What’s your career!

Thing is only a certian amount of us are highly motivated. Thru the years my wife has gotten perturbed by the work ethic of some of our staff, but I always tell her that if they worked like us, they would own their own business and not work for us. So we fix them up the best we can.
Some never make the cut, but most I can get to the point of being actually pretty good workers. Too bad after a couple years they leave because now they can get farther ahead (we are retail, only so much money to be made). So in essence we train them to be able to get a better job, lol. But we get a great employee for a couple years.
I see trades generating more interest these days. But honestly these kids, even people in my own age group are too soft to handle either the kind of work or the environment. Anyone who works in a trade knows we all like to carve each other and make fun, these kids would probably cry and write a suicide manifesto instead of toughening up. Lol its sad but its true. The physical aspect is another thing, kids raised by video games, social media etc and processed foods its tough for them to leave that kind of comfort. Ahh ill stop before i start ranting too much lol

I suppose @Cheapshot is right, not everyone has the drive, but it seems these days the number of people with that kind of drive is less and less, and to some degree i dont blame them.

I see trades generating more interest these days. But honestly these kids, even people in my own age group are too soft to handle either the kind of work or the environment. Anyone who works in a trade knows we all like to carve each other and make fun, these kids would probably cry and write a suicide manifesto instead of toughening up. Lol its sad but its true. The physical aspect is another thing, kids raised by video games, social media etc and processed foods its tough for them to leave that kind of comfort. Ahh ill stop before i start ranting too much lol

I suppose @Cheapshot is right, not everyone has the drive, but it seems these days the number of people with that kind of drive is less and less, and to some degree i dont blame them.
I got written up so many times at my.kast place for ball busting, and most of them were late thirties early 40s "tradesmen" but these guys I wouldnt even consider tradesmen, they held tickets but were useless, didn't want to get dirty or do any real work, too many soft people these days

Can't even give the apprentices shit anymore, you gotta have a feelings meeting

When I was a first year I got tools thrown at me called a retard, yelled at in other languages, shitty treated apprentices make better journeyman, and builds better work ethic, the kids coming up in the trades now just want 40 an hour to sit on their phones

And not all of them are like that, we get some farm kid apprentices who are just workhorses, green as fuck and don't know anything but they will grind out the day

I got written up so many times at my.kast place for ball busting, and most of them were late thirties early 40s "tradesmen" but these guys I wouldnt even consider tradesmen, they held tickets but were useless, didn't want to get dirty or do any real work, too many soft people these days

Can't even give the apprentices shit anymore, you gotta have a feelings meeting

When I was a first year I got tools thrown at me called a retard, yelled at in other languages, shitty treated apprentices make better journeyman, and builds better work ethic, the kids coming up in the trades now just want 40 an hour to sit on their phones

And not all of them are like that, we get some farm kid apprentices who are just workhorses, green as fuck and don't know anything but they will grind out the day
Thankfully where I'm at its not like that. Ball busting is the norm but it's definitely not cruel or wanting to cause harm. It's just the boys being the boys. I agree the kinds of things that some people consider abuse today made us into better men. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I have been pretty lucky and most people I hire, both men and woman are not whiners. And the ones who are a bit weaker learn to become tougher over time.

Thing is really how many people really want to work retail in the meat industry. Its kinda tough shitty work for not huge pay. So we take the ones who fall between the cracks and build them into great employees.

I still remember the one day, now part time student had just been hired, he was whining to the other part time student (in the cooler, I just happened to overhear) about how tough the job was, and the student that was being whined to said. "you can't be a pussy and work here, so you'll have to toughen up or find another job, Sorbate is a hard worker so he doesn't put up with whining" Truthfully I was a little proud of what that kid said, because he was kinda weak when he first started also. The new student bucked up and became a hard worker over time as well, worked for me for 3 years.

We all have pride in how tough we are at work and joke about how weak others we worked with at other jobs were.

Thing is, its not the kids fault. They need to be taught, and I know its frustrating to have to train work ethic, but I am always complemented on how great my staff is because I will spend the time to improve them. Shit one time a customers sister whos job is to train staff asked me how I got mine to work so well, I told her "daily beatings until moral improved" Obviously I was kidding, I am not a yeller. I worked for those types. The ones who stated things calmly but were serious and explained things I respected far more. We do tease the shit out of each other, but I take it as good as I give it.

I have been pretty lucky and most people I hire, both men and woman are not whiners. And the ones who are a bit weaker learn to become tougher over time.

Thing is really how many people really want to work retail in the meat industry. Its kinda tough shitty work for not huge pay. So we take the ones who fall between the cracks and build them into great employees.

I still remember the one day, now part time student had just been hired, he was whining to the other part time student (in the cooler, I just happened to overhear) about how tough the job was, and the student that was being whined to said. "you can't be a pussy and work here, so you'll have to toughen up or find another job, Sorbate is a hard worker so he doesn't put up with whining" Truthfully I was a little proud of what that kid said, because he was kinda weak when he first started also. The new student bucked up and became a hard worker over time as well, worked for me for 3 years.

We all have pride in how tough we are at work and joke about how weak others we worked with at other jobs were.

