Wexit

I have a couple buddies who work in the oil patch. Yeah, they can put in long days, but it's not 7 days/wk, 30 days a month. It's 2-3 weeks on, and 1-2 weeks off. Two are roughnecks, one is a welder, and another works in industrial heating and pipe-fitting. And, I've never heard of daily 1 hour safety meetings, but perhaps that's how it is where you work, which I don't buy for one second. So, let's say you work your 12 hour days for 3 weeks straight, then off for one. If you had done the math before making the comment you'd know that averaged to 8.4hrs/day. Congrats, you work 24mins more/day on average. But, you make excellent money for that sacrifice, which I commend you, I honestly do. I was in Alberta in 1998, I had my tickets, 4 years of firefighting background, and was determined to make as much money in 10 years then move back to Ontario. It turned out to be the latest thaw and wettest spring in years and crews weren't being called in. I stuck it out until August, but there was nothing. It's too bad, I was young, able, and willing to work my ass of, then would have come back here and returned to a cushy firefighting job.

If someone wants to live to work, that's their prerogative. I live a balanced life, and I don't care if I make 80k/yr, let along 200. I can easily live off 40, but I want to accrue more savings, however, I am not waiting until I'm 65 to go fishing and camping. Life is hard enough without working yourself stupid. If your reasoning is that you want to enjoy retirement, great, but both my grandfathers were dead before 80, so again, I'm not wasting my time working in my free time. I do study to further myself, but I don't wake up thinking about money. I grew up lower income, I know what it is to be in need, and I've also had set backs. I still consider myself better off than many, and I am appreciative for it.

Your argument is flawed top to bottom, mainly b/c you attribute taxation to feeding someone else. Are you honestly that clueless? Very little of your taxes go towards tax benefits/welfare. The majority goes towards services, such as infrastructure, health care, schools, etc. A communist? Sure, like you even know what that really means. As for not liking my posts, I could care less about your opinion. I only commented b/c I can't stand whiny, factually incorrect posts.

Actually i have known quite a few guys that work 21/4. 12 hr days for 21 days straight. 4 days rest and back at it again!
Not for me though.

Reactions: 3ml
It's time to rip up the contract because it fucking sucks
I see huge numbers of people living off the good graces of whitey
Who are the slaves again?
The sad part is its not the immigrants coming here that live off the government. It’s the white Canadians. I know I’d bet 30 people on welfare, all are multiple generation white Canadians. The immigrants want to work. They are constantly applying at my shop.
So incase you were suggesting it was the Syrians or whatever, if they do abuse the system they are the minority.
St least that’s what I’ve seen first hand.

Not attacking you, just wanted to put out my experiences.

The sad part is its not the immigrants coming here that live off the government. It’s the white Canadians. I know I’d bet 30 people on welfare, all are multiple generation white Canadians. The immigrants want to work. They are constantly applying at my shop.
So incase you were suggesting it was the Syrians or whatever, if they do abuse the system they are the minority.

Syrians work.Some others not so much.Plentyof white dopers don't.

Overall in Calgary we simply have masses of people on assistance of one form or another.Plrnty of deadbeat dads.

I even heard that meth heads get more than people simply on AISH.Plenty of lazy People on AiSH.

Best way to get a free ride is impregnate a woman.
Mandatory DNA reg might be necessary,of course we move one step closer to being lab rats with that.

Bwahaaa your business profits knowledge is a bit limited. I'm sorry, I'm not insulting you, I just find it very comical when people who have never owned a business know what the margins are. I know we are all rich, lol.

-25% off the top is the governments on any profit you make.
-Then there is his yearly license fee.
-Being written off, doesn't mean the government gives him the money back, only saves the tax on that item so 25% tax saved. You still pay the full amount minus the gst, depending on if your gst collection is higher than your payout then you get no gst return.
-Vehicle insurance
-vehicle maintenance
-consumables used on the job site
-gas

And I could go on and on.

My is very profitable and I have long paid for my equipment and not every cent is income. Fuck I wish, I'd be a millionaire, multiple times over by now.

A good business makes anywhere 12-30% net profit. You are really doing good if you are closer to the 30%. Vast majority make 15%. Majority of small business owner do not make 6 figures. Most are around $65,000. Plus a car and other little bonuses. SO maybe 90,000 take home at the end. Its not until you start doing multiple million dollar sales that you start to make some decent profit.

