Choosing Perfect Family & Guard Dog

Those Chihuahuas bark at everything.... I mean everything. Good luck trying to fart without being noticed. These motherfuckers will be standing behind you staring dead at your ass barking telling the whole fucking world it came from there

Thank God you can knock them unconscious with a backhand, because if they weighed 100lbs most of us would be dead. They’re so ferocious those little fuckers. Someone needs to remind them they fit in a hotdog bun. They’re more tenacious than a fucking bear

Last edited:
Those Chihuahuas bark at everything.... I mean everything. Good luck trying to fart without being noticed. These motherfuckers will be standing behind you staring dead at your ass barking telling the whole fucking world it came from there

Thank God you can knock them unconscious with a backhand, because if they weighed 100lbs most of us would be dead. They’re so ferocious those little fuckers. Someone needs to remind them they fit in a hotdog bun. They’re more tenacious than a fucking bear
My parents had a hairy one. Looked like a tiny dog. They came to visit and it was scared shitless of my cats.
They tried to play with it like a cat, pouncing on it, poor thing, it was less than half their weight, lol.

Hey Sorby, the Border Collie was one of my first dogs and I swear like my Bouvier she understood English. Smartest dog I have ever met, we won agility and non sanctioned obedience trials because she wasn't a pure bred she could not compete in specific competitions.
She would win all competitions for protection flying around the place, leaping in the air and hitting the arm pad. It was hilarious and one of the only dogs who didn't take the big men down in their protection suits as she was 1/2 Border Collie, 1/4 lab, 1/4 German Shepherd.
I cried like a little baby when she went blind but she lived with us for another 4 years and I taught her to fetch with smell and sound. Outside, blind but could still fetch tennis balls. Dogs are fucking amazing period.
Mine want purebred either. It was the outside farm dog. I really liked that dog.
I remember one night in the fall (lived out in no mans land) when I got home I was too drunk to get the key in the door, so at 3 am, I sat down beside the tire of my car, and decided to pat the dog till I sobered abit. It was chilly, I could have went and slept in the heated barn on the cot, but I was enjoying patting her.

Next thing I know my dad is kicking me, the dogs in my jacket and I’m snuggling her, laying on the gravel beside the tire of my car, and my dads giving me shit about drinking and driving, lol.

@Goldenrod off topic but i have had questions smoldering in my head for such a expert as you.
1. can a working dog be trained to not do its primary behavior? a friend had a beagle as a house pet. always had dogs. her father trained their hunting dogs. she spent time every day with this dog. she read and watched videos. this dog was smart, seemed to understand english. it could never heal without the leash. once the leash was let go, it was off beating the bush. not running away, but zigzagging in front of our path.
2. does mixing 2 different types of working dogs create a fucked up dog? another friend got a dog that was half hunting half herding. the dog seems exhibits both behaviors and it seem to confuse her at times. its loved and trained, it just doesnt seem to have capacity to learn much.
All dogs in the world can be trained to do whatever you want them to do. People who say the opposite are wrong.
The dog that doesn't heal when the leash comes off doesn't respect the owner.
Mix breeds, pure bred dogs it does not matter. It will be harder and you may need harsher tools and no I am not cruel to any dog/never hit them ever but hunting dogs can be trained to do heal off leash like a poodle. I had a coonhound rescue and he could spot a cat a mile away but if I said heal he went to my side and wouldn't leave but it was twice as much work as it was with my border collie rescue. It was his nature to chase down small animals.
Dogs come with traits from years of breeding but my Bouvier is a herding dog so when he sees the cows behind us he should run after them but he doesn't because I don't allow it. He will push the boundaries just like any kid would so I set him up, leave him out back and I go inside where I can see him but he doesn't know I can and when he decides fuck you buddy I'm going for it, I yell no, down and he lays down. If that doesn't work, I would use a vibrating collar as a communication device with my voice.
If a dog knows how to sit and it doesn't when you say sit - he/she is basically saying fuck you I don't have to listen to you.
It isn't cruel to have rules and boundaries for dogs, it saves their lives.
With the exception of an odd dog, most dogs want to please you but they are kids and kids will do what they want if you let them. Once a dog learns what you want and there are repercussions for not following those rules they will do it 100% of the time. Bomb proof your dog, I say look and my dogs look at my face and you can shoot a shotgun off or throw balls by them and they will not look away. That took hours of practice with help from people in our classes but it teaches your dog to pay attention to you at all times.

