Trudeua's new proposed gun laws

I may be mistaken, but i think as a federal law, not provincial one must be a member of a range to acquire, most stores sell you a range membership right there, or online easily available...
The Federal law requires declaring the use of the restricted firearm, ie. target shooting or collecting.
The CFO is tasked with ensuring that the registered firearm is being used in the manner claimed, and they are using registration in a gun club as proxy evidence for target shooting
This went to court in Ontario (provinces have jurisdiction over CFO decisions) a few years back and it was ruled that the CFO had no authority to force people to join a club because you can target shoot at clubs as a guest, or something like that. I can't find the ruling at the moment.

regardless, evidence is I know several people in Ontario without memberships and no problem.

Last edited:
I just picked up a Glock 17 Gen5 9mm this morning from the armseast site I was talking to the guy they are importing still so tottaly on the up and up.
That glock 17 gen 5 is mint, I like the glock 34 personally as a target shooter, next on my list may be the 44 as a little pinker/trainer I can send 500 rounds through and not bury myself in debt lol

The Federal law requires declaring the use of the restricted firearm, ie. target shooting or collecting.
The CFO is tasked with ensuring that the registered firearm is being used in the manner claimed, and they are using registration in a gun club as proxy evidence for target shooting
This went to court in Ontario (provinces have jurisdiction over CFO decisions) a few years back and it was ruled that the CFO had no authority to force people to join a club because you can target shoot at clubs as a guest, or something like that. I can't find the ruling at the moment.

regardless, evidence is I know several people in Ontario without memberships and no problem.
I called gun seller in Ontario just now as I’m looking to buy one of his guns and he said I need to give him proof of gun range membership. Buying a .45 from him he just got in today as a lot of guys are bringing in guns on consignment. Good time to watch the ads for sales etc. Some are like me and buying ammo and a couple more guns and others are giving up and letting them go.
Anyway I am just stating the guy said it’s law to buy a handgun to have membership upon purchase. After that it does not matter.
Like myself, I buy a gun range membership acquire handgun and it expires and there’s no law saying you need to keep it going, but you need a membership to purchase. Again that’s federal law not provincial.

I called gun seller in Ontario just now as I’m looking to buy one of his guns and he said I need to give him proof of gun range membership. Buying a .45 from him he just got in today as a lot of guys are bringing in guns on consignment. Good time to watch the ads for sales etc. Some are like me and buying ammo and a couple more guns and others are giving up and letting them go.
Anyway I am just stating the guy said it’s law to buy a handgun to have membership upon purchase. After that it does not matter.
Like myself, I buy a gun range membership acquire handgun and it expires and there’s no law saying you need to keep it going, but you need a membership to purchase. Again that’s federal law not provincial.
Yep it cost me 250$ to join mine before I could buy.

Don't know what to tell you other than he is wrong. There is no such law.
It is up to the provincial or territorial CFO to decide.
I personally know people on Ontario, who have registered their newly purchased handguns without belonging to a club.

This is what the Law says.

Authorization to transfer prohibited or restricted firearms
23.2 (1) A person may transfer a prohibited firearm or a restricted firearm if, at the time of the transfer,
(a) the transferee (buyer) holds a licence authorizing the transferee to acquire and possess that kind of firearm;
(b) the transferor (seller) has no reason to believe that the transferee is not authorized to acquire and possess that kind of firearm;
(c) the transferor (seller) informs the Registrar of the transfer;
(d) if the transferee (buyer) is an individual, the transferor (seller) informs a chief firearms officer of the transfer and obtains the authorization of the chief firearms officer for the transfer;
(e) a new registration certificate for the firearm is issued in accordance with this Act; and
(f) the prescribed conditions are met.
The Chief Firearms Officer (CFO) of the applicable province or territory decides whether you are eligible to have the firearm when you apply to register it.
Chief firearms officer
27 On being informed of a proposed transfer of a prohibited firearm or restricted firearm under section 23.2, a chief firearms officer shall
(a) verify
(i) whether the transferee (buyer) or individual holds a licence,
(ii) whether the transferee (buyer) or individual is still eligible to hold that licence, and
(iii) whether the licence authorizes the transferee or individual to acquire that kind of firearm or to acquire prohibited weapons, prohibited devices, ammunition or prohibited ammunition, as the case may be;
(b) in the case of a proposed transfer of a restricted firearm or a handgun referred to in subsection 12(6.1) (pre-December 1, 1998 handguns), verify the purpose for which the transferee or individual wishes to acquire the restricted firearm or handgun and determine whether the particular restricted firearm or handgun is appropriate for that purpose;
(c) decide whether to approve the transfer and inform the Registrar of that decision; and
(d) take the prescribed measures.
Permitted purposes
28 A chief firearms officer may approve the transfer to an individual of a restricted firearm or a handgun referred to in subsection 12(6.1) (pre-December 1, 1998 handguns) only if the chief firearms officer is satisfied
(a) that the individual needs the restricted firearm or handgun
(i) to protect the life of that individual or of other individuals, or
(ii) for use in connection with his or her lawful profession or occupation; or
(b) that the purpose for which the individual wishes to acquire the restricted firearm or handgun is
(i) for use in target practice, or a target shooting competition, under conditions specified in an authorization to transport or under the auspices of a shooting club or shooting range that is approved under section 29, or
(ii) to form part of a gun collection of the individual, in the case of an individual who satisfies the criteria described in section 30.

there is no Firearms Act range membership requirement. You can “target practice” without being a club member.
It is at the discretion of the provincial CFO and in Ontario, the CFO does not require membership.

