Stretching

Treneth

Trusted Member
So we have the big 3s in lifting what about the big Xs for stretching? I've got to start working on stretching and mobility a little more and want the biggest bang for time.

Because of our "sitting" life style I truly believe the key areas to focus on are shoulders, back, hips and hamstrings.

I do waaaay more mobility work than stretching and find it more beneficial. I do a 20 min set daily usually watching TV. But if i had to pick top bang for the buck for me are:
1. Worlds greatest stretch (ton of youtube videos)
2. scapula hangs - hand from chin bar for 5 seconds, then retract scapula and hang for 5 more seconds...keep alternating for 1 min
3. Back stroke arm motion while using a "peanut" up the spine. (you can buy or just ducktape two tennis balls together)

Honourable mentions - bird dogs, airplanes, pigeon pose, aductor activation (sit on floor and lift one straight leg, squeeze and hold 30 seconds)...

Yoga works great as well. I fortunately have an old lady who is an instructor, and let me tell you it works almost better than stretching itself. Look up some basic poses and you'll be amazed how much strength it takes to hold some of these positions. But it works nicely for loosening up the muscles and for mind body connections.