Suggestions for home gym equipment

loaking

I'm considering purchasing some equipment and was wondering if anyone has some suggestions for a multigym. considering a powertec leverage gym, ironax, or maybe an inspire m3. Antone have experience with the leverage systems?

I dont but i do they do look pretty decent. Powertec is probably the best but i have a couple of ironax pieces here and they are solid. Im pretty sure treadmillfactory has 1 on sale which looks good
Still might want some dumbbells to go with it tho

I dont but i do they do look pretty decent. Powertec is probably the best but i have a couple of ironax pieces here and they are solid. Im pretty sure treadmillfactory has 1 on sale which looks good
Still might want some dumbbells to go with it tho
I have a set of powerblocks stage 2. that I cart up and down with me to work, I am away 2 weeks at a time so. My big want in a gym is cables. I really like cable work but they take so much space. the powertec i'm looking at has low row but stuck with a static lat pulldown. Not sure about the range of motion on those arms. The one at treadmill factory was the one I was looking in to. it looks really good, and I like the detachable bench. I was watching a promo video for the powertec that Kai was using the equipment and it looks really smooth.

I have a set of powerblocks stage 2. that I cart up and down with me to work, I am away 2 weeks at a time so. My big want in a gym is cables. I really like cable work but they take so much space. the powertec i'm looking at has low row but stuck with a static lat pulldown. Not sure about the range of motion on those arms. The one at treadmill factory was the one I was looking in to. it looks really good, and I like the detachable bench. I was watching a promo video for the powertec that Kai was using the equipment and it looks really smooth.
Not sure if you are still in the market for gym equipment, but you could also get a pulley system similar to the one from Spud Inc.

Here's an example for one: https://www.roguefitness.com/spud-inc-pulley-systems

I didn't buy this cable system, but I made my own with some vinyl coated steel cable, a loading pin from Ironmind or Amazon, steel thimbles to hold the wire back, and some mountain climbing pulleys. Coop made something similar here:

Hope that helps you out.

I made my own system and agree with @Cheapshot on a lot - adjustable dumbbells, a bar with as much weight as you need, a squat rack is great if you have the room and can buy one.
I would add in a chin up bar - go to a metal fabricator and get one made to your specs for your home. As much as they can't replace loose weights - I don't have a squat rack so I bought a set of quality Rogue Bands that add 100's of lbs. I can squat holding dumbbells and put bands on for added resistance. Not as good as a squat rack but takes less room.

At home I have a squat rack and a cable cross over machine, a cheap one you load your own plates on. With a set of dumbells you can do everything.
Instead of 2 handed lat pull downs you can do 1 arm with the cable machine, and bent rows are better for back with deadlifts anyways. Harder than low rows, yes, but work better IMO.

I have been building a sweet gym. I have a power rack assembly with chin up at top, with lat pulldown and row assemblies and have a cable cross system that attaches to the power rack, . I have a leg extension and curl machine, dumbbells' adjustable, and various benches and a hack squat leg press combo will be here this week. Pull down bars and handles attachments, ez curl bars. I have a basement all set up, fully finished theatre room adjoining my Gym,, i have cardio eqpt in view of the Big screen and a wicked sound system set up, and in the next room is all my upper body stuff, and in front of theatre beside cardio treadmill bike etc is my leg stuff... It looks wicked, i am proud of my set up as i never thought about having one prior to lockdowns etc.
I am just putting in some cool Goon lighting in my upper body side, will be sweet.

It is getting real nice and i swear that i get much better workouts by feeling post work and results doing this at home rather than gym. I get more work with free weights and using simple basics rather than a bunch of machines etc i resort to when i feel lazy. Now if i feel lazy, i have no choice but to work and 1-2 sets in, laziness is gone and i have had great workouts and truly enjoy it. My wife has been my workout partner for 18 yrs now and she feels the same way. The vaccine passports have been a blessing for me in many ways.. lol

Look at Valor fitness sometime, they have great stuff shipped to your door at very reasonable pricing even after exchange. I have a couple other things ill be getting. They are not sod out of every fucking thing like everywhere up here lately.

Last edited:
Not sure if you are still in the market for gym equipment, but you could also get a pulley system similar to the one from Spud Inc.

Here's an example for one: https://www.roguefitness.com/spud-inc-pulley-systems

I didn't buy this cable system, but I made my own with some vinyl coated steel cable, a loading pin from Ironmind or Amazon, steel thimbles to hold the wire back, and some mountain climbing pulleys. Coop made something similar here:

Hope that helps you out.

If you are going to build this pulley system, use 2 pulleys. This way you can be at a distance from the weight stack. I built a tri push down at jy other house attaching to the floor beam.

I have a basement all set up, fully finished theatre room adjoining my Gym,, i have cardio eqpt in view of the Big screen and a wicked sound system set up, and in the next room is all my upper body stuff, and in front of theatre beside cardio treadmill bike etc is my leg stuff... It looks wicked, i am proud of my set up

You gotta post pics. Very similar to what I have in mind except with the addition of lounge/play such as arcades kids games etc. What’s the size of the basement or the area of where the ht and workout equipments are? Height of ceiling? What you got for speakers?

