Food prices

SaltyDawg

Trusted Member
Hey C.B. Has anyone else noticed a big increase in the cost of food lately ? Healthy eating has been incredibly expensive lately and the price of meat I mean good meat is ridiculous beef and turkey for example I paid $56 for a turkey and I wanted a nice steak and it costed me $28. Good time to be a butcher I guess . SaltyDawg

I go to to a store where I need a member ship. I get 4 steaks in a 1 package for $30-40. I also get ground beef family pack for $22-30 and I get 6 meals out of it. I haven't really see meat price at Grocery store. Only go the grocery store if the above said store doesn't carry the items I need. I need to go the grocery store this week. I will check the prices then.

Hey C.B. Has anyone else noticed a big increase in the cost of food lately ? Healthy eating has been incredibly expensive lately and the price of meat I mean good meat is ridiculous beef and turkey for example I paid $56 for a turkey and I wanted a nice steak and it costed me $28. Good time to be a butcher I guess . SaltyDawg
450 g ground chicken 5.99, 750 ml cottage cheese 5.75, 18 eggs 6 bucks. Delissio pizza....3.99

Actually as a butcher, our margins are lower than they were over a year ago.
The price of our raw materials has drastically increased.
The bullshit you hear on the news about only 3% meat increase makes me laugh my ass off.

Before covid I could buy inside rounds for $2.99 per pound. Last week which was average was $4.29 -$4.59 depending on supplier.
Ribeyes were $9.99 per pound are now are $15.99.
Remember this is cost price, I’m not including trimming, packaging or labour, nevermind electricty which has increased about 15% and gas to heat the store.
Before the carbon tax scam my monthly power bill was about $1300 in the summer, but after price increases and carbon tax, it’s now a bit over $2000.
How I am making my money is thru volume. But for volume you need lots of staff. Good fucking luck with that one because they are paying people enough to not work.

$56 is a good price. The air chilled range fed antibiotic free ones are $3.69 a pound.
I don’t know if I’m going to bother selling turkeys this Christmas. I pay $3.30 a pound to buy them. I need to rent a truck to store them because I don’t have enough cooler space and that’s $500, nevermind if it’s really cold then I need to pay power to heat the truck so they don’t freeze.

Truthfully, I made better profits in 1995 than I do now. I make more money now because I have well over 100,000 people shop at my store a year now, where it would not have been half that back then.

It’s tough for all of us, covid made a mess and the govt printing and spending money like drunken teenagers is causing huge inflation. It’s going to get worse. With gas price increases, all meat comes in a truck, prices will increase another 10%, add on another carbon tax increase and it will raise another 3-4%.

Vac bags we package in doubled in price last week. Thank god I always have a years stock on that (I think of it as an investment, the price never goes down, so if there is a deal I buy)

Truthfully I’m concerned. But I have a plan of meat gets way too high, I’ll become the ungraded shit meat discount store. I’ve worked in big commercial plants, I know how to make garbage taste good for cheap. I’d just rather sell good product.

Last edited:
Indeed, so frustrating....eggs, beef, chicken, some veggies, essentially a price increase on EVERYTHING

How can you buy a shitty 2000 calorie delissio pizza for 3.99, and cottage cheese at 6, spinach is 3 bucks a bag

I don t live to far from you and yes I’ve noticed a big increase in the last month food is bad but it’s not just food it’s everything,I Allways payed 2289 for Express post got one Friday it was 2427 it’s getting crazy

I eat 3 large eggs with 125 gs of cottage cheese mixed together 3 times a day in between meals and im going broke
Jesus dude, you need to find a different job.
I thought you worked at a car plant? Isn’t that a good paying job?

Kazien whey protien isolate from Costco is cheaper and likely does the same thing.

Jesus dude, you need to find a different job.
I thought you worked at a car plant? Isn’t that a good paying job?

Kazien whey protien isolate from Costco is cheaper and likely does the same thing.
Ya it is lol i was being sarcastic but it is 20 bucks every two days just for those two items alone. I like to eat!

Its only going to get worse.
We buy all our meat directly from a local small farm so its still decent, but it wont last. I am getting nervous because i am eating about 10.5 kilos of beef by myself each week. Plus my breakfast and supper. Soon be $1000 a week for food.
But we are prepared for shortages and insane prices. Been canning thousands of dollars in meats for the past year.
I hope you guys are paying attention and preparing as much as possible. If you can store food now it wont hurt. Even if you dont need it for supply issues, you will save money in the long run.
Good chance the shelves and going to get more empty. Prices will skyrocket.
They will collapse society one way or another.

We buy all our meat directly from a local small farm so its still decent, but it wont last. I am getting nervous because i am eating about 10.5 kilos of beef by myself each week. Plus my breakfast and supper. Soon be $1000 a week for food.
But we are prepared for shortages and insane prices. Been canning thousands of dollars in meats for the past year.
I hope you guys are paying attention and preparing as much as possible. If you can store food now it wont hurt. Even if you dont need it for supply issues, you will save money in the long run.
Could you please pm me the instructions on canning meat?

I can guarantee we will not run out of meat. Canada produces more than we eat.
80% of our beef gets exported. There is a quota in place that stipulates that a certian percentage must stay in our country.
As far as pork and chicken goes, there is more than enough supply locally.
The start of covid and the enormous stockpiling of food, put a strain on our supply chain, but not once was I shorted. I may have had to wait a couple days, or pay a way higher price because if supply and demand, but I always received product.

We also grow our own feed here in Canada as well. Thank god we are not high density like the USA and some people would like us to be.

Paid $54 for two rib steaks today. My regular butcher shop isn’t open on Sundays and we had a desire for steak.

As @Sorbate said with our newly elected government continue to print money inflation isn’t going to slow down.

Good news is oil and gas is picking up. 😊

Saw a TikTok a couple weeks ago and this onion producer was standing in a giant warehouse full and basically gave a PSA to help people save a bit of money. He explained contracts on goods like his and many many others are going to be expiring very soon and as a result of his costs going up that would be passed on to the consumer to the tune of 40-60%. His suggestion was if you had the means and the space to stock up on non perishables and canned goods to help save some money.

I can guarantee we will not run out of meat. Canada produces more than we eat.
80% of our beef gets exported. There is a quota in place that stipulates that a certian percentage must stay in our country.
As far as pork and chicken goes, there is more than enough supply locally.
The start of covid and the enormous stockpiling of food, put a strain on our supply chain, but not once was I shorted. I may have had to wait a couple days, or pay a way higher price because if supply and demand, but I always received product.

We also grow our own feed here in Canada as well. Thank god we are not high density like the USA and some people would like us to be.
Its not about running out of meat, its about getting that meat to the consumer. Supply chains. Packing plants, transport trucks, etc.
Wait and see what kinda carbon taxes they will hit cattle farmers with too.
As far as regulation, legislation and quotas, I think we can all see now laws dont mean shit in this country.

I believe there will be food shortages and it is by design.
at the bullshit climate change seminar a few months ago they openly stated people need their meat consumption reduced to 4 Oz per week or month? No time to look it up. That was Biden's speech I believe.
Read their papers. Eat bugs. Drink sewage. No cars. No property. Own nothing and be happy.
This is no joke. Fight back or starve.

Its not just food. Everything is higher. Highest inflation rate in decades. We are above 4% now and normally its somewhere around 0.25%. Its only about to get worse unfortunately. Gas, electricity and nat gas will be ridiculous in the coming months. All i can say is lock in your energy rates now if you can