Calisthenics

Rocky

Trusted Member
Ever since I stopped bodybuilding I’ve been trying to find a different workout / training style or sport for exercise

anyone do calisthenics?

if so how did it affect your body composition vs the typical bodybuilding workouts

Ever since I stopped bodybuilding I’ve been trying to find a different workout / training style or sport for exercise

anyone do calisthenics?

if so how did it affect your body composition vs the typical bodybuilding workouts
So why have you stopped moving iron?

So why have you stopped moving iron?
Just doesnt feel as fun as before and I was looking for workouts to stay lean year round with, get more agile, increase cardiovascular fitness

Just doesnt feel as fun as before and I was looking for workouts to stay lean year round with, get more agile, increase cardiovascular fitness
Were you in fact squatting to a reasonable depth?
I suspect you weren't seeing much progress and squatting is a must.

In university used to train at school and there were a few high level gymnasts around. Never seen guys who are so strong and so lean.

Crossfit incorporates some lifting, gymnastics, and calisthenics. I tried it and liked the Olympic lifts but not so much burpees and shit.

Maybe give that a try.

Were you in fact squatting to a reasonable depth?
I suspect you weren't seeing much progress and squatting is a must.
I never really liked squating, havnt done them in years

I just found with a typical bodybuilding workout doesn’t increase your agility/endurance/flexibility like an athlete would have

I never really liked squating, havnt done them in years

I just found with a typical bodybuilding workout doesn’t increase your agility/endurance/flexibility like an athlete would have
My ex did martial arts for decades.
She could do the splits.
Could not get into a good squat stance
Tom Platz could do the splits
Football players squat
Hockey players squat
Sprinters squat
You have to learn to love to squat
Then your bodyweight will increase

In university used to train at school and there were a few high level gymnasts around. Never seen guys who are so strong and so lean.

Crossfit incorporates some lifting, gymnastics, and calisthenics. I tried it and liked the Olympic lifts but not so much burpees and shit.

Maybe give that a try.
Yea I noticed athletes/gymnastics/calisthenics guys are fairly lean, I’ll try mixing workouts up to see how it goes

My ex did martial arts for decades.
She could do the splits.
Could not get into a good squat stance
Tom Platz could do the splits
Football players squat
Hockey players squat
Sprinters squat
You have to learn to love to squat
Then your bodyweight will increase

now that you mention it, maybe I’ll try to get into martial arts/boxing workouts

I found squats to never really do much for me, I could do other exercises which built my legs better without the stress on the lower back and knees. Sometimes I’d do smith squats but still preferred the leg press.
I’d have to load the bar up with a lot of weight to feel it in my legs, but then a lot of stress would go into the lower back.

Yea I noticed athletes/gymnastics/calisthenics guys are fairly lean, I’ll try mixing workouts up to see how it goes

now that you mention it, maybe I’ll try to get into martial arts/boxing workouts

I found squats to never really do much for me, I could do other exercises which built my legs better without the stress on the lower back and knees. Sometimes I’d do smith squats but still preferred the leg press.
I’d have to load the bar up with a lot of weight to feel it in my legs, but then a lot of stress would go into the lower back.
boxing, kickboxing or a grappling sport are great because they are both aerobic and anaerobic at the same time. Plus you get to learn something while working out so its not boring like straight cardio. another plus is that you can modify to fit your age.

Nothing wrong with CrossFit as long as you reduce the volume and weight a ton

Are you getting lazy, Rocky? Burned out, maybe? You can get a great workout by simply going to a public park and fooling around on the monkey bars. Hit Youtube for some workouts and in the winter hit a Crossfit gym that has a climbing wall and bars of various types. You may start to enjoy your workouts again. I know a lady who used to be on the boards that is only doing callisthenics now and her body is still awesome.

Martial Arts, eh? Major commitment to them if you want to use them to get in shape. Not an overnight change.

Are you getting lazy, Rocky? Burned out, maybe? You can get a great workout by simply going to a public park and fooling around on the monkey bars. Hit Youtube for some workouts and in the winter hit a Crossfit gym that has a climbing wall and bars of various types. You may start to enjoy your workouts again. I know a lady who used to be on the boards that is only doing callisthenics now and her body is still awesome.

Martial Arts, eh? Major commitment to them if you want to use them to get in shape. Not an overnight change.

haha I will admit, lifting heavy weight is a lot tiring than lifting lighter weight, that’s probably one of the reasons I want to switch. With stuff like pull-ups/pushup/sit up workouts I could recover in a day and do it again. But with a typical bodybuilder workout I need a few days to reco

I wanna stay at a lower bodyweight too and not get high in body weight, be lighter on my feet and more agile/athletic

I might just add in some cardiovascular exercise for now

One workout if u like boxing is jumping rope. Very cardio vascular, and once you get good at it u can do doubles triples crosses ... looks real cool at the gym. Very few do it cause to get the hang of it it takes a while and is quite hard.

One workout if u like boxing is jumping rope. Very cardio vascular, and once you get good at it u can do doubles triples crosses ... looks real cool at the gym. Very few do it cause to get the hang of it it takes a while and is quite hard.
I thought about jumping rope but I’m the type of guy who needs to have a phone going while doing cardio to get through it.
Makes cardio a breeze, I used to do an hour a day on the treadmill, and stayed lean even when bulking. I’ll try working back to that.

I thought about jumping rope but I’m the type of guy who needs to have a phone going while doing cardio to get through it.
Makes cardio a breeze, I used to do an hour a day on the treadmill, and stayed lean even when bulking. I’ll try working back to that.
Use Bluetooth ear buds and pair them with ur phone. Then u will have no prob sight the music

Use Bluetooth ear buds and pair them with ur phone. Then u will have no prob sight the music
Tried skipping this morning
I think doing cardio work was a good idea in my head lol, felt like dying after 15 minutes

maybe I’ll stick to weights

Tried skipping this morning
I think doing cardio work was a good idea in my head lol, felt like dying after 15 minutes

maybe I’ll stick to weights
haha ... I know how it feels ... first time and the next 10 are a bitch... lol... I really dislike cardio

haha ... I know how it feels ... first time and the next 10 are a bitch... lol... I really dislike cardio
Haha I’ll try again tomorrow, I noticed I got used to cardio on the treadmill after the first few days. Maybe it’ll work with skipping

really finding it hard to keep motivated to keep working out, so I’m trying to mix it up. maybe I over trained and burned myself out though. Was doing 2-3 Dorian style workouts a day for the past 2 weeks

Last edited:
Reactions: PGM
I find if I day dream in my head, and pace my breathing, cardio is way less painful.
Breathe to a pattern, like, in, out,out, in, out,out, In, out,out.

Then you will focus on the breathing.
As for cardio, I’d likely start out on treadmill, then once you get to what my wife does, 6 mph for 30 min, going up to 8 to jog a few times, then you can do skipping, lol.

Btw, I do 3.7 mph :)

Haha I’ll try again tomorrow, I noticed I got used to cardio on the treadmill after the first few days. Maybe it’ll work with skipping

really finding it hard to keep motivated to keep working out, so I’m trying to mix it up. maybe I over trained and burned myself out though. Was doing 2-3 Dorian style workouts a day for the past 2 weeks

Rocky when you are skipping stay light on your feet. If you develop a lightness skipping is a great activity.