Training Splits

Its ok...i am not blowing it out of the park right now...work is way too busy, lower back angry and i got too many projects at the lake. Part of being ALMOST 50 is that we have many dimensions to our life and our physics are just part of it. The goal is to be the best 50 year old we can....Not the best compared to the 25 year olds us when we had few responsibilities.

PS you could clean up your split a little LOL

to not totally derail.....my split is sports specific, single body parts or even PPL leads to injuries when training jiu jitsu.

Week1
Upper
lower
jiu jitus (training not teaching)
rest
upper
jiu jitsu
rest

Week2
Lower
upper
Jiu jitsu
rest
Lower
jiu jitsu
rest

I hate talking about splits because it is only a portion of the conversation. I believe total training volume per session and week is a key component plus the number of sets to failure and beyond failure should be planned. Programming a routine is more than the split. @gondar1 comments?
Yeah, being younger with no responsibility was way easier to achieve bodybuilding goals.

@Sorbate you mentioned in your post above you were training for a competition... BB powerlifting?
No just a friendly competition with Oldjuju.
Actually I need to knuckle down and take this serious and kick his ass, but work is insane, up 30% from last year and we doubled because of covid.
I’m not getting home on time, I’m working late most days and I’m tired.
I really don’t want to resort to taking ephedrine for energy again at my age, lol.

I should have done powerlifting when I was younger and natural.
At 140 lbs I could lift a whole front end of a moose off a low trailer by myself that weighed over 300 lbs. it was huge and awkward, but I walked it up 2 steps thru a door and about 20 feet total walk. Then had to lift it up s bit to hang.
Hunters who had come to me before, when they dropped off, and had a new guy with them, I would hear them make a comment something like this, “you don’t have to help, just watch, he will do it himself, I wasn’t lying”.

Mind you at that time I was deadlifting damn near 400 lbs for reps. Yes at 140 lbs, but I was really lean.

I wouldn’t do that now. I’d likely wreck something, but we are invincible until 40, lol.

Bis & Tris
Legs
off
Chest
Back (+ RDLs)
Shoulders
off

(Calves and Abs alternated EOD)

Basically just a 'bro-split' but using lots of DC principles, around 7-8 working sets total to (or past) failure per bodypart per week. I'm used to doing PPL or U/L, but my coach who's well known as a DC guy put me on this split and my physique improved dramatically over the last 7 months compared to any PPL or Upper/Lower variation I've used so it's worked for me

Chest shoulders triceps
Back Biceps
Legs

DC Training style, rest pauses to the letter of doggcrapp training. DC was my coach for many years and i was a sponsored athlete for 9 yrs with Dante.
Focusing on strength gains at the moment, then higher volume to cut up with less calories to reap the rewards for the summer...:cool:

Will switch up to more of a higher volume style soon. If thread is still alive will post more then...In a few weeks.

Chest shoulders triceps
Back Biceps
Legs

DC Training style, rest pauses to the letter of doggcrapp training. DC was my coach for many years and i was a sponsored athlete for 9 yrs with Dante.
Focusing on strength gains at the moment, then higher volume to cut up with less calories to reap the rewards for the summer...:cool:

Will switch up to more of a higher volume style soon. If thread is still alive will post more then...In a few weeks.
Love the DC style too, after many years of being a volume whore, I don't see myself going back anytime soon. Some of the best gains I've made. Just wondering, after those three days, are you resting a day and repeating or is that 3 sessions for the week?

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

No just a friendly competition with Oldjuju.
Actually I need to knuckle down and take this serious and kick his ass, but work is insane, up 30% from last year and we doubled because of covid.
I’m not getting home on time, I’m working late most days and I’m tired.
I really don’t want to resort to taking ephedrine for energy again at my age, lol.

I should have done powerlifting when I was younger and natural.
At 140 lbs I could lift a whole front end of a moose off a low trailer by myself that weighed over 300 lbs. it was huge and awkward, but I walked it up 2 steps thru a door and about 20 feet total walk. Then had to lift it up s bit to hang.
Hunters who had come to me before, when they dropped off, and had a new guy with them, I would hear them make a comment something like this, “you don’t have to help, just watch, he will do it himself, I wasn’t lying”.

Mind you at that time I was deadlifting damn near 400 lbs for reps. Yes at 140 lbs, but I was really lean.

I wouldn’t do that now. I’d likely wreck something, but we are invincible until 40, lol.
You would have done good at powerlifting, that was what I started in and stay doing most of the time as I like the workout's they do ... and taking a max or near max every 6 weeks is fun.

It's tough when life gets in the way of enjoying yourself

I thought I was invincible until 57 ... then shit started changing quite a bit.

Chest shoulders triceps
Back Biceps
Legs

I've never heard of DC training before, going to look into it when I have time.

Week1
Upper
lower
jiu jitus (training not teaching)
rest
upper
jiu jitsu
rest

Week2
Lower
upper
Jiu jitsu
rest
Lower
jiu jitsu
rest

I hate talking about splits because it is only a portion of the conversation. I believe total training volume per session and week is a key component plus the number of sets to failure and beyond failure should be planned. Programming a routine is more than the split. @gondar1 comments?

