max bench press calculator

jackson

Trusted Member
Hi Everyone,

I recently stumbled on to this calculator:

I haven't attempted my max bench press for a while now because i consider that a bit foolish. These days i live by the standard of what can you do for 8 reps. On that note last week i benched 245 pounds for 7 reps and this calculator thinks my max bench press is 303 pounds but If I can get 245 pounds for 9 reps i can achieve my lifelong goal of benching 315 pounds. Has anyone used this max bench press calculator? Do you think its somewhat accurate?

Cheers

Jackson

Hi Everyone,

I haven't attempted my max bench press for a while now because i consider that a bit foolish. These days i live by the standard of what can you do for 8 reps. On that note last week i benched 245 pounds for 7 reps and this calculator thinks my max bench press is 303 pounds but If I can get 245 pounds for 9 reps i can achieve my lifelong goal of benching 315 pounds. Has anyone used this max bench press calculator? Do you think its somewhat accurate?

Cheers

Jackson
There are too many factors to truly figure out your one rep max using calculation. This will give you a pretty good idea but until you move the weight on the bar it’s just a guess.

If your goal is to bench 315 that is very achievable. Work in lower ranges 5-7 and use things like push ups after benching to really build up strength.

There are lots of good strength building program like 5x5. IMHO I think everyone should start training to increase performance in a sport build strength, rather than trying to build muscle for the sake of muscle.

no bragging rights given for calculated lifts. almost as shameful as lying.
might be helpful when planning a training schedule requiring max lifts percentages.

might be helpful when planning a training schedule requiring max lifts percentages.
I would always preference it with "in theory" Im going to wait for the attempt when i can do 245 for 12 I will consider giving it a try. Cheers

Hey keep that to yourself, I just bumped up my max single by 18 lbs! Whoo Hoo! i maybe more progress in 5 minutes than the preceding 20 years1

I do not think it is accurate. Too many factors at play. I do 315 for anywhere from 12-18 reps depending on the day. State of mind etc. Psychology plays a lot into this. Getting under the bar to do 405 for me is a whole different mindset than 315. 405 max i get is 8 reps. But if i have a bad day, or mind not in it i get 0 reps and need a lift to get it off my chest...lol
Then a week later, boom 8 reps like nothing.
I guess my point is this is not near an accurate source for a 1 rep max at all.
You know as soon as you push on the bar what will happen once you are experienced. I get up and remove weight if it feels off everytime. I know so many guys that tore pecs that say as soon as i pushed off the rack i knew it was off but went anyway.
Rest pause methods work xcellent to raise you numbers. Static holds and 4 inch movements at top, bottom and mid also help.
Lots of ways to increase it, but if you told anyone your max is X number after calculating you would be either selling yourself short or more likely exaggerating the numbers. Its not a one rep max until it comes off the rack, down and back up again amigo.

I think they are a good tool in the lower reg ranges. But If I do my max for bench with 14+ reps it gives me a 1 rep max I couldn't touch..haha

Hi Everyone,

Cheers

Jackson
I've found is you can 225 for 10 good reps, you can do 300. This is if you don't train using heavier weights than 225. If you regularly use heavier weights (275 and more) I have found you can do more than 300 if you can do 225 for 10.

I didn't look at the calculator... I get fairly bothered when ppl talk about what they can bench lol.. The ONLY guys I tend to believe are guys I actually see do what they say they can or have witnesses I 100% trust.. Both of these situations are extremly rare lol..

There's a guy at my gym who tells anywho who will stop and make eye contact with him that he can do 225 for like 25 reps.. He can't lol.. He simply can't.. coupled with the fact that NO ONE has ever seen him bench more than 200lbs.. The first time he told me about his benching prowess and clearly he thought he thinks he's a benching God, I told him stone cold "I've done 455 without any wraps/suits or anyone touching the bar and about 10 witnesses, one being the gym owner"... He stopped, looked at me for like 0.5 seconds and went on with his claims.. None of his claims came close to my 455, yet it almost seemed like he never heard me say it lol..

I do not think it is accurate. Too many factors at play. I do 315 for anywhere from 12-18 reps depending on the day. State of mind etc. Psychology plays a lot into this. Getting under the bar to do 405 for me is a whole different mindset than 315. 405 max i get is 8 reps. But if i have a bad day, or mind not in it i get 0 reps and need a lift to get it off my chest...lol
Then a week later, boom 8 reps like nothing.
I guess my point is this is not near an accurate source for a 1 rep max at all.
You know as soon as you push on the bar what will happen once you are experienced. I get up and remove weight if it feels off everytime. I know so many guys that tore pecs that say as soon as i pushed off the rack i knew it was off but went anyway.
Rest pause methods work xcellent to raise you numbers. Static holds and 4 inch movements at top, bottom and mid also help.
Lots of ways to increase it, but if you told anyone your max is X number after calculating you would be either selling yourself short or more likely exaggerating the numbers. Its not a one rep max until it comes off the rack, down and back up again amigo.

