To cut or not to cut?

AncientEclipse

That is the question!

I've been lifting regularly just over a year now but honestly my nutrition haw also been shit. I've made pretty significant gains strength wise but am pretty puch a strong fat dude at this point lol.

Obviously cleaning up nutrition is top priority but how would you guys go about it? Do you cut hard to lose fat asap but also lose gains and build back up so to speak or go about it with a more long term goal in mind of losing fat slower but keeping gains earned?

I would do 300-500 cal deficit by just lowering carbs/sugars and adding a little cardio in. Nothing drastic. People who cut over 800 cals is to drastic and you feel like shit.

I like AB approach . Keep it simple to start . FitnessPal is a great tool to use to track Calories for a bench mark and go from there.

Anything drastic will not work long term. You see these people who go on restricted diets always add the weight back and then some.

As @A.B has said do slow and steady changes and this will be easier to stay with and give better results long term.

Anyway who really wants to be lean ?? 😂

I’m currently eating 500 calories under maintenance, still lifting 4-5 days a week with two days of cardio. Myfitnesspal has been externally helpful for counting calories and macros. Not sure how I would do it without that app to be honest. Keep in mind it’s only been a week and this is my first cut lol

You got Funnyman helping, as long as you stick to it, you’ll achieve your goals.

If I want to lose weight I go on a meat veggies and eggs diet. I eat as much of this as I want and the lbs drop off me. Very simple approach.

Anything drastic will not work long term. You see these people who go on restricted diets always add the weight back and then some.

As @A.B has said do slow and steady changes and this will be easier to stay with and give better results long term.

Anyway who really wants to be lean ?? 😂

Not to start an arguement but fuck I hate when people say that. It's basically true but that's just because the large majority of fat fucks are weak minded. There is no reason starting with a "something drastic" protocol won't work and provide long term sustainable fatloss other than lack of testicular fortitude. IOW, ya gotta have some balls. Most people really don't have the balls to stick to an intelligent approach long term which is most often why they got fat to begin with.

I do agree with slow and steady for all but the very obese though. It seems the slower you peel the fat off the less muscle you'll use. But if you are truly extremely obese I feel like getting that fat off to improve your overall health is an emergency that's much more important than losing some muscle. Chances are if you weigh 400+ lbs you are never gonna being a competitive physique athlete so your priorities should reflect that.

I don't know how long you have been on the forum but plenty of us have posted step by step progressive programs, meal plans, exercise routines etc... you name it one of has put it up there.

I am a relative new comer here and have completely transformed myself with what I found on here and asking the right folks for a few bits of insight.

Start reading bro!!

good luck!!

Not to start an arguement but fuck I hate when people say that. It's basically true but that's just because the large majority of fat fucks are weak minded. There is no reason starting with a "something drastic" protocol won't work and provide long term sustainable fatloss other than lack of testicular fortitude. IOW, ya gotta have some balls. Most people really don't have the balls to stick to an intelligent approach long term which is most often why they got fat to begin with.

I do agree with slow and steady for all but the very obese though. It seems the slower you peel the fat off the less muscle you'll use. But if you are truly extremely obese I feel like getting that fat off to improve your overall health is an emergency that's much more important than losing some muscle. Chances are if you weigh 400+ lbs you are never gonna being a competitive physique athlete so your priorities should reflect that.
@gondar1 you are off the Christmas card list. This year is a doozy, extreme close up of ....... Well now you will never know. 😂😂

And yes I agree with above, anyone over 400 lbs needs to have their jaw wired shut for a couple of months.

@gondar1 you are off the Christmas card list. This year is a doozy, extreme close up of ....... Well now you will never know. 😂😂

And yes I agree with above, anyone over 400 lbs needs to have their jaw wired shut for a couple of months.

Finally! I've been trying to get off that list for years, Mom thinks your cards are "Fucking Gross!!!!" (her words not mine)