I teach a command place so people can enter the house in peace. He barks and warns someone is there and I say place and he sits on a pillow in the front room. He will sit there for hours unless I release him. That isn't cruel, some people are scared of huge dogs so if that happens he sits or lays on his pillow bed until they leave.
Long answer to a short question - any dog can do what you ask them. Dogs bark and when my dog barks and someone is at the door I am happy and say thank you because it is a deterrent but when I say quiet they stop. This stuff isn't hard to teach any dog once you are taught by someone who knows how to train animals.

If I sound like a Nazi with my dogs I'm not - we walk everyday (mostly my wife does that) and they work for their food like they would in real life, I play with them, they get excellent medical care, top raw food with some orijen kibble and human food mixed in everyday as most dog food is crap, they get attention, and I love them.

A hungry dog is a dog that will work for their food like in the wild, I train my dogs when they are hungry and their reward is food. If they blow me off - they don't get the rest of the food. I would never starve my animals but dogs will be much more motivated to work and be obedient when they are hungry. This is just for the start of training. Later on they just do it because it is second nature. If you don't use you lose it too. So never stop working your animals - making supper, make them down while you cook and then reward them after with a play session and prize treat like liver.
I will shut up now.

My dog’s are actually very sweet & very loyal I think they pick up personality from their owner and the way they’re being raised.
1600561921376.png

Last edited:

You should never strike a dog/assume your joking and with all due respect if I saw someone strike a dog, I would report them and if they were abusing the animal I would strike the owner. Those little dogs are like that because people think they are little and harmless and allow them to be that way. Little foo foo dogs are often vicious because the owners allow them to run the house. We have a 17 lb terrier - tiny little dog but it is treated the same as my 125 lb dog.
I don't agree with everything Cesar Melan says but watch some of the show when he stops those vicious 10 lb dogs in an hour. Sure the show is edited but the premise is sound. Your dog growls and snaps cause it wants your bed - the dog is put off the bed and doesn't come back up that night. It will learn quickly.

You should never strike a dog/assume your joking and with all due respect if I saw someone strike a dog, I would report them and if they were abusing the animal I would strike the owner. Those little dogs are like that because people think they are little and harmless and allow them to be that way. Little foo foo dogs are often vicious because the owners allow them to run the house. We have a 17 lb terrier - tiny little dog but it is treated the same as my 125 lb dog.
I don't agree with everything Cesar Melan says but watch some of the show when he stops those vicious 10 lb dogs in an hour. Sure the show is edited but the premise is sound. Your dog growls and snaps cause it wants your bed - the dog is put off the bed and doesn't come back up that night. It will learn quickly.
I agree the black and white one I actually rescued her from the breeder because she was the runt and she left her in the black cage in the heat with no food no water no bed she had mange in her skin & yeast infection from birth and what she told me she left her to die because nobody would want her I almost killed that woman.

I have to agree with @Goldenrod . As a owner of a cane corso I have to say there breed is incredibly smart and Loyal very loyal, Loving dogs and very protective .In my opinion perfect for a family guard dog if trained since puppy. All mastiff breeds I feel carry a certain sense of need to protect

I read somewhere that chihuahuas are the most aggressive dogs don’t know how true that is but man those little fellas can be snappy. I love all dogs big or small I find them fascinating

@Goldenrod can one make a pretty good guess what the size and weight of a puppy would be once grown based off the parents' info?
I'm looking at a King Shepherd male puppy.

Mom: Shiloh Shepherd / King Shepherd mix. Weighs 90lbs
Father: King Shepherd. Weighs 110lbs

The father seems to be on the lower end of the weight spectrum for a King Shepherd

Solid info. I came here to shorten my list but instead it’s expanded.

My buddy convinced someone he knows to sell me one of their cane corso pups for $3,500. He was pushing me towards then because he says somwthing about how well they’re bred or trained - something like that 🤷‍♂️

We met and spoke but when I told them we have Zer0 experience with dogs they changed their mind. So this will be like getting a motorcycle? Got to start off with the 250cc first?
Cane corsos and Rhodesian ridgebacks are pure guard dogs and not family dogs.

staffs are one of the most loyal dogs. In England they call them nanny dogs as people will use them to keep an eye on their kids.

Unfortunately if you live in Ontario they are banned.

I could hear my st bernard snoring before i opened the door after work today. I came in and he is on his back fast asleep. Fucker didnt even wake up. Actually he is still there
That's like my pitbull. She scares the piss out of people with just how she looks. But I come crashing in the house, drop my gym bag. 2 minutes later I hear her slowly walking down the hall. Peers around the corner. Eyes barely open.

Sometimes I say outloud "hey nice TV I think I'll take it" doesn't get her moving any faster. I'd like to think she'd fuck an intruder up. If not, then I'm sure what comes next will.

