very global experience but rather run ins with self proclaimed experts or black belts. There was a swell of them in my area for a time that seemed to be overly proud of themselves they all got dismantled easily.
Akido is garbage loooool useful for getting killed hahahhahahahha this is not up for discussion that’s like saying northern pharma is awesome lol

Bro if you need to be pointed to a proper boxing gym or Muay Thai whatever is legit where you live as in train competitive fighters that win have declorAted coaches etc. You see it’s all garbage if you go to any McDojo and don’t get trained properly by some fuckin charlotten. Dm me if you want me to help you find a proper gym in your area a lot of sheisters in this game 90 percent crap
When I trained at Frank Lees forever ago, he would teach street fighting after we did Kung fu training (kids class). The street fighting was brutal. Nothing was restricted, finger in eyes, punches in throat, groin. Stomp or kick the head when down on ground. He said it was for a last restart if you were out matched or out numbered. Truthfully I was more worried I’d really hurt someone. he taught the woman the same defence techniques.
I think it was meant for if an adult was trying to abduct you.

When I trained at Frank Lees forever ago, he would teach street fighting after we did Kung fu training (kids class). The street fighting was brutal. Nothing was restricted, finger in eyes, punches in throat, groin. Stomp or kick the head when down on ground. He said it was for a last restart if you were out matched or out numbered. Truthfully I was more worried I’d really hurt someone. he taught the woman the same defence techniques.
Frank lee legit forsure and that’s a rare exception hard to find street fighting training from a competent instructor

He’s been around a long time anyone in Edmonton I would reccomend him still now he has guys fighting in Muay Thai still

He’s been around a long time anyone in Edmonton I would reccomend him still now he has guys fighting in Muay Thai still
Yep, I trained there when it very first opened.
I even got to box with Billy Chow, he knew what I was going to do before I did it, lol.
Frank for the first two years trained us personally. At first he was very tough, taught us like he was taught. I remember having to hold the horse stance for 30 min to learn to ignore pain, lol. If you were not low enough he’d come over and push you down.

My dad trained in his basement before he open his studio. Him and my dad were friends.

Truthfully I stopped going when I was 16, and I was training the kids class. I wasn’t learning anything anymore, and kids were getting belts that should have never got a belt, but if they didn’t feel like they were advancing they would quit. Plus I was asked to be nice. My dad was paying a yearly fee for me to teach, lol.

It was cool at first.

I enjoyed boxing, or kickboxing more. Boxing was my favourite. I box with anyone who wanted to. It was great experience to fight different people at different heights. I used to be great at getting out of the way and counter punching.

Ya back in the day Kung fu and all that crap was a hot seller LOL now a days not at all mma proved what’s real and what’s crap

Ya back in the day Kung fu and all that crap was a hot seller LOL now a days not at all mma proved what’s real and what’s crap
Yeah, I never used Kung fu in a fight. Boxing came in way more handy.
What Kung fu taught me was how to ignore pain, got me in shape to box.
Lol, I still remember my dad punching me in the abs to toughen them up and learn how to asorb punches.
I used to let the kids at school to punch me in the gut. I’d cover my balls just in case, lol.

Bones in your hands are little skulls are thick and hard your hallucinating if you think you’re right lmfao I’m not the guy to argue with on this

@403muaythai
I've done some boxing, never had a run in with anyone who knew Aikido, and as a blackbelt it was quite telling to have him admit that it was useless. Before I knew better I had allowed myself to get dragged to the ground, in a fight in which I had been doing well, that is, until I got kicked in the head by one of his friends. After that I never got into a fight alone. Since then I've never taken a fight to the ground as there are too many unknowns. If I'm losing the battle after a few punches I have no problem conceding. I can take care of myself, but only a fool keeps going when they're clearly outmatched. Of course, I'm referring to a street fight.

I think one of the worst things that can happen is to get knocked off your feet. I know someone who got into a fight, caught the guy with a good hook to the chin, the guy fell back and cracked his skull on the curb. All because he couldn't walk away from some name calling. He was lucky the guy didn't die, but he still got 4 years for that mistake.

I should mention that I haven't been in a fight in ages, and have no desire to be. Wouldn't mind doing some training, but we'll see.

Last edited:
A buddy of mine almost went to jail b/c he kicked a guy in the head during a fight in h.s. I went to court that day and you could see the blood drain from his face when the prosecution asked for 6 months in jail. He had just turned 18. Said he had never been so scared. lol

It wasn't a full, wind up kick either, but a kick to the head is a kick to the head. He avoided jail, he was lucky.

LOL ya hey well a shit Ton of my bro’s currently fight in Lethwei and bare knuckle boxing and hurt they’re hands so I don’t care what you think your wrong
Bones in your hands are little skulls are thick and hard your hallucinating if you think you’re right lmfao I’m not the guy to argue with on this
So you are trying to say their is no way to make your skin or bones more resistant to injury? Hilarious. Okay I guess if that's the most intelligent, logical response you are able to provide I won't waste my time with you then. Sounds like your attitude sucks as well. Maybe you are arguing the point with the wrong guy as I personally have had two clinical studies that followed me over the course of years done that proved it, although not on my hands. I was told they were written up in peer reviewed medical journals so you could probably still find them today. Thanks for the laugh.

I'm not gonna give you all the answers but the funniest thing is that you are saying this on a bodybuilding forum which means you are blissfully unaware of some of the simple and pretty well known facts about how this all works within this world. Pssst, I'll tell you one of the lesser know things just cause I'm nice like that- certain AAS are helpful in this process too although that does not refute your incorrect "ugh, me tough bro" assertion because you specifically said "conditioned"

How many fights you have under your belt?
Relevance? You sure jump to your keyboard tough guy shit quick don't you? Yeah I know you scolded me before, you're a real fighter not a keyboard warrior. You may be a legit pro but you act like a big baby, if you don't have anything intelligent to say and can't resist going all strawman because of that you ain't worth my time.

BTW, I kick boxed and retired with a perfect ammy record, but again that's completely irrelevant to the point being discussed

So you are trying to say their is no way to make your skin or bones more resistant to injury? Hilarious. Okay I guess if that's the most intelligent, logical response you are able to provide I won't waste my time with you then. Sounds like your attitude sucks as well. Maybe you are arguing the point with the wrong guy as I personally have had two clinical studies that followed me over the course of years done that proved it, although not on my hands. I was told they were written up in peer reviewed medical journals so you could probably still find them today. Thanks for the laugh.

I'm not gonna give you all the answers but the funniest thing is that you are saying this on a bodybuilding forum which means you are blissfully unaware of some of the simple and pretty well known facts about how this all works within this world. Pssst, I'll tell you one of the lesser know things just cause I'm nice like that- certain AAS are helpful in this process too although that does not refute your incorrect "ugh, me tough bro" assertion because you specifically said "conditioned"

Relevance? You sure jump to your keyboard tough guy shit quick don't you? Yeah I know you scolded me before, you're a real fighter not a keyboard warrior. You may be a legit pro but you act like a big baby, if you don't have anything intelligent to say and can't resist going all strawman because of that you ain't worth my time.

BTW, I kick boxed and retired with a perfect ammy record, but again that's completely irrelevant to the point being discussed
You’re talking fuckin trash that’s why looooool you can make your hands strong enough to not get injured from impact with someone’s skull is the dumbest load of garbage I’ve ever heard absolutley fuckin stupid loooool you can probly make them a bit tougher but just hitting pads and bags and sparring will do that but to say you can make your hands so strong they can’t get injured in a fight is fuckin retarded hahahhahahhahhahahahaha feel the bones in your hands small little bones now your gonna tell me you can make them so strong they won’t break on someone’s head??????? Your ridicoulous buddy lmfao this is the dumbest argument I’ve ever been In hahahahahahahha ya you can make a huge knuckle like buddy has and that things probly strong af I’m sure but your hand is made up of a lot more little bones than that you’re fuckin wrong end of story loooooooool 😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I didn’t say there’s no way you couldn’t strengthen them some but no there’s absolutley no way possible to make them so strong that they can’t get hurt in a fight with bare knuckles LOL throw a big right hand and land on someone’s forehand hahahhahahaha dreaming buddy

A buddy of mine almost went to jail b/c he kicked a guy in the head during a fight in h.s. I went to court that day and you could see the blood drain from his face when the prosecution asked for 6 months in jail. He had just turned 18. Said he had never been so scared. lol

It wasn't a full, wind up kick either, but a kick to the head is a kick to the head. He avoided jail, he was lucky.
This is one of the many reason not to get in street fights lmao