Dead Lifts Risk VS Reward

I

Im not trying to argue anything but it’s fact that everyone is built differently it’s not always about form some exercises aren’t right for certain ppl where other Ppl the same stuff wouldn’t bother them
So first it was age now its being built differently..

I agree some people need to adapt exercises. Doesn't take away from my point that many people ego lift and lift with poor form. You seem to think different though and that you have optimal form which isn't usually the case

I don't think any movement throws as much mass on your posterior than a heavy hip-hinge, but if you keep injuring yourself then that doesn't matter. I do not pull from the floor anymore for that reason, but I have had good results so far with Romanian deadlifts with a pause at the bottom (only going as far down my shin as my flexibility allows).

you cant keep training and injuring. you have to change things up, not necessarily give things up. when i get injured i start over at point zero. i start doing easy weight of 21rep. i work on form, studying where i might have weakness and working on endurance strength and hopefully it will carry into lower rep/ heavier weight. now im in my 50s i just stick to 21s for different kinds of dl and dont do less than 12 reps for squat too often. i work on different challenges to keep things interesting

So first it was age now its being built differently..
I agree some people need to adapt exercises. Doesn't take away from my point that many people ego lift and lift with poor form. You seem to think different though and that you have optimal form which isn't usually the case
Yes I don’t know you or how your built so it’s a guess At best but definitely it’s not just form certain exercises don’t agree with certain ppl so ya. Not sure why you have some issue with that. But it’s definitely fact and there’s a bunch of members on here saying deadlifts bother them as well with the bar and I doubt they’re new to training. But I also agree some ppl are idiots and ego lift instead of training for optimal gains

I managed to do deads until my first knee replacement. They seemed to not bother my knees in the least. I stopped for obvious reasons after my first knee replacement. If you can do them, go for it—one of the lifts I miss.

I stopped at the advice of a surgeon who said I would need a neck/back surgery if I continued. I still do a pseudo deadlift/squat. I hold the heaviest dumbbells I have and use Rogue bands to add resistance (working out at home). Not really a squat and not really a deadlift but it hits my legs and back. I can go parallel but no longer go any deeper.
I agree with @The Old Guy - one of the best pure power developers but as I age I look at risk vs. reward. I know what a back injury feels like when your muscles spasms all the way around your ribs and you can not get comfortable unless you take strong pain meds that make you a drooling fool. I prefer chins, rows, 1 arm rows, even upright rows and shrugs to hit the traps.

If I could do it once a week I would but I gave it up (sort of). Just modified how I do it with the help of my physiotherapist.
I have a question. What if I’m a drooling fool with no pain meds. 🤦‍♂️

Weight and reps have increased year to year, but now I just keep to that weight and do a comforbale 10 reps.
I think my reset is the problem.
Each deadlift should not be part of a set but an individual lift. No momentum. There should be lots of tension on the hams and try thinking about pushing the floor down rather then the weight up. Sounds funny but you will know what I mean when you feel it.

Also video your lift and ensure your form is 100%

Each deadlift should not be part of a set but an individual lift. No momentum. There should be lots of tension on the hams and try thinking about pushing the floor down rather then the weight up. Sounds funny but you will know what I mean when you feel it.

This is def true

Reactions: PGM

I know exactly what u mean it sounds wrong to to put the bar down and reset as your taking all the tension away but that’s how it’s done correctly

Reactions: 3ml
I quit deads, not an option for me anymore due to my lower back, or really just not worth the risk.

I do Romanian Deadlifts on leg day at lighter weight, with my belt on, just to get some action in the area without causing any damage.

I can still deadlift a decent amount of weight but the next day I'm basically crippled with my sciatic nerve messed up for a week or two. It's just not worth it anymore.

Squats will be next. I really love doing them but I'm already cutting down on weight and frequency, favoring other exercises that are easier on my knees.

I need to focus more on longevity so I can keep this up for another 20+ years

Good chance there is few problems here, and I don't think it is the deadlift exercise itself.

Flexibility and form would be the first that come to mind. How much time do you devote to stretching and core work? At that age it should be close to the same amount as strength training. Also form is critical. You may argue that your form is good and that will bring me into my next point.

10 reps for a deadlift? Never, I won't even do that many with one plate on the bar. IMO deadlifts are low rep range movements. It is so critical to do each and every rep perfect. You need to get the torque into your knees, pull the slack out of the bar and have your core tight. If you are doing high reps with a moderately high weight like that I would bet money your 7,8,9,10 reps don't look anything like the first one.

Ugh yeah high reps like that recipe for injury over injury. Low rep if you want volume more weight/intensity but more sets.

It's just one of those things when you get heavier like that it's not worth it and pretty much impossible to continue on repping over and over big weights without getting fucked up.

