Choosing Perfect Family & Guard Dog

OmegaBravo7

Trusted Member
For those with knowledge and experience with dogs, especially guard dogs(not based off Google), what is the best all-around guard dog?

And it’s for actual guarding the home and family. Objective is to keep safe the family from animal attacks and deter intruder mother fuckers with evil intentions. At the same time the children must be safe around the dog at all times- zero tolerance for incidents or accidents.

Between a Rottweiler, German Sheppard, Bullmastiff, and Doberman...

- To destroy anyone who sets foot over the fence trying to break into home

- Super intimidating. Vicious bark.

- Does not bark a lot annoying neighbours

- Extremely gentle around infants, children, and kids

- Very obedient

- Very intelligent

- His sole mission: Protect this family.

Can they tell the difference between invited guests/strangers vs those uninvited with wrong intentions?

any of them will do if you can pick the right dog but the dog you are talking about is totally pitbull, amstaff type dog or mastiff. i love dobys and german shepherds but they can be know to be too high strung to be around children. not all, few. amstaffs and mastiffs seem to be some of the breeds that understand innately to love and protect children and let kids mess with them like its their jobs. you cant guarantee behaviors out of a dog from its breed or even from its lineage. i saw a show and thats what the trainer said. he was hired to train german shepherds, bred from a special lineage imported from germany. both dogs just didnt have it in them. but he could pick dogs out of a litter that had it. same as the czear the dog whisperer. i have seen him pick out the right dog for families. so that may be an idea is to talk to a guard dog trainer in your area to find the right dog for you and your family.

The best guard dog I’ve had so far is an English mastiff, his imposing size around 200lbs is more than enough to keep any crack head away. He also has the Barry White of dog barks very deep and loud. He has never shown an ounce of aggression to anyone in the family in over 8 years but he is very good at reading strangers that are up to no good. He would even go as far as to no let any male into the house he didn’t know if I wasn’t home. When no one is home he barks at strangers like he wants to eat them lol. He would let the kids do anything they wanted to him, he’ll my daughter would feed him his dog food i kernel at a time and he just waited patiently.

The downside is the huge amount of drool and shedding. I would also be cautious having any dog around an infant or small child as they could unintentionally hurt them with tail or step on them.

I wouldnt want any dog around if i thought it would bite.
but i have two very large dogs. Saint Bernard and a st bernard cross with great pyrenese they hear everything and alert you, plus large to intimidate, but are useless during a break in. Been there. Done that. Lol , but if someone tried to hurt my wife or kid, i think they would protect them for sure. .

From experience with animals I say German Shepherd is the best option very loyal to family very protective the only bad thing is it likes chewing up everything. Now I have owned a Rottweiler German Shepherd mixed that pretty cool dog breed, but Rottweiler by itself I be concern around kids. Bullmastiff not that great on protecting. Doberman don’t know to much about that bread. I have worked with a lot of dog braids in my first job as a groomer and a trainer until I couldn’t do it due to my back problems.

Last edited:
Any medium to large dog can be a great guard dog. Hell even a small dog can be a guard dog. Sure they would get soccer punted across your yard but their yappy barking would alert anyone in the house. I have been around dogs all my life and the most aggressive I've seen was a big black lab, hunting dog of course and believe it or not a dalmatian was the most meanest aggressive I've ever been around. I even knew I guy who had those Caucasian mountain dogs, he was a beauty. Very calm but was extremely intimidating, even to a black or grizzly bear.

My Staffs were great at being guard dogs and were excellent with kids. One was a therapy dog also. Big bad Staffie. Go figure.

Friends of mine from SA told me that when their kids are born families purchase a staffer pup to grow up with the kid.

Basically creating an unbreakable bond between the kid and the dog..... and no one then fucks with the kid. Ever.

As others have said. Every one of those choices could be great. Every one of those could probably be trained into what you want.

I think the best is to ask yourself what you truly want in the dog and remember that if you want a true protection dog, they probably arent going to be a family dog. That’s not to say a family dog can’t be protective but a true working dog usually doesn’t make for the best pet.

For those with knowledge and experience with dogs, especially guard dogs(not based off Google), what is the best all-around guard dog?

