The insanity of this World

There are calls for lots different scenarios. Some as extreme as abolishing the police all together. These people will get a reality check if anything close to that happens.
I am no fan of police, mainly the policing for profit, but they have a place in functioning society. I think it would be good if they went on strike for a month and sit back and watch. These protesters will be begging for them within a week.

That is being tried in some major cities, Toronto included, with a certain amount of success. The main problem is there are not enough of them to get to every mental health call. Mental health is a complex issue that requires the involvement of multiple entities, and the police are involved in 30,000 calls each year, 6000 of these calls are covered by hybrid units of mental health worker and cop. A suggestion has been to have a number besides 911 for mental health calls and more hybrid units to be able to respond to these calls. There also needs to be more facilities to handle a mental health crisis on their own similar to the successful program with the Gerstein Centre and their rapid response team. We just need more. Get the money from the cop budget. Use cops for other calls, because most cops really do suck with mental health crisis intervention.
They suck because the personality needed to run into what most people would shit themselves and run away, is not the same personality you need to tend to someone with mental health issues. Truthfully the police shouldn’t have to deal with that part except as backup, professionals should. Would you send a psychologist to write tickets, or pull people from their cars during a major snowstorm before more cars run in to the pile up, he’ll no.

They suck because the personality needed to run into what most people would shit themselves and run away, is not the same personality you need to tend to someone with mental health issues. Truthfully the police shouldn’t have to deal with that part except as backup, professionals should. Would you send a psychologist to write tickets, or pull people from their cars during a major snowstorm before more cars run in to the pile up, he’ll no.

I know quite a few psychologists that would do well hauling people out of cars. Psychotherapists that would be able to write tickets quite well. It's not that hard. Most mental health workers deal with violence daily. It's part of the job. It's not just a personality thing. It's training.

I know quite a few psychologists that would do well hauling people out of cars. Psychotherapists that would be able to write tickets quite well. It's not that hard. Most mental health workers deal with violence daily. It's part of the job. It's not just a personality thing. It's training.
So you know all about policing as well?
Damn you are well versed sir.

Reactions: 3ml
My wife works in mental health and has worked in homes that shelter youth. Yes, they are expected to handle things, but there are MANY situations in which they are not capable to defending. Some of these kids are incredibly violent. Many workers, leave for their own mental health and straight up safety concerns because the people they're there to help aren't co-operative. There are sometimes when talking nice just doesn't work and there are people who don't have a respect for life like most of us do.

I can think of several scenarios where nothing but police and perhaps force is necessary.

Anyway this conversation is moot. They may defund things somewhat, but they'll never defund completely for abolish the police. Within hours of the police wlking off the job it will be a nightmare with murders, looting rape, arson.. you name it. The fucking idiots are basically giving the criminal element in our society carte blanche to do as they please.. and no one wants that. In the end, rich people will buy private security which mens the most affected people will be the poor and inner city residents where crime already has a foothold. It will simply turn into anarchy.

pinko:LOL:

So you know all about policing as well?
Damn you are well versed sir.

Nice try, Sorby.
I've worked with cops for years. I used to part of the Action Team out of Queen St Mental Health. We would go gather up patients that were being held at 52 and 54 Division. When restraints were banned for a couple of years we had to call 911 to get an ambulance and a squad car to deal with our guys who were in crisis. Being an outreach worker with the Sally Ann the cops would come to our bus for a coffee and chat.
So yep. Very well versed.

My wife works in mental health and has worked in homes that shelter youth. Yes, they are expected to handle things, but there are MANY situations in which they are not capable to defending. Some of these kids are incredibly violent. Many workers, leave for their own mental health and straight up safety concerns because the people they're there to help aren't co-operative. There are sometimes when talking nice just doesn't work and there are people who don't have a respect for life like most of us do.

I can think of several scenarios where nothing but police and perhaps force is necessary.

Anyway this conversation is moot. They may defund things somewhat, but they'll never defund completely for abolish the police. Within hours of the police wlking off the job it will be a nightmare with murders, looting rape, arson.. you name it. The fucking idiots are basically giving the criminal element in our society carte blanche to do as they please.. and no one wants that. In the end, rich people will buy private security which mens the most affected people will be the poor and inner city residents where crime already has a foothold. It will simply turn into anarchy.

There it is!

Deep thoughts and recollections:

I believe, correct me if I am wrong. The police started way back when to monitor the slaves, apparently prior to that there was the ol town sherriff etc, and quickest draw won, but everyone had guns, I should say almost everyone.
Then they started a policing unit to keep the slaves from running away.
I hope this is not viewed as a racist remark, as it is not intended to be at all.
I read this just not long ago.
Times were much different though than today.

I have read the same for USA.

I hear ya on that one....Although, I don't miss those days too much, constantly peeking out the window at every door knock in my tighty whiteys.
F#$k, it's the cops, don't make a sound....;^)
Recollecting as fast as I can reviewing what I did wrong and figuring out an alibi toute suite....
Then looking at my buddy shaking and shivering, and saying fu#$ it and opening the door and just taking the rap....lol then plead the fifth...
A long time ago in my case, different life now....sigh BUT fun to talk about with my old comrades... when the kids go to bed.

The good ole days!!

Nice try, Sorby.
I've worked with cops for years. I used to part of the Action Team out of Queen St Mental Health. We would go gather up patients that were being held at 52 and 54 Division. When restraints were banned for a couple of years we had to call 911 to get an ambulance and a squad car to deal with our guys who were in crisis. Being an outreach worker with the Sally Ann the cops would come to our bus for a coffee and chat.
Out of Queen St I would guess you have seen it all.

My mother lived on Mechanics street before her mother bought a house during the war.Have known the area from years back.

The RCMP/NWMP was formed to enforce The Indian Act. Poundmaker and Big Bear pissed them off and that was the end of cordial relations. Way simple explanation.
Thanks Bagua that is cool info on the RCMP, I believe the stuff I wrote was for American po-po….

There's a movie about that...The PURGE...….

My mother lived on Mechanics street before her mother bought a house during the war.Have known the area from years back.

It's all gentrified now. I haven't been down there in a while.

Reactions: Cog
Nice try, Sorby.
Not trying anything.
I have numerous personal friends that are officers as well.
I just think it’s a bit narrow minded to think that someone that has trained in mental health could just easily walk into an officers job without additional training, and assuming that they would have the mental fortitude for it.