OMG the amount of typing that would be involved to dig deep into this. Suffice to say I've never written this all down for people I train, instead we'll have a nice long verbal conversation about it all and then build a routine based on our their new understanding and their goals.

When building a split for a pure bodybuilder or powerlifter figuring in frequency and volume is relatively simple as well as easily modified over time to dial it in to the most effective system for that individual. DC mentioned here, 5/3/1 and some other well know programs are great and have taken these factors into consideration.

About 50% of my trainees over the years have been multisport athletes or have had very labour intensive jobs, those cases take much more work and adaptation on the fly.

I like what you have posted here and I know you have a handle on the volume, suits your case very well.

Mike Israetel has dug deep on the subject and put out some great content, that would be the first stop I'd suggest for anyone looking to maximize the efficiency of their routine. I believe there is a great deal to be gained by getting it right, I've had cases where the fella was plateaud for years (their words) and derived noob like gains by adjust only the frequency and volume and staying with basically the same split.

Im always rocking the PPL.
The 2nd workout of the week I will go to 8 reps, then rest/pause up to 50 total reps. And I do it all fasted. It takes a bit getting used to, but I cant workout with food in my gut anymore.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

I've never heard of DC training before, going to look into it when I have time.
Hey brother...Definitely look into it...There is an old gold article....
Cycles for pennies.
That was Doggcrapps (Dante Trudel) original DC training method. He switched it up a few years later to the style i mentioned above. Cycles for pennies gets into the constant addition of weight each workout when you hit that exercise again. Or an additional rep. Then throw it away for awhile when progress ceases.
Talks about eating, rest/pause methods and a wealth of good info.
If ever you need assistance or anything, shoot me a pm.

Love the DC style too, after many years of being a volume whore, I don't see myself going back anytime soon. Some of the best gains I've made. Just wondering, after those three days, are you resting a day and repeating or is that 3 sessions for the week?

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk
Hey man...I go 3 days, then day off, then repeat.
If i am getting taxed i will go 1 day on and one day off, or 2 on 1 day off...
I used to do only the full work through once a week, but i can take a bit more than that without feeling overtaxed.

Push
Pull
Legs
Repeat until rest required,usually 7-14 days on 1-2 off. Depends on sleep, nutrition, gear, overall progress. If anything slows, then we take a nice couple days off. If a lift gets missed again (no increase in reps or weight for two rotations, that exercise is cycled out).

my pull day is just back and biceps. All deadlift movements (currently just SLDL and RDL) are my hamstring compounds on leg days. Just pulled a 765 RDL for a single the other day for fun. It was fun.

Push
Pull
Legs
Repeat until rest required,usually 7-14 days on 1-2 off. Depends on sleep, nutrition, gear, overall progress. If anything slows, then we take a nice couple days off. If a lift gets missed again (no increase in reps or weight for two rotations, that exercise is cycled out).

my pull day is just back and biceps. All deadlift movements (currently just SLDL and RDL) are my hamstring compounds on leg days. Just pulled a 765 RDL for a single the other day for fun. It was fun.
Great RDL brother..

Quads & Bi's
Chest & Tri's
Back & Bi's
Shoulders Abs & Calfs
Hammies & Tri's
Range of Motion Yoga & Abs
Range of Motion Yoga & major roll out

I call it: "Chicken leg prevention program"

Never understood training fasted but each to their own I guess!
I got caught up in the hype years ago, and I just got used to it. Same with IF. Maybe it's bro science or wishful thinking but I've always found my bulks to be leaner when training fasted.

I got caught up in the hype years ago, and I just got used to it. Same with IF. Maybe it's bro science or wishful thinking but I've always found my bulks to be leaner when training fasted.

I like training semi fasted. Usually train in the AM. No breakfast. Just aminos intraworkout.

Since coming back to the gym after a 5 month layoff I've been experimenting with finding my ideal split.

My current gym here in bc only allows 75 min sessions which isn't quite enough for me to finish some workouts. I can book two sessions in a row but then id have to wait 15 min in between while they sanitize the gym and likely lose my pump right near the end of my workout.

I started with Dorian yates split

Chest+bis
Legs
Off
Delts+tris
Back+rear delts
Off

I didnt mind this actually. Altho I find with my leg injuries I need to either do legs every 2nd week or pussyfoot thru the workout (which is lame)

Then I switched to the split I'm on now

Pull (back+rear delts+bus)
Push (chest+delts+tris)
Legs(every 2nd week)
Off
Delts
Arms
Off

This has been working well. I find I need the added delt+arm days bc on my push day I don't get enough time to do delts and tris to their fullest. As with biceps on pull day.

I'm considering switching again to the following split. Where I get more frequency in. And make this possible by booking double sessions. This way id also have time for post workout cardio which ive been neglecting

Back + chest (session 2)
Legs (single session)
Off
Delts and arms (session 2)
Off

Chest/bis
Back/tris
Legs
Shoulders
Off

soon to be :

Chest triceps (supersets and tri-supersets)
Back biceps (“ “)
Shoulders
Legs
Off (arms if my gym partner and I feel like coming in that day I’d say twice a month we throw the extra arm day in)
And then usually another day for weak points like calf’s and hams and core , extra cardio what not)