Choosing Perfect Family & Guard Dog

None of us have owned.
I basically want the dog to guard and protect. At the same time, and even more-so, my kids must be 100% safe around the dog. There will be zero tolerance with any neglect and abuse of the dog and there will be zero tolerance of aggression towards the kids. The dog(s) will have a custom built home of 500sqft on the property accessible for him to leave and enter as he pleases. He can come in and out of our house but he can’t stay inside our house.

After doing some comparisons and reading up on them, the Cane Corso stands out the most

I'm not an expert like Mr GR so take it for what it's worth. However, I would classify Corsos as an advanced breed. Obviously any dog can be trained well or poorly and can therefore be as good or bad a choice as another. Honestly though, unless you need protection, I would look closer at the idea of a family dog. They will deter most invaders just by barking. It's just a different mindset and training requirement.

I had a Bullmastiff. She was awesome. Small in comparison to their potential at 120lbs. She sort of didn't understand kids but was always gentle with them. Like others have mentioned, she had a bark that would send anyone running in the opposite direction. Her problem was with other dogs. She chased down sheppards and chomped a few other smaller dogs.

Anyways, here's a quote from the very first site I clicked on. I assume this is the average assessment of corsos.

A Cane Corso is best adopted by a person who is familiar with dog training rather than a first-time owner. Proper training and socialization are essential for all cane corsos. With a natural aversion to strangers and a tendency to be territorial, you must be diligent and consistent while training. This is also crucial because of the dog's giant size; careful attention should be placed upon prevention of jumping, leaning, and leash-pulling. The Cane Corso is intelligent and hard-working, so it should not be difficult for this breed to learn.

Despite its appearance, which some might find intimidating, the Cane Corso can actually be affectionate and gentle. This breed will bond deeply with its family and act as a protector. With proper handling and socialization, the Cane Corso can get along well with children, even forming a close bond. However, children must also be taught how to behave around dogs and never left unsupervised.

A Cane Corso needs a sturdy, high fence when allowed outdoors. The breed has a high prey drive and is prone to chasing and killing small animals such as cats and other dogs. They are territorial and will patrol the fence line, protecting the property from passersby.

Attachments

• Bullmastiff.png
    Bullmastiff.png
    574.3 KB · Views: 5
Just to add... Here is that sites overall assessment of the two breeds.
Check out the Kids part.

Attachments

• Breeds.png
    Breeds.png
    97.1 KB · Views: 11
i think you maybe should look toward an easy to train, easy to keep family friendly dog. a first time dog ownership experience is often different from expectations. you might not even like the burden of ownership. any dog will bark at strangers near the house and be a kids companion. dog training is really owner training. you need to learn to be a master and trainer. difficult to do with a working dog. dogs have behaviors non owners dont understand. they usually try to relate to the dog as they would to a child or human and dont know how to be pack leader. working behaviors are even more problematic for them. usually seen as "bad" behaviors to non dog owners and then the dog is written off as a "bad dog". learn to be a master, then get your guardian. 2 dogs are better anyway. keeps them company. its usually cruel to leave a dog alone.

Guard dog..

Well I have a Rotti and a Alano Español ..
Both dogs takes abuse from our kids . Our Rotti is 3.5 and the Alano is 2.5.
Friend of mine has two mastiffs .

Training is key for dogs .
My two girls are big babies but I know if someone came into the house or attacked my wife , these dogs would kill .

biddies two mastiffs are big lazy babies . Expect lots of drool.

Vet bills aren’t too bad . Finding a good vet is key and educate yourself .
We feed our girls raw . Breeder pretty much enforced it when we got the Alano . Our rotti before we got the other was having some issues with digestion but switched to raw and nothing ever since .
It’s a bit more $$$ but I swear we’re saving with vet bills.