If you are going to build this pulley system, use 2 pulleys. This way you can be at a distance from the weight stack. I built a tri push down at jy other house attaching to the floor beam.
Agreed, I ended up building a system with two pulleys. If you don't use two pulleys, you won't be able to do Lat Pulldowns and Tricep Pushdowns without the weight hitting you.

I've seen some people that only use a single weight stack, and take a few steps back to do their exercises. The angle isn't completely vertical though, so the movements can feel off.

Even better, add a third pulley attached to somewhere down low so you can add in low rows!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

You gotta post pics. Very similar to what I have in mind except with the addition of lounge/play such as arcades kids games etc. What’s the size of the basement or the area of where the ht and workout equipments are? Height of ceiling? What you got for speakers?
I am not sure of exact dimensions. My ceiling is a full 8 foot ceiling.
The theatre room and cardio and leg part is in an L shape, probably about 25 feet by 30 feet with the narrow section being about 20 feet wide i am guessing. The theatre part is open to the leg and cardio area at the back side of the seating area, so i can watch TV or listen to Tunes while doing cardio, well i should say my wife does a lot of cardio, me...Not so much...I walk outside on the trails in the rockies here..
The upper body and other stuff is in a room of its own, also 8 foot ceilings, and it is 20 by 15 feet. With mirrors and lighting etc.
By spring i will have everything i want, i already have everything i need and more.

My speakers and sound system are the high end Samsung system. Its set up for theatre with 7.1 sound with a big subwoofer and speakers behind and in front and on sides with extra ones that bounce the sound off the roof and walls also to bring in extra reality to the system. Samsung is coming along in sound world IMO.
I had Bose and Yamaha and a few other systems over the years and this one is my favorite. I think it was around 2800.00 if i recall correctly. The soiund is incredible with music and video. Pink Floyd is wicked cranked and crystal clear.
Ill get some pics up someday soon....I hate resizing the damn things etc to fit on forums.

I have ordered everything a piece at a time like Johnny Cash in the Detroit Ford Plant.
Took my time and i bought most of my plates etc off kijiji as people had them up for sale periodically. I have 10 x 45 lb plates, 8 x 35, 4 x 25 an bunch of 10s one inch and olympic style 2.5 lbers etc.
Dumbells are the chrome ones with the star style washers and i can get 80 lbs on each DB with a wee bit of room left. So DB presses etc can be done with higher reps, but good enough for pretty much anything else i need to do.
I just slowly kept building after first lock down as i figured it would come again, but i got nailed for no vaccine passport etc, so i am very happy i did what i did. Took some time and diligence, but fuck the Government, im gonna keep living and going onwards.

I made my own system and agree with @Cheapshot on a lot - adjustable dumbbells, a bar with as much weight as you need, a squat rack is great if you have the room and can buy one.
I would add in a chin up bar - go to a metal fabricator and get one made to your specs for your home. As much as they can't replace loose weights - I don't have a squat rack so I bought a set of quality Rogue Bands that add 100's of lbs. I can squat holding dumbbells and put bands on for added resistance. Not as good as a squat rack but takes less room.
One must always remember we are humans, and we need to be stimulated as well as love to lift. I need to have a bit of something to keep me motivated. The brain part is a factor as well working out at home. So it is good to get the very basics to keep one going for the short term, BUT IMHO, if you want to go long term and continually improve etc, one needs to have something that makes you want to go after it every day and for many, the very basics wont do that over a long period of time to permanent situation. That's just me though and what i have seen from home set ups.
Get what you NEED, then take your time and get what you WANT, and it will be better imo over the long haul if one is removed from gyms or has no desire to be there.

@ironwill I use an app called "compress" Works great and was free. You just have to put up with a 5 sec add for every 2 pictures you compress.

One must always remember we are humans, and we need to be stimulated as well as love to lift. I need to have a bit of something to keep me motivated. The brain part is a factor as well working out at home. So it is good to get the very basics to keep one going for the short term, BUT IMHO, if you want to go long term and continually improve etc, one needs to have something that makes you want to go after it every day and for many, the very basics wont do that over a long period of time to permanent situation. That's just me though and what i have seen from home set ups.
Get what you NEED, then take your time and get what you WANT, and it will be better imo over the long haul if one is removed from gyms or has no desire to be there.
Land mine, get yourself a land mine if you have any sort of a rack to attach it to. I always just put in a corner etc and put a towel or wood piece to ensure i wouldn't damage walls etc. Landmine is slick and works very well on many exercises.
Canadian tire, 40 bucks, beauty.

This is my rack i bought. Except front to back is 48 inches not 24 like this one, that's a bit too unstable, but it would be stable with cable assemblies attached, i just did not know i was getting them yet. Also has dip attachments

Last edited:
This arrived a few weeks ago, love it, big time, i bought the sleeve adapter to use either olympic or 1" plates. Standing or seated hammie curls, and leg extensions and hits them perfectly.