Whats ur go to cut of steak on a budget?

Top sirloin is cheaper than flank and more tender if aged.

Since none of you live close to me I’ll tell you what I did when I was waiting for my shop to be built.

Buy the prime rib roasts that are in the discount bin because they are discoloured. Leave in your fridge for a week or a bit till it gets pretty rough looking on the outside (I forgot to mention, unwrap it)
Anyhow cut off the bones, peel off the fat, then cut the gross ends off and steak and freeze.

Youll cut them with a fork and they will be cheap

Or wait till striploins go on sale, go up to the butcher and ask for a whole piece still in the bag. Ask the date it was killed, then leave in your fridge till it hits 5 weeks from that date.
Then open and steak.

That is the key. Aging. No one does it anymore. My cooler is way more consistent than a fridge, so I can age for 10+ Weeks.

Top sirloin is a good steak with age. Thing is way too much loss when cutting for the normal person to buy a whole piece and age.

I pretty much eat ribeye exclusively. If I’m dieting then striploin, cook with the fat on then cut it off. I look at it this way, I’d rather save somewhere else and eat good meals. Only a few things in life you can really enjoy, eating is one.

Anyhow that’s my tricks.

For those who don’t know (god everyone should know by now), I’ve been in the meat industry since 1987, owned my own shop since 1995.

If you have any questions ask.

Interesting have never aged anything before ; thanks sorbs @Sorbate
It’s not hard. But most don’t because it’s a pain to wait weeks.
Then you need to remember to defrost your steak the day before to cook the next day.

Way easier just to cruise over to grab a fresh steak off the counter. But if you are looking to save money.

Just remember even on sale a striploin with be well over $100 so there’s the initial payout.

I’ll be hitting you up on this stuff when I know I’m going to stock up. Interesting what you were saying about connective tissues the other week or whatever. I’m a huge steak guy myself my favourite diets are daily steak lol.

On a tight budget when I was in school and just starting out living on my own. I always bought the sale meats. The 50 percent off pink stickers. When stores started to price match, I would watch flyers and get some better deals.
Then I bought a Costco card and would buy bulk tender loin or strip then cut them myself.
I hunt now also and fill the freezer in the fall with hopefully venison or bear. Duck geese and rabbit.
Variety of cuts I guess you could say.
Last year was a nice young buck. No bear. Thats the wife's thing and she never went. Lol

On a tight budget when I was in school and just starting out living on my own. I always bought the sale meats. The 50 percent off pink stickers. When stores started to price match, I would watch flyers and get some better deals.
Then I bought a Costco card and would buy bulk tender loin or strip then cut them myself.
I hunt now also and fill the freezer in the fall with hopefully venison or bear. Duck geese and rabbit.
Variety of cuts I guess you could say.
Last year was a nice young buck. No bear. Thats the wife's thing and she never went. Lol
I don’t like bear. But I guess it depends on where it harvested from.
There was one that smelled so bad (wasn’t soured, just whatever it was eating mixed with hormones) I called the hunter to come and pick it back up because it was stinking out my cooler and I could get a whiff of it in my shop. That was with it in a tub with a lid. I didn’t want to waste his money making it into uneatable sausage

Newfie steak can be good once in a while. Try cutting some thick slices and try it on the bbq. Its pretty good. Toaster works good too..lol
I make wicked bologna. I bet I eat bologna sandwiches on sourdough bread twice a week as work.

I’ll be hitting you up on this stuff when I know I’m going to stock up. Interesting what you were saying about connective tissues the other week or whatever. I’m a huge steak guy myself my favourite diets are daily steak lol.
You know it may be easier to eat jello, lol.
But blade steak/roast. Pork shoulder steaks, chicken legs and thigh is very high in connective tissue building blocks.
Adjust your carbs to stay with the calories.
My thought has always been, how does your body learn to burn fat, if you never use it as a fuel source?

You know it may be easier to eat jello, lol.
But blade steak/roast. Pork shoulder steaks, chicken legs and thigh is very high in connective tissue building blocks.
Adjust your carbs to stay with the calories.
My thought has always been, how does your body learn to burn fat, if you never use it as a fuel source?
I could never be a vegan idk how guys do it

i do a thing with sous vide that called warm aging. makes tough steak and roast taste like AAA good cuts. no exaggerations. i like doing this with blade as it is fatty and ends up tasting like rib. i fool guests with cheap roasts all the time.
method:
1-2hr at 39C depending on thickness
1-2hr at 49C
1-2hr at 54.8C then sear.
this method activates the same 2 enzymes in dry or wet aging just in 2 fast steps. probably breaks food handling rules but i havent hurt anyone yet.

A little off topic, but I also like to buy whole briskets in the winter I was paying $50 for a 15lb brisket and would smoke it, it eat what I can then freeze the rest.

Last edited:
I’ve gone to buying 1/4 or half cows. It’s a cost up front but for what you get you’re almost paying ground beef prices for your steaks and roasts. I also feed a family of 6 and try and keep the budget in check especially in this last year or so

i do a thing with sous vide that called warm aging. makes tough steak and roast taste like AAA good cuts. no exaggerations. i like doing this with blade as it is fatty and ends up tasting like rib. i fool guests with cheap roasts all the time.
method:
1-2hr at 39C depending on thickness
1-2hr at 49C
1-2hr at 54.8C then sear.
this method activates the same 2 enzymes in dry or wet aging just in 2 fast steps. probably breaks food handling rules but i havent hurt anyone yet.
No you are fine.
The minimal bacteria kill step is 54.4 for 122 minutes. It’s considered safe as of you cooked to 70 for one second.