Improving sleep quality

Love my apnea machine but it took about 3 or 4 months to get used to wearing it but once I adjusted it was the best thing I did for my sleep problems! Now I just wish I could find a way to stop thinking about things when my head hits the pillow .

Love my apnea machine but it took about 3 or 4 months to get used to wearing it but once I adjusted it was the best thing I did for my sleep problems! Now I just wish I could find a way to stop thinking about things when my head hits the pillow .
Turn the weather channel on your tv and set the tv to turn off after 30 minutes. Just lay back and listen to the boring ass weather channel and the horrible calming music, lol

Worked for me for years.

I wear my sleep apnea machine as well. Most of the time its good, but once in a while its so uncomfortable. Or I get sick of it. So for a couple days I’ll wear a breathe right strip. I’m usually good for a couple days, then the horrible snoring comes back.
Its almost like my body got used to the deep breathing from the sleep apnea machine, but then reverts back to its old ways after a couple of days.

I have a CPAP but it's almost 20 years old and I didn't really use it much because I don't like it much. I'm going to request a sleep study from my doctor and maybe get a new one. I sleep better the less I weigh and the less water I'm carrying but I snore and as I'm getting older I'm caring more about my health.

Well, just got a sleep study done.
45 AHI an hour, so a little concerning lol.
Guess it’s time for me to become darth vader at night. Anyone have any advice/recommendations?
You can go to a professional and buy their machine and they will set it up, monitor it with a modem, and make recommendations on the proper settings so your sleep is solid but it costs double for the machine. I have a Phillips Respironics and needed it as I would wake the house when I hit 240 lbs snoring, and stop breathing for about a minute multiple times an hour. You can go to the website and buy it direct for half but check with the professionals who did the testing to ensure they will help you if you have problems. This is one that was recalled so they took care of it. Many were recalled and you get a new unit as many and I mean a shit load were deemed to give off carcinogenic fumes from the insulation in the machines so if you buy a used or even a new one from a company make sure you check the model on the list.
@Sorbate does what I do - I have a sleep ritual with a timer for the TV and cover all lights, phone on silent, etc. Sleep hygiene - just look it up and it will help. If you do hire the professionals, they will help find the best mask for you (fit and type). I just purchased the middle model that goes around the nose, not the full face one or the small one with little tubes up your nose. They will have you come back after you use it for a couple weeks and make sure it is fixing the problem but you will know if you have sleep apnea as it is a game changer.

Cleaning the machine is a pain but you have to do it or you will end up with lung infections. They say to do it every 3 days - the tube, the distilled water holder, and the hose but I don't. I do it once a week and then just hand to dry. Takes 15 minutes in a clean sink but still a pain.

I was blown away when I called my companies coverage for life time coverage as it was a lot. 5000 for machines, 5000 for parts/service, and 5000 for consultations life time if I recall correct. I have my own company and have a good plan with manulife - I haven't paid a cent yet and the other benefit of using a reputable company is you have to change the filter and some parts every 6 months or so and unless your diligent you may forget. They call you because they get a sale, the insurer just pays it and you take the filter home.

Doesn't bother me in the least but I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. I was tired a lot and the better half asked me if I knew I stopped breathing and could shake the walls with snoring - nope. Decided it was time. When I slimmed down it got better but they are a game changer. Proper sleep is very important in general and especially if you push yourself.

Good luck.

Well, just got a sleep study done.
45 AHI an hour, so a little concerning lol.
Guess it’s time for me to become darth vader at night. Anyone have any advice/recommendations?
Congrats man. Treating my sleep apnea was a huge game changer in so many aspects of my life.
What kind of advice are you seeking? The clinic you’re working with should be holding your hand throughout this whole process.

Interesting that a lot have sleep apnea issues, do people find it is in relation to their weight or is it just something that they'll have regardless of lifestyle changes?

They now have APAP machines rather than just CPAP.

Those are smarter and adjust and increase or back off on their own.

They often don't require a second sleep study in order to tune it for the "ramping up" and pressure, etc.

I recommend seeing if you can get one of those if possible.

Here's some basic info. for starters:

Good luck,

OD

Interesting that a lot have sleep apnea issues, do people find it is in relation to their weight or is it just something that they'll have regardless of lifestyle changes?
I was around 190lbs when mine was diagnosed. I think it has more to do with muscular development than total body weight as @Trenbolone&Cheese mentioned. I was as heavy as 230lbs in the past (with no muscle) and had no sleeping issues.

I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea and could not tolerate CPAP. My dentist and fitted me for a Mandibular Advancement Device. I have not went back for a repeat sleap study, but I no longer snore or stop breathing durning sleep. My blood pressure and caffeine consumption are also down. https://www.klauszdentallab.com/orthotics-sleep/
Is that some sort of mouth guard? The doc with the clinic I went to offered that to me if I thought the CPAP wouldn’t work well.

Out of curiosity, how fair of a chance did you give the CPAP? Try different masks and sleep positions? I struggled for a week at the most and it’s second nature ever since

I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea and could not tolerate CPAP. My dentist and fitted me for a Mandibular Advancement Device. I have not went back for a repeat sleap study, but I no longer snore or stop breathing durning sleep. My blood pressure and caffeine consumption are also down. https://www.klauszdentallab.com/orthotics-sleep/
I looked it up and just bought one off of amazon to see if it will work, and if it does and fits like crap, I’ll go to my dentist and get a fitted one.
I hope it works because I find my cpap machine annoying.

I was around 190lbs when mine was diagnosed. I think it has more to do with muscular development than total body weight as @Trenbolone&Cheese mentioned. I was as heavy as 230lbs in the past (with no muscle) and had no sleeping issues.
I agree with this, even when lean I snore more because of my body weight.
Didn’t snore as much when I was just normal sized.

Is that some sort of mouth guard? The doc with the clinic I went to offered that to me if I thought the CPAP wouldn’t work well.

Out of curiosity, how fair of a chance did you give the CPAP? Try different masks and sleep positions? I struggled for a week at the most and it’s second nature ever since
It is a mouth guartd that is adjusted gradually to bring your lower jaw forward thereby preventin your tongue and tissues from obstructin the airway. It is not recommended for severe sleep apnea but its btter than throwing the CPAP mask on the floor which I did nightly after a few hours.

As a regular victim of insomnia, as well as being super sensitive (sleep-wise) to deca and lgd-4033, I found that gaba+melatonin work well. Apparently they have a synergistic effect. Melatonin alone does nothing for me

As a regular victim of insomnia, as well as being super sensitive (sleep-wise) to deca and lgd-4033, I found that gaba+melatonin work well. Apparently they have a synergistic effect. Melatonin alone does nothing for me
I like melatonin with theanine too. They go good together

I tried a mouth device, I’d have to wear a chin strap,
I kept opening my mouth father in my sleep and my teeth fell out of the device. Too bad I was hoping it would work, much easier than dragging along a cpap machine.

If I gotta wear a chin strap, might as well wear a nasal mask.