It's funny.. lets say a guy can do like 200 for 8 reps.. and lets say thats the calculaotr tells him his max is 285lbs.. If that guy only ever lifts with 200lbs, he will be completely floord and shocked when he tries to put 285 and get the single the calculator tells him he can..

Nothing can prepare you for the feeling of a bar swaying over your chest that weighs much more then you've ever felt in your life except trying it.. and processing that feeling of "holy fuck I have never thought a heavy weight could ever feel like this" usually kills that whole notion of "if I can do x amount of weight for x reps, it means my max is X"

I've found is you can 225 for 10 good reps, you can do 300. This is if you don't train using heavier weights than 225. If you regularly use heavier weights (275 and more) I have found you can do more than 300 if you can do 225 for 10.

I didn't look at the calculator... I get fairly bothered when ppl talk about what they can bench lol.. The ONLY guys I tend to believe are guys I actually see do what they say they can or have witnesses I 100% trust.. Both of these situations are extremly rare lol..

There's a guy at my gym who tells anywho who will stop and make eye contact with him that he can do 225 for like 25 reps.. He can't lol.. He simply can't.. coupled with the fact that NO ONE has ever seen him bench more than 200lbs.. The first time he told me about his benching prowess and clearly he thought he thinks he's a benching God, I told him stone cold "I've done 455 without any wraps/suits or anyone touching the bar and about 10 witnesses, one being the gym owner"... He stopped, looked at me for like 0.5 seconds and went on with his claims.. None of his claims came close to my 455, yet it almost seemed like he never heard me say it lol..
Yes, lots and lots of Bs'ers out there.
No one except on here ever hears me talk about my bench presses. I listen a lot to folks statements, or claims.
I care only that my Spouse sees and knows. She and i have been together 16 yrs and trained since day 1 together, competed together etc.
BUT, when i do bench after i never say anything, and other folks are in the gym. i hear about it from everyone else. OR the best is when they hear about it and i come in the gym next day and guys are saying, holy shit....Apparently some dude had his lady spotting for him and he ripped off 405 or whatever weight I'm using and she barely touched the bar except last rep.
I smile and say, wow. Then a little later the person comes up and says you bugger that was you, my buddy over there was talking about it.

I am not a bragger, i will share on here to like minded folks, but it ends there. As long as momma knows, that's all i care about...

Those other folks are only covering up what they do not have. The real deals never say a word...In may facets of life...

@animal-inside
455 is a damn good lift man IMO.
Ive not tried it and can do 405 for several reps, but have never had one more lb on my bench above 405 and probably wont, as i dont have the support to assist if it goes bad....
Good stuff....

No one except on here ever hears me talk about my bench presses. I listen a lot to folks statements, or claims.
I care only that my Spouse sees and knows. She and i have been together 16 yrs and trained since day 1 together, competed together etc.
BUT, when i do bench after i never say anything, and other folks are in the gym. i hear about it from everyone else. OR the best is when they hear about it and i come in the gym next day and guys are saying, holy shit....Apparently some dude had his lady spotting for him and he ripped off 405 or whatever weight I'm using and she barely touched the bar except last rep.
I smile and say, wow. Then a little later the person comes up and says you bugger that was you, my buddy over there was talking about it.

I am not a bragger, i will share on here to like minded folks, but it ends there. As long as momma knows, that's all i care about...

Those other folks are only covering up what they do not have. The real deals never say a word...In may facets of life...

@animal-inside
Ive not tried it and can do 405 for several reps, but have never had one more lb on my bench above 405 and probably wont, as i dont have the support to assist if it goes bad....
Good stuff....

That part about people discussing it the next day cracks me up.

That part about people discussing it the next day cracks me up.
Soap operas, maybe they dont get out much...lol @gondar1
It cracks the wife and i up as well. especially once they realize...

Hey i am not a big deal in Japan, but i feel like a big fish in a wee tiny pond...I get 2 seconds of glory a couple times per year at best.
Not in the bedroom, or at work, but i shine in the gym when there is 5 members or less.

@animal-inside
Good stuff....

