Best way to utilize lifting time.

Test4life

Trusted Member
Morning CB. Recently my boss put me on a job that is really fucking far from home. I lift in the a.m as it’s the only time in my schedule that works for me. This leaves me with 45 min to max an hour for lifting through the week. I’ve worked out a cycle that is Tuesday through Friday I’ll do 2-3 target areas, and Saturday Sunday hit everything hard, Monday rest. Do you guys see a better way for me to utilize my Tuesday through Friday ? Any input would be appreciated!

That sounds like a solid set up yea, you can get alot done in 45-60 minutes especially if you're training 5-6 days per week and don't dick around too much between sets

The split you do depends on your recovery ability, sounds to me like you're looking to do a moderate-high frequency approach based on what you said - so if you're able to do 6x per week you could potentially do an upper-lower split with low per session volume (i.e. 1-2 sets or 1 rest pause set per exercise) and still do enough total work during the week that way. I personally struggle to do 6 days a week if I'm training to failure so I think if it was me I'd probably do something like T: Push, W: Legs, T: Pull, F: off, S: Upper body, S: Lower body, M: off. There's a ton of different ways to do it, all depends on what you enjoy most and are able to recover from which only you will know :)

Morning CB. Recently my boss put me on a job that is really fucking far from home. I lift in the a.m as it’s the only time in my schedule that works for me. This leaves me with 45 min to max an hour for lifting through the week. I’ve worked out a cycle that is Tuesday through Friday I’ll do 2-3 target areas, and Saturday Sunday hit everything hard, Monday rest. Do you guys see a better way for me to utilize my Tuesday through Friday ? Any input would be appreciated!
And maybe kill the guy sitting at a spot, cooling down for 3 minutes after a single set of 7 reps. There should be legal Gymtracide for people who won't flipping move off a machine while they cool down.

If I read correct, you do 4 days doing 2 body parts each day and then train your whole body on two days and take one day off?
If that is correct, it doesn't sound like enough rest to me. 60 minutes is more than enough to get a push, pull or leg day in if you don't take 5 minute breaks between sets.
Recently I started reducing my time between sets and the weight I lift went down a bit but it is coming back up - just a change for the body to get used to.
I can only train two days in a row and then I need a day off to recuperate. I don't understand how people work out 6 days a week unless they don't really tax themselves. That was not a slight against you, maybe if I was younger and on a bunch of gear I could but after two days of working out hard, my body is telling me it needs to rest.
I love the PPL system and I and go two days on and one off. I tried three days on and 1 off and I wasn't getting enough rest.

If it is working for you and you are growing / getting stronger keep doing what your doing. If you aren't try something new. I am going to stick with PPL until I plateau which I haven't yet.

Good luck!

If I read correct, you do 4 days doing 2 body parts each day and then train your whole body on two days and take one day off?
If that is correct, it doesn't sound like enough rest to me. 60 minutes is more than enough to get a push, pull or leg day in if you don't take 5 minute breaks between sets.
Recently I started reducing my time between sets and the weight I lift went down a bit but it is coming back up - just a change for the body to get used to.
I can only train two days in a row and then I need a day off to recuperate. I don't understand how people work out 6 days a week unless they don't really tax themselves. That was not a slight against you, maybe if I was younger and on a bunch of gear I could but after two days of working out hard, my body is telling me it needs to rest.
I love the PPL system and I and go two days on and one off. I tried three days on and 1 off and I wasn't getting enough rest.

If it is working for you and you are growing / getting stronger keep doing what your doing. If you aren't try something new. I am going to stick with PPL until I plateau which I haven't yet.

Good luck!
Thanks for the response @Goldenrod . And yes, that’s correct. Most days through the week I get 40-45 min, might get an hour here or there but that’s if I’m really on it in the morning lol. Just for the record this is not my typical schedule, but due to a change in my job site I had to make a change. I train to failure each workout, just my preference. I’m m on a blast right now, so I want to utilize my lifting time. I’m going to continue this way, I’m only 3 weeks into the change and things are going well. And I’m 32 so I still have a few good years to go hard 🤣