Tracking Steps

Brbpuppy

Trusted Member
I recently started tracking my steps, trying to keep it consistent just like I track my daily calorie intake. Just another variable I can now have control on to help reach my goals, whether it's cutting or bulking.

Just curious as to how many of you guys track your steps? And how many steps do you aim for daily while cutting, bulking, or maintaining?

It is a great tool to keep another Variable consistent. I typically only track steps when cutting because I find I become too obsessed with making sure I hit a certain amount of steps each day and it becomes another thing I get neurotic about. However, when dieting I usually aim for 8k a day to increase that up to 10-12k over the course of the diet.

nah, my garmin watch does it but i think its a low bar. walking will keep you from breaking down, but i dont think it will contribute to any significant level of fitness

I track walking, but really just kms.. never look at steps. I think walking can help burn calories, not too much more. Although if I walk 10k + I can feel sore or tight.

nah, my garmin watch does it but i think its a low bar. walking will keep you from breaking down, but i dont think it will contribute to any significant level of fitness
Actually, if I'm not wrong; most of your daily calorie expenditure comes from NEAT (non exercise activity thermogenesis). How many steps you take in a day can have a pretty large influence on your fitness and health. Even just a 20 minute walk after each meal is known to have a big impact on metabolism, blood pressure, and other shit...

I recently started tracking my steps, trying to keep it consistent just like I track my daily calorie intake. Just another variable I can now have control on to help reach my goals, whether it's cutting or bulking.

Just curious as to how many of you guys track your steps? And how many steps do you aim for daily while cutting, bulking, or maintaining?

I don't but I would if I could convince myself to purchase one of them new fangled watch thingies, not sure if they do steps or just "activity" or whatever but same idea I guess. Would be great way to adjust calorie intake around the feedback, I know most of us can get by with setting targets and measuring macros or even going by feel but some days I am almost completely inactive and it would be interesting to dial those days in more tightly.

"What gets measured gets managed" - some smart dude, I can't remember who

I don't but I would if I could convince myself to purchase one of them new fangled watch thingies, not sure if they do steps or just "activity" or whatever but same idea I guess. Would be great way to adjust calorie intake around the feedback, I know most of us can get by with setting targets and measuring macros or even going by feel but some days I am almost completely inactive and it would be interesting to dial those days in more tightly.

"What gets measured gets managed" - some smart dude, I can't remember who
You can get one of those pedometer watches that include a bunch of other features off Amazon for like $30. But I just realized today on my iPhone that the Health app has actually been tracking my steps without me even knowing for the past like, 4 years lol wtf! But obviously your phone needs to be in your pocket, and its actually pretty accurate, I was messing around with it earlier to test accuracy and I was pretty surprised, its decent. If you have a smart phone, you can just download a free pedometer app if you usually have your phone in your pocket.

You can get one of those pedometer watches that include a bunch of other features off Amazon for like $30. But I just realized today on my iPhone that the Health app has actually been tracking my steps without me even knowing for the past like, 4 years lol wtf! But obviously your phone needs to be in your pocket, and its actually pretty accurate, I was messing around with it earlier to test accuracy and I was pretty surprised, its decent. If you have a smart phone, you can just download a free pedometer app if you usually have your phone in your pocket.
What's stopped me from buying one of the cheap ones is I am unsure of the reliability or accuracy, if anyone has any feedback I'd be interested thanks. What's stopped me from buying one of the expensive ones is they seem to have all kinds of features that are of no interest to me and also I am cheap :)

What's stopped me from buying one of the cheap ones is I am unsure of the reliability or accuracy, if anyone has any feedback I'd be interested thanks. What's stopped me from buying one of the expensive ones is they seem to have all kinds of features that are of no interest to me and also I am cheap :)

I hear ya...

I got an apple watch... obviously not a cheap option but I love it. Can go for a run/walk/bike with it and leave my phone at home, still able to send texts, calls, listen to music while it tracks my heart rate, calories and steps. Also maps for when I'm on my Harley, it vibrates when to turn. As a kid this shit was spy technology, what a time to be alive.

I got an apple watch... obviously not a cheap option but I love it. Can go for a run/walk/bike with it and leave my phone at home, still able to send texts, calls, listen to music while it tracks my heart rate, calories and steps. Also maps for when I'm on my Harley, it vibrates when to turn. As a kid this shit was spy technology, what a time to be alive.
that a very interesting use! Future tech

I used a fit bit for the last four years and like it especially the alarms I set to remind when to eat,take pre work out ect...
There food logging app is very simple.
My average step count during the work week is 40k a day, I work @ a nursery and walk alot and also run my Great Danes after dinner..
Weekends 20K which intails a long hike ans 25min elliptical...

Last edited:
I used a fit bit for the last four years and like it especially the alarms I set to remind when to eat,take pre work out ect...
There food logging app is very simple.
My average step coun tduring the work week is 40k a day, I work @ a nursery and walk alot and also run my Great Danes after dinner..
Weekends 20K which intails a long hike ans 25min elliptical...
40k steps a day… wow man

I work pretty hard construction from 6am to 4-5pm then i come home and train for another hour and a half. This is without cardio right now cause im not cutting. I got zero energy left at the end of the day.
I see one of these being very useful for people who work office jobs so they are stay on track tho

I work pretty hard construction from 6am to 4-5pm then i come home and train for another hour and a half. This is without cardio right now cause im not cutting. I got zero energy left at the end of the day.
I see one of these being very useful for people who work office jobs so they are stay on track tho
Yeah, it’s a nice tool to even just stay consistent. Then adjust calories accordingly.