Donate blood dumbasses

100% agree with this, I'm fucking terrified of it though. no problem putting things in me, it's watching them go out for some reason. I've told myself I will for sure this year, it's especially important for those on TRT for life.
You'll feel great after donating, but if you are prone to low iron or low ferritin you may want to make sure those levels are high enough first.

You'll feel great after donating, but if you are prone to low iron or low ferritin you may want to make sure those levels are high enough first.
yes.. I feel I don't have to donate as often because I do have lower iron levels (don't eat red meat). I recognize the benefits, I can't explain the "fear'.

100% agree with this, I'm fucking terrified of it though. no problem putting things in me, it's watching them go out for some reason. I've told myself I will for sure this year, it's especially important for those on TRT for life.
Yeah, I get that. You just need to assure yourself that they do this all the time and it’s routine nd nothing will happen.
I have always been the type to force myself to do things I’m uncomfortable with. I feel as though it is personal growth to overcome fears.

Yeah, I get that. You just need to assure yourself that they do this all the time and it’s routine nd nothing will happen.
I have always been the type to force myself to do things I’m uncomfortable with. I feel as though it is personal growth to overcome fears.
ya... I mean I'm blowing it out of proportion a bit.. not like i'm going to start crying or cause a scene. I just really fucking hate it. Injecting was tough at first too but I got used to it. I'm relieved it only took 8 minutes for you, when you google it it says 45-60 minutes. that's a long fucking time for me to sit still even without giving blood.

ya... I mean I'm blowing it out of proportion a bit.. not like i'm going to start crying or cause a scene. I just really fucking hate it. Injecting was tough at first too but I got used to it. I'm relieved it only took 8 minutes for you, when you google it it says 45-60 minutes. that's a long fucking time for me to sit still even without giving blood.
The whole process from start to finish, including answering questions and waiting for your turn is 45 to an hour.
ive donated in 6 min before but I was more hydrated.

I used to hate injecting, now I enjoy it, lol.

Could you still donate blood if you’re on meds? I’ve been on accutane for years and if a pregnant woman gets my blood her fetus will be at risk. I always thought even gear users shouldn’t but I have no idea of the tests they do before storing blood. If anyone knows, I’d love to get educated.

Could you still donate blood if you’re on meds? I’ve been on accutane for years and if a pregnant woman gets my blood her fetus will be at risk. I always thought even gear users shouldn’t but I have no idea of the tests they do before storing blood. If anyone knows, I’d love to get educated.
No, that's one of the drugs they reference in the questionnaire. Anything hormonal restricts you from donating, unless you've been off the medication for at least the minimum allowable period. And, you are correct that is the danger. Steroids don't matter. I don't quite know why, but take an AI, you must be off of that for (I believe) it is a minimum of 48hrs. I mentioned this in a previous post in this thread.

If you have any doubts at all I recommend contacting Canadian Blood Services directly. They will inform you on which medications need to be stopped and for how long prior to donating.

No, that's one of the drugs they reference in the questionnaire. Anything hormonal restricts you from donating, unless you've been off the medication for at least the minimum allowable period. And, you are correct that is the danger. Steroids don't matter. I don't quite know why, but take an AI, you must be off of that for (I believe) it is a minimum of 48hrs. I mentioned this in a previous post in this thread.

If you have any doubts at all I recommend contacting Canadian Blood Services directly. They will inform you on which medications need to be stopped and for how long prior to donating.
Thank you for your detailed response brother.

Im the same way. I saw the color of the needle and im thinking I never saw that one before..lol.. I just look the other way
lmao wellll ya know funny thing with that big ol needle it took 3 nurse to try and hit the prominate vein and they quated we hate guys like you that work out lol.So they try the next arm bam no issues but after donation when the needle was pulled and a compressed applied she peaked again after a minute and it was still flowing out she looked a bit concerned and applied pressure for a few min, then all good.IM due to go back this week.

I had taken adex the day before. I’m thinking that’s what got me the fake syphilis reactive on the reactive test.
Stupid on my part if true, now it will be a pain for me to reduce my hemocrit.

lmao wellll ya know funny thing with that big ol needle it took 3 nurse to try and hit the prominate vein and they quated we hate guys like you that work out lol.So they try the next arm bam no issues but after donation when the needle was pulled and a compressed applied she peaked again after a minute and it was still flowing out she looked a bit concerned and applied pressure for a few min, then all good.IM due to go back this week.
It’s a 16 gauge, I asked.