German shepherds are great and I love that breed , but very excitable and needs exercise.

sorry little long winded .. but I’d go with a Rotti

Attachments

• 963F5A4A-00C8-4F1C-9639-96BCB7A41258.jpeg
    963F5A4A-00C8-4F1C-9639-96BCB7A41258.jpeg
    696.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
If you want a dog that you expect to be outside a lot, German Shep not a bad pick. They are extremely loyal. Me personally, I would go with a Rottie, as I had one in the past, and she was an outstanding dog.

None of us have owned.
I basically want the dog to guard and protect. At the same time, and even more-so, my kids must be 100% safe around the dog. There will be zero tolerance with any neglect and abuse of the dog and there will be zero tolerance of aggression towards the kids. The dog(s) will have a custom built home of 500sqft on the property accessible for him to leave and enter as he pleases. He can come in and out of our house but he can’t stay inside our house.

After doing some comparisons and reading up on them, the Cane Corso stands out the most
I don't want to be rude in anyway as that isn't my style but a Cane Corso is an incredibly powerful breed that is not for a novice owner - do not buy one.

Your questions:

For those with knowledge and experience with dogs, especially guard dogs(not based off Google), what is the best all-around guard dog? No such thing, any of the dogs you mention and many more can be excellent protection dogs but you could buy a Bullmastiffe from a wonderful breeder and will never be a protection animal. Dogs are like people and have different personalities.

And it’s for actual guarding the home and family. Objective is to keep safe the family from animal attacks and deter intruder mother fuckers with evil intentions. At the same time the children must be safe around the dog at all times- zero tolerance for incidents or accidents.
If you aren't prepared to take any strong breed to puppy class, then to obedience class, work on strong socialization in different places none of those dogs are good choices. It takes 100's of hours of training to have a safe protection dog, otherwise you are creating a weapon with no safety.

Between a Rottweiler, German Sheppard, Bullmastiff, and Doberman...
All of these dogs can be good guard dogs, protection dogs, and so can Bouviers, Black Russian Terriers, pitbulls, staffies, mixed breeds, etc. Most dogs have the ability but not all, some dogs are more apt to be friendly and others aloof. My Bouvier loves the family, our friends, and all kids but anyone he doesn't know he has been taught to size them up but no biting unless on command. He can sniff, and walk strangers and I just tell people he is protection trained and ignore him and you will be fine. Stare at him and you are challenging him, don't try to pet him until he has determined if you are friend or foe. My first step after puppy class and obedience was teaching him not all strangers are bad which meant 30 minutes of walking around parking lots, with my dog muzzeled so people felt safe, asking if they would help me feed him. He only ate at parking lots and only out of my hand. My wife and I and any kids that would be around hand fed him so he understood food aggression is not acceptable.

- To destroy anyone who sets foot over the fence trying to break into home
All of the dogs mentioned have that capability but this is a fine line. What if a kid scales the fence as a joke, do you want your dog to kill that kid? Without proper training how is the dog supposed to know when to attack and when not to? Basically you are saying anyone who comes over the fence should be destroyed. If they break into your house that is a different story, if someone does my Bouvier will take you down and most likely won't need my help unless there are 3-4 people. I just call the cops and I have signs 'protection dog on duty'.

- Super intimidating. Vicious bark.
Any dog can be taught to bark and be quiet on command. I train mock protection as well - big dog/big bark and even growl but not allowed to bite. Just a deterrent but that takes dozens of hours of work. I say speak and my dog barks until I say quiet. This was easy to teach and fun. This is enough to stop 99% of the world from being a problem.

- Does not bark a lot annoying neighbours
You are asking for way too much - you want a dog that is intimidating with a vicious bark but don't use it unless he/she sees danger. A paper bag can be perceived as danger by a German Shepherd and they lose their mind without training. I think you are asking for way too much unless you are going to be trained to train your dog and that includes your wife and kids. Dogs are pack animals and all those breeds will run the house and will try to be Alpha (at least many will) if they don't have boundaries, rules and consistent leadership from all family members. I have seen way too many families where the dog listens to one person only.