Cane corsos and Rhodesian ridgebacks are pure guard dogs and not family dogs.

staffs are one of the most loyal dogs. In England they call them nanny dogs as people will use them to keep an eye on their kids.

Unfortunately if you live in Ontario they are banned.
Yeah my pitty is beyond loyal and just the sweetest most loving dog. Great with kids and I can take her food out of her mouth. Though I always give it back to not breach the trust. My neighbor has a bluenose and when they're together it's about 160lbs of muscle and rock solid skulls. But they wouldn't dare snap or show aggression. Though watching people cross the street the second they see them still makes me laugh.

@Goldenrod can one make a pretty good guess what the size and weight of a puppy would be once grown based off the parents' info?

The father seems to be on the lower end of the weight spectrum for a King Shepherd
Yes, you can guess based on the lineage but it is just a guess. I have seen puppies from the same litter come out at considerably different weights.
Regardless, a King Shepherd is a big dog. An 80 lb dog or a 150 lb dog can rip a person to shreds if they want to if they have jaw strength it in their breeding.
Having a huge dog is not always a blessing as they often have joint issues, arthritis, and you will be spending a lot on vet bills. A lean dog is much more apt to live longer and have less health issues. Keep in mind Malinois make some of the best protection dogs and they range from 40 to 80 lbs.
I wouldn't worry about how big your dog is going to be - based on what you stated you will end up with a big dog that will command respect from anyone.

Generally yes but the first born and last born can be the edge cases. Also depends on how much you exercise them, diet, etc.

My boxer was first born. His mom and dad were 65lbs. He is 81 lbs and not an ounce of fat in him. That said we exercise him tons and he is on a high protein diet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldnt want any dog around if i thought it would bite.
but i have two very large dogs. Saint Bernard and a st bernard cross with great pyrenese they hear everything and alert you, plus large to intimidate, but are useless during a break in. Been there. Done that. Lol , but if someone tried to hurt my wife or kid, i think they would protect them for sure. .

I agree.. I've always had big scary dogs, but none would actually do anything if someone broke in.. The big scary factor is all thats needed.

I've got a few german shepards right now. One was a rescue and the other was a big $ purchase as he came papered and proffesionally trained. Both are good family dogs and I'd trust them not to bite anyone. But they keep ppl off my propery due to fear factor...

If you go with shepards I'd get a female..

Females tend to bond with entire family unit.. Males tend to bond to just one person to a fault..

My male shepard couldn't give two shits about my wife and kids.. honestly he couldn't careless if they left and never came back.. But I swear my male shepard watches me sleep just to make sure I haven't snuck out of the house on him.

My experience with mastiffs hasn't been great. I have known a few that "snapped" out of no where, out of the blue etc.. all was good with the middle aged staff and then one day someone went to close to their food and the dog lost it.

I've got good experiences with rotties.. But these are dogs that require a lot of training and soclialization to my knowledge and experience with them.

Someoine above mentioned the cost of dogs lol.. my 2 shepards go through a 20kg bag of dry food every 3 weeks. It deffinitely adds up..

If you go with shepards I'd get a female..

Females tend to bond with entire family unit.. Males tend to bond to just one person to a fault..

My male shepard couldn't give two shits about my wife and kids.. honestly he couldn't careless if they left and never came back.. But I swear my male shepard watches me sleep just to make sure I haven't snuck out of the house on him.

My experience with mastiffs hasn't been great. I have known a few that "snapped" out of no where, out of the blue etc.. all was good with the middle aged staff and then one day someone went to close to their food and the dog lost it.

I've got good experiences with rotties.. But these are dogs that require a lot of training and soclialization to my knowledge and experience with them.

Someoine above mentioned the cost of dogs lol.. my 2 shepards go through a 20kg bag of dry food every 3 weeks. It deffinitely adds up..

That’s been a question I’ve been meaning to ask, male or female. Considering I’m having a really hard time finding a King Shepherd I may have to settle for a German Shepherd, and the female might be too small in this breed. With the King breed the female can be 100lbs easy.

I’ll be getting ready to build a kennel for the dog(s) soon. It will be insulated, with windows, lighting, skylight, and heated during winter, maybe an 8x10 in size, and a front enclosed 8x15 concrete or artificial grass area that’ll be fenced across and above. He’ll be trained to poop and piss in a designated area in there. Dog can stay there overnight and come out as it pls. The only time it’ll be closed is when I’m out to work or I get guests on the patio that are afraid of dogs.

I’m really looking forward to it, my kids will be safe, my property and home will be guarded, and I can finally have a jogging buddy

Last edited: