Does anyone do Farmers Walks?

PGM

Trusted Member
Farmers walks are so simple, so friggen hard, hit so many muscles ... especially traps, core forearms, grip, quads, glutes and thighs. I always wonder why people never did these. Especially at the gym, there are dumbbells there of all size just grab a couple and go. This was my closing exercise at goodlife every time I train for about 6 months, not sure why I stopped. Three times around the small track/walkway they had at the gym. I usually used the 100's and I had chalk so I did not have to use straps. Hard as hell. I would be sweatin and wobbling to get full around the first time. 5 minutes break. Go around again, half to put down the dumbbells twice to get around. 5 min break. Put the dumbbells down 3 times this time and when I got back to the start I was wrecked. forearms hurt, traps hurt, legs wear all blown up and sore. man was it great.

I guess the answer is no lol. You should try them they will definitely pack on the size. I know they are hard but that is what causes muscle growth and strength.

Last edited:
So I guess another silly question is 'how often does everyone train outside'?

Farmers walks are my go to when I lift outside 400 lbs for 40ft 30 second breather then repeat until failure. Tire flips tho... that’s where it’s at! I picked up 2 6ft lengths of Quarter inch I beam, bolted handles on them and cut up one of my bars to add plates to both ends. Hopefully bolting an adjustable yoke to it when i can lift heavy again.

Regards
SonOfOdin

Okay, so now that I read what a farmer’s walk is, I’m chuckling. I thought you all were enjoying a leisurely stroll through some farmer’s market places. I love those 🙂 However, just not so huh?! 😄 I know I saw people going by me in the gym back this passed February, and I’m thinking, “Frig, they’re making me uncomfortable up and down like that walking by in a three foot aisle”. Looked awkward. Nothing I was accustomed to seeing. Was kind of new age to me. 😆. and I’m not really that old. I was taught to train by an old boy. Lol. Knows his stuff big time. Back in the day, the basics did us very well. Then I hear about people using apps for this and apps for that. Oiyyy! Anyway, I got to thinking tonight, my brother and I (country kids with dirt bikes and horses, no gyms for miles and miles) used to take pieces of poplar of all things, about 10 feet long, and add a tire with rims on each end ( what a bow I got on that piece of wood 😄) and try shoulder presses and whatever it is we could manoeuvre. We’d play with this contraption we created in our minds for hours on end, thinking that strong men used to use this. Day after day we’d amuse and impress each other in between other fun creative things. Good on you guys with the “farmer’s walk”! I get it now 😆

Did you ever get your Trap bar?

I use mine for doing farmer walks.
Actually I did ... it came in a 3 days ago. I started going farmer walks daily since then. And here it is. about 130 on there, the bar is friggin heavy.

Attachments

• trapbar.jpg
    trapbar.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Farmers walks are my go to when I lift outside 400 lbs for 40ft 30 second breather then repeat until failure. Tire flips tho... that’s where it’s at! I picked up 2 6ft lengths of Quarter inch I beam, bolted handles on them and cut up one of my bars to add plates to both ends. Hopefully bolting an adjustable yoke to it when i can lift heavy again.

Regards
SonOfOdin
I had never got myself a tire, was thinking of it. I have a bicep and pec tear on the left side so on the initial lift was concerned that this would significantly bother it. However I have not looked at the technique close enuff. Was going to get a sled for pushing but we have those at the gym now so don't need to get one of those. The yoke sounds like fun :)

Actually I did ... it came in a 3 days ago. I started going farmer walks daily since then. And here it is. about 130 on there, the bar is friggin heavy.

Yes they are heavy bars, never did weigh mine, but i know it is heavier than an oly bar.

Glad you like it, so many exercises you can use it for, i really love doing shoulder work with it.

Every grocery day I do farmer walks. One load if possible, lol,

Honestly every day at work, I carry 60-80 pound boxes, so kinda like farmer walks. I bet I carry 20-30 of them around the shop every day.

Traditionally Farmers Walks were longer than 40 feet.More like 400 feet.Easier to maintain correct posture with a relatively light weight.

Reactions: PGM
How do you feel about the effect on your triceps?

I used to do them on leg days, always felt good and kicked my ass when I did them heavy.

I really need to add them back into my routine and start doing them consistently

How do you feel about the effect on your triceps?
Not much impact on the triceps I found, grip the most, traps second, core a close third and then legs. Easy compound movement, but you can make it very hard to execute.

I used to do them on leg days, always felt good and kicked my ass when I did them heavy.

I really need to add them back into my routine and start doing them consistently
They do give you a good ass kicking

Everyday I work im doing farmer walks, constantly picking heaving shit up and walking around. Do i do them in a gym? No. But I will do shrugs.

Farmers Walk has to be done with the hands independent and proper form maintained.No slouching,chin tucked,shoulders back.