Dead Lifts Risk VS Reward

I don't think any movement throws as much mass on your posterior than a heavy hip-hinge, but if you keep injuring yourself then that doesn't matter. I do not pull from the floor anymore for that reason, but I have had good results so far with Romanian deadlifts with a pause at the bottom (only going as far down my shin as my flexibility allows).
What ever works for you brother and I love Romanian Deads, helped my deadlifting strength so much

And the lift was probably 1000%safer!

deadlifts get a ton of bad press and I’m not so sure it’s to be warranted. But you have to do them properly. I see a lot of folks deadlift and I see a ton or easily correctable mistakes that could be fixed to not only improve performance but to make it safer. Not being tight and set is such a huge risk factor and sets the lifter up for failure (be it a miss or an injury) every single time.

don’t get me wrong…. I’m not a good deadlifted at all! But if people would pay attention to some very simple directions I think many would be more successful and happy with this lift. Because it’s a damn good one to be doing.
your a smart ugly newf at that lol. Deads get a bad rep cause they are not done correctly... with very good form. One of the biggest principles of powerlifting is always get as tight as you can before any attempt at a lift, cuz when if your as tight as you can be it is very hard to get u bent out of shape

Ugh yeah high reps like that recipe for injury over injury. Low rep if you want volume more weight/intensity but more sets.

It's just one of those things when you get heavier like that it's not worth it and pretty much impossible to continue on repping over and over big weights without getting fucked up.

Like you graduated just enjoy lifting heavier less times at once. Your CNS will thank you as well. Leave that amrap deadlift shit to 150lb crossfitters and people building noob gains.

Even work in strength ranges.. Like set it up by weeks.
3x8's week 3x5's 3x2's
5's / 3's / 1's etc.
Use RPES percents whatever you want to keep it fresh and progression in each range. Proceed on if you hit all the reps or feel good and hit higher numbers on the progressive weeks.

but you better have the self awareness to know the next rep ain't gonna be good throwing around 350 for 10 before it happens if you're planning on continuing to have a back lol.

Like wtf road to 600 stack some plates on that shit and let's go here.
I totally agree with everything you just said and then some

Reactions: 3ml
your a smart ugly newf at that lol. Deads get a bad rep cause they are not done correctly... with very good form. One of the biggest principles of powerlifting is always get as tight as you can before any attempt at a lift, cuz when if your as tight as you can be it is very hard to get u bent out of shape
I really like that last sentence. Paints it very well for folks to understand.

I totally agree with everything you just said and then some
Hahaha likewise brother. Very good cues in that big message super good.

People watch people deadlifting 800 lbs and think that's all fluff shit they are doing. Flexing and setting up their arms out straight. Like it's real stuff haha.

Strength looks like a savage sport for a reason.

Reactions: PGM
Hahaha likewise brother. Very good cues in that big message super good.

People watch people deadlifting 800 lbs and think that's all fluff shit they are doing. Flexing and setting up their arms out straight. Like it's real stuff haha.

Strength looks like a savage sport for a reason.
lifting deads heavy is so taxing on your cns that your form breaks down pretty quick and when you are no longer able to keep your ass, down chest up, and pull with you gluts and quads with you core and back tight ( your back rounds and ass pops up first) then your in for trouble and potentially a lot of pain.

Im 47and deadlift once a week for three years 5 working set @ 350 for 10 and have pulled my back 6 times in that time and it usally takes a week to recover, most recently on Tuesday.
I am contemplating stopping deadlifts because of this and was wondering how many of you ever ger injured doing deadlifts and is it worth the risk vs reward??
I haven't read the rest of the replies, but I had a fusion of two lower vertebrae, and I have had a couple other surgeries which had contributed to imbalances. I found that returning to deads was the single best thing for my core, lower back, and spine health. I don't go heavy, but my form is impeccable. I reset between every rep. There's no momentum lifting/taking it on the bounce. Full stop, ensure core is turned on & tight; feet, legs, hips all turned on, shoulders and upper back is turned on and tight (your grip torques against the bar from your shoulders and back), head down, back straight, and push through the legs. (I know you know how to deadlift, but this is my process). It's tedious, but it prevents injuries. I'm not suggesting that your form isn't correct, but flare ups/injuries happen for a reason. As one of my legs/hips is weaker than the other I ensure that my drive is focused on the weaker leg, so as it tires I'm not distributing the weight to my opposite side, which always results in a flare up. Do you have any imbalances?

One other thing that has worked for me is adjusting weight and reps. I generally go for higher reps lower weight. Again, resist any urge to 'rep it out' as that will be sloppy and cause issues. The majority of the time I'm doing a min of 12-15, then every 2-3 weeks I'll do sets of 5-6. I also alternate using the trap bar, but if you find the load too much due to the higher start, flip the trap bar over and you are instantly 4-5" lower, but with the same grip, which tends to be more spine-friendly.

I also do deads twice/wk. Once reg grip, the other with a trap bar. I listen to my body and never overload it. If we had a cable squat platform I would do those, but any squats I do are very light. They overload my spine far more easily than deads. I do half the weight on squats.

The best advice I can give you is to slow your movement down, reset between every rep, and alternate between different deadlift movements. Doing so will force you to drop weight, as you focus on the finer nuances of the movement. If your core isn't burnt out after deads your core isn't being taxed, or you already have a super strong core, which would lead me to believe your form is off. I don't believe you should shorten the range of the movement, as that will only enable you to continue to lift heavy.

Do you do hip thrusts? What sort of hip adductor/abductor exercises? Any issues with squats? From my experience deads are the single best movement, and if you're injuring yourself the first step is to slow the movement down and drop the weight, focus on supporting exercises, and slowly rebuild. I'm also late 40s, and the only times deads cause me issue is when I neglect to follow my own advice, lol.

If your back rounds or your head comes up, which means your back will round that is likely your problem. That core should be fully supporting your spine, keeping it rock hard and tight, and your back should stay flat all the way through the movement. I also don't lean back, I engage my glutes, which brings me to an upright position, but I don't ascribe to leaning back as some do. I keep the tension on all the time, that keeps everything engaged.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I don't think any movement throws as much mass on your posterior than a heavy hip-hinge, but if you keep injuring yourself then that doesn't matter. I do not pull from the floor anymore for that reason, but I have had good results so far with Romanian deadlifts with a pause at the bottom (only going as far down my shin as my flexibility allows).
For anyone who has back issues I would avoid pauses, as these are incredibly taxing to the posterior chain. If you're referring to pause-deads then I have to disagree, however, I come from a position of having serious injuries and surgery. My perspective, based on strength coaching and a sports chiro is to avoid pause reps on deads. I've tried them and they caused me a shit ton of pain. But, my situation is def not the same as the average lifter.

Last edited:

resilient1 I do squats twice a week and a lot of core work.. The problem is my reset which I will work on alot..​

It takes getting used to, and having been out of the gym for a while now I know that when I return it will be slow and tedious until I'm sure my technique is perfect, which mainly means my core has strengthened. I've been keeping active, but deads work my core unlike anything else. You will immediately notice how much more taxing your lift becomes, but you will be far better for it. If done properly, and without compromise I'm certain you will avoid injury. Keep that core rigid and supporting your spine.

Be sure to update.