Multi day fasting

Nixter

Trusted Member
Does anyone do this? Mainly interested in it for autophagy so no need to comment about catabolism. When cutting, I often do 36hr fasts, once a week. Autophagy tends to peak around the 48 hour mark though. Just looking for people's thoughts and experiences if they've done this or thought about it.

I used to do 48h fasts regularly due to medical gut issues. After a while you adapt and usually by the second morning I'm not even hungry. I actually feel great the second day fasting (but again... related gut issues may be the reason). I'm on TRT so I can't really comment on the impact on hormones or catabolism. I also made up for the lost calories on days when I was eating regularly to balance out my food. My biggest warning will be make sure you have a bathroom close by after your first post-fast meal. It will kick your digestion into hyperdrive and prepare for explosive release on the porcelain throne.

I used to do a 10-12 hour fast, you definitely get used to it. I'm not so sure I could do 36, and multiple days seems like crazy talk to me. Good luck if you try it. I have read positive things about multiple day fasts while researching, but most people who did were not into weight training.

I did 36hrs after I got back from Jamaica in January. Totally reset me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Natrually Fast for 12... Up to 16, 18 if I am working.

I'll do a 24hr fast once in a while. Usually if I had a bad binge for a bit and need a, 'reset'.

I used to do OMAD (one meal a day). So would fast for 23 hours per day basically. Was great for losing weight, but I did lose a bit of muscle/strength. I would not recommend weight training while fasting.

I think it’s great for longevity, but it’d be counter productive to any athletics, the same goes for taking metformin

David Sinclair talks about this quite often, if youre interested in autophagy/longevity should watch some of his interviews. Really interesting stuff, I took a lot of his advices and got healthy really quick
His advice worked better than any bodybuilding liver supplement regimen ever did

Does anyone do this? Mainly interested in it for autophagy so no need to comment about catabolism. When cutting, I often do 36hr fasts, once a week. Autophagy tends to peak around the 48 hour mark though. Just looking for people's thoughts and experiences if they've done this or thought about it.
i'll check to see if i had an article detailing damage to organs based on fasting for too long at a time. I'm not sure how long each fasting duration lasted during the studies, but they measured chemicals that become elevated, and note each chemical and the specific organ each chemical affects.

i think as long as you keep your blood pressure under control, testosterone will give you a good bang for your buck in terms on youthfulness, vitality, libido, strength, etc. Staying hydrated, eating consistently nutrient richbmeals, and getting good sleeps are better solutions toward health, imho.

Used to do a day long fast from pre bed snack to dinner the next night. It definitely helps to reset your digestion and to lose weight. I always felt bad for the guys at work as I’d be ornery and irritable. Plus if I had to do any kind of physical work on that day I’d be pretty useless.

Ive started doing 36hr fasts, once a week again. I really like it. I make up for the cals on other days as I mentioned im in it for the autophagy more than anything.

For muscle building fasting, especially multi day fasting is not beneficial whatsoever. Youre body needs protein not only for muscle building/maintaining but for organ function as well. Youre body also does not store protein. It either utilizes it, gets rid of it or converts it to glucose. So, extended fasting will cause muscle loss, simple.

If your bloodwork indicates you are in good health and there is nothing out of range and your gut health is in good order then there is no reason to fast.

If for some reason you have gut issues then a short fast could be beneficial but, what I think would be more beneficial is dialing back the food intake overall and consume an amount of food that will allow your guts to function correctly and build some muscle as well.

The best thing for overall health AND muscle building is a balanced diet full of micronutrient dense foods, measured amounts, consumed at the same times every day.

I understand that a long fast isn't ideal for muscle but I make up the cals the rest of the week. I feel amazing after I do it as well. This is for longevity, not size. I fast from mom bedtime until wed breakfast. I basically don't eat on Tuesday. I'm going to start incorporating low intensity cardio on fasting days as well

I understand that a long fast isn't ideal for muscle but I make up the cals the rest of the week. I feel amazing after I do it as well. This is for longevity, not size. I fast from mom bedtime until wed breakfast. I basically don't eat on Tuesday. I'm going to start incorporating low intensity cardio on fasting days as well

I assumed, which has led me in the wrong direction before, we are all here with bodybuilding in mind, even though you mentioned youre in it for the autophagy.

I am also of the mindset of getting in daily what the body as a whole requires, hence my response!

I'll bow put of this one as I have nothing to add positively or negatively!

I assumed, which has led me in the wrong direction before, we are all here with bodybuilding in mind, even though you mentioned youre in it for the autophagy.

I am also of the mindset of getting in daily what the body as a whole requires, hence my response!

I'll bow put of this one as I have nothing to add positively or negatively!
All good brother! At my age it's about balance and I'm just finding it hard to ignore the increasing evidence on the health benefits of longer fasts.

All good brother! At my age it's about balance and I'm just finding it hard to ignore the increasing evidence on the health benefits of longer fasts.
With my metabolism being at light speed and speeding up as I get older I'd be a wreck even fasting for 12 hours lol

With my metabolism being at light speed and speeding up as I get older I'd be a wreck even fasting for 12 hours lol
I can tell you that befoe I tried it, I said the EXACT same thing. Our ancestors and nearly every creature on earth has evolve to go for long periods of time without food, no problem. Everyone says they can't do it and I was one of the loudest about it lol.