Smart scales

Negan

Trusted Member
I bought a smart scale (renpho) at the beginning of this meso cycle. I also bought a smart tape measure to track my progress. I don't think the scale is very accurate though. I think it just makes an assumption based on a few metrics. Has anyone else used one of these?

At first it estimated my bf at like 35% so ridiculous but I saw it had an athlete mode and then it said 20%. Its possible I'm 20%bf but I doubt it. Anyway I thought its a baseline for comparison, in the last 6 weeks It reads most metrics as not changing significantly which is strange because I'm stronger, a little lighter, I can see changes in the mirror and my jeans fit loosely compared to before. I'm going to take measurements probably on Wednesday to see if anything much changed that way.

So after a year of using this scale I can say 100% it's bullshit. I've been 265lbs 3 times each time I've been bigger and leaner but each time it has said 21.5% bf at that weight. When I lose weight it claims I'm losing muscle and fat at about the same rate. Last time I was 240 I bought some size 34 pants the legs and butt are tighter now but the waist isn't much different. Without a pump my arms alone are 2 inches bigger my chest is 5 inches, shoulders 3 etc everything is bigger but my waist.... Don't buy one. I might get a caliper and ask my gf to help me measure skinfolds.

So after a year of using this scale I can say 100% it's bullshit. I've been 265lbs 3 times each time I've been bigger and leaner but each time it has said 21.5% bf at that weight. When I lose weight it claims I'm losing muscle and fat at about the same rate. Last time I was 240 I bought some size 34 pants the legs and butt are tighter now but the waist isn't much different. Without a pump my arms alone are 2 inches bigger my chest is 5 inches, shoulders 3 etc everything is bigger but my waist.... Don't buy one. I might get a caliper and ask my gf to help me measure skinfolds.
I have the same scale, or at least a Renpho. I bought it because I was pretty fat and looking for the usual things that go beep to tell me I'm doing well aspect of improvement. :ROFLMAO:

Anyhow, it started off at 24% (possible). It's now saying I'm at 17%, which is also possible, but one thing that happened when I was on more of a recomp last year, was I started off with a 40+" waist at around 218lbs, made it down to a 37"inch waist, ending up at the same weight, and I was still at 24%. It's pretty clear that it's just doing some kind of linear progression and not giving me an actual percentage reading.

The good news is that I'm down to 208 lbs with a 35" waist, and it tells me that I have just gone from obese to simply overweight.

I'll take the small victories.

The day it went from Obese to Overweight (I've been working on not being a 52 year old fat bastard for a while now):
Aug 05 2023 (2).jpg

I have the same scale, or at least a Renpho. I bought it because I was pretty fat and looking for the usual things that go beep to tell me I'm doing well aspect of improvement. :ROFLMAO:

Anyhow, it started off at 24% (possible). It's now saying I'm at 17%, which is also possible, but one thing that happened when I was on more of a recomp last year, was I started off with a 40+" waist at around 218lbs, made it down to a 37"inch waist, ending up at the same weight, and I was still at 24%. It's pretty clear that it's just doing some kind of linear progression and not giving me an actual percentage reading.

The good news is that I'm down to 208 lbs with a 35" waist, and it tells me that I have just gone from obese to simply overweight.

The day it went from Obese to Overweight (I've been working on not being a 52 year old fat bastard for a while now):
View attachment 52926
Look at you showing off how lean you are getting.
You’ll be ripped eventually and take lots of pics, it’s harder to maintain when older, lol.

View attachment 52926
Ya I'm sure it's a height/weight ratio thing my muscle and fat percentage follow the exact same patterns as weight. Oh well it wasn't really much more expensive than a regular scale and I needed a new one anyway so it's no big deal. You look great btw I wouldn't be surprised if you're leaner than 17.

I figure that since it's giving us a BMI result, which are useless, that tells us that it probably has no capacity at all to differentiate between fat and muscle at all. If it could, why would it even have the BMI information?

There's probably a manual that could tell us how it arrives at the body fat %, but looking for that, and then reading it, entails far more effort than just bitching about it, so for that reason, I figure it will forever be a mystery to me. 😂

And thanks. 👍
Ya I'm sure it's a height/weight ratio thing my muscle and fat percentage follow the exact same patterns as weight. Oh well it wasn't really much more expensive than a regular scale and I needed a new one anyway so it's no big deal. You look great btw I wouldn't be surprised if you're leaner than 17.

View attachment 52926
That looks like some great results man. Awesome! Lookin pretty jacked there already to be honest. Keep it up.

How do u take pictures without holding the phone
Most cameras have a selfie trigger word or a voice activated camera option in the settings. There are apps for that, of course. Or, you can prop your phone up, take a vid, and just take a screenshot from the video. That way you can move around and whatnot to get a decent shot without running back and forth to look at the phone.

Most cameras have a selfie trigger word or a voice activated camera option in the settings. There are apps for that, of course. Or, you can prop your phone up, take a vid, and just take a screenshot from the video. That way you can move around and whatnot to get a decent shot without running back and forth to look at the phone.
My phone has a delayed shutter setting. I can set to 3 or 5 seconds but I usually just take mirror pictures.

That's cool, so I don't have to choose which side of my body is gunna be hidden during a progress pic, cause I'm holding up the phone lol.
Just another thing nerds have created so I don't need a girlfriend lol.
I was taking some entry level stuff to learn how to build a.i.
I never made it to the actual a.i. building part; I just did the math and physics stuff to see if I'm smart enough to understand how to learn it. I was interested when I heard of chat gpt and another online bot. When it first came out there was so much hype and they were saying it could do so much, turns out to not be as good as they say, which made me lose interest.... But it is smart enough to make sex robots. The only real success they've had with ai is those online ai girlfriends. I think their planning something 😏

Did u see the news report when chat gpt agreed with Hitler's views saying it hated Jews and Hitler was doing a service 🤣
I wonder who programmed it.

Look at you showing off how lean you are getting.
You’ll be ripped eventually and take lots of pics, it’s harder to maintain when older, lol.
lol... I just came back from Maui. I worked really hard and took extra gear to make sure I looked good for pics. To be honest, I look too good in pics and feel it's way too obvious for me or my wife to post anything on social media. At least I'll have them to look back on. I put on 15 pounds in Hawaii so its already fading.

to OP. Smart scales don't work at all for BF%. Only good to track weight in apps if you use apps and sync it.
Ya it seems to just just figure out a percentage. If I look at graphs from the scale all metrics follow the exact same arch. I might get some calipers in the future as they seem to be more accurate.