Wexit

I never got this whole “taxes are a social contract to be a contributing member of society” thing

since when the fuck did I agree to that? And why is it that people honestly think that paying their taxes and “contributing to society” is what your value is based off of? I don’t owe society a fuckin penny, nor do I give a fuck about it or think that somehow I have more value for doing that. I don’t owe society shit and anyone who thinks that their value is based off what they “contribute to society” (ie, the government) is a brainwashed fuckwad.

A large gathering outside the US embassy yesterday. Apparently with the new Canada Mexico USA trade deal corruption is supposed to be investigated.
There was a package of evidence dropped off to the US embassy, and they are asking the USA for help to investigate Trudeau’s corruption
Trudont needs to be throwing in jail. I don't get how one guy can fuck up the oil industry so bad.

I never got this whole “taxes are a social contract to be a contributing member of society” thing

since when the fuck did I agree to that? And why is it that people honestly think that paying their taxes and “contributing to society” is what your value is based off of? I don’t owe society a fuckin penny, nor do I give a fuck about it or think that somehow I have more value for doing that. I don’t owe society shit and anyone who thinks that their value is based off what they “contribute to society” (ie, the government) is a brainwashed fuckwad.

Lol ya I thought this was funny as well
“Social contract”
Lick my bag!! I didn’t agree to anything.
Enforcement and theft would be a more accurate description

A few points.
Anyone who moved to Alberta during then non bust times and didn’t make it, didn’t really want to work.
Couldn’t find a job on the rigs, well lots if intown work even as a labourer that paid very well, and if you wanted to work a 60 hours week, the boss would have no issues with it if you were a great worker.

Secondly, for a little over 17 years I work on average 70+ hours a week, not including the times where I drove back to change the smokehouse, or repaired something that couldn’t be repaired during open hours, or the constantly thinking on how I was going to keep the push forward. For the first 6 years I made $25,000 a year. Yeah think of that for a minute, now it was 1995, but that was still min wage at a normal 40 hour week. I sacrificed at the start to reap the reward at the end, mine was a long term goal. And that is the vast majority of small, or any business.

As a normal employee, you have you to look after, as a business owner you have everyone to look after, right now 12 other people depend on me so they can make money and be able to live their lives. That is a contribution to society.

I have no issues paying a fair amount of taxes to help out. I’m at the max tax bracket. I pay a more taxes than someone who makes 50,000 a year just thru percentage, but just because after all my extra effort, I have more left over, does not mean someone else figures it my duty to give even more so they can be brought up to my level without having to put in the extra effort.

I agree, there are some who make more for less effort(lucky fuckers) there are also some who make less working way harder (poor bastards), but those are the outliers. For the most part, how hard you invest into your career is what you get out.
There is no point arguing about the outliers, they are a small blip of the reality. Thank good for the people who cannot work, their is a social net for them, and I have no issues contributing to that.

But buddy who just doesn’t feel like putting in the effort, but now wants subsidies because I’m blessed to have more, I don’t agree with, and unfortunately there is a lot of those.

And truthfully $200,000 a year, really isn’t that much money. You are comfortable, but by no means rich, you still can’t waste money on silly things. It doesn’t mean you can have a huge beautiful house or drive 100,000 vehicles and toys unless you accrue a lot of debt and then sacrificed somewhere else, like buying things on deals, or eating at home all the time. I watch the home shows with my wife, see people like me that have way more than I have, no way I could afford what they have, and some have very similar business, but are in the USA. A butcher shop owner in the USA that has a successful business in a smaller city like me is much farther ahead.

But there is a lot more population in the US to pay the taxes for the upkeep of the country. We pay extra to have this extra space, low pollution and so on. This extra space has really worked in our favour with respect to covid.

But man our politicians waste money so badly, and unfortunately the liberal ones really like to line their pockets.

But all in all my message is if you want more, go get it, don’t cry that your child tax credit wasn’t enough and the government should give more. And guilting me by saying I should contribute to society (which I likely already do more than you) because if I don’t contribute even more, makes me bad, makes me cringe as bad as when I hear the guilt posts about how if I don’t be really careful to not spread covid, or some 95 year old man, with cancer, copd and diabetes may die because of my choices (when I’m thinking that fucker is one foot on the banana peel, sucks to be you, and I’ll be there one day likely and it will suck to be me, but no way I’d guilt someone.)

Last edited:
A few points.
Anyone who moved to Alberta during then non bust times and didn’t make it, didn’t really want to work.
Couldn’t find a job on the rigs, well lots if intown work even as a labourer that paid very well, and if you wanted to work a 60 hours week, the boss would have no issues with it if you were a great worker.

Secondly, for a little over 17 years I work on average 70+ hours a week, not including the times where I drove back to change the smokehouse, or repaired something that couldn’t be repaired during open hours, or the constantly thinking on how I was going to keep the push forward. For the first 6 years I made $25,000 a year. Yeah think of that for a minute, now it was 1995, but that was still min wage at a normal 40 hour week. I sacrificed at the start to reap the reward at the end, mine was a long term goal. And that is the vast majority of small, or any business.

As a normal employee, you have you to look after, as a business owner you have everyone to look after, right now 12 other people depend on me so they can make money and be able to live their lives. That is a contribution to society.

I have no issues paying a fair amount of taxes to help out. I’m at the max tax bracket. I pay a more taxes than someone who makes 50,000 a year just thru percentage, but just because after all my extra effort, I have more left over, does not mean someone else figures it my duty to give even more so they can be brought up to my level without having to put in the extra effort.

I agree, there are some who make more for less effort(lucky fuckers) there are also some who make less working way harder (poor bastards), but those are the outliers. For the most part, how hard you invest into your career is what you get out.
There is no point arguing about the outliers, they are a small blip of the reality. Thank good for the people who cannot work, their is a social net for them, and I have no issues contributing to that.

But buddy who just doesn’t feel like putting in the effort, but now wants subsidies because I’m blessed to have more, I don’t agree with, and unfortunately there is a lot of those.

And truthfully $200,000 a year, really isn’t that much money. You are comfortable, but by no means rich, you still can’t waste money on silly things. It doesn’t mean you can have a huge beautiful house or drive 100,000 vehicles and toys unless you accrue a lot of debt and then sacrificed somewhere else, like buying things on deals, or eating at home all the time. I watch the home shows with my wife, see people like me that have way more than I have, no way I could afford what they have, and some have very similar business, but are in the USA. A butcher shop owner in the USA that has a successful business in a smaller city like me is much farther ahead.

But there is a lot more population in the US to pay the taxes for the upkeep of the country. We pay extra to have this extra space, low pollution and so on. This extra space has really worked in our favour with respect to covid.

But man our politicians waste money so badly, and unfortunately the liberal ones really like to line their pockets.

But all in all my message is if you want more, go get it, don’t cry that your child tax credit wasn’t enough and the government should give more. And guilting me by saying I should contribute to society (which I likely already do more than you) because if I don’t contribute even more, makes me bad, makes me cringe as bad as when I hear the guilt posts about how if I don’t be really careful to not spread covid, or some 95 year old man, with cancer, copd and diabetes may die because of my choices (when I’m thinking that fucker is one foot on the banana peel, sucks to be you, and I’ll be there one day likely and it will suck to be me, but no way I’d guilt someone.)

Very well said

I never said 1 hour safety meetings
Roughnecks don’t make 200k a year
And yes most jobs when you are away working are 7 days a week.
A common hitch for many people is 24 days on 4 off.

So anyhow let’s look at some math
7 days @ 12.5hrs = 87.5 hrs
Let’s say that person works 3 weeks
3 x 87.5 = 262.5hrs
Then let’s say they get a week off
Ok so that’s 262 hrs they worked for the month
Vs
The average Joe works 160 hrs a month
That is a 100 difference per

This is just your average run of the mill job in the oil patch. Supervisors and contractors often work months on end with no days off. I’ve done it for years
you don’t know shit about this industry it is quite apparent. You completely disregarded that I also mentioned many small business owners work these types of hour.

Since you don’t make much money because you want to enjoy your life as you go, it’s real easy to say high earners should pay more. Yes that is how it should go. You should be at home with your family enjoying your life. The men and women who are working their bags off should pay for your share of government services.

I am far from clueless. Call me whiner. You are the whiner. Typical libtard that wants to steal the other guys money.

I am done talking to you, I get bombarded with enough radical left bullshit on a daily basis. I’m watching this country be destroyed by people like you who are out of touch with reality.

You must be missing your whacko buddy @ Lepsyber

24 on 4 off? Then the industry has changed since I last spoke to my contacts out there. My buddy is a journeyman welder for CNQ, and it's 3 wk on 1 off. There are times when it can be busier, but that's the norm. His brothers who work on the rigs are the same. Pipefitter is 3 on 2 off, makes 150k/yr, or at least he was. I wasn't referring to supervisors as that's not the people I know, but compared to a doctor your hours are little different. Aside from the fact that a doctor invests a min of 7 years of higher education to have that job.

I never said anything about family, I don't have one and never did. I pay taxes on my earnings every year. The fact that I'm content making my salary shouldn't be a concern of yours. Our tax system is little different than many other developed countries, aside from countries like the U.S. in which you pay for everything. I never said higher earners should pay more, that's our tax system.

Was I whining? I replied to your complaining, that was it. It's too bad you're incapable of having a discussion without becoming emotional. Did I comment on your politics or social attitudes? No. I have a different attitude towards living my life, but that's my right. Don't like it? I don't care. None of what I said was an insult, it was an reply to an open forum comment.

As for the average job, your estimation is far from accurate. I and many I know often put in 2-3 hours a night furthering our careers, plus more on the weekends. During the winter and this shit heat summer weather I am working extra hours, which I don't get paid for, but which will contribute to better opportunities down the road. And, yes, there are people who work 40 hour weeks, and prefer to enjoy their free time doing whatever other than working. Do I judge them? No, and I don't believe you have a right to, but that's your choice. A two income family, like a friend of mine, who between the two make around 130k per year. Those are modest incomes, and they don't receive tax credits, aside from child-benefit, but so does everyone who has a child. That is, the household in which the child is being raised.

You've done well for yourself, which is good to hear, and I commend you for your hard work. I have nothing against that, and I wish more people were as industrious. And, I take no issue with people saving and/or working out of country. As for small business owners, that's different. If a business fails it can ruin a person, to the point that they may never recover. It's an all or nothing commitment. That's far different than being a plumber who can work nearly anywhere, so long as they are good at what they do. I know a couple plumbers who make around 200k/yr, and they sure as hell don't work 80hr weeks. Maybe 60 during busy season, but that tends to be over a 6 day period. They run their own small companies, meaning themselves and one or two apprentices. It's a fantastic career. I know a sheet metal worker who basically worked 6 days per week, 12 hour days for 2 years so that he could build and pay for his house outright. That was a 250K home 25 years ago. On the flip side I know workaholics, they live to work. I don't judge them either, just not what I want in life.

It's not an estimation of value, it's what comes with living in this country.

Anyhow, I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, it was an opinion.
A few points.

I agree, my point was that the issue has more to do with fiscal management as a whole, not whether we should abolish taxation. But, that seems to be how it was interpreted.

If you read my posts I never said I knew any rig hands who make 200k. I know a couple plumbers who do, and a welder who does very well. I know guys in real estate that easily clear 200k, as well as another in finance. The entire point was about seeing what you have, not what you don't, or could if things were different, b/c I can assure you nothing is going to change enough to suit whatever reality you wish existed. Taxes are inevitable, but how our country is managed fiscally is the real issue. There is no political competence, let alone true leadership, on either side of the aisle. There are other countries with similar tax structures which have free post-secondary education, and lower deficits, and we could have that as well.

I love this country, despite its faults, and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Things could certainly be improved, but nothing is perfect anywhere.

These days, taxes are the least of my concern. I need a place with a garage so I can get my own weights and workout when I want and how I want.

Lastly, in the spirit of CB we are all part of this community for a reason. The fact that we diverge on certain views should be irrelevant, and readily overlooked, but I get the impression some take diverging viewpoints to heart. I hesitate to make comments b/c it seems some cannot handle a rational discussion without getting butthurt.

Y
If you read my posts I never said I knew any rig hands who make 200k. I know a couple plumbers who do, and a welder who does very well. I know guys in real estate that easily clear 200k, as well as another in finance. The entire point was about seeing what you have, not what you don't, or could if things were different, b/c I can assure you nothing is going to change enough to suit whatever reality you wish existed. Taxes are inevitable, but how our country is managed fiscally is the real issue. There is no political competence. let alone true leadership, on either side of the aisle. There are other countries with similar tax structures which have free post-secondary education, better quality of life ratings, and we could have that as well.

I love this country, despite its faults. And, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Things could certainly be improved, but nothing is perfect anywhere.

These days, taxes are the least of my concern. I need a place with a garage so I can get my own weights and workout when I want and how I want.

Lastly, in the spirit of CB we are all part of this community for a reason. The fact that we diverge on certain views should be irrelevant, and readily overlooked. I hesitate to make comments b/c it seems some cannot handle a rational discussion without getting butthurt.
Yes and you have admitted that you havent really kept up with what is happening in Alberta and yet you are still talking about HOW TO SPEND FUCKING TAX DOLLARS THAT ARE NO LONGER COMING IN!
Wake The Fuck Up.
This country is crashing.

If you read my posts I never said I knew any rig hands who make 200k. I know a couple plumbers who do, and a welder who does very well. I know guys in real estate that easily clear 200k, as well as another in finance. The entire point was about seeing what you have, not what you don't, or could if things were different, b/c I can assure you nothing is going to change enough to suit whatever reality you wish existed. Taxes are inevitable, but how our country is managed fiscally is the real issue. There is no political competence, let alone true leadership, on either side of the aisle. There are other countries with similar tax structures which have free post-secondary education, and lower deficits, and we could have that as well.

I love this country, despite its faults, and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Things could certainly be improved, but nothing is perfect anywhere.

Lastly, in the spirit of CB we are all part of this community for a reason. The fact that we diverge on certain views should be irrelevant, and readily overlooked, but I get the impression some take diverging viewpoints to heart. I hesitate to make comments b/c it seems some cannot handle a rational discussion without getting butthurt.

Yes the government really needs to become more responsible. They should have a cap on how much they increase spending each year.

I’d bet the real estate friend works stupid hours, those guys are on call 24/7. And a plumber can make $200,000 a year if they want to put in the hours. But at the average rate of $40 an hour, 40 hour weeks won’t do it.

Like I said I don’t mind paying taxes if the were more responsible about spending it. I know people who are purchasers in the law department, every year they spend their budget or it will be reduced, so the get rid of perfectly good items and repurchase. And stupid things like staplers, chairs, printers, things that would last years.

Did you know it costs the Ontario government $400,000 per provincial meat plant it inspects each year. I’m not sure if that 400,000 is being properly spent. No other province has the rules OMAFRA has.
Honestly they could give me 4 million I’d shut down and in 10 short years after they removed the people and infrastructure that wasn’t needed, be ahead of the game.

Yes the government really needs to become more responsible. They should have a cap on how much they increase spending each year.

I’d bet the real estate friend works stupid hours, those guys are on call 24/7. And a plumber can make $200,000 a year if they want to put in the hours. But at the average rate of $40 an hour, 40 hour weeks won’t do it.

Like I said I don’t mind paying taxes if the were more responsible about spending it. I know people who are purchasers in the law department, every year they spend their budget or it will be reduced, so the get rid of perfectly good items and repurchase. And stupid things like staplers, chairs, printers, things that would last years.

Did you know it costs the Ontario government $400,000 per provincial meat plant it inspects each year. I’m not sure if that 400,000 is being properly spent. No other province has the rules OMAFRA has.
Honestly they could give me 4 million I’d shut down and in 10 short years after they removed the people and infrastructure that wasn’t needed, be ahead of the game.
I hear ya, and that's the refrain I hear from most people. If our finances were managed as well as some other countries we would be not only be further ahead, but better appreciate what our taxes are going towards. I have to agree with the comment about the size of our country and relatively small population, which is another reason I love this country. So much space, and so few people. We have it very good here, but with the proper management it could be better.
Have you hired a plumber lately? Those guys charge $80/hr. My buddy charges $120 for the first 2 hours, and that's a flat rate. If it takes him 30 minutes it's still $120. Every hour after it's $80.

I hear ya, and that's the refrain I hear from most people. If our finances were managed as well as some other countries we would be not only be further ahead, but better appreciate what our taxes are going towards. I have to agree with the comment about the size of our country and relatively small population, which is another reason I love this country. So much space, and so few people. We have it very good here, but with the proper management it could be better.
Have you hired a plumber lately? Those guys charge $80/hr. My buddy charges $120 for the first 2 hours, and that's a flat rate. If it takes him 30 minutes it's still $120. Every hour after it's $80.
No I haven’t hired one. I saw a post on Facebook yesterday that showed wages of trades, lol, why I used Facebook as a source?

Now I’m going to ask, that’s the rate or their take home pay? If he’s self employed, there is expenses, vehicle, insurance, work insurance, tools and so on. It could knock the take home down really quick.

I havnt hired any trade for years. Majority will not pay attention to the tiny details, so I do it myself. Right now I’m a tile setter, redoing the kitchen floor, then I’ll be a wallboard guy, changing some walks around, and then a carpenter to put up the trim. Shit I wonder what my rate would be, lol.

Btw, it’s not that tough pulling tile up from ditra mat, lol, 3 hours to do a 10x10 room.
F5EA4C7C-9CCD-4286-8187-61F18E833A7B.jpeg

No I haven’t hired one. I saw a post on Facebook yesterday that showed wages of trades, lol, why I used Facebook as a source?

Now I’m going to ask, that’s the rate or their take home pay? If he’s self employed, there is expenses, vehicle, insurance, work insurance, tools and so on. It could knock the take home down really quick.

I havnt hired any trade for years. Majority will not pay attention to the tiny details, so I do it myself. Right now I’m a tile setter, redoing the kitchen floor, then I’ll be a wallboard guy, changing some walks around, and then a carpenter to put up the trim. Shit I wonder what my rate would be, lol.

Btw, it’s not that tough pulling tile up from ditra mat, lol, 3 hours to do a 10x10 room.
View attachment 5704

Ya it’s easy to take x amount in as a trade but there are a lot of expenses that chop it down pretty quickly and on top of that the jobs you get fucked out of your pay on

As far as your tile
First off why the Ditra on a floor?

Years ago I used to tile over breakup with my friend.
We would charge 4-4.5 per sq ft to lay tile
Personally back then I wouldn’t have take a job where we have to tear it out. Too time consuming when you could be just laying on a new build making 7-800 a day.

Would guesstimate you wouldn’t get anyone to do that tear out an lay new tile for under ten bucks a foot

Ya it’s easy to take x amount in as a trade but there are a lot of expenses that chop it down pretty quickly and on top of that the jobs you get fucked out of your pay on

As far as your tile
First off why the Ditra on a floor?

Years ago I used to tile over breakup with my friend.
We would charge 4-4.5 per sq ft to lay tile
Personally back then I wouldn’t have take a job where we have to tear it out. Too time consuming when you could be just laying on a new build making 7-800 a day.

Would guesstimate you wouldn’t get anyone to do that tear out an lay new tile for under ten bucks a foot
Why ditra mat?

I was going to lay natural tile first, so I had laid the hardwood in the front room first, but then decided there was no natural slate I liked so to match floor heights I need that 1/8” ditra mat, lol.

The new tiles I’m using are porcelain and thicker, so with the combined 1/16” of mortar on the floor from laying the backing of the ditra, my floor heights will be perfect.

Personally I hate ditra mat, I have never had an issue laying on plywood with full flex mortar, and neither had my parents for decades.

I want same height floors, uneven floors looks lazy to me. I could have easily laid over the existing but then it wouldnt match and would have pissed me off forever.

Oh and no one would tear out the floor, no matter the quote, 4 different places just refused, 3 tried to talk me into laying on top. I was going to get them to do the complete job, I was feeling lazy.

I’ll have the floor tore out by tomorrow, then I’ll fix my gyprock, be done that by the weekend and am on holidays next week, so I’ll finish the floor then.

It fucking sucks, but when I’m done it will be perfectly flat. Hey even learned a new trick off of Holmes on Holmes (man that guys such a douche), anyhow his tile setter was using a diamond sponge to sand the ends they cut to make them look smooth like the normal finished edges. So I ordered some off amazon, lol.

Oh and the mortar is pulling out of the ditra, guess I had good adhesion to the tile. And no I didn’t back butter.
0D384B50-CB96-4F6E-81A1-EF67988B4B04.jpeg

Last edited:

View attachment 5704

I agree with the associated costs, but as it's a small plumbing business he runs, all his costs (tools, vehicle, a home office, gas, etc. can be claimed. Then you can write down some of those annually. Guys who run their own businesses, and have been in it long enough to have covered all those costs are laughing. At this point nearly every cent is income. Being able to claim fuel, maintenance, tool purchases, home office costs lowers his tax bill substantially.

That's the one thing I appreciate about small towns. If you're a shitty contractor, everyone knows it, but that also means the guys who do quality work can charge a premium. My folks had one guy build a deck for them 20 years ago, the thing didn't last more than 7 years. It was solid construction, but boards too close meant rotting, and it wasn't quality work. The next guy that did it was more expensive, but he knew his shit. I took pictures every phase of the build. Not sure if I still have them, but I recall enough that I could figure it out. This guy was booked a year in advance for all sorts of projects. It's like anything, if you are really good at what you do you are in demand.

I agree with the associated costs, but as it's a small plumbing business he runs, all his costs (tools, vehicle, a home office, gas, etc. can be claimed. Then you can write down some of those annually. Guys who run their own businesses, and have been in it long enough to have covered all those costs are laughing. At this point nearly every cent is income. Being able to claim fuel, maintenance, tool purchases, home office costs lowers his tax bill substantially.

That's the one thing I appreciate about small towns. If you're a shitty contractor, everyone knows it, but that also means the guys who do quality work can charge a premium. My folks had one guy build a deck for them 20 years ago, the thing didn't last more than 7 years. It was solid construction, but boards too close meant rotting, and it wasn't quality work. The next guy that did it was more expensive, but he knew his shit. I took pictures every phase of the build. Not sure if I still have them, but I recall enough that I could figure it out. This guy was booked a year in advance for all sorts of projects. It's like anything, if you are really good at what you do you are in demand.

Writing things aren’t that big of a savings for small business
It helps but it’s not like you are getting rich from these savings. Tack on a book keeper and an accountant it’s not hard to be 7 grand for the year

Some people actually believe that writing something off means you get your money back from the government. I was a consultant for several years and it was funny when you go out with people and they literally think you should buy supper
“Because you can just write it off”
That used to drive me nuts.

Things like dinners make a very small difference to your tax bill. As for a vehicle you almost need a newer vehicle or lease to get the most of the tax benefit. Fuel is nice

one trick I used to do is go buy $500 of grocery store gift cards in $50 denominations.
I’d claim those as promotional stuff for customers but I would just buy my groceries with them.

Generally I find people that run a small business like to act like it’s a bigger deal than it is.
On top of that the fucking CRA loves to audit small business cuz well they are tax cheats according to trudeau.