My TRT experience.

The Old Guy

Village idiot
Started this conversation back at NM.

I’ve had a long journey to get TRT but finally have it. Dr is being pretty cautious and has sent me for two blood test in the first six weeks.

I’m at 150 mg but think just based on feel, may be a bit low.

My hemogloban and blood pressure are both a bit on the high side and was unable to give blood last try as Bp was too high, so just did the 24 hr monitor and looks like Bp meds for me. Definitely need to increase cardio now more than ever.

Overall feeling good but would like to get a blast in but can’t until dr is totally satisfied with all my levels.

My Endo wants me doing my blood work in between shots. Not at the peak but as it levels off. I generally do my shots every monday evening and was getting my blood work done the monday morning, so a full week goes by. My readings are always in the upper 485/650 range and he's happy but i'll take the next blood work on the friday before my shot, expecting it to be up around 550 area.

If you want 200 mg a week because you feel low, you can delay the timing of the blood work to ensure you are in the trough and not the peak, which can work in your favour, but you may have to fib a little bit if your endo asks when you take your blood.

I am on BP meds. you can mitigate with fish oils and cardio but sometimes its just genetic. I am on Coversyl, which i highly recommend. Its an ACE inhibitor and very mild on the body, not toxic (unlike many BP meds).

My Endo wants me doing my blood work in between shots. Not at the peak but as it levels off. I generally do my shots every monday evening and was getting my blood work done the monday morning, so a full week goes by. My readings are always in the upper 485/650 range and he's happy but i'll take the next blood work on the friday before my shot, expecting it to be up around 550 area.

If you want 200 mg a week because you feel low, you can delay the timing of the blood work to ensure you are in the trough and not the peak, which can work in your favour, but you may have to fib a little bit if your endo asks when you take your blood.

It’s my family dr. He wants it the day before my shot to see the lowest point to keep me in ideal spot throughout. This guy is a gem. Young guy and he gets it.

I 've been on TRT since 98 and stared with an endo. Great guy and very knowledgeable, but I couldn't get to see him as often as he wanted to see me. I switched to having the scrip written by my GP in 99 and since then have had my test levels checked maybe three times. I get a comprehensive metabolic panel (CMP) once a month because I'm a bit of a weasel and can have it done. With my Test i go by how I feel and I feel best at 250 a week. I have gone as high as 800 weekly and my CMP stays in line. Nothing at all out of whack except creatine kinase which is basically a muscle reader.

I’m at 150 mg but think just based on feel, may be a bit low.

Same here but niiiiice initial dosage, Old Guy! :) I should move to the GTA. LOL I'm in Ottawa and had to almost beg to go up from 100mg after 6 months, to 120mg. I'm 53 and weigh 200 at 6'1.

Got new labs and urologist consult. Firstly, my Estradiol settled down to 83 from 192 in three months. Happy to see my body naturally settled that down, no AI.

Estradiol 83 pmol/L (40-160)
Testosterone Total 12.8 nmol/L (6.1-27.1)
Testosterone Free Calculated 372 pmol/L (110-660)
Testosterone Bioavailable Calculated 8.7nmol/L (2.8-15.5)
SHBG 15 nmol/L (13-89)
TSH 2.37mIU/L (0.34-5.60)
PSA 1.20ug/L (<=3.10)

All the other blood counts were Normal too.

I mentioned to the Doc perhaps I should be pinning EOD because of my low SHGB of 15 but he disagreed. He says few of his patients do the 3x a week protocal and none do EOD. Sigh... so then I told him I'm not feeling what I know I can achieve, again, and the mediocre numbers prove exactly where I'm at, at about 60% of where I was before my testosterone naturally crashed.

I wanted to double my weekly dose and go 50mg EOD but he stood firm and reluctantly said he'd up my script to 120mg a week from 100mg and to continue with 3x a week (40mg now per pin).

