Food prices

Does anyone know if a good butcher can make the cheaper cuts any better ? Can anything be done to soften the tougher cuts up ? I’d hate to skimp on good meat but I have a family to feed I have to do what makes sense. SaltyDawg
Crock pot. Tastes amazing, anything becomes tender and you can do a whole meal in the crockpot slow cooker with meat, potatoes and carrots etc.
I just shot a moose and he is real good mostly. They have a few tough cuts regardless of age. Slow cooker crock pot does it amazing. Many recipes etc.
For tough cuts look at Swiss steak recipes with tomatoes etc. Makes tender.
One more good trick is to line the top of a tough steak with kiwis and marinate for several hours, the kiwi enzymes break down the tough proteins and collagens. Don’t go too long as it can turn almost pasty.

Crock pot. Tastes amazing, anything becomes tender and you can do a whole meal in the crockpot slow cooker with meat, potatoes and carrots etc.
I just shot a moose and he is real good mostly. They have a few tough cuts regardless of age. Slow cooker crock pot does it amazing. Many recipes etc.
For tough cuts look at Swiss steak recipes with tomatoes etc. Makes tender.
One more good trick is to line the top of a tough steak with kiwis and marinate for several hours, the kiwi enzymes break down the tough proteins and collagens. Don’t go too long as it can turn almost pasty.
Thanks for the tip

Thanks for the tip
I’m a dirty minded fool by nature. But I also respect the ladies on here always.

now if I was not on here and I felt a bit feisty, I would say your welcome for the tip, next time I’ll use the whole thing.
I can’t help myself. And mean zero disrespect but it’s a gooder and couldn’t pass the opportunity up.
Lol

I’m a dirty minded fool by nature. But I also respect the ladies on here always.

now if I was not on here and I felt a bit feisty, I would say your welcome for the tip, next time I’ll use the whole thing.
I can’t help myself. And mean zero disrespect but it’s a gooder and couldn’t
You and lot of gentlemen do too.
pass the opportunity up.
Lol

Oh yea the food prices have been steadily increasing the last 5 years or so. Just from a few years back many items have doubled in price and even just basic items have gone up by 2-3 dollars. It doesn't sound like much until you have a cart with 50 items all with an added $2 each

I’m a cheap fucker so I try to only buy meat on sale, I wait for whole packer brisket to go on sale last one a couple weeks ago was $3.49/lbs so I bought 3 of them. I also stocked up on whole beef tenderloin when they were $11.99/lbs and bought 5 of them and cut into steaks and then use the leftover portions for stir-fry’s and stews.

I’m a cheap fucker so I try to only buy meat on sale, I wait for whole packer brisket to go on sale last one a couple weeks ago was $3.49/lbs so I bought 3 of them. I also stocked up on whole beef tenderloin when they were $11.99/lbs and bought 5 of them and cut into steaks and then use the leftover portions for stir-fry’s and stews.
Perfect...I do the same, hell i will buy the stuff at 30% off as well, it is usually one day from shelf expiry, i buy them all when i see them, chicken and beef. I take home, vacuum seal and freeze, and just as good as full price stuff all day long....

i use an app called flipp to shop for meat deals. before the increases i was able to fill my freezer with rib steak and roast in the summer sales for $7/lb. this summer it was $9. i fill the gaps with strip loin on sale usually for $9/lb on sale. and if im out of those i can warm age blade or any cheap roast into something that tastes premium. its a technique ive mentioned before using an immersion cooker. ive been thinking about wet aging sub primals from wholesale club. they are low grade but pre wrapped.
I wet age all my meat. Ask the production date when purchasing and leave in your fridge for 3 weeks. Watch the gas and amount of blood in the bag, once you start getting gas bubbles and a fir bit of purge its ready. Now my cooler is very consistant in temperature, so I can age 6-12 weeks.

I shop as much as possible at No Frills, have been for years. I'm still surprised at how low the total is at the till. The rest I get at Costco.

Having spent a week at a resort in Mexico I can appreciate slow cooking/simmering methods used to cook cheaper cuts of meat. Most of their meat dishes served on the line are very tender and full of flavour. I’m going to introduce more slow cooking to tougher cuts.

Paid $54 for two rib steaks today. My regular butcher shop isn’t open on Sundays and we had a desire for steak.

As @Sorbate said with our newly elected government continue to print money inflation isn’t going to slow down.

Good news is oil and gas is picking up. 😊
What part of oil and gas you doing?

Having spent a week at a resort in Mexico I can appreciate slow cooking/simmering methods used to cook cheaper cuts of meat. Most of their meat dishes served on the line are very tender and full of flavour. I’m going to introduce more slow cooking to tougher cuts.
My gf got a pressure cooker/ insta pot. I‘m really amazed, a cheap pot roast or pork chops come out full of flavour and tender.

I used to steer clear of pork as it’s always dry. Not like this. 👍

This was a huge factor..

Then it was all the min wage increases..

Then it was covid shortages...

Now its inflatation..

PS ...inflatation is the biggest tax going..
You have to remember we pay tax on top of the cost of goods. So in Ontario the tax on a $50 item was $6.50 and now if that item costs $100 the tax paid is $13.00.

So the feds actually enjoying inflation as it increases taxes paid and they can claim no increase in taxes.