- Extremely gentle around infants, children, and kids
Most dogs are but they need to learn kids are not toys - almost all protection dogs / guard dogs are working dogs and it is in their nature to nip, heard, and control but not if they know the rules. They may love the kids but scare the shit out them every time they run by nipping at their feet for fun. Again, if you don't have experience in teaching this don't buy any of those breeds or you are getting professional help. My Bouvier will let kids ride him like a pony and loves all kids but he is a working/herding dog so he likes to nip at their legs and I had to curb this. I never hit dogs ever - I use my voice and other communication tools. Never punish a dog unless they are caught in the act and I don't mean swat them - voice is enough if they know the pack hierarchy.

- Very obedient
Some dogs are smarter than others, I wanted a Bouvier because they are very smart, were bread to work in two's to protect a flock from wolves and also have a huge head with an inch of muscle on top of their skull to take a kick from a cow. They are rugged and I love my dog but he would run the house if we let him. He can't drag me but I'm 230 lbs, my wife is 110 and he can run with her like a kite behind him if he wants to. We both trained him so he understood he has to listen to both. Working breeds, which are typically protection dogs, are smart and need a job. If you want a protection ornament don't get a dog as they will become destructive. He needs a 45 minute walk a day or 30 minutes of training followed by 15 minutes of play or he will open the cupboards and take out the garbage or just be a clever jerk and open a book and pull out the pages one by one. Dogs need stimulation and are smart creatures but never forget they are still 3 or 4 year old kids for life.

- Very intelligent
All the breeds you mention are and my most intelligent dogs were a rescue border collie mix who I protection trained and my Bouvier. A dog is only going to be as 'human' smart as the time you put into training and bonding with the animal.

- His sole mission: Protect this family.
Most herding/working dogs are naturally protective of their flock.

Can they tell the difference between invited guests/strangers vs those uninvited with wrong intentions?
Yes, if taught. There are vids at the place where I got certified, the master trainer with a scary mask and a baseball bat screaming and looking scary and my dog had to stay in his stand position and do nothing. I would walk over and shake the scary guy's hand, and he would feed my dog a prized possession like liver. Teaching him don't judge by size or look. He was also trained that when someone charged at me, the guy in the full protective gear would be taken down and he would try to rip his arm off.
Even to this day, my buddy is suspicious of strangers but if I talk nice to the person and shake their hand, etc. he knows they are OK. If it changed and the guy tackled me, he would rip his arm off or break his arm but that took hours of training.

Might sound like I am exaggerating but I'm not - if you don't have time for long walks, 15 minutes minimum a day for training, money for classes for socialization and for someone to teach you how to be the leader don't buy any of those dogs.
Seriously - look up on google, "don't buy a bouvier." I love my dog and he would give his life for us but if we didn't have a ton of experience and go to class each week he would probably be put down. When he was a pup he would charge strangers on a leash and grown and bark. It took a lot of time with him but he is perfect now.
With other dogs it doesn't take as much work.

Do not buy a Cane Corso if you haven't owned a dog before. Start with a dog like an Airedale Terrier. Big enough to be a deterrent and can be a protection dog but only 50 pounds. Naturally protective, and very smart. There are a few in our Sunday class and they are great dogs. One is protection trained and can latch on to an arm and good luck getting him off.
I'm not against any dog you mentioned, I am concerned with what you want from them.
Just my opinion - I wish you good luck.
If you want to talk about this please PM me and I will be happy to discuss it further.

take care,
GR

i think you maybe should look toward an easy to train, easy to keep family friendly dog. a first time dog ownership experience is often different from expectations. you might not even like the burden of ownership. any dog will bark at strangers near the house and be a kids companion. dog training is really owner training. you need to learn to be a master and trainer. difficult to do with a working dog. dogs have behaviors non owners dont understand. they usually try to relate to the dog as they would to a child or human and dont know how to be pack leader. working behaviors are even more problematic for them. usually seen as "bad" behaviors to non dog owners and then the dog is written off as a "bad dog". learn to be a master, then get your guardian. 2 dogs are better anyway. keeps them company. its usually cruel to leave a dog alone.
well said - we have two dogs. One 17 lbs and one 125 lbs and when they are apart for a few hours when I take the big guy for his protection training and they see each other, the tails are wagging and they talk to each other. It is adorable and they like each other. They don't fight. We have always had 2 or 3 dogs because they are pack animals and don't like being alone.

I don't want to be rude in anyway as that isn't my style but a Cane Corso is an incredibly powerful breed that is not for a novice owner - do not buy one.

Your questions:

For those with knowledge and experience with dogs, especially guard dogs(not based off Google), what is the best all-around guard dog? No such thing, any of the dogs you mention and many more can be excellent protection dogs but you could buy a Bullmastiffe from a wonderful breeder and will never be a protection animal. Dogs are like people and have different personalities.

And it’s for actual guarding the home and family. Objective is to keep safe the family from animal attacks and deter intruder mother fuckers with evil intentions. At the same time the children must be safe around the dog at all times- zero tolerance for incidents or accidents.
If you aren't prepared to take any strong breed to puppy class, then to obedience class, work on strong socialization in different places none of those dogs are good choices. It takes 100's of hours of training to have a safe protection dog, otherwise you are creating a weapon with no safety.

Between a Rottweiler, German Sheppard, Bullmastiff, and Doberman...
All of these dogs can be good guard dogs, protection dogs, and so can Bouviers, Black Russian Terriers, pitbulls, staffies, mixed breeds, etc. Most dogs have the ability but not all, some dogs are more apt to be friendly and others aloof. My Bouvier loves the family, our friends, and all kids but anyone he doesn't know he has been taught to size them up but no biting unless on command. He can sniff, and walk strangers and I just tell people he is protection trained and ignore him and you will be fine. Stare at him and you are challenging him, don't try to pet him until he has determined if you are friend or foe. My first step after puppy class and obedience was teaching him not all strangers are bad which meant 30 minutes of walking around parking lots, with my dog muzzeled so people felt safe, asking if they would help me feed him. He only ate at parking lots and only out of my hand. My wife and I and any kids that would be around hand fed him so he understood food aggression is not acceptable.

- To destroy anyone who sets foot over the fence trying to break into home
All of the dogs mentioned have that capability but this is a fine line. What if a kid scales the fence as a joke, do you want your dog to kill that kid? Without proper training how is the dog supposed to know when to attack and when not to? Basically you are saying anyone who comes over the fence should be destroyed. If they break into your house that is a different story, if someone does my Bouvier will take you down and most likely won't need my help unless there are 3-4 people. I just call the cops and I have signs 'protection dog on duty'.

- Super intimidating. Vicious bark.
Any dog can be taught to bark and be quiet on command. I train mock protection as well - big dog/big bark and even growl but not allowed to bite. Just a deterrent but that takes dozens of hours of work. I say speak and my dog barks until I say quiet. This was easy to teach and fun. This is enough to stop 99% of the world from being a problem.

- Does not bark a lot annoying neighbours
You are asking for way too much - you want a dog that is intimidating with a vicious bark but don't use it unless he/she sees danger. A paper bag can be perceived as danger by a German Shepherd and they lose their mind without training. I think you are asking for way too much unless you are going to be trained to train your dog and that includes your wife and kids. Dogs are pack animals and all those breeds will run the house and will try to be Alpha (at least many will) if they don't have boundaries, rules and consistent leadership from all family members. I have seen way too many families where the dog listens to one person only.

- Extremely gentle around infants, children, and kids
Most dogs are but they need to learn kids are not toys - almost all protection dogs / guard dogs are working dogs and it is in their nature to nip, heard, and control but not if they know the rules. They may love the kids but scare the shit out them every time they run by nipping at their feet for fun. Again, if you don't have experience in teaching this don't buy any of those breeds or you are getting professional help. My Bouvier will let kids ride him like a pony and loves all kids but he is a working/herding dog so he likes to nip at their legs and I had to curb this. I never hit dogs ever - I use my voice and other communication tools. Never punish a dog unless they are caught in the act and I don't mean swat them - voice is enough if they know the pack hierarchy.

