Quitting Nicotine Accountability Thread.

5% make it 5yrs is true. Yes the VAST majority of the newcomers drop out in the first year. It is a painful process dealing with getting honest with myself, very painful at times and distasteful.

Not given is the percentage of people who actively work with newcomers and sponsees- 75%. There is a reason(s) for this high percentage ;)
I have worked with many people over the years, and data is hard to come by and thus hard to work in the field, but I do know one irrefutable thing: everyone will relapse regardless of the treatment. I wish I could offer more for the thread, but either you quit, or you don't. No sweat off my back these days.
My fave method is-

5% make it 5yrs is true. Yes the VAST majority of the newcomers drop out in the first year. It is a painful process dealing with getting honest with myself, very painful at times and distasteful.

Not given is the percentage of people who actively work with newcomers and sponsees- 75%. There is a reason(s) for this high percentage ;)
I think most people who aren't helped by groups are the ones who don't fully embrace it. You have to do what your told and in most cases that I've witnessed its worked

I have worked with many people over the years, and data is hard to come by and thus hard to work in the field, but I do know one irrefutable thing: everyone will relapse regardless of the treatment.
My present sponsor is on his 51st year of sobriety and likely not to drink today. Good chance he won't tomorrow as well but after that all bets are off as we say since it's one day at a time. He can handle the worst life can throw at him with grace including finding out he needs multiple bypass surgery now. The news runs right off his back like water off a duck's. When I ask him how he can think this way his reply was.....

"It's as simple as this, the situation is known now and is in the best possible hands- the capable doctors and medical profession we rely on. There is nothing I can do to change anything and worrying about it will bring nothing positive. I follow the directions given. Everything is perfect in God's universe and this is a positive thing- I found out of the 100% blockage in one artery and massive blockage in all the others except one. If God did not bring the feeling I should approach my doctor regarding how I was feeling then I would have likely died of heart attack not knowing the severity of my condition"

There is A LOT more he said but this is enough to elaborate a point about how he places his will and life over to the care of God as he understands him and "get the hell out of my own way" LOL. I know of many people like this however they may have 11yrs, 19yrs or 25yrs of sobriety so it's a chicken and the egg scenario as only the past can be the prover of if a person does not relapse. I do however know of many, many times more than this who do not act this way and I will do anything not to get what they have. I want what he has so I do what he does to earn it.

It boils down to willingness, honesty, open mindedness and surrender for me. A 12 step program is a program of complete honesty and that is SO difficult for me because my will, ego and personal defects of character subtly creep in without me recognizing it. I am grateful to have a program as it allows me to recognize my defects and use them to become strengths to help others instead of myself as my natural programming is selfish and self centered- the root of my problems. How I once felt things were happening to me, now I realize life happens. My life ran on self propulsion can hardly be a success as I find myself continuously in collision with something or someone. How unhappy I was- restless things were not going my way, the way I want them because that is what I wanted, irritable at things an especially people! Damn it why won't they just do what I think and tell them to- don't they realize I know so much better and things would be perfect if they just would. Discontent- how negative I thought seeing the bad in the good, never seeing the positive in a situation or circumstance. It's so simple- I am driven by a hundred forms of fear, self-delusion, self-seeking and self-pity so I step on the toes of people and they realiate sometimes without provocation but when I honestly think about it I did something at some time in the past based upon self, placed myself in a position to be hurt and they retaliate, and my warped mind thinks it's unprovoked!!

I was playing God trying to control and manipulate for my own selfish wants and needs. It was only when I stopped trying to play God and let him be the director in my life then and only then did I start to get relief from the prison of my own mind and true happiness started to come into my life. :) I am very spiritual but not religious in anyway. I have a higher power I refer to as God of my understanding to make it easier to relate to others.

Since starting gear/trt say two years ago ish, I quit smoking right away and now maybe every 10 weeks or so I'll cave and smoke a pack then jump back on the wagon. I had a horrible weekend though and smoked 3 packs so 45 minutes of cardio tonight was nice to get my ass in check and I'm expecting a sweaty stressed out week as the nicotine wears off. Never stop stopping boys

Since starting gear/trt say two years ago ish, I quit smoking right away and now maybe every 10 weeks or so I'll cave and smoke a pack then jump back on the wagon. I had a horrible weekend though and smoked 3 packs so 45 minutes of cardio tonight was nice to get my ass in check and I'm expecting a sweaty stressed out week as the nicotine wears off. Never stop stopping boys
As a ex smoker who fought tooth and nail to stop the habit, I am rooting for you brother. It's a long journey but every step gets you nearer.

