Booked my CANFIT exam

OTFJOEY

Trusted Member
Been posting a lot lately; I’ve devoted everything in my life to my passions recently; it’s a bit step making a career switch , and everything in my life has led me back to my passions which is training, and anything to do with it. I’ve had a few clients under me in the past, but nothing involving this type of certification or an ACTUAL business. I’m currently building a business plan, and in 5 years I’d like to either already have my own gym, or be well on my way to it…

That being said to work under a friend of mine in his studio, I gotta get this fuckin good life bullshit over with just to be in the national registry, jumping through hoops.

Anybody in here do this yet? What should I be paying the most attention to. I did health science in college when I wanted to be a nurse, so I’m not completely oblivious to professional and medical terminology, I did fairly well back then actually. I guess it helps when you actually enjoy the topic.

I don’t want to say ALL of my eggs are in this basket, but that’s pretty much the case. This may involve having to do a show or two down the road just to have that experience and be able to take somebody else through one. I’ll be on here a lot in the future I feel….

Good luck. As long as you are prepared to donate your life to your business you will succeed. If you think you will work less, bwahaaa.
I am willing to donate my life to my business. At least for long enough to the point where it can keep itself afloat! Which is the ultimate best case outcome. Don’t wanna set the bar too high I have a long ass fuckin way to go.

I am willing to donate my life to my business. At least for long enough to the point where it can keep itself afloat! Which is the ultimate best case outcome. Don’t wanna set the bar too high I have a long ass fuckin way to go.
Oh, you will always need to put in a bit more effort, even after it’s sucessful.
Mind you I’m a shitty manager, I know guys who can set up their business and put people in charge.
I don’t know if they are doing a wicked job, but they seem to be making money.

I used to be super greedy and work insane hours to keep all the money to myself.
It was fun buying a new high end car every two years for cash, but I sacrificed a lot. That was back in Edmonton. I told myself once we got going here I’d pay extra staff and mellow a bit, and I do. I go in at 7am and leave at 3 pm. One 30 min lunch break. But I still go in on our closed day and change the smokehouse, defrost product, I go back twice a week at 8 pm to change the smokehouse over at minimum. During busy times I go back every day sometimes once at 8 again at 1 am.

If something big needs to be repaired like the epoxy floor, I’m doing it on long weekends when we close the extra day.

Anyhow you get my drift.

Get ready to work 80 weeks for about 15-20 years. And you’ll think about it on your off time, lol.

I’d be watching a tv show, then something would get triggered and I’d design an ad to sell something in my head because of the trigger.

Here is a huge piece of advice. Write your ideas down. If not you will forget them. If you can’t sleep because you keep thinking, mulling it over in your mind, get up write it down, it will clear your mind so you can sleep, or masterbate, lol.

Shit my wife and I would be coming up with ideas while drinking at the pub and we’d use whatever was handy, napkins, coasters, lol. I’d get up the next morning and find it in my pockets, now we have phones but this was a couple of decades ago.

Also make a broad long term plan, then a couple short term goals. I find without you realizing you will work toward your goals if you have a long term plan.

Morning - I know a few coaches locally and they barely make a living. They have a full time job and then do it on the side for some spending money. Keep in mind, they aren't training rich people who will pay ridiculous amounts. They train regular guys and gals who need help at the gym. They work all day and then live at the gym at night helping people through their routines. Not saying don't do it but keeping it realistic - I have no idea how they have a life as they are always at the gym when I was going to the gym vs. working out at home.

There are a few guys who coach high level competitors but those gents I know do it online/phone, competed at a high level, are very well known, and get paid well. They worked a long time to build that reputation and are experts in nutrition, compounds and biomechanics. We have a coach here, @Funnyman, who is a bargain for what you get. I have not hired him but from what people say he forgot more than most know.
If you want to hire one of the guys I mentioned for a prep, your looking at 5-10,000. Some guys hire coaches year round and those are the clients who keep you going year round - from what I'm told.

If its a passion - do it but be prepared to work long hours to build up your business.

Morning - I know a few coaches locally and they barely make a living. They have a full time job and then do it on the side for some spending money. Keep in mind, they aren't training rich people who will pay ridiculous amounts. They train regular guys and gals who need help at the gym. They work all day and then live at the gym at night helping people through their routines. Not saying don't do it but keeping it realistic - I have no idea how they have a life as they are always at the gym when I was going to the gym vs. working out at home.

There are a few guys who coach high level competitors but those gents I know do it online/phone, competed at a high level, are very well known, and get paid well. They worked a long time to build that reputation and are experts in nutrition, compounds and biomechanics. We have a coach here, @Funnyman, who is a bargain for what you get. I have not hired him but from what people say he forgot more than most know.
If you want to hire one of the guys I mentioned for a prep, your looking at 5-10,000. Some guys hire coaches year round and those are the clients who keep you going year round - from what I'm told.

If its a passion - do it but be prepared to work long hours to build up your business.
Thanks for the insightful response goldenrod, as I feel we all know a couple struggling trainers or coaches who barely make ends meet… my plan is to full on coach eventually, work with pro’s; help put together protocols. Even possibly, make those connections for them? Lol you know; it’s already a very busy existence some days when I’m plagued with msgs from friends and my clients and some “customers” I guess you could say; I do the best I can but truly if I had some more knowledge, certifications (so nobody can really say you didn’t do it) , and experience with shows and prep I feel like I’d have so much more happening in the realm of business growth, and financial gain. I’m not “scraping by” right now; and I suppose I have some financial support (more of a financial cushion) for the next few years to accomplish these things

Oh, you will always need to put in a bit more effort, even after it’s sucessful.
Mind you I’m a shitty manager, I know guys who can set up their business and put people in charge.
I don’t know if they are doing a wicked job, but they seem to be making money.

I used to be super greedy and work insane hours to keep all the money to myself.
It was fun buying a new high end car every two years for cash, but I sacrificed a lot. That was back in Edmonton. I told myself once we got going here I’d pay extra staff and mellow a bit, and I do. I go in at 7am and leave at 3 pm. One 30 min lunch break. But I still go in on our closed day and change the smokehouse, defrost product, I go back twice a week at 8 pm to change the smokehouse over at minimum. During busy times I go back every day sometimes once at 8 again at 1 am.

If something big needs to be repaired like the epoxy floor, I’m doing it on long weekends when we close the extra day.

Anyhow you get my drift.

Get ready to work 80 weeks for about 15-20 years. And you’ll think about it on your off time, lol.

I’d be watching a tv show, then something would get triggered and I’d design an ad to sell something in my head because of the trigger.

Here is a huge piece of advice. Write your ideas down. If not you will forget them. If you can’t sleep because you keep thinking, mulling it over in your mind, get up write it down, it will clear your mind so you can sleep, or masterbate, lol.

Shit my wife and I would be coming up with ideas while drinking at the pub and we’d use whatever was handy, napkins, coasters, lol. I’d get up the next morning and find it in my pockets, now we have phones but this was a couple of decades ago.

Also make a broad long term plan, then a couple short term goals. I find without you realizing you will work toward your goals if you have a long term plan.
It’s funny Sorbs, people say to me you seem to be doing alright, but for the number of hours I put in I’m sure I’m making just above minimum wage. Mind you the business is only in year six so we are still growing. But for sure can’t keep working like I am now.

I know two guys who make a living from it, but the one guy is at the gym training people at 5 am when I roll in and still training people into the evening. He trained my ex for a few months and was charging about $35-40 per session. Tough to make a living on that.

It’s funny Sorbs, people say to me you seem to be doing alright, but for the number of hours I put in I’m sure I’m making just above minimum wage. Mind you the business is only in year six so we are still growing. But for sure can’t keep working like I am now.
I made min wage or less for almost a decade. Now you made money because you killed yourself, and you get a car, and free gas, free other shit that you accidentally have work to pay for, lol.
Well you have to keep working like you are now, lol. No choice. Some days my feet hurt so bad I can hardly walk.
At the start I told myself that if shit wasn’t going pretty decent by year 10, I was quiting and finding another job. That would have made me 35, I started the company at 25 years old. I have had this place since 1995. Obviously I make decent money now, but I have friends that work for OPP that make more than me a year, full benefits, pension plan.
But I cannot complain, I never finished highschool, Im not super bright, but am good with my hands and was able to make money with them thru sweat equity.

At the end of the day; I just want to have something I built; that nobody can take away from me. If it’s something I have a passion for bonus; I’m lucky I have other opportunities in front of me, but my family never had money growing up. Anything I’ve ever wanted I had to go and get myself starting my first job at 13. Whether legal or not I always had some way to get by. The goal is stability. @Sorbate you don’t have any kids, right? I’d imagine if you had a couple minions running around things may have been different for you at times. I want one but I know I’m not ready. I turn 30 this year- The next 5 years are devoted to me and my future.

I know two guys who make a living from it, but the one guy is at the gym training people at 5 am when I roll in and still training people into the evening. He trained my ex for a few months and was charging about $35-40 per session. Tough to make a living on that.
The guys who do it in person that I know don't make enough to live unless they live at the gym like you said. The online guys who truly know what they are doing and help high level BBers can charge a lot.
People say if you do what you love, you never work a day in your life which may be true but I know the opposite ends of the spectrum and I much prefer where I am today. I can remember wondering if I could afford to get groceries and pay the rent when I was going to university and working security. I don't miss those days.