- Very obedient
Some dogs are smarter than others, I wanted a Bouvier because they are very smart, were bread to work in two's to protect a flock from wolves and also have a huge head with an inch of muscle on top of their skull to take a kick from a cow. They are rugged and I love my dog but he would run the house if we let him. He can't drag me but I'm 230 lbs, my wife is 110 and he can run with her like a kite behind him if he wants to. We both trained him so he understood he has to listen to both. Working breeds, which are typically protection dogs, are smart and need a job. If you want a protection ornament don't get a dog as they will become destructive. He needs a 45 minute walk a day or 30 minutes of training followed by 15 minutes of play or he will open the cupboards and take out the garbage or just be a clever jerk and open a book and pull out the pages one by one. Dogs need stimulation and are smart creatures but never forget they are still 3 or 4 year old kids for life.

- Very intelligent
All the breeds you mention are and my most intelligent dogs were a rescue border collie mix who I protection trained and my Bouvier. A dog is only going to be as 'human' smart as the time you put into training and bonding with the animal.

- His sole mission: Protect this family.
Most herding/working dogs are naturally protective of their flock.

Can they tell the difference between invited guests/strangers vs those uninvited with wrong intentions?
Yes, if taught. There are vids at the place where I got certified, the master trainer with a scary mask and a baseball bat screaming and looking scary and my dog had to stay in his stand position and do nothing. I would walk over and shake the scary guy's hand, and he would feed my dog a prized possession like liver. Teaching him don't judge by size or look. He was also trained that when someone charged at me, the guy in the full protective gear would be taken down and he would try to rip his arm off.
Even to this day, my buddy is suspicious of strangers but if I talk nice to the person and shake their hand, etc. he knows they are OK. If it changed and the guy tackled me, he would rip his arm off or break his arm but that took hours of training.

Might sound like I am exaggerating but I'm not - if you don't have time for long walks, 15 minutes minimum a day for training, money for classes for socialization and for someone to teach you how to be the leader don't buy any of those dogs.
Seriously - look up on google, "don't buy a bouvier." I love my dog and he would give his life for us but if we didn't have a ton of experience and go to class each week he would probably be put down. When he was a pup he would charge strangers on a leash and grown and bark. It took a lot of time with him but he is perfect now.
With other dogs it doesn't take as much work.

Do not buy a Cane Corso if you haven't owned a dog before. Start with a dog like an Airedale Terrier. Big enough to be a deterrent and can be a protection dog but only 50 pounds. Naturally protective, and very smart. There are a few in our Sunday class and they are great dogs. One is protection trained and can latch on to an arm and good luck getting him off.
I'm not against any dog you mentioned, I am concerned with what you want from them.
Just my opinion - I wish you good luck.
If you want to talk about this please PM me and I will be happy to discuss it further.

take care,
GR

Dude I learned more from your post than 4 hours of youtube videos last night :LOL:

Very helpful and insightful. I’ll have to re-read a few times again.

Yeh I think we’ll start off with a smaller more family oriented and easily trainable dog at first. The fam will get accustomed as well. Maybe a yr? later upgrade to a working dog?

I'm not an expert like Mr GR so take it for what it's worth. However, I would classify Corsos as an advanced breed. Obviously any dog can be trained well or poorly and can therefore be as good or bad a choice as another. Honestly though, unless you need protection, I would look closer at the idea of a family dog. They will deter most invaders just by barking. It's just a different mindset and training requirement.

I had a Bullmastiff. She was awesome. Small in comparison to their potential at 120lbs. She sort of didn't understand kids but was always gentle with them. Like others have mentioned, she had a bark that would send anyone running in the opposite direction. Her problem was with other dogs. She chased down sheppards and chomped a few other smaller dogs.

Anyways, here's a quote from the very first site I clicked on. I assume this is the average assessment of corsos.

A Cane Corso is best adopted by a person who is familiar with dog training rather than a first-time owner. Proper training and socialization are essential for all cane corsos. With a natural aversion to strangers and a tendency to be territorial, you must be diligent and consistent while training. This is also crucial because of the dog's giant size; careful attention should be placed upon prevention of jumping, leaning, and leash-pulling. The Cane Corso is intelligent and hard-working, so it should not be difficult for this breed to learn.

Despite its appearance, which some might find intimidating, the Cane Corso can actually be affectionate and gentle. This breed will bond deeply with its family and act as a protector. With proper handling and socialization, the Cane Corso can get along well with children, even forming a close bond. However, children must also be taught how to behave around dogs and never left unsupervised.

A Cane Corso needs a sturdy, high fence when allowed outdoors. The breed has a high prey drive and is prone to chasing and killing small animals such as cats and other dogs. They are territorial and will patrol the fence line, protecting the property from passersby.

That’s a real beauty bud. The Cane sounds awesome

Just to add... Here is that sites overall assessment of the two breeds.
Check out the Kids part.

The bullmastiff was in my top 3 picks, checks off everything on the list too - but damn they drool too much 🤤

If you want a dog that you expect to be outside a lot, German Shep not a bad pick. They are extremely loyal. Me personally, I would go with a Rottie, as I had one in the past, and she was an outstanding dog.

my sis had a german sheppard. I’ll try to get a pic, he was a monster, huuuuge. Ferocious and was too protective of the kids, but a gentle giant. If kids’ dad snapped at one of their kids the dog looked like he was about to kill him. They gave him away for free before something happened. Probably the largest german sheppard I’ve ever seen, he guarded the little girls like it was his sole mission in life. Problem was, it was too much.

Still on the list though. They can read people pretty damn well

Dude I learned more from your post than 4 hours of youtube videos last night :LOL:

Very helpful and insightful. I’ll have to re-read a few times again.

Yeh I think we’ll start off with a smaller more family oriented and easily trainable dog at first. The fam will get accustomed as well. Maybe a yr? later upgrade to a working dog?
I'm glad I could help but I can't stress this enough, for now a mid sized dog can easily deter strangers and get your family use to a pet but planning for a large powerful breed in a year is fine if you take that year going to puppy class, obedience, and have someone train you/help you. There are wonderful training tools for powerful breeds but you have be taught by professionals how to use them or it is just plain cruel.

You can train the kids and the Mrs. and they have to be involved in walking the dog, making it heal, come on command 100% of the time. You can put a cat in front of my dogs/or cats fighting, or dogs fighting and I say down and my dogs hit the ground and they won't move for hours until I release them. Its called bomb proofing your pet and it takes work but it has saved my Bouvier as he runs beside my quad for miles in the country and he heals beside my machine. Many times we saw foxes, skunks or whatever and I say sit and he sits. It saves their lives when they see a coyote or fox and chase it and disappear or run into the road and get hit with a car.

We have a 225 lb Mastiff/St. Bernard in our class and it was awful when they joined. The master trainer had to jump on its back to stop it from trying to bite us. It was so powerful he couldn't stop the dog with a choke chain so it took two of us. The owner is a 100 lb lady and within 6 months that dog had more respect for her and obeyed every command and was placid and looked at her through all classes with respect but she trained that dog everyday for 30 minutes. It isn't about the dog you get, it is about training the humans/family and once that foundation is in you can handle almost any dog. There are exceptions - do not buy a Cane Corso after a year unless you are prepared to work with a professional who knows what they are doing like the folks at UPK9. They train you, you train your dog. The bond from training a working dog is unbreakable and the dogs like it - it is work for them and they want a job. Don't give a working dog a job and you will have a trouble dog.

Keep in mind I had a 45 lb Border Collie mix and I trained her for protection, she would give her life for us and would rip the face off a person if they tried to touch my wife. That being said, she couldn't stop a full grown 250 lb man but she was a damn good deterrent.

