Anyone have experiece with a bicep tear?

TPM_81

Trusted Member
Hey folks, last Thursday I was doing a standing dumbbell lateral raise and heard the dreaded "velcro like" tear in my arm. I dropped the dumbbell immediately and felt a sharp pain in my bicep. I knew something was up but kept training around the injury and asking guys who had tore their bicep to take a look at mine and give me a bro diagnosis. It didn't start bruising until this Thursday. The bruise is directly over my Brachialis. I am not in any intense pain, but the bruising is getting worse. I tried to see a doctor but the wait was ridiculous so I'm continuing with ice and advil. My main concern is that I have a partial tear that's hanging on by a thread and I'm going to full on tear it if I continue training even while being cautious. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hmmm this sounds like what happened to me 8 months ago I was sparring and threw a right hand and tore my distal tendon pain was like a 2 