Like you graduated just enjoy lifting heavier less times at once. Your CNS will thank you as well. Leave that amrap deadlift shit to 150lb crossfitters and people building noob gains.

Even work in strength ranges.. Like set it up by weeks.
3x8's week 3x5's 3x2's
5's / 3's / 1's etc.
Use RPES percents whatever you want to keep it fresh and progression in each range. Proceed on if you hit all the reps or feel good and hit higher numbers on the progressive weeks.

but you better have the self awareness to know the next rep ain't gonna be good throwing around 350 for 10 before it happens if you're planning on continuing to have a back lol.

Like wtf road to 600 stack some plates on that shit and let's go here.

Last edited:
I use to have serious back issues/pulls/pain when I was involved in TKD and when I started into powerlifting a began doing heavy back quad and thigh work and the back issues went away.

I learned very early in order to not break something it has to be tight and hard so that is what I did with my body prior to a deadlift. I learned proper techniques for squat, box squat, bent knee good mornings, and deadlifts. The first thing in the set up for a deadlift I always made sure I had long arms, was a little back on my heals, head and chest up. Once I was good with my set up position... I would pre-squeeze (tighten) all my main muscles involves in the move ( glutes, lower back, abs, obliques, thighs, uppers back) took a big breathe and hold then pushed through the floor using my quads and glutes mainly keeping core tight all the way through, to the knees then push shoulders back and hips through.

I never got hurt on a pull as far as I can remember ( and I was always training in the 400 to high 500 range), the pre-squeeze/tightening of the movers protected my lower back from moving out of place, and I finally had no back pain like I did in TKD.

Another thing that saved me I never did a lot of reps in a set of deadlifts, and I always reset and started the deadlift from scratch, I never bounced.

Was working with a guy on his deadlift and he could not get past 3 plates a side, his form looked real good and I asked him if he was pre-squeezing his muscles before he lifted and he said no. That day I swear he went from a 315 deadlift to a 495 just from the setup and pre-squeeze. The guy could not believe it. He told me ... the weight felt so much lighter.

Edited portion: This guy who is still a very good friend of mine who went from 315 to 495 in I swear (365, 405.455,495) 4 lifts from 315 could not believe it. When I looked at his technique and how quick the bar went up, I was confident he could go up to the higher weights)... let me tell you it was a very Good day for the both of us. Scott's wife thought I was crazier than hell along with her husband ( but we knew she liked the strength... grrrr side of it, (wink wink say no more))

Last edited:
I use to have serious back issues/pulls/pain when I was involved in TKD and when I started into powerlifting a began doing heavy back quad and thigh work and the back issues went away.

I learned very early in order to not break something it has to be tight and hard so that is what I did with my body prior to a deadlift. I learned proper techniques for squat, box squat, bent knee good mornings, and deadlifts. The first thing in the set up for a deadlift I always made sure I had long arms, was a little back on my heals, head and chest up. Once I was good with my set up position... I would pre-squeeze (tighten) all my main muscles involves in the move ( glutes, lower back, abs, obliques, thighs, uppers back) took a big breathe and hold then pushed through the floor using my quads and glutes mainly keeping core tight all the way through, to the knees then push shoulders back and hips through.

I never got hurt on a pull as far as I can remember ( and I was always training in the 400 to high 500 range), the pre-squeeze/tightening of the movers protected my lower back from moving out of place, and I finally had no back pain like I did in TKD.

Another thing that saved me I never did a lot of reps in a set of deadlifts, and I always reset and started the deadlift from scratch, I never bounced.

Was working with a guy on his deadlift and he could not get past 3 plates a side, his form looked real good and I asked him if he was pre-squeezing his muscles before he lifted and he said no. That day I swear he went from a 315 deadlift to a 495 just from the setup and pre-squeeze. The guy could not believe it. He told me ... the weight felt so much lighter.
And the lift was probably 1000%safer!

deadlifts get a ton of bad press and I’m not so sure it’s to be warranted. But you have to do them properly. I see a lot of folks deadlift and I see a ton or easily correctable mistakes that could be fixed to not only improve performance but to make it safer. Not being tight and set is such a huge risk factor and sets the lifter up for failure (be it a miss or an injury) every single time.

don’t get me wrong…. I’m not a good deadlifted at all! But if people would pay attention to some very simple directions I think many would be more successful and happy with this lift. Because it’s a damn good one to be doing.

Hex bar for sure.

I think deadlifts are really one of the best strength building exercises. Only thing I think compares are heavy farmers walks.
oh and you forgot draggin heavy shit around with you to... like large tires... big women (you get the picture)

Reactions: 3ml