I had taken adex the day before. I’m thinking that’s what got me the fake syphilis reactive on the reactive test.
Stupid on my part if true, now it will be a pain for me to reduce my hemocrit.
Can you not do a blood test to confirm you don't have syphilis, and simply have your doctor submit that info? I have to have my doctor submit a document about my medical history to be able to donate.

Can you not do a blood test to confirm you don't have syphilis, and simply have your doctor submit that info? I have to have my doctor submit a document about my medical history to be able to donate.
They did 2 separate tests that confirmed I don’t have it. Even in their letter they stated I do not have it.
No way I could have got it, it would have to be 25 years in dormancy, lol.

No the federal govt will not let someone like what happened to me donate anymore.
They are hoping they can get it changed because there is a huge need for blood right now.

Other people who have had false reactive tests for aids, herpes and so on are now allowed.

They did 2 separate tests that confirmed I don’t have it. Even in their letter they stated I do not have it.
No way I could have got it, it would have to be 25 years in dormancy, lol.

No the federal govt will not let someone like what happened to me donate anymore.
They are hoping they can get it changed because there is a huge need for blood right now.

Other people who have had false reactive tests for aids, herpes and so on are now allowed.
The federal government? CBS is a not for profit independent of the government. They became a not for profit after the tainted blood scandal. That's odd that after a confirmation that they won't accept it. My uncle can't donate b/c my aunt had hepatitis. Even though he's always tested negative for the virus he can never donate. I get that, but in your case I don't understand, aside from the fact that they are extremely cautious, paranoid even due to the impact of past events. It's a shame that one false reading would have a lasting impact. Last I checked syphilis isn't one of those diseases that lies dormant. lol

Anyhow wasn’t sure where to put this. But since high hemocrit is caused by gear thought this would be a good spot.

So last 2-3 weeks I had felt pretty blah, gasping for breath like I was too full all the time, tired and so on. I had noticed my vision wasn’t the best, but I’m getting more blind as I get older, so I ignored it.
Anyhow I had not donated blood for almost 2 years.

So I was not feeling right, I was going to drop my gear back to trt, but thought, man I need to donate, wonder if that will help. Figured it would t hurt, so I booked an appointment.
I figured if that didn’t help, I may need to see a doctor, a blockage maybe? I did do hard cardio and was fine so I didn’t think it was that.

After I donated, I started to feel better.
Next day, a million bucks, breathing returned to normal, I feel great again.

So I have an oxygen meter. Before donating I was 93-95%. Would go down to 90% while doing cardio.
After donating the next day, 95-100% 98% while doing cardio.

I’m thinking maybe blood gases have a harder time diffusing when you blood is thicker.

Btw t also took 10 minutes for me to donate, I’m normally around 6-8.

So I am going to make sure I donate 3 times a year to be safe.

So if you havnt donated lately, get your butt down there. I can’t see thick blood being good for the organs, lol.
EVERYONE NEEDS TO CALL IF THEY ARE TAKING ISOTRETINOIN (ACCUTANE) AFTER THEY DONATE TO TELL THEM THEY JUST STARTED IT SO TO THROW OUT THEIR BLOOD. They will gladly do it. They do not check medical records apparently and isotretinoin isn't screened and even the platelets might cause birth defects or it definitely does.

I am up to a phlebotomy every 2 weeks now. My numbers are climbing down. Once i get back in range i should be good monthly or every 2 months. I am only at 185 right now, which is out of range by 15 points, better than the 200 i was sporting for awhile.
Man the good feeling one gets the second day after donating is great. I get a wee bit dizzy the next day. Hydrate up and feel great.

I just donated today. Bleed time was 6 minutes. The nurse said that is fast, so I asked her what the quickest bleed time she ever seen. She said 4:10. The guy just finished working out, drank a ton of water prior and squeezed his hand like a crazy man.

EVERYONE NEEDS TO CALL IF THEY ARE TAKING ISOTRETINOIN (ACCUTANE) AFTER THEY DONATE TO TELL THEM THEY JUST STARTED IT SO TO THROW OUT THEIR BLOOD. They will gladly do it. They do not check medical records apparently and isotretinoin isn't screened and even the platelets might cause birth defects or it definitely does.
Not sure where this came from. I don’t take accutane
Btw, it’s a question on the list.

Last edited: