Want to build huge Traps

PGM

Trusted Member
I have always had large traps... they are probably my best body part. When I had a number of years into lifting, I was told I was doing something different than other lifters when I was performing lateral raises and rowing exercises. I was pulling my shoulder up and back with my traps with a pre-squeeze before I actually raised my arms or started the rowing by bending my elbow and pulling the weight to my chest/ belly. This pre-squeeze puts a lot of tension on the traps and when you complete the lateral or the row they tense up to the max. I never noticed that I was doing it at first I think my training partner mentioned it … ( Bid Daddy Drew … he was on Northern Muscle way back when) he tried to do the pre-squeeze, he had to reduce his weight a lot and he almost cramped his traps ..lol. I really feel this technique has enlarged my traps over time. I have tried not to do the pres-queeze … it is very difficult as I am use to doing them, have done it for so long. Give it a try if you have not found this little gem. :) This is a back pose my first bodybuilding competition in 2012

Attachments

• Maritime Bodybuilding 2012 - compressed back pose.jpg
    Maritime Bodybuilding 2012 - compressed back pose.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 31
Where is BDD now sir?

It’s been a while since I heard from him. Last we spoke I think he had just come out the other side of some stuff.

Hope he is doing well.

Reactions: PGM
I like higher rep range 15-20 with moderate weight and really focus on the squeeze and feeling the muscle work.
Another good trap exercise is to grab a 45lb plate in each hand and shrug up and squeeze traps for a 5 sec count then slowly lower. Do this for 15 reps and the traps will be on fire.

I've never really done much direct trap work, and they just grow, but I do a lot of deadlifting, log clean and press and farmers, among other strongman type stuff, but I too have naturally large traps

I always prefer light weight for traps. I can get them pumped and burning like hell With 10lb dumbbells. I also do quite a variety of different angles when training them.
They get their heavy work deadlifting.
Serge Nubret used light weight to work his back on a special table with cable,many angles,many sets.

Where is BDD now sir?

It’s been a while since I heard from him. Last we spoke I think he had just come out the other side of some stuff.

Hope he is doing well.

Yep Drew is doing fine. We have been friends for years and we get together and train now and then. He is a tenant of mine in Saint John and does stuff for me around the place over and above his regular job. He still trains hard. He was training for the Galdiators in Moncton when all this Covid stuff hit and it was cancelled. He was in pretty good shape for the competition, so he took a break. I drop in and we have coffee from time to time.

I always prefer light weight for traps. I can get them pumped and burning like hell With 10lb dumbbells. I also do quite a variety of different angles when training them.
They get their heavy work deadlifting.
Oh I agree on the deadlifting as well. Those are a weekly staple for me, I would not have the development I have without deads.

I've never really done much direct trap work, and they just grow, but I do a lot of deadlifting, log clean and press and farmers, among other strongman type stuff, but I too have naturally large traps
all the deads cleaning, farmer walks will build large traps. The presqueeze thing was just something that added into the mix. Farmers were always fun, walking around the gym with 120,s in your hands till you had to let the weights go, 5 sets of those and I was always wasted. Most ppl would look at you like you were insane. Left a deep soreness almost everywhere.

Yep Drew is doing fine. We have been friends for years and we get together and train now and then. He is a tenant of mine in Saint John and does stuff for me around the place over and above his regular job. He still trains hard. He was training for the Galdiators in Moncton when all this Covid stuff hit and it was cancelled. He was in pretty good shape for the competition, so he took a break. I drop in and we have coffee from time to time.

Tell him I said he can go fuck himself!!! Lol!!!!🤣

And tell him we all miss him and it would be great to see him around again sometime!

Most people when they train traps do barbell shrugs which moves them up and down. This does work the traps but isn't the most efficient way to do it. The primary function of the trap muscle is to retract the shoulders, so when you're pulling your shoulders back for that "pre-squeeze" you were loading tension into the trap muscle.

And tell BDD to get his ass back here :p

I have always had large traps... they are probably my best body part. When I had a number of years into lifting, I was told I was doing something different than other lifters when I was performing lateral raises and rowing exercises. I was pulling my shoulder up and back with my traps with a pre-squeeze before I actually raised my arms or started the rowing by bending my elbow and pulling the weight to my chest/ belly. This pre-squeeze puts a lot of tension on the traps and when you complete the lateral or the row they tense up to the max. I never noticed that I was doing it at first I think my training partner mentioned it … ( Bid Daddy Drew … he was on Northern Muscle way back when) he tried to do the pre-squeeze, he had to reduce his weight a lot and he almost cramped his traps ..lol. I really feel this technique has enlarged my traps over time. I have tried not to do the pres-queeze … it is very difficult as I am use to doing them, have done it for so long. Give it a try if you have not found this little gem. :) This is a back pose my first bodybuilding competition in 2012

You have a great back!

Most people when they train traps do barbell shrugs which moves them up and down. This does work the traps but isn't the most efficient way to do it. The primary function of the trap muscle is to retract the shoulders, so when you're pulling your shoulders back for that "pre-squeeze" you were loading tension into the trap muscle.

And tell BDD to get his ass back here :p
Hahaha … I will tell him .

all about the squeeze and the burn. I felt from doing things like deads, bentover rows always helped complement my traps not just shrugs.

I saw this pic in the early 90's and it took a bit to get the balance down but once i did it worked wonders. It's my mainstay now. Warm up in front then behind the back pyramiding back down 5 sets slowly then it's behind the back to failure, spin around, re-wrap and fronts to failure. Traps are my second best muscle group behind back....

2.jpg

I saw this pic in the early 90's and it took a bit to get the balance down but once i did it worked wonders. It's my mainstay now. Warm up in front then behind the back pyramiding back down 5 sets slowly then it's behind the back to failure, spin around, re-wrap and fronts to failure. Traps are my second best muscle group behind back....

View attachment 5327
Lee Haney’s signature trap movement