Go slow and if you don't have time to do all this stuff, stick to a nice lab or golden retriever. Dogs are work but I just happen to love it. I help people for free because I enjoy it and I get paid if it is a real problem dog but I never ever hit a dog. I will use tools and I don't mean a hammer to hit the dog.

Like I said I don't want to preach too much but dogs are a decade to two of a partnership and a comittment. Dogs all come from wolves and some are closer than others with their breeding and we had two deaths in the last 6 months - two pet dogs killed their owners. I don't know how these things happen but all dogs must respect the leaders and know their place and mine do but at the same time - I love, pet, cuddle, play wrestle, play games, take care of all their needs. I am somewhat passionate about dogs and animal abuse so I will shut up now and get back to my bent rows lol.

If you want help PM me and I will be happy to help you out with basic training starters but please take your dog to puppy class and a basic obedience at minimum.
Nice chatting.
GR

I grew up with Doberman’s, they were all showdogs.
Out of all of them I found the males to be more calm.
Now like any animal, you will have ones that will be perfect and others meh.
I believe it’s also how they are raised.
Our main male grew up with my brother and I, I was 5 years old. We treated him like a brother, so he thought he was human. Used to sleep under the covers at night, I’d puff up a pillow for him, kept me warm in the winter, lol.

He never growled at us, was trained not to, we could take away food no issue.
More than scary enough that if someone came to the door and he was barking, and we pretended like we couldn’t hold on, the person would leave. But he didn’t bark just to bark.

I remember one time my uncle who lived with us for a bit, snuck up on my mom doing dishes and flipped her over his shoulder, well the dog had his forearm in his mouth in 2 seconds. Scared the shit out of my uncle. But he was protecting my mom, what he was supposed to do. But you could tell the dog feel awkward after because he realized it my uncle after, but instinct took over first.

My sister when she was 3-4 put her chair leg on his balls and sat down. Well he turned around and smacked herover with his paw and gave a little growl, but imo it was warranted. I’m shocked he didn’t bite her. My dad was going to punish the dog, my brother and I wouldn’t allow him to, we figured the dog acted properly for what had happened.

Now they are not overly snuggly feeling, the only soft spot is their chin and the tuff of fur under their ears, plus their fur gets into everything, and it’s hard so it stabs you thru your pajamas on the couch sometimes. But I’ll never have another animal like him.

We had to put him down when he was 12, brain tumour, he started to growl at us and it wasn’t normal.

I think the best part was I’d fart a really stinky one and blame it on the dog and get away with it, the funny part was the dog would sniff his own ass, then still look guilty. Oh andhe would sometimes drink out of the septic system water overflow and my god his farts could kill brain cells, lol.

I'm glad I could help but I can't stress this enough, for now a mid sized dog can easily deter strangers and get your family use to a pet but planning for a large powerful breed in a year is fine if you take that year going to puppy class, obedience, and have someone train you/help you. There are wonderful training tools for powerful breeds but you have be taught by professionals how to use them or it is just plain cruel.

You can train the kids and the Mrs. and they have to be involved in walking the dog, making it heal, come on command 100% of the time. You can put a cat in front of my dogs/or cats fighting, or dogs fighting and I say down and my dogs hit the ground and they won't move for hours until I release them. Its called bomb proofing your pet and it takes work but it has saved my Bouvier as he runs beside my quad for miles in the country and he heals beside my machine. Many times we saw foxes, skunks or whatever and I say sit and he sits. It saves their lives when they see a coyote or fox and chase it and disappear or run into the road and get hit with a car.

We have a 225 lb Mastiff/St. Bernard in our class and it was awful when they joined. The master trainer had to jump on its back to stop it from trying to bite us. It was so powerful he couldn't stop the dog with a choke chain so it took two of us. The owner is a 100 lb lady and within 6 months that dog had more respect for her and obeyed every command and was placid and looked at her through all classes with respect but she trained that dog everyday for 30 minutes. It isn't about the dog you get, it is about training the humans/family and once that foundation is in you can handle almost any dog. There are exceptions - do not buy a Cane Corso after a year unless you are prepared to work with a professional who knows what they are doing like the folks at UPK9. They train you, you train your dog. The bond from training a working dog is unbreakable and the dogs like it - it is work for them and they want a job. Don't give a working dog a job and you will have a trouble dog.

