Finally got my appointment

My doc prescribed the gel, went to pharmacy picked it up got home and learned the wife and animals cant touch you on it. Went right back to doc and told him what the fuck is the point of being on something that will get the little guy going but wife cant touch me. Few minutes later walked out with new script for test e.

Well I have been on the gel now for nearly 3 months. I have missed a few applications during this time and due to my work the time of day its applied can vary widely by over 12 hours. Not really an ideal situation for a product with such a short half life. Personally I don't notice much of a difference. Of course I had baseline blood work done 3 months ago and Yesterday I had blood work done again. In advance of my second appointment. The results honestly were surprising. I am going to ask if we can switch to injections though. I'm sure its a better choice with my work schedule which is continental rapid rotation. I have not been on any gear in at least two years and could be longer than that. So the change in results is totally the AndroGel.

Base line results:

Testosterone
LO
8.4 - 28.8
nmol/L
Test repeated and results confirmed.
Total Testosterone levels may not reflect the
biologically-active testosterone when SHBG levels
are abnormal.

Testosterone Free
LO
179-475
pmol/L
Interpret free testosterone results with caution
in presence of significant hypoalbuminemia.

Results after nearly 3 months on AndroGel:

Testosterone
HI
8.4 - 28.8
nmol/L
Total Testosterone levels may not reflect the
biologically-active testosterone when SHBG levels
are abnormal.

Testosterone Free
HI
179-475
pmol/L
Interpret free testosterone results with caution
in presence of significant hypoalbuminemia.

BTW just one more piece to the puzzle. The last time I used the AndroGel before this last blood work was 31hrs before. I had purposefully put off taking that days dose until after the bloods were taken in the hope it would lower the results.

Last edited:
What's the half life of the andro gel?

I read a lot about how you can manipulate the androgel. Bascially after you apply it, wait until it dries on the skin. Then moisten the skin. This will cause more testosterone to absorb.

DO you sweat a lot during the day? If so, I'm guessing you absorbed more then it intended you too.

HOw many packets are you on per day? I was on one per day and it made my testosterone levels DROP about 4 points.

What's the half life of the andro gel?

I read a lot about how you can manipulate the androgel. Bascially after you apply it, wait until it dries on the skin. Then moisten the skin. This will cause more testosterone to absorb.

DO you sweat a lot during the day? If so, I'm guessing you absorbed more then it intended you too.

HOw many packets are you on per day? I was on one per day and it made my testosterone levels DROP about 4 points.

A lazy search on my part.

Excretion

There is considerable variation in the half-life of testosterone concentration as reported in the literature, ranging from 10 to 100 minutes. About 90% of a dose of testosterone given intramuscularly is excreted in the urine as glucuronic acid and sulfuric acid conjugates of testosterone and its metabolites. About 6% of a dose is excreted in the feces, mostly in the unconjugated form. Inactivation of testosterone occurs primarily in the liver.

When AndroGel 1.62% treatment is discontinued, serum testosterone concentrations return to approximately baseline concentrations within 48-72 hours after administration of the last dose.

Pharmacology

Mechanism of Action

Endogenous androgen; promotes growth and development of male sex organs and maintains secondary sex characteristics in androgen-deficient males

Absorption

Duration: 24-48 hr (gel)

Peak plasma time: 2-6 hr

Peak effect: 3-24 months

Distribution

Protein bound: 98%

Vd: 75-122 L/kg

Metabolism

Metabolized in liver to glucuronic and sulfuric acid conjugates

Metabolites: Testosterone glucuronic conjugate (activity unknown), testosterone sulfuric acid conjugate (activity unknown), testosterone-19-d3

Elimination

Half-life: 10-100 min

Renal clearance: 2 L/min

Excretion: Urine (90%), feces (6%)

1 packet per day is all that I use. I do sweat at work as its hot in the plant even in the winter. I was absolutelty floored by the results.

I'm not sure if it comes in different doseages but the one I am using is 5g packets.

This is what we have in Canada. I'm not sure about the States.
DIN (Drug Identification Number)

02245345 ANDROGEL 2.5G / PACKET TESTOSTERONE 1% GEL
02245346 ANDROGEL 5G / PACKET TESTOSTERONE 1% GEL
02249499 ANDROGEL PUMP (1.25G/DOSE) TESTOSTERONE 1% GEL

I'm wondering how much blood levels fluctuate hourly after application?

Just curious if its really high shortly after you put it on and tapers off or is it a steady level? If it is high after initial application and you sweated a lot, I'm wondering if thats where your high testosterone level came from?

I'm thinking Androgel will be a discontinued product in the future. My endo told me he won't prescribe it for all the reasons that are continually brought up on here. My local GP is clueless to HRT and he thinks androgel is great, but he knows nothing about it. Another local doctor here told me its garbage.

For what its worth I'm positive I was on the 2.5 gram packets.

I recall reading about a guy who was prescribed androgel and he would continually apply moisturizer on the androgel after he applied it to his skin. He got really good results from doing this he said.

I'm wondering how much blood levels fluctuate hourly after application?

Just curious if its really high shortly after you put it on and tapers off or is it a steady level? If it is high after initial application and you sweated a lot, I'm wondering if thats where your high testosterone level came from?

I'm thinking Androgel will be a discontinued product in the future. My endo told me he won't prescribe it for all the reasons that are continually brought up on here. My local GP is clueless to HRT and he thinks androgel is great, but he knows nothing about it. Another local doctor here told me its garbage.

For what its worth I'm positive I was on the 2.5 gram packets.

I recall reading about a guy who was prescribed androgel and he would continually apply moisturizer on the androgel after he applied it to his skin. He got really good results from doing this he said.
a friend gave me a couple hundred packs because it fluctuates too much and he said it was useless. @animal-inside he also said that moisturizing afterward worked better, but still not as well as inject.

I was involved, in a very minor level, with the development of one of these products. I can't/won't say too much because of an nda but I can say things in general terms. The truth of the matter is that (at least as of a few years ago) the 1/2 life and conversion rates in humans of any transdermal products are extremely hard to predict, it's basically a crap shoot. However I do believe these are the "highest" results I have seen from androgel.

So many variables at play, differences in each individual's skin alone can make a huge difference as well as which part of the body it is applies to. For example if you put it on your scrotum to increase the rate of conversion to dht that would affect the total and free test results. @animal-inside mentions some other factors of influence, they are essentially endless.

Post #48 by @Bagua is a good illustration of this randomness of results, It appears to be from an official source of some manufacturer or science group but if you try to consolidate all the numbers they present (some with statistically very wide ranges ) none of it adds up. I brought this up during a few meetings and questioned the ethics of releasing the numbers that were presented to the public, it was easy to see that my thoughts were not appreciated by the higher ups. Eventually I was told my services were no longer required. ;)

Sidebar :

Further muddling of the waters for us meatheads - Once again @musclememory 's post brings up the subject of 1/2 lives, it always seems hard to discuss on the boards and most of the time the term used is simply "half life" but it is important to note that without a qualifier that term usually is assumed to have a meaning something along the lines of -"the amount of time required for a specific property of a substance to decrease by half" .

It seems most of our bro discussions use this and the info we commonly receive to make our decisions ie If I take a shot of 100 mg of Test, after one "half-life" I will have 50 mg left because half of it has been eliminated, hence the more correct term "elimination half-life"

Here is the problem - "Elimination half life" is based on the administration of one dose of a compound. In our world most drugs are cycled for a period of some weeks or more so how important is elimination half-life? IMO "terminal half-life" is what needs to be considered. Terminal 1/2 life is defined as "Terminal plasma half-life is the time required to divide the plasma concentration by two after reaching pseudo-equilibrium, and not the time required to eliminate half the administered dose. "

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15601438 -
Terminal plasma half-life is the time required to divide the plasma concentration by two after reaching pseudo-equilibrium, and not the time required to eliminate half the administered dose. When the process of absorption is not a limiting factor, half-life is a hybrid parameter controlled by plasma clearance and extent of distribution. In contrast, when the process of absorption is a limiting factor, the terminal half-life reflects rate and extent of absorption and not the elimination process (flip-flop pharmacokinetics). The terminal half-life is especially relevant to multiple dosing regimens, because it controls the degree of drug accumulation, concentration fluctuations and the time taken to reach equilibrium.

I was involved, in a very minor level, with the development of one of these products. I can't/won't say too much because of an nda but I can say things in general terms. The truth of the matter is that (at least as of a few years ago) the 1/2 life and conversion rates in humans of any transdermal products are extremely hard to predict, it's basically a crap shoot. However I do believe these are the "highest" results I have seen from androgel.

So many variables at play, differences in each individual's skin alone can make a huge difference as well as which part of the body it is applies to. For example if you put it on your scrotum to increase the rate of conversion to dht that would affect the total and free test results. @animal-inside mentions some other factors of influence, they are essentially endless.

Post #48 by @Bagua is a good illustration of this randomness of results, It appears to be from an official source of some manufacturer or science group but if you try to consolidate all the numbers they present (some with statistically very wide ranges ) none of it adds up. I brought this up during a few meetings and questioned the ethics of releasing the numbers that were presented to the public, it was easy to see that my thoughts were not appreciated by the higher ups. Eventually I was told my services were no longer required. ;)

Sidebar :

Further muddling of the waters for us meatheads - Once again @musclememory 's post brings up the subject of 1/2 lives, it always seems hard to discuss on the boards and most of the time the term used is simply "half life" but it is important to note that without a qualifier that term usually is assumed to have a meaning something along the lines of -"the amount of time required for a specific property of a substance to decrease by half" .

It seems most of our bro discussions use this and the info we commonly receive to make our decisions ie If I take a shot of 100 mg of Test, after one "half-life" I will have 50 mg left because half of it has been eliminated, hence the more correct term "elimination half-life"

Here is the problem - "Elimination half life" is based on the administration of one dose of a compound. In our world most drugs are cycled for a period of some weeks or more so how important is elimination half-life? IMO "terminal half-life" is what needs to be considered. Terminal 1/2 life is defined as "Terminal plasma half-life is the time required to divide the plasma concentration by two after reaching pseudo-equilibrium, and not the time required to eliminate half the administered dose. "

Terminal plasma half-life is the time required to divide the plasma concentration by two after reaching pseudo-equilibrium, and not the time required to eliminate half the administered dose. When the process of absorption is not a limiting factor, half-life is a hybrid parameter controlled by plasma clearance and extent of distribution. In contrast, when the process of absorption is a limiting factor, the terminal half-life reflects rate and extent of absorption and not the elimination process (flip-flop pharmacokinetics). The terminal half-life is especially relevant to multiple dosing regimens, because it controls the degree of drug accumulation, concentration fluctuations and the time taken to reach equilibrium.

So now that you completely confused me, lol, what would be the terminal half life if I had injected testerstone ethnate already for 8 weeks at 500 mg once a week on Monday?

Sidebar :

Very good info...

Are you allowed to disclose the terminal plasma half life of andro gel?

Guessing from what you said, there are probably so many variables which contribute to andro gel's terminal half life that its difficult to give us a rough number.

So now that you completely confused me, lol, what would be the terminal half life if I had injected testerstone ethnate already for 8 weeks at 500 mg once a week on Monday?

1- This is where the arguments start :) . I have no interest whatsoever in argueing back and forth but I will answer. My answer is based on the science as I interpret it and backed up by many real life bloodwork results from multiple subjects including myself.

2- Hopefully it is obvious that even with injectables there are still plenty of variables at play, notably the differences in conversion rates between individuals. The majority of men IME will fit the model very closely, I personally fit it pretty much exactly, I have not been shy about bragging about nailing my TRT target of exactly 700ng/dl more than once but your mileage may vary.

3- 4.5 days. Meaning the 24hrs after the last shot I would expect a peak of 6490ng/dl and 4.5 days later a measurement of 3245ng/dl plasma level from a blood test.

Very good info...

Are you allowed to disclose the terminal plasma half life of andro gel?

Guessing from what you said, there are probably so many variables which contribute to andro gel's terminal half life that its difficult to give us a rough number.

Bingo. Unfortunately. Even the manufactures cannot provide an answer to this question with any consistency although this has not stopped them from publishing some. (Despite my ill fated personal little crusade for honesty and accountability lol). I have never seen any consistent results from academic studies either but I sure would welcome if any members have some to share - It bears repeating that I am only speaking from my personal experience and the info I have come across.

Bingo. Unfortunately. Even the manufactures cannot provide an answer to this question with any consistency although this has not stopped them from publishing some. (Despite my ill fated personal little crusade for honesty and accountability lol). I have never seen any consistent results from academic studies either but I sure would welcome if any members have some to share - It bears repeating that I am only speaking from my personal experience and the info I have come across.

True, but the doctors I've come across who have experience and knowledge with HRT say the same things.. Androgel is not a good product. Those doctors didn't tell me why they don't like it, but I'm sure its the same reasons that are continually repeated here.