Working in Camp - What to do about diet

Boopie

Trusted Member
Hi all, I have a job working 2 weeks in 2 weeks out. This is enough time to do serious damage to one's diet. I am struggling, anyone have any hints tips or practical advice that can assist?

I eat alot of eggs, there is plain vegetables available at my camp, oatmeal, plain rice. Just gotta be creative

During the day I eat a lot of veggies and I have been bringing bone broth with me along with my whey powder. Used to like the eggs but they are using the pre-prepared ones now and they are a weird texture. I was really hoping for something not weird lol

Its a struggle, everything is loaded in salt. Including the plain chicken breast. They are the frozen ones loaded with salt. I grab boiled eggs too and just throw out the yolk. Since Im eating about 8 eggs a day. Greek yogurt if they have that at your camp. Steak night I try to get as many as possible and eat them through the week. I ask for 2 then get back in like and try again. Some people actually bring alot of food with them. But im not that hardcore, Im also not trying to cut weight, that would be difficult.

Last edited:
Low carb protein bars
Hard boiled eggs

I’ve been fasting and eating one large meal and shake before bed and I’ve still been able to add muscle and drop some fat. Makes my days much easier as I’m out pretty much all day, and used to always fall into the trap of something quick.

Low carb protein bars
Hard boiled eggs

I’ve been fasting and eating one large meal and shake before bed and I’ve still been able to add muscle and drop some fat. Makes my days much easier as I’m out pretty much all day, and used to always fall into the trap of something quick.
I don't fast, I had a bleeding ulcer when I was young, and a portion of my stomach was removed. It is literally hard for me to consume enough food for fuel as it is, and to add to this issue, I also have a sedentary job because I work in Contracts & Procurement. The something quick is an issue I avoid the baked goods table like the plague

Do you maintain a good workout routine? I'm struggling with my job one on one off. Feels like every second week off I'm just counter acting my program

Do you maintain a good workout routine? I'm struggling with my job one on one off. Feels like every second week off I'm just counter acting my program
The only part I find a grind is the 12 hour day, I find that if I don't get my arse out of bed and hit it in the AM I am likely to skip it. So I'm up early lol

I am 2 weeks in, so I find it pretty good, I have to fly out of Calgary, so I make a point of getting there a day early and booking a hotel with a gym so I can get in a workout on my travel day. Mainly because the travel day is a 6-8 hr grind depending on the weather. And I usually skip my 1st day in just to acclimate to the schedule.

The only part I find a grind is the 12 hour day, I find that if I don't get my arse out of bed and hit it in the AM I am likely to skip it. So I'm up early lol
What time are you getting to bed? Quit fucking around on your phone and go to bed..lol. turn off the lights as soon as you get in your room and wind down. I try to get to bed right away. a few nights of less sleep catch up quick throughout the shift.

I don't work in a camp but have catered meals at work and I eat keto ish. Breakfast is always poach eggs, turkey sausage and avocado and every other meal is whatever protein with some salad and a small amount of carbs.

Camp cookies and pastries are the worst and so hard to avoid lol, get in good with a camp cook if you can and they will help you out.

I quit my camp job. Couldn’t do it. Food was to shitty . Got a job with LOA instead now I cook after work.
Camps are hard man it’s not easy,
If you can do it all the power to you because I couldn’t do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I eat alot of eggs, there is plain vegetables available at my camp, oatmeal, plain rice. Just gotta be creative
This is exactly it…there are clean choices however creativity is a must. I once stayed at a camp where all you got for lunches were fucking sandwiches so I always took all of the hard boiled eggs in the salad bar and all the egg salad , roast beef and chicken sandwiches I could and ditched the bread. Typically they will have a salad bar and fruit handy so do the best you can….it won’t necessarily destroy your progress unless you eat the garbage they set out

Not sure what camps you are in but the one I’m in has great food. It makes it so easy to eat right. If it’s high protein, I eat it. Beef, pork, chicken, eggs and as much as I want. 6 days on and 1 day off, so I live here most of the year.

Not sure what camps you are in but the one I’m in has great food. It makes it so easy to eat right. If it’s high protein, I eat it. Beef, pork, chicken, eggs and as much as I want. 6 days on and 1 day off, so I live here most of the year.
Holy shit. 6 and 1 in camp. Do you drive home and back the same day..lol

Home is too far away. Get three weeks off at Christmas and about 4 to 6 weeks off at breakup. Project is supposed to be done by Christmas. Might take an extended break before looking for more work.