I prefer my wife spot me. She is careful with helping me lift off, and knows i dont want a finger on the bar unless i say to take it.
I have had a few strangers “intervene” and suggest my wife move away and they should spot me. It pisses me off at times and i will say shit like i e seen you lift, and have more faith my wife could pull this off me if something goes wrong. Lol.
Only time she wants nothiNg to do with it is my couple attempts at five plates. It scares her. Lol

I prefer my wife spot me. She is careful with helping me lift off, and knows i dont want a finger on the bar unless i say to take it.
I have had a few strangers “intervene” and suggest my wife move away and they should spot me. It pisses me off at times and i will say shit like i e seen you lift, and have more faith my wife could pull this off me if something goes wrong. Lol.
Only time she wants nothiNg to do with it is my couple attempts at five plates. It scares her. Lol
Absolutely man. 16 years she has trained pretty much every session with me. Maybe missed a few in all the time.
My wife stands back and as you say...Doesn't even really enter my line of sight until her instinct knows when i am about done. Then she will put very slight effort to help me finish...
I don't think id be able to trian with others and spotting me as if they touch too soon, my blood boils a little....lol

5 plates would be wicked. Have you got it yet?
In all my years training ive only seen a few guys properly execute 5 plates raw. Actually maybe only a couple. Many with shirts etc, but that is not a lift IMHO. Not at all.

Absolutely man. 16 years she has trained pretty much every session with me. Maybe missed a few in all the time.
My wife stands back and as you say...Doesn't even really enter my line of sight until her instinct knows when i am about done. Then she will put very slight effort to help me finish...
I don't think id be able to trian with others and spotting me as if they touch too soon, my blood boils a little....lol

5 plates would be wicked. Have you got it yet?
In all my years training ive only seen a few guys properly execute 5 plates raw. Actually maybe only a couple. Many with shirts etc, but that is not a lift IMHO. Not at all.
I have made it halfway up and thats it. Only
Made two or three attempts. 455 many times, but after slacking so bad the past year I wouldnt try even that much.
I am at the point now where i am pissed off that i cant do near what i could this time last year (stopped training, drank like an idiot and started smoking) so i quit smoking a few weeks ago and already improving. Still need to build a proper bench then get my meals back on track and hopefully get some weight back on me and on the bar!

I have made it halfway up and thats it. Only
Made two or three attempts. 455 many times, but after slacking so bad the past year I wouldnt try even that much.
I am at the point now where i am pissed off that i cant do near what i could this time last year (stopped training, drank like an idiot and started smoking) so i quit smoking a few weeks ago and already improving. Still need to build a proper bench then get my meals back on track and hopefully get some weight back on me and on the bar!
That is good brother. After a break i am certain you know, you will probably blow past your last best. Fuck, i hope you get the 5 plates man....I bet you will.

I had to take a mini break due to horse breaking my shoulder and arm etc. BUT, i am better than i was before. I hated being out for the while i was, but i feel like a damn beast now once again.
Crazy how quick it returns and surpasses.

I benched a legit 500 a few times with the wife spotting me and now im maxing out on 85lb dumbbells thanks to the rotator cuff tear. Im actually happy with those numbers because for a while even 30lb dbs were hurting me. I dont think i will ever flat bench again actually and i am changing all my training to a slightly higher volume style.

I benched a legit 500 a few times with the wife spotting me and now im maxing out on 85lb dumbbells thanks to the rotator cuff tear. Im actually happy with those numbers because for a while even 30lb dbs were hurting me. I dont think i will ever flat bench again actually and i am changing all my training to a slightly higher volume style.
Nice numbers man. Very nice.
After my accident i have no rotator cuff tendons anymore. GONE....BUT, i can still lift and it has not hurt me much except a bit of issues when trying to put arm in positions now.
I have also started higher volume 20 sets per bodypart now for awhile.
Still decently heavy, but more volume opposed to the rest pause DC style I've been doing forever.
In a couple months i will switch back once again to Rest pause, lower reps and less sets.

Muscle mass still coming on, strength still very good so ill stick with higher volume for a bit. I just changed my diet to accommodate the extra time in the gym and calories used etc.
I do not believe i will ever get a 500 bench now after the damages. I will keep in the 315-365 lb range for higher reps now. It was my dream to get it, and when i was in the hospital i literally shed a tear and went through a bit of a grieving process. I thought the prognosis was worse, as did the docs...BUT, its much better than we thought. Yet ill not get my dream of 500. 405 pushes hard on shoulder joint and it feels really off, so i stopped that one as well. I still got it decently easy, but without rotators it is not as stable as id like.