WHY the fuck don't people use safeties? Darwin Award Winner right here

gondar1

I'm kind of a big deal in Japan
Trusted Member
honestly if the spotter hadn’t been there he prob could’ve bailed by throwing the weight back too. shitty situation
Agreed. I've failed many squats that I had no business touching and have always been able to comfortably dump it behind me. I didn't actually watch the video though, was this was a very abnormal situation? Did he lose consciousness mid lift or something ?

Yep that is also why I don't use a spotter very often on squats and when I do it is made very clear back the fuck up if it goes sideways, I was taught to bail it backwards onto the safeties, poor guy didn't stand a chance

Agreed. I've failed many squats that I had no business touching and have always been able to comfortably dump it behind me. I didn't actually watch the video though, was this was a very abnormal situation? Did he lose consciousness mid lift or something ?
He should have never been under that much weight he didn't stand a chance but the setup was completely fucked poor guy.

Ive never understood what a spotter is gonna do from behind. Now I know, he lets it drop on you forward. Use a spotter on both sides with big weight. I like the the cage straps the best. Ive dumped a bar on the pins before and its very loud and hope the rack is bolted down

And if you are gonna use a spotter IMO he should be tucked right up behind you and spot under your arm pits. wtf was that guy gonna do with 400lbs at arms length. I generally never used one myself and only spot like that when teaching complete beginners (hot women) who probably aren't capable of dumping properly yet, maybe have a 25 on each side, I can catch that much. Don't get me wrong, no spotter for me with heavy weight though. Max spotter weight of maybe 225 if hi repping and grinding like 20 plus reps, and my spotter needs to weigh more than what's on the bar and I'm still using safeties.

no need to watch it really, I only watched it once but the impression I'm left with is it went roughly like this - something went wrong and he slammed almost straight down into the ground like a spike, tailbone first. Highbar setup so the bar was out in front of his centre of gravity and shoulders, when he stopped at the bottom the bar continued downward, breaking his neck I assume. If the bar was sharp like a blade it would have lopped off his head.

Saw another one like this that was a fatality with a guy doing box squats he failed and it folded him in half and broke his neck to.

I don’t know what that spotter was thinking, does he even train? Guarantee you the squatter was thinking about his spotter behind him and afraid to hurt him had he let the bar roll off back behind him.

I cringed watching the vid.

Am I the only one sick of people recording. Like I understand recording the life but then selling the video of someone's son dying in front of you. That guy needs his face kicked in.