Workout logs.

Punisher95

Trusted Member
Hello everyone I usually use a pen and notepad to make a note of all my lifts I was just wondering what everyone else uses or if you have any reccomendations on apps as well

same as @gondar1 - used to have a little pencil and notebook but not I have my cell on quiet and when in progressive overload use it as a guide. In deload phases to prevent injuries, I use my noggin (not meant as a shot or sarcasm - I am only going through the motions to give myself a break) and how I feel.

I used pen and paper for years, then I kinda just trained what I felt like training but now I like to use an app. I used to use stronglifts 5x5 for as long as I could handle that volume and then did the madcow version for a bit before I started modifying the program with the premium version into more of a ppl. I'm currently using the RP hypertrophy app and like it because of its autoregulation but it costs a few hundred per year.

Pen and paper. I’ve always kept a journal, I have stacks of binders sitting on the closet floor. Every once in a while I’ll go through one from years back, lots of kool programs in there that you forget about.

Paper and pen forever until I started using my phone for music. Best, no BS app going IMO is called Fit Notes
Now that a few more answers have come i feel like i should have explained better what I meant by no BS, There are lots of apps out there that do some part of your program setup for you or make suggestions. Negan mentioned a couple that do it I think. FitNotes has none of that or at least none I'm aware of or have ever used. There are some graphs and shit that you can look at - history and trends and such but basically it is the closest thing to a notebook I've found with the added bonus of letting you build a library of exercises and modify their variables.

The most important thing to me is the ability to copy an entire workout to a new day. Most of my training life I have played the "beat the logbook" game and that's where it really shines. For example say I complete a pull day and then copy that completed WO to my next pull day before I start. Now I know exactly what I did last time and what I need to do to beat it even if just by one rep in one set. A super simple edit and place a checkmark in the "completed" box for that set.

@Punisher95 It's already been a few days so you may have already previewed a bunch or chose one, let us know what you decide.

Now that a few more answers have come i feel like i should have explained better what I meant by no BS, There are lots of apps out there that do some part of your program setup for you or make suggestions. Negan mentioned a couple that do it I think. FitNotes has none of that or at least none I'm aware of or have ever used. There are some graphs and shit that you can look at - history and trends and such but basically it is the closest thing to a notebook I've found with the added bonus of letting you build a library of exercises and modify their variables.

The most important thing to me is the ability to copy an entire workout to a new day. Most of my training life I have played the "beat the logbook" game and that's where it really shines. For example say I complete a pull day and then copy that completed WO to my next pull day before I start. Now I know exactly what I did last time and what I need to do to beat it even if just by one rep in one set. A super simple edit and place a checkmark in the "completed" box for that set.

@Punisher95 It's already been a few days so you may have already previewed a bunch or chose one, let us know what you decide.
I ended.up getting fitnotes nice and simple no need to play around with it to set up just like I am using a pen and paper!
Thanks for all the suggestions you guys appreciate it

Notepad on phone, timer on phone everything in one simple little package
I stopped using a timer stronglifts had one integrated and I generally liked it but really what are we resting for? An arbitrary time or until we're rested enough to repeat a set?
I might need 5 minutes after heavy squats one day but maybe the next I'm good after 3, if I'm good after 3 today should I have to rest only 3 next week, what if I'm not ready, should I have a sub optimal set? It probably boils down to goals, is your goal endurance and cardio or strength or hypertrophy. I find isolation exercises are fast to recover, like after triceps or biceps I probably only need 2 most days. Does it matter or is it irrelevant? I now just rest until my breathing is normal and my muscles feel ready to perform work.

I stopped using a timer stronglifts had one integrated and I generally liked it but really what are we resting for? An arbitrary time or until we're rested enough to repeat a set?
I might need 5 minutes after heavy squats one day but maybe the next I'm good after 3, if I'm good after 3 today should I have to rest only 3 next week, what if I'm not ready, should I have a sub optimal set? It probably boils down to goals, is your goal endurance and cardio or strength or hypertrophy. I find isolation exercises are fast to recover, like after triceps or biceps I probably only need 2 most days. Does it matter or is it irrelevant? I now just rest until my breathing is normal and my muscles feel ready to perform work.
Yea your right that's a good way to look at it. I time it for two reasons 1- I'm either so impatient or distracted that I loose track of the time, I might race back in after 15 long drawn out second rest or get carried away changing with somebody and spend 5 minutes. The second reason is when I'm really close to plateaus I will use shorter rest periods to add intensity.