So if your buddy does 500,000 a year in sales, if he is the only employee then 75,000 would be his take home pay, give or take. Now this is all dependant on how cutthroat he was to get jobs and so on. Some jobs you do well, some you make very little and some you get stiffed on.
Now I'm just guessing, but I know like 20 business owners and am part of a group where we get together drink beer and talk about business and my numbers are pretty much on the money from when I talk to others about how their profits are.

I didn't realize you wanted to itemize every aspect of business costs, lol. I'm well aware of what you mentioned, esp how taxation credits, writedowns, depreciation, (etc) work. The difference with the guy who runs his own plumbing business is that he has no storefront operation, he's selling his labour, not a product, and the figures I quoted were gross. Sales is a completely different game.

The only people I know who make well into 6 figures are guys in real-estate, development, and an investment broker, who also happens to own about 30 properties. But, I totally agree, the majority of small business owners are not rich, not by a long shot.

You think trudope resigns too?

I think he is trying to push us to the point of an election.
Then we will need universal mail in voting without ID because covid then they can cheat like hell (see USA liberals) and walk away with a majority government.
The left are all following the same script.
I think if we look at Australia and New Zealand we have bigger things coming.
This is a great distraction though.

Reactions: 3ml
I didn't realize you wanted to itemize every aspect of business costs, lol. I'm well aware of what you mentioned, esp how taxation credits, writedowns, depreciation, (etc) work. The difference with the guy who runs his own plumbing business is that he has no storefront operation, he's selling his labour, not a product, and the figures I quoted were gross. Sales is a completely different game.

The only people I know who make well into 6 figures are guys in real-estate, development, and an investment broker, who also happens to own about 30 properties. But, I totally agree, the majority of small business owners are not rich, not by a long shot.
The guys you quoted making six figures, I can guarantee work way more than 40 hours like you argued at the start. Very few work 40 hour weeks and make 200,000 a year. I’d actually bet none, well except Trudeau, lol.
Real-estate never work normal hours if you want to make money. You need to hustle in that game, bet it’s the same as an investment broker.
And store front and individual the profits are the same in the end. Your buddy doesn’t serve 100,000 people a year. Storefront is more volume in comparison.

Your plumber buddy is still selling a product. So you were still incorrect when saying pretty much all was profit.

Example, hot water tank element is broken.

Element $20
Labour $80.

So he may have made 20% extra on element so $4
And his labour is not all profit because out of that a proportion needs to pay;
Insurance
Gas
Wsib if he has employees
Employee wage
Consumables like gas, solder, paste, sandpaper, Teflon tape and so on
Equipment that wears out, hole saws, batteries for drills and such.
Shit even the work clothes he wears, work boots are not cheap, lol.
Dude I could go on and on.

So I’d bet out of the $80, $30 is profit

So in the end buddy is making 20% profit when all said and done.

A lot of times, the one man crew guys, undercut the big guys to compete because they don’t have the advertising budget, or want to make sure they have no down time.

Please let this argument go. 25 year business owner with multiple owner friends. I forgot more about business today, then most people know, lol.

It’s your lack of knowledge on profits that is how the government pitted the average person against us thru false advertising and then was given permission by average Joe to increase our taxes. It’s unfortunate that most do not understand that we are just workers as well, we just happen to have a passion, and are crazy enough to take on the stress.

You want to win, argue with me about something historic.

Last edited:
The guys you quoted making six figures, I can guarantee work way more than 40 hours like you argued at the start. Very few work 40 hour weeks and make 200,000 a year. I’d actually bet none, well except Trudeau, lol.
Real-estate never work normal hours if you want to make money. You need to hustle in that game, bet it’s the same as an investment broker.
And store front and individual the profits are the same in the end. Your buddy doesn’t serve 100,000 people a year. Storefront is more volume in comparison.

Your plumber buddy is still selling a product. So you were still incorrect when saying pretty much all was profit.

Element $60
Labour $80.

Insurance
Gas
Wsib if he has employees
Employee wage

A lot of times, the one man crew guys, undercut the big guys to compete because they don’t have the advertising budget, or want to make sure they have no down time.