And it’s for actual guarding the home and family. Objective is to keep safe the family from animal attacks and deter intruder mother fuckers with evil intentions. At the same time the children must be safe around the dog at all times- zero tolerance for incidents or accidents.

Between a Rottweiler, German Sheppard, Bullmastiff, and Doberman...

- To destroy anyone who sets foot over the fence trying to break into home

- Super intimidating. Vicious bark.

- Does not bark a lot annoying neighbours

- Extremely gentle around infants, children, and kids

- Very obedient

- Very intelligent

- His sole mission: Protect this family.

Can they tell the difference between invited guests/strangers vs those uninvited with wrong intentions?
Morning,

To answer your question there is no 'best' guard or protection dog. My 45 lb Border Collie rescue (mix) was protection trained and would give her life to protect us. My 125 lb Bouvier can take down any man and dislocate their arms or break their arms with a bite - but only on command or if someone attacks me or my family. Per @Bagua - I love staffies and they can rip your hand off and they are usually lovable with people but can be dog aggressive due to the idiots that bread them for dog fighting. Again, potentially 100's of hours to bomb proof your dog so you don't have a law suit on you hand,
Before you think I'm talking out my ass, I am certified in training for protection and advanced obedience, rescue/rehabilitate and either keep or find a home for troubled dogs all the time. The list is missing some of the best 'protection' dogs IMO.
When a new client brings in a wish list like that I ask do you realize you are looking at 100's of hours of training or you could accidentally create a weapon that kills a child, adult, or another dog?
Next question - how many dogs have you owned and what breeds? Do your children/family have experience with dogs - will you make them work the dog? I have offered help with obedience via PM here but won't help with protection as I can't see the day to day training you put in, do your children hand feed the dog, etc.

I am happy to give some advice but before I do please answer the above questions.

thank you,
GR

Morning,

To answer your question there is no 'best' guard or protection dog. My 45 lb Border Collie rescue (mix) was protection trained and would give her life to protect us. My 125 lb Bouvier can take down any man and dislocate their arms or break their arms with a bite - but only on command or if someone attacks me or my family. Per @Bagua - I love staffies and they can rip your hand off and they are usually lovable with people but can be dog aggressive due to the idiots that bread them for dog fighting. Again, potentially 100's of hours to bomb proof your dog so you don't have a law suit on you hand,
Before you think I'm talking out my ass, I am certified in training for protection and advanced obedience, rescue/rehabilitate and either keep or find a home for troubled dogs all the time. The list is missing some of the best 'protection' dogs IMO.
When a new client brings in a wish list like that I ask do you realize you are looking at 100's of hours of training or you could accidentally create a weapon that kills a child, adult, or another dog?
Next question - how many dogs have you owned and what breeds? Do your children/family have experience with dogs - will you make them work the dog? I have offered help with obedience via PM here but won't help with protection as I can't see the day to day training you put in, do your children hand feed the dog, etc.

I am happy to give some advice but before I do please answer the above questions.

thank you,
GR
I did not know you were involved in pet rescue and training I would love to talk to you about that since I have a lot of experience as well. 😍

Solid info. I came here to shorten my list but instead it’s expanded.

My buddy convinced someone he knows to sell me one of their cane corso pups for $3,500. He was pushing me towards then because he says somwthing about how well they’re bred or trained - something like that 🤷‍♂️

We met and spoke but when I told them we have Zer0 experience with dogs they changed their mind. So this will be like getting a motorcycle? Got to start off with the 250cc first?

Well dogs can be alot of work, esp on Vet bills. If you got a big dog, its expensive as fuck. Not to mention the cost of food. My pug I dont spend much on food tho because she is so small. Like $30 a month. But bigger dogs you can easily spend that every few days.

If you like a specific breed, jsut do your research and understand, then make the choice if that breed is right for you.

Morning,

thank you,
GR

None of us have owned.
I basically want the dog to guard and protect. At the same time, and even more-so, my kids must be 100% safe around the dog. There will be zero tolerance with any neglect and abuse of the dog and there will be zero tolerance of aggression towards the kids. The dog(s) will have a custom built home of 500sqft on the property accessible for him to leave and enter as he pleases. He can come in and out of our house but he can’t stay inside our house.

After doing some comparisons and reading up on them, the Cane Corso stands out the most

Last edited: