Food prices

Hey C.B. Has anyone else noticed a big increase in the cost of food lately ? Healthy eating has been incredibly expensive lately and the price of meat I mean good meat is ridiculous beef and turkey for example I paid $56 for a turkey and I wanted a nice steak and it costed me $28. Good time to be a butcher I guess . SaltyDawg
Yep used to buy a Beef eye of round roast at Costco for $25-$30, just picked up a couple today, and they’re now going for $40-$50 FFS

Its not just food. Everything is higher. Highest inflation rate in decades. We are above 4% now and normally its somewhere around 0.25%. Its only about to get worse unfortunately. Gas, electricity and nat gas will be ridiculous in the coming months. All i can say is lock in your energy rates now if you can
I looked it up, normal inflation rate is around 1.5-2% a year. We are for sure more then 4% though.

beef has gone up 20%
At least. The margins the stores and the butchers make have reduced to compensate.
So the raw material has increased more than 20%.

Soon there will be memes about people being rich for having meat in the freezer, like it was with lumber.

i use an app called flipp to shop for meat deals. before the increases i was able to fill my freezer with rib steak and roast in the summer sales for $7/lb. this summer it was $9. i fill the gaps with strip loin on sale usually for $9/lb on sale. and if im out of those i can warm age blade or any cheap roast into something that tastes premium. its a technique ive mentioned before using an immersion cooker. ive been thinking about wet aging sub primals from wholesale club. they are low grade but pre wrapped.

i use an app called flipp to shop for meat deals. before the increases i was able to fill my freezer with rib steak and roast in the summer sales for $7/lb. this summer it was $9. i fill the gaps with strip loin on sale usually for $9/lb on sale. and if im out of those i can warm age blade or any cheap roast into something that tastes premium. its a technique ive mentioned before using an immersion cooker. ive been thinking about wet aging sub primals from wholesale club. they are low grade but pre wrapped.

Is it relevant in any province / city?

Does anyone know if a good butcher can make the cheaper cuts any better ? Can anything be done to soften the tougher cuts up ? I’d hate to skimp on good meat but I have a family to feed I have to do what makes sense. SaltyDawg

Does anyone know if a good butcher can make the cheaper cuts any better ? Can anything be done to soften the tougher cuts up ? I’d hate to skimp on good meat but I have a family to feed I have to do what makes sense. SaltyDawg
Chew more lol. We got teeth for a reason!

You can't over-cook cheaper cuts. Make sure you take them off the grill rare, makes a big difference. Also you could try marinating your cuts in milk or pop which is supposed to help soften them up. Or beat them up with a meat hammer. Honestly I don't mind my meat chewy anyway.

You could
You could slow cook the meat. It's what I do if I found some tough or try to cook it. I found steak steak tough I cook it just under so it's not tough. I don't know anything about butchers though.

Yeah chewing is fine for me lol , But I do have younger children that might have a little harder time with it . SaltyDawg

Chew more lol. We got teeth for a reason!

You can't over-cook cheaper cuts. Make sure you take them off the grill rare, makes a big difference. Also you could try marinating your cuts in milk or pop which is supposed to help soften them up. Or beat them up with a meat hammer. Honestly I don't mind my meat chewy anyway.
You can buy papain at the grocery store in the spice isle. Put it on your steak 30 min before cooking.
Nothing you will do will make a lower quality steak be like a 10 week aged AA ribeye steak. (towards the chuck end)

Btw A is grade A. More A’s means more fat not better quality.

you can buy a jaccard tool. its like mechanical tenderizing at home. you can wet, warm, or dry age meat. as sorbate said, you can chemically tenderize with enzymes or salt. also slow and low cooking

You can buy papain at the grocery store in the spice isle. Put it on your steak 30 min before cooking.
Nothing you will do will make a lower quality steak be like a 10 week aged AA ribeye steak. (towards the chuck end)

Btw A is grade A. More A’s means more fat not better quality.

I wasn't aware of the more A's just means more fat.
I thought it had something to do with amount of time the cow spent grazing as opposed to grain feeding.

Try pineapple marinade, it contain bromelain that soften the muscle fiber.