He says my Testosterone Bioavailable Calculated 8.7 nmol/L 2.8-15.5
is where he likes it, "safe". Has real concern with new guidelines that just came out and the lowering of test levels. Sigh....that's MID-RANGE, I know 63 year olds with Free T of 600, naturally! :(

Any suggestions or comments on my bloods, guys, besides pinning 30mg EOD because of my low SHBG, as opposed to his 40mg every 3 days? Maybe I should do daily pins of 17mg and keep it as level as possible. I use a 30 gauge 5/16" insulin syringe, SubQ into belly, no pain.

Next bloodwork in 3 months...

Last edited:
Same here but niiiiice initial dosage, Old Guy! :) I should move to the GTA. LOL I'm in Ottawa and had to almost beg to go up from 100mg after 6 months, to 120mg. I'm 53 and weigh 200 at 6'1.

Got new labs and urologist consult. Firstly, my Estradiol settled down to 83 from 192 in three months. Happy to see my body naturally settled that down, no AI.

Estradiol 83 pmol/L (40-160)
Testosterone Total 12.8 nmol/L (6.1-27.1)
Testosterone Free Calculated 372 pmol/L (110-660)
Testosterone Bioavailable Calculated 8.7nmol/L (2.8-15.5)
SHBG 15 nmol/L (13-89)
TSH 2.37mIU/L (0.34-5.60)
PSA 1.20ug/L (<=3.10)

All the other blood counts were Normal too.

I mentioned to the Doc perhaps I should be pinning EOD because of my low SHGB of 15 but he disagreed. He says few of his patients do the 3x a week protocal and none do EOD. Sigh... so then I told him I'm not feeling what I know I can achieve, again, and the mediocre numbers prove exactly where I'm at, at about 60% of where I was before my testosterone naturally crashed.

I wanted to double my weekly dose and go 50mg EOD but he stood firm and reluctantly said he'd up my script to 120mg a week from 100mg and to continue with 3x a week (40mg now per pin).

He says my Testosterone Bioavailable Calculated 8.7 nmol/L 2.8-15.5
is where he likes it, "safe". Has real concern with new guidelines that just came out and the lowering of test levels. Sigh....that's MID-RANGE, I know 63 year olds with Free T of 600, naturally! :(

Any suggestions or comments on my bloods, guys, besides pinning 30mg EOD because of my low SHBG, as opposed to his 40mg every 3 days? Maybe I should do daily pins of 17mg and keep it as level as possible. I use a 30 gauge 5/16" insulin syringe, SubQ into belly, no pain.

Next bloodwork in 3 months...

Yeah I may try and push up to 200. Been feeling low near the end of the week or inject twice.

My trt from my family doctor is terrible he has me on test undeconate 2x40mg caps 2xday . I usually figure out what to pin in cyp and stay where I feel the best.

Consider yourselves lucky that you can donate blood. Bc of my cancer history I cannot. They won’t even let me choose the discard option. It’s a 4 appt process to have a phlebotomy. Soooo, due to high hemoglobin I have to take matters into my own hands and I ordered equipment to dump blood myself. My wife has a friend that is a phlebotomist that is going to walk me through the process... gotta love our health care system.

ive tried a few different things with trt. once a week IM which is what Im doing now. its not ideal..i get highs and lows. thinking of trying test deconate.
Sub q twice a week I felt ok, but after a few months my estrogen was high.. dont know why. I also dont like subq for some reason. I felt perfect on IM shots twice a week, but im lazy and cheap..lol

See the dr this week and I’m hoping to increase to 200mg as that’s one cc so much easier.

Any idea what your Free Test is at 200mg? 1200-1400ish? I get BW next week at 110mg (two pins per week) and expect my Free Test to be right under 700. I am hoping E2 is good so no AI needed.

I was on 100mg/week. My tests showed basically middle of the road levels. As far as I'm concerned, that's fine for an average male that doesn't carry more muscle or lift heavy weights. But for people who do lift and are bigger than the average male, I don't feel it's enough to just be at 'normal' levels. I feel it should at least be in the high normal range.