As a ex smoker who fought tooth and nail to stop the habit, I am rooting for you brother. It's a long journey but every step gets you nearer.
Thanks man yea it might be one of the hardest things I've ever done, I'm getting there though slowly but surly. I appreciate the support man

I have to quit too. Pretty bad when I have a pre and post workout smoke… . Plan is to switch to vaping and quit. I have not been smoking long so hopefully that is in my corner. Great to hear of others quitting. It’s such a gross disgusting habit. I feel bad for my wife putting up with the smell on my clothing.

I have to quit too. Pretty bad when I have a pre and post workout smoke… . Plan is to switch to vaping and quit. I have not been smoking long so hopefully that is in my corner. Great to hear of others quitting. It’s such a gross disgusting habit. I feel bad for my wife putting up with the smell on my clothing.
Good for you man, it's so detrimental to health. If you live in ontario you can go to your doctor and get free nicotine patches too, I went that route after I tried vaping and just got addicted to it lol

Good for you man, it's so detrimental to health. If you live in ontario you can go to your doctor and get free nicotine patches too, I went that route after I tried vaping and just got addicted to it lol
Same happened to me but with Nicorettes. Chewed them for a couple years and finally said fuck it and went back to smoking. To me nicorettes are the best tasting gum out there, I always figured they should make them without any nicotine, that way as you ween yourself off you can just keep chewing and without even realizing it you’re completely off nicotine.

The best bet is to get addicted to something that's no fun then ween down. Patches I think are best because lasengers, inhalers, vapes and gum can all be enjoyable and too hard to stop

I used to chew or “dip” tobacco really bad…large tin a day bad. I quit by mixing it with a non tobacco product and eventually weened off completely. I quit smoking for 4 months last year by vaping and only started smoking again because I’m an idiot. I’ve tried the gum and really dislike it. I might try those patches!

I've quit successfully a few times, with years between starting back up. Each time I quit by reducing the darts I smoke daily, often smoking partial cigarette butting out and smoking more later.after about a week I'll go cold turkey. My last dart was a year ago, I started back up from my divorce stress and smoked for a year before quitting again. I think the stop smoking nicotine aids don't deal with the addiction you're just replacing the source of nicotine. Going cold turkey is hard and the withdrawal sides peak at about 3 days, it gets easier after. Good luck bros.

I've quit successfully a few times, with years between starting back up. Each time I quit by reducing the darts I smoke daily, often smoking partial cigarette butting out and smoking more later.after about a week I'll go cold turkey. My last dart was a year ago, I started back up from my divorce stress and smoked for a year before quitting again. I think the stop smoking nicotine aids don't deal with the addiction you're just replacing the source of nicotine. Going cold turkey is hard and the withdrawal sides peak at about 3 days, it gets easier after. Good luck bros.
That is my thought as well. I never had luck with cessation aids. Cold Turkey was the best way.

I used to chew a little bit and smoked while drinking years ago but pretty much quit now. Just makes me feel like shit especially if I'm trying to go for a run or do something cardio intensive. If you really want to quit smoke 3 back to back then jog a mile no stopping lol.

The most ill dabble with now is a pack of backwoods few times a year and I just use the wrap as a blunt. There are 5 per pack so you basically smoke them all if you open it and experience some withdrawal still - night sweats, irritated, messed up appetite, etc. I found taking cold showers really helped with withdrawal though even if night sweats its weird.

The best bet is to get addicted to something that's no fun then ween down. Patches I think are best because lasengers, inhalers, vapes and gum can all be enjoyable and too hard to stop
That would be great if that were possible for most but a lot of people need to take steps down. One thing I do is try to make it less enjoyable for myself by steering away from habits related to the addiction like first thing in the morning with coffee or right after a workout, I'll remind myself I can do it in a bit but I have to wait ten minutes just so I can limit the enjoyment.

Another note is Nicotine comes in different forms similar to testosterone does, each one acts differently so it's not just about the method of delivery.

How's everyone doing with the not smoking? I started quiting 2 years ago. Been off and on since never smoked longer then a week since and will never stop trying. Every now and then I have a weekend relapse but haven't in at least a month now. Funny when nicotine lowers my caffeine needs to lower and carbs go up lol.

I quit January 12th. Both cigarettes and weed. I used the 2nd step patch for 8 days and that was it. Haven't touched either since then.