Keep in mind I had a 45 lb Border Collie mix and I trained her for protection, she would give her life for us and would rip the face off a person if they tried to touch my wife. That being said, she couldn't stop a full grown 250 lb man but she was a damn good deterrent.

Go slow and if you don't have time to do all this stuff, stick to a nice lab or golden retriever. Dogs are work but I just happen to love it. I help people for free because I enjoy it and I get paid if it is a real problem dog but I never ever hit a dog. I will use tools and I don't mean a hammer to hit the dog.

Like I said I don't want to preach too much but dogs are a decade to two of a partnership and a comittment. Dogs all come from wolves and some are closer than others with their breeding and we had two deaths in the last 6 months - two pet dogs killed their owners. I don't know how these things happen but all dogs must respect the leaders and know their place and mine do but at the same time - I love, pet, cuddle, play wrestle, play games, take care of all their needs. I am somewhat passionate about dogs and animal abuse so I will shut up now and get back to my bent rows lol.

If you want help PM me and I will be happy to help you out with basic training starters but please take your dog to puppy class and a basic obedience at minimum.
Nice chatting.
GR
We had a border collie that helped us herd cattle, very smart dogs. We didn’t even need to train her, it was natural.

We had a border collie that helped us herd cattle, very smart dogs. We didn’t even need to train her, it was natural.
My Bouvier is the same, we live in the country and I love it. Behind our back yard we have cows in a fence. He loves to get them to the barn and help the farmers, never taught just instinct. He doesn't bite them but can get a little rough at time so I have to be present to make sure he doesn't hurt a calf.

Thank you for a great thread CBers learned a lot here and Holy Fucksticks! I salute you Mr @Goldenrod
thanks @gondar1 , Dogs have been a passion of mine for 22 years and I have been around dogs growing up on a farm for 40 years. For everything I put into my dogs, I get it back double in devotion, love and pure joy. Not a day go by they don't make me laugh.
The kids play hide and seek with the big guy. They say sit and he sits, they yell release which means he is allowed to move and he uses his nose to find them. It is hilarious and my dog loves it looking behind chairs, opening doors (yes he taught himself to turn door nobs and open cupboard doors the jerk) and the kids think its hilarious. He bellows in joy when he finds them and they just laugh and wrestle with him as his reward.
I don't trust people who don't like dogs unless they have been attacked or hurt and are scared.

Hey Sorby, the Border Collie was one of my first dogs and I swear like my Bouvier she understood English. Smartest dog I have ever met, we won agility and non sanctioned obedience trials because she wasn't a pure bred she could not compete in specific competitions.
She would win all competitions for protection flying around the place, leaping in the air and hitting the arm pad. It was hilarious and one of the only dogs who didn't take the big men down in their protection suits as she was 1/2 Border Collie, 1/4 lab, 1/4 German Shepherd.
I cried like a little baby when she went blind but she lived with us for another 4 years and I taught her to fetch with smell and sound. Outside, blind but could still fetch tennis balls. Dogs are fucking amazing period.

@Goldenrod off topic but i have had questions smoldering in my head for such a expert as you.
1. can a working dog be trained to not do its primary behavior? a friend had a beagle as a house pet. always had dogs. her father trained their hunting dogs. she spent time every day with this dog. she read and watched videos. this dog was smart, seemed to understand english. it could never heal without the leash. once the leash was let go, it was off beating the bush. not running away, but zigzagging in front of our path.
2. does mixing 2 different types of working dogs create a fucked up dog? another friend got a dog that was half hunting half herding. the dog seems exhibits both behaviors and it seem to confuse her at times. its loved and trained, it just doesnt seem to have capacity to learn much.