Muscle Memory Myth

I find this is an interesting topic and have always wondered about it.

I ran some AAS in the 90's (Sust., EQ, small amount of Dbol - no A.I. back then) and then didn't touch anything until this past year for a cut / recomp. since my body fat was getting too high and I believed my Test. was running low.

Before I started AAS, after a few months of consistent training, I made it to 250 (still higher BF) and matched or passed all of my previous numbers on all of my lifts. The muscles may have not been quite as full but it seemed that muscle memory was real to me.

OD

Well there must be something to muscle memory if how you look in your avatar is only after a year back on training.

Well there must be something to muscle memory if how you look in your avatar is only after a year back on training.

Thanks Sorbate. I trained off and on over the years and my weight went up and down all the time. I became tired of it and then got serious and started working out regularly last fall with the main goal of getting under 10% BF and not losing too much muscle. I was around 250 lbs. with ~ 20%+ BF and I think this is where the muscle memory from past AAS use in the 90's may have kicked in somewhat.

I started a long cut / recomp. in the winter with the help of AAS. I haven't bulked with AAS since the nineties so either muscle memory works or recomps. can work or maybe it was from a bit of both (?).

I can't rely on muscle memory anymore for any new growth and would like to bulk again soon but will be careful as I really don't want to let my BF get too high ever again.

OD

Thanks Sorbate. I trained off and on over the years and my weight went up and down all the time. I became tired of it and then got serious and started working out regularly last fall with the main goal of getting under 10% BF and not losing too much muscle. I was around 250 lbs. with ~ 20%+ BF and I think this is where the muscle memory from past AAS use in the 90's may have kicked in somewhat.

I started a long cut / recomp. in the winter with the help of AAS. I haven't bulked with AAS since the nineties so either muscle memory works or recomps. can work or maybe it was from a bit of both (?).

I can't rely on muscle memory anymore for any new growth and would like to bulk again soon but will be careful as I really don't want to let my BF get too high ever again.

OD

Well I know pics can make things appear different, but you can tell you have some serious muscle.
Why is it all you fuckers that get fat easily always get big so easily. I’m just plain jealous, I have to fight for every fucking pound and if I quit training or slack on eating for any length of time I shrink back, lol.

Only advantage is I never really have to try hard to be low body fat percentage.

Not taking anything away from you though, you don’t get that developed without some serious commitment.

I joke with the kid I work with, he would like to be leaner I’d like a bit of his metabolism, I told him maybe they could do a transplant. If this kid trained he would easily get big. Not his thing though, he likes his beer too much, lol.

You know maybe I’m going about this wrong, what would you realky eat to bulk. Not the perfect diet you post online, but the real food you’d eat? You can pm with this if you don’t want to post it in the open. Maybe I’m just not eating the right high density foods?

Well I know pics can make things appear different, but you can tell you have some serious muscle.
Why is it all you fuckers that get fat easily always get big so easily. I’m just plain jealous, I have to fight for every fucking pound and if I quit training or slack on eating for any length of time I shrink back, lol.

Only advantage is I never really have to try hard to be low body fat percentage.

Not taking anything away from you though, you don’t get that developed without some serious commitment.

I joke with the kid I work with, he would like to be leaner I’d like a bit of his metabolism, I told him maybe they could do a transplant. If this kid trained he would easily get big. Not his thing though, he likes his beer too much, lol.

You know maybe I’m going about this wrong, what would you realky eat to bulk. Not the perfect diet you post online, but the real food you’d eat? You can pm with this if you don’t want to post it in the open. Maybe I’m just not eating the right high density foods?

I’m exactly the same...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks again Sorbate. I have to say that I when I was cutting I followed your log back on N.M. closely and it was inspiring to me and helped keep me motivated (and still does).

I could go into details about my nutrition and would gladly share this with you or anyone but it's far from ideal and I know I would get criticized over my diet. I try to eat the right amount of calories when cutting and am very disciplined but I never have close to enough protein and usually don't get enough carbs either. When I was heavier (fatter) and was paying less attention I had even less protein than on my cut but a lot more carbs and fats. I don't think I was ever officially bulking since my AAS days in the 90's but just trying to maintain. I have always trained pretty much as hard as I could no matter how I was eating though.

I do have a thyroid condition however, and this might help me gain weight over time (whether I like it or not) when my prescription is too low and I don't get enough medicine. I think it's kind of the opposite of taking T3 when cutting in a way.

Thank you,

OD

Thanks again Sorbate. I have to say that I when I was cutting I followed your log back on N.M. closely and it was inspiring to me and helped keep me motivated (and still does).

I could go into details about my nutrition and would gladly share this with you or anyone but it's far from ideal and I know I would get criticized over my diet. I try to eat the right amount of calories when cutting and am very disciplined but I never have close to enough protein and usually don't get enough carbs either. When I was heavier (fatter) and was paying less attention I had even less protein than on my cut but a lot more carbs and fats. I don't think I was ever officially bulking since my AAS days in the 90's but just trying to maintain. I have always trained pretty much as hard as I could no matter how I was eating though.

I do have a thyroid condition however, and this might help me gain weight over time (whether I like it or not) when my prescription is too low and I don't get enough medicine. I think it's kind of the opposite of taking T3 when cutting in a way.

Thank you,

OD

Oh well that makes sense.
Actually I was thinking that maybe the things you eat that are not ideal are the things I should eat. I just burn thru calories. I’m a pretty high energy person which doesn’t help either (please read hyper, lol)
See owning a butcher shop I’ve always kept my protien really high and carbs lower. I’ll try eating more carbs as my gut keeps healing.