Thing is, its not the kids fault. They need to be taught, and I know its frustrating to have to train work ethic, but I am always complemented on how great my staff is because I will spend the time to improve them. Shit one time a customers sister whos job is to train staff asked me how I got mine to work so well, I told her "daily beatings until moral improved" Obviously I was kidding, I am not a yeller. I worked for those types. The ones who stated things calmly but were serious and explained things I respected far more. We do tease the shit out of each other, but I take it as good as I give it.
That's very admirable that you invest into your staff like that. People have a life out of work, if i can help pass on something that will help them i do the same. I've gained so much more respect this way than just being a guy that punches in and out. Younger guys and girls need positive male role models. It's what we need in times like this. 👍

I've got my red seal as an auto technician. Busted my ass early on and got my ticket at 21. I wonder what the hell is wrong with some of these kids coming into the shop, absolutely careless, no work ethic, no drive. And it sucks because its difficult to attract people into the trade these days, so we take what we can get i suppose.

Maybe im just getting old? I mean im still in my 20s so I suppose these fuckers are in my age group? Lol i dont know.
When I punched out with the OPP I was making decent money but it was after A LONG time/promotions. The money they offer 21-year-old guys (and gals) on day one of apprenticing in trades is almost...excessive. I believe someone should make what they can but I also know that downtown Fort McMurray is full of meth'd/crack'd out guys who can't keep themselves clean so that they can make their $65+ an hour pay with free flights home/back for 10-12 days off of every month to go with the 18-20 on. "Just stay clean, and keep your red seal for pipe fitter, electrician, etc etc etc" doesn't work for thousands and thousands of people and I wonder if some of it is because it's too easy for some.

Getting clean certified workers is a job in itself. A friend's daughter is in HR. She says there is about a 100 other HR companies in Ft McMurray which about matches the numbers of liquor stores.

That's very admirable that you invest into your staff like that. People have a life out of work, if i can help pass on something that will help them i do the same. I've gained so much more respect this way than just being a guy that punches in and out. Younger guys and girls need positive male role models. It's what we need in times like this. 👍
It's damn hard to get guys right out of the box who will go home at night with an ache or two from working for something. Playstation and Xbox don't give you aches as you slowly work your way up from a street punk to an OG Kingpin so why the fuck should you have to ache after putting 8 or *GASP* 10 in?

When I punched out with the OPP I was making decent money but it was after A LONG time/promotions. The money they offer 21-year-old guys (and gals) on day one of apprenticing in trades is almost...excessive. I believe someone should make what they can but I also know that downtown Fort McMurray is full of meth'd/crack'd out guys who can't keep themselves clean so that they can make their $65+ an hour pay with free flights home/back for 10-12 days off of every month to go with the 18-20 on. "Just stay clean, and keep your red seal for pipe fitter, electrician, etc etc etc" doesn't work for thousands and thousands of people and I wonder if some of it is because it's too easy for some.

Getting clean certified workers is a job in itself. A friend's daughter is in HR. She says there is about a 100 other HR companies in Ft McMurray which about matches the numbers of liquor stores.
Trades are definitely not for everyone. I'm not sure about the other trades, but i got minimum wage as a tire buster/apprentice. Automotive work really is a labor of love, compared to other trades the investment in tools and overall skill set especially in the aftermarket, never really matches the pay off of other trades, especially if you work for someone.
It's damn hard to get guys right out of the box who will go home at night with an ache or two from working for something. Playstation and Xbox don't give you aches as you slowly work your way up from a street punk to an OG Kingpin so why the fuck should you have to ache after putting 8 or *GASP* 10 in?
Lol why work hard in real life when you can get instant gratification and no pay in the digital world? C'mon man its a no brainer!

Depends. Sometimes on roofs, sometimes inside. I know my sisters husband makes 6 figures, he is in commercial hvac. My brother didn't like to work on dirty equipement and did installs in large roof top units (like the ones you can walk in the place on teh top of malls, Costco, ect. And 15 years ago was making like 75,000. Now this is Alberta.

There is a sign on the road on my way to work, and they are offering 75,000 to start and up to 8,000 signing bonus right now at Haven Home. This is southern Ontario. That is pretty decent money to start. This would be working on houses, so lowest paying jobs in the trade.

Thing is the industry is very short on HVAC engineers. Mind you, I would only do this because I like the problem solving, 90% of the time I can figure out what is wrong with my own units. I make a game out of it. Its what I am interested in.

Pick something that you think you would enjoy every day. Nothing worse then going to a job you hate.
I am a Millwright and a smart one at that so maybe I can find an apprenticeship in BC.

If you get your millwright and electrician tickets robotics seems to be the thing in demand.
I did the robotic thing for the last 5 years before going back to service work, if you can get into an actuall robotics company doing install and service it's great, like fanuc, kuka, or abb, I found maintenance too boring, I need to keep busy or I start getting restless and annoyed

I was going to do a robotics course but I can't find any jobs on Indeed for any robotics jobs in BC. Do you think they're here or it's more around Ontario?
Ontario is home to most of the robotics companies fanuc and kuka are both in mississauga, but widen your search to industrial maintenance for jobs, as a lot of these places will be using robots for.pick and place, paint or glue lines, automotive plants use a lot of robots

Ontario is home to most of the robotics companies fanuc and kuka are both in mississauga, but widen your search to industrial maintenance for jobs, as a lot of these places will be using robots for.pick and place, paint or glue lines, automotive plants use a lot of robots
Good luck to you if you do!

I left industrial maintenance and robotics a few months ago, robotics was cool, but I can't stand the plant mentality, I was.not happy
Lol I just got let go because of politics also I wasn't into extreme partying. I am really quite done with non-english speaking plants which seems to be the norm here in British Columbia. I've never once had a Christmas pot luck at work, only Diwali. Foods good but sucks when no one wants to talk with you because you were born here. People can say, "Oh you just don't have anything in common with them." But that isn't the case, they are all good cooks and I love cooking so...