Please let this argument go. 25 year business owner with multiple owner friends. I forgot more about business today, then most people know, lol.

It’s your lack of knowledge on profits that is how the government pitted the average person against us thru false advertising and then was given permission by average Joe to increases our taxes. It’s unfortunate that most do not understand that we are just workers as well, we just happen to have a passion, and are crazy enough to take in the stress.

yessssssss!!!!
Sorbate for the win!
🏆

Liberalism has gone too far.
People should be forced to work for a cheque.
Then as I thought might happen, Alberta of old is slowly disappearing. It got watered down by all the newcomers. Change us change, the only thing that is constant. Hopefully in the end it all turns out well.

Element $60
Labour $80.

Insurance
Gas
Wsib if he has employees
Employee wage

It’s your lack of knowledge on profits that is how the government pitted the average person against us thru false advertising and then was given permission by average Joe to increase our taxes. It’s unfortunate that most do not understand that we are just workers as well, we just happen to have a passion, and are crazy enough to take on the stress.

I hear what you're saying about costs, and yes, his hourly rate is not pure income, fair enough. I know the guy has done well. As for the real estate guy, he runs his own firm, and is my father's age. I know for certain that lad is not working 40hr. The broker is a bit younger, but his rental properties alone make him six figures. That's a special case, that guy makes around 400k/yr, owns millions is real-estate, and is also the manager of the investment brokerage. I had a conversation with him years ago, and he told me, in his line of business you work your ass off for 10 years (to establish a client base), and the rest is gravy. He was trying to encourage me to get into the business. But, selling people on mutual funds is like being a used car salesman. People can invest their own money into index funds and do better than having it 'managed' by these crooks. Sure they make their clients money, but basic dividend reinvestment investing will outpace the funds they shell out to the sheeple, lol.

I've known other small business people who went under, b/c of factors beyond their control. As for government advertising, I don't know what you are referring to. I never once inferred that small business people are rich or have it easy, I simply stated that I know some guys who have done very well. I'm content to move on, lol.

I hear what you're saying about costs, and yes, his hourly rate is not pure income, fair enough. I know the guy has done well. As for the real estate guy, he runs his own firm, and is my father's age. I know for certain that lad is not working 40hr. The broker is a bit younger, but his rental properties alone make him six figures. That's a special case, that guy makes around 400k/yr, owns millions is real-estate, and is also the manager of the investment brokerage. I had a conversation with him years ago, and he told me, in his line of business you work your ass off for 10 years (to establish a client base), and the rest is gravy. He was trying to encourage me to get into the business. But, selling people on mutual funds is like being a used car salesman. People can invest their own money into index funds and do better than having it 'managed' by these crooks. Sure they make their clients money, but basic dividend reinvestment investing will outpace the funds they shell out to the sheeple, lol.

I've known other small business people who went under, b/c of factors beyond their control. As for government advertising, I don't know what you are referring to. I never once inferred that small business people are rich or have it easy, I simply stated that I know some guys who have done very well. I'm content to move on, lol.
You were saying that you can live on 40 k a year.
Maybe some jealousy?
50 weeks x800 equals 40 k
Then taxes.
Is this what we should expect in a future Trudeau gov once all the rotters get their guaranteed wage?
You are a troubled lad.

I never got this whole “taxes are a social contract to be a contributing member of society” thing

since when the fuck did I agree to that? And why is it that people honestly think that paying their taxes and “contributing to society” is what your value is based off of? I don’t owe society a fuckin penny, nor do I give a fuck about it or think that somehow I have more value for doing that. I don’t owe society shit and anyone who thinks that their value is based off what they “contribute to society” (ie, the government) is a brainwashed fuckwad.

Well taxes if they were managed properly are an essential part of society. They help pay for that free health care we get. To maintain the roads you use everyday, towards our kids education and a whole bunch of other stuff that you more then likely take for granted. Now do we pay too much tax. I think so, are our tax dollars being mismanaged absolutely. For you to say you dont give a fuck about society is a little extreme but eh those are your feelings.

Element $20
Labour $80.

Insurance
Gas
Wsib if he has employees
Employee wage

Well I'm not a business owner but make 6 figures lol so do the vast majority of my undergroud miner coworkers