Want to build huge Traps

I’m going to give the squeeze a try.
I’m short and since I’m short not wide so I pretty much avoided trap exercises, but now that my shoulders are getting rounder, I bet this little tid bit here will give me just enough trap.

Thanks @pgmunn

Reactions: PGM
Serge Nubret used light weight to work his back on a special table with cable,many angles,many sets.
Holy shit I have not heard that name in ages 'Serge Nubert' … he was in the first bodybuilding show I watched back in the late 70's or early eightys on wide world of sport. If was Arnold, Sergio and Serge for top 3 the first time I saw bodybuilding on TV. That is what got me interested in lifting, and the fact I was getting the shit kicked out of me at school lol. Sergio was my favorite beast like Marcus Rule or Ronnie but Serge had an awesome ripped semetrical physique … I liked his look

Holy shit I have not heard that name in ages 'Serge Nubert' … he was in the first bodybuilding show I watched back in the late 70's or early eightys on wide world of sport. If was Arnold, Sergio and Serge for top 3 the first time I saw bodybuilding on TV. That is what got me interested in lifting, and the fact I was getting the shit kicked out of me at school lol. Sergio was my favorite beast like Marcus Rule or Ronnie but Serge had an awesome ripped semetrical physique … I liked his look
Not sure if that was the time he suffered from the disappearing act,where he didn't feel his back measured up.That is when he decided to change his approach,to one where he had complete control and feeling in every part of the movements.All higher reps,up to 30 iirc.

Is that just a behind the back shrug? Or is there more to it? Whats the actual name of that shrug would like to see video on how to preform properly.

This is close to what they will look like. He is using almost no weight so when you do use considerable weight you will need to lean back a touch and push the hips slightly forward. Again it takes time to get the balance down but it will happen. My behind the back shrugs are about 50lbs less than in front so it is possible to get up to 365lbs dong them behind the back....

Is that just a behind the back shrug? Or is there more to it? Whats the actual name of that shrug would like to see video on how to preform properly.
there is really no name that I know of for the shrug, probably others have used it and have named it, I just call it the pre squeeze cause I do it on lateral raises … seated and t-bar rows. I think I started doing it when I was going heavy on the laterals it helped me get the weight started. So if you are doing bent armed lateral raises with your arms slightly out in front of u and bent, haul your shoulders up and and back at say a 30% angle from your lower spine to your upper spine on your posterior side as the vector. I will get my wife to take a short video and post. I am not sure there is any proper way but you will feel almost a cramping of your traps at the top of the lateral raise when u do to get the feel I get when I do it. If that makes sense ...lol

Not sure if that was the time he suffered from the disappearing act,where he didn't feel his back measured up.That is when he decided to change his approach,to one where he had complete control and feeling in every part of the movements.All higher reps,up to 30 iirc.
I think that was the time, he was disappointed with third place as he was more ripped than Sergio and Arnold put together, the judges were more into mass with a bit of detail then, cause I thought Sergio should have won cause he was so huge compared to Arnold. Yep Serge did do a disappearing act and I don't think when he reappeared he did that much better but I really liked his look, I thought his back looked great at that competition, he had full belly low pecs and a real deep and defined abs. Frank Zane had his not so large but symmetrical and ripped look. Zane did win the Olympia once.

This is close to what they will look like. He is using almost no weight so when you do use considerable weight you will need to lean back a touch and push the hips slightly forward. Again it takes time to get the balance down but it will happen. My behind the back shrugs are about 50lbs less than in front so it is possible to get up to 365lbs dong them behind the back....

yep that is basically how I do it but never really looked it up, the preshrug can be done with a lot of exercises including the behind the back barbell shrug. I did them automatically with bent armed lateral raise and seat rows I did not know I was doing them until my training partner mentioned them to me. So has anyone heard of a BENCH SHRUG … this one I found hard to do but it hit the deep shoulder stabilizers. Look up Kelso's bench shrug or just Paul Kelso.

I saw this pic in the early 90's and it took a bit to get the balance down but once i did it worked wonders. It's my mainstay now. Warm up in front then behind the back pyramiding back down 5 sets slowly then it's behind the back to failure, spin around, re-wrap and fronts to failure. Traps are my second best muscle group behind back....

View attachment 5327
the best part is you can really overload the traps and go heavy

I do these often but on a smith machine with a 25 on each side. I like the smith because i can lean forward and stretch my traps with my bodyweight on the eccentric part of the movement. A couple sets of 20 and get a good pump. Sometimes superset with a row where i am perpendicular to the floor, super light weight or empty smith machine, hands as for outside the bar as possible and pull up to my chin. Awesome for traps and rear delts.

Lol that's impressive! I gave it a go today and it didn't take very much weight at all to feel traps engaged, does feel very awkward though, I've done behind back shrugs in the past never been consistent with it though will give it an honest effort this time around.

I do these often but on a smith machine with a 25 on each side. I like the smith because i can lean forward and stretch my traps with my bodyweight on the eccentric part of the movement. A couple sets of 20 and get a good pump. Sometimes superset with a row where i am perpendicular to the floor, super light weight or empty smith machine, hands as for outside the bar as possible and pull up to my chin. Awesome for traps and rear delts.
what ever exercise works for you. The main principle is to do the presqueeze before you do the actual full exercise movement. I am going to give this exercise a try … see how it feels.

there is really no name that I know of for the shrug, probably others have used it and have named it, I just call it the pre squeeze cause I do it on lateral raises … seated and t-bar rows. I think I started doing it when I was going heavy on the laterals it helped me get the weight started. So if you are doing bent armed lateral raises with your arms slightly out in front of u and bent, haul your shoulders up and and back at say a 30% angle from your lower spine to your upper spine on your posterior side as the vector. I will get my wife to take a short video and post. I am not sure there is any proper way but you will feel almost a cramping of your traps at the top of the lateral raise when u do to get the feel I get when I do it. If that makes sense ...lol
[GALLERY=media, 22][/GALLERY]
Here is a video of how I do the squeeze. I hope I captured the video correctly through add media. And yes I have added a little weight since the competition. This is my walk around weight ...lol

Like the Smith as well for the lean you can achieve.

So I did the squeeze today with 125lb DB seated shrugs, and holy shit it hurt. Got up to 16 reps before I couldn't take it anymore. My 4yo son was in the garage with me as if I work out during the day when he's up sometimes he comes to hang out and I teach him what I'm doing.

Last set was so bad I put the DBs down and I was clearly in pain, and he says:

"Dad, did you hurt your vagina?"

So I did the squeeze today with 125lb DB seated shrugs, and holy shit it hurt. Got up to 16 reps before I couldn't take it anymore. My 4yo son was in the garage with me as if I work out during the day when he's up sometimes he comes to hang out and I teach him what I'm doing.

Well if you got 16 with 125s squeezing like that you have some pretty dense traps.
iirc,Dorian replaced 650 shrugs with 150s for feel and squeeze and said the results were the same,

Well if you got 16 with 125s squeezing like that you have some pretty dense traps.

That they are. I don't get big, I get dense. For my weight you'd think I'd be much bigger. Thats genetics for ya.

I am suffering for it now though. I'm a bit afraid of tomorrow.

Reactions: Cog

So did you... Lol

So did you... Lol

LOL! I died laughing for a couple minutes, then got my shit together and finished my workout. My traps are still hurting so I just took a robaxacet with a shot of vodka and it's time to hit the sack. Leg day tomorrow, hopefully I'll be able to get the bar on my shoulders.