Herniated disc

Durk

Trusted Member
I’m posting this for a friend. He is out of the gym and out of shape. I would say he has a basic level of gym knowledge. Recently he got into a car accident and has a herniated disc.

He has been doing physio for a few months and it doesn’t seem to be helping much. He wants to get back into the gym and wants my advice, but I really don’t know much about rehabbing injuries. I suggested he do some reverse hypers maybe and start with some machines not to aggravate it. He also tore something in his shoulder which is another issue.

He lives in Florida and has benefits, so I suggested he try to get some test and hgh for trt since they are a little more relaxed on prescribing hgh down there from what I gather on USA boards.

Anyone here more knowledgeable in this area have any suggestions?

I am not too knowledgeable but I have followed this very closely because my dad has a fucked up back.

No matter what don’t intervene in any way. Those surgeries worsen people, they become clumsy and they have a lot of difficulties afterwards.

The thing with everything around your spine is that it has the ability to regenerate cells that other tissues and places can’t.

My dad and his mates they all are post boomers and this generation made their career in a chair, they are all screwed but the ones without surgery are way far better.

My two cents humble opinion :)

Anyone here more knowledgeable in this area have any suggestions?
With due respect.
Without posting a ton more info including all professional diagnosis and imaging results what kind of answer could you possibly expect here?
Even with that info?
There are scant few physicians or other health care providers here and the ones I know of don't post much.
Tendinosis? Possible infection? BP is high? ED? Shit like that might be worth an ask but when people post something as complex as a this I always wonder why. Not really why I guess but as above what they expect for an answer and more importantly how good any such answer would be given the lack of info and an actual exam.

Buddy needs to go see a pro like Negan said. This is the kinda thing you don't wanna fuck around with, I'll quote one of the foremost medical intellects of our time - "It'th thpinal!"

I've seen them heal through isometric loading of the lower back paired with strengthening of.the core and lower body muscles. Avoid anything that loads the spine too heavily through a wide ROM.

First off get check out by a professional, go to physio to relieve some of the inflammation and swelling and to learn proper stretches and strengthening exercises . Do core and low back exercises . Work out light and more smarter when dr approves . Still stay active and movement is important when you’re ready. there is a time when you need to rest but you can’t just use it as an excuse to do nothing. I’ve had 2 back surgeries and every disc in my spine from neck to lower back is herniated. I was told I would be on full disability but I refused to accept that . I might not like my job all the time but I enjoy the routine of going to work and feel productive . I work full time and still work out five days a week . I don’t lift like I used to and took a long time to accept that it I’m grateful that I’m able to still do the thing I love doing . I’m more lean and muscular these days . There are times when I can’t workout and need to rest so I don’t push through it I listen to my body.

Herniations suck. They are as much of a mental battle (if not more) than a physical one. I've had 2 episodes of popping them in my lower back. It's about a year journey to getting back to pre-herniated lifting. I wish someone had told me that while I battled mentally for months. I'll never be the 100% I was before but I'm close and able to function without pain or fear of doing it again. It forces a mental shift with lifting too. The weights drop a bit but that doesn't mean the workouts are any less intense.

Tell your friend to focus on pain free movements. Any movement is good. The worst thing he can do is shut down and become sedentary. He will be tighter than a nun on Sunday. The area needs blood flow. Depending on where the disk is herniated and which direction it has gone the exercises for rehab will be different. There is no one exercise fixes all. Mine were mostly posterior so I had to do a lot of "cobra" type stretching and focusing on regaining lumbar extension.

Recovery is not linear and there will be times it flares back up while it heals. This is ok. Totally normal.

It's a hell of a grind but we are resilient and our body's are capable of more than we think.

Chin up, keep moving, stay positive.