Call the CFO and ask for yourself.

As an aside, I just discovered while looking into this that Alberta’s CFO has recently also dropped the membership requirement.
Supposedly you can now declare an intention to use drop in ranges in AB too.

Here in AB (I think you are here too), I know a few guys who told the store to pound sand as its not a requiremnt to hold a range pass to buy a handgun. And they got their gun

Are you on CGN or Albertaoutdoorsmen forum?

Just order your gun parts individually online and assemble them at home .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally know people on Ontario, who have registered their newly purchased handguns without belonging to a club.

The Chief Firearms Officer (CFO) of the applicable province or territory decides whether you are eligible to have the firearm when you apply to register it.

there is no Firearms Act range membership requirement. You can “target practice” without being a club member.
It is at the discretion of the provincial CFO and in Ontario, the CFO does not require membership.

As an aside, I just discovered while looking into this that Alberta’s CFO has recently also dropped the membership requirement.
cool, well i can only state what happened in all cases of me buying a handgun out West, and what happened 2 days ago.
I appreciate you putting this up here, i can now recite this if i am requested to get a membership at a range. I like the info, much better than hearsay, especially when i am being told this and i did call direct.
BUT if i cannot recite this info, as i tried to find it with no success, i am empowered. So Thank-you once again.

I guess the key words are they recently dropped it and i bought all mine in BC in person and online, and just the newest one from Ontario. BC has not dropped it. Upon inquiry at the cop shop they advised me it is a federal law to require a gun range membership and i can only transport with a permit, and only to a range and back. Again, you mentioned you dont knopw what else to tell me. No need, you provided good info i can look into it moreso now. BUT the RCMP were adamant if i even moved to a new home and didt use proper paperwork to transport the handguns, i would lose them. And be fined etc. So i will print this off and keep with me for future.
So i figured you only had second hand knowledge as it doesnt sound like you own any, and second hand knowledge on forums are usually just that....second hand. I said it before and i say once more, thanks.
Not putting stock in your info 100% as Hussell and several others had same experience, and i do not know you at all....lol...But hey, i have a starting point to research..

I guess the key words are they recently dropped it and i bought all mine in BC in person and online, and just the newest one from Ontario. BC has not dropped it. Upon inquiry at the cop shop they advised me it is a federal law to require a gun range membership and i can only transport with a permit, and only to a range and back. Again, you mentioned you dont knopw what else to tell me. No need, you provided good info i can look into it moreso now. BUT the RCMP were adamant if i even moved to a new home and didt use proper paperwork to transport the handguns, i would lose them. And be fined etc. So i will print this off and keep with me for future.
So i figured you only had second hand knowledge as it doesnt sound like you own any, and second hand knowledge on forums are usually just that....second hand. I said it before and i say once more, thanks.
Not putting stock in your info 100% as Hussell and several others had same experience, and i do not know you at all....lol...But hey, i have a starting point to research..
I have a membership, because I enjoy the range and go often enough to make it worthwhile. I just know several people who don't and bought handguns without issue.

Yes the RCMP web page says it is the law, probably to keep it simple. You run into lots of things like that with the RCMP and the CBSA too, where they have policies they claim are law, but aren't.

I have a membership, I just know several people who don't and bought handguns.
cool, i will research it..... In BC i already tried again, we NEED a membership, but now living in AB, ill see what happens, I am mostly confused as i had always believed handguns are federal jurisdiction and this is where i am confused.
All good. ill advise as i experience the info.

cool, i will research it..... In BC i already tried again, we NEED a membership, but now living in AB, ill see what happens, I am mostly confused as i had always believed handguns are federal jurisdiction and this is where i am confused.
All good. ill advise as i experience the info.
Keywords are "only if the chief firearms officer is satisfied"

The Alberta CFO is a woman, so good luck in satisfying her. 😂

I have a membership, because I enjoy the range and go often enough to make it worthwhile. I just know several people who don't and bought handguns without issue.

Yes the RCMP web page says it is the law, probably to keep it simple. You run into lots of things like that with the RCMP and the CBSA too, where they have policies they claim are law, but aren't.
i try to not speak to the po-po .......But the buggers have ability to impound shit....lol right or wrong, take away and court figures it pout. just trying to skip that step, ive dealt with them too many times in a misguided youth...to say the least!!!lol

Just order your gun parts individually online and assemble them at home .

this would work right up to the point you try and buy the receiver. It needs to be registered as a firearm.

This is an entirely different subject, very confusing now due to C-71 changes.
Runkle covers it well here.

Last edited:
this would work right up to the point you try and buy the receiver. It needs to be registered as a firearm.

A fictional person I may or may not know has done this a lot. Split up the order to various sites , order the parts individually . He never had a problem with the receiver, it was actually the firing pins which he had to order from south east Asia. This fictional person has several fully functional handguns as well as an sks.

A fictional person I may or may not know has done this a lot. Split up the order to various sites , order the parts individually . He never had a problem with the receiver, it was actually the firing pins which he had to order from south east Asia. This fictional person has several fully functional handguns as well as an sks.

It's not to hard to get anything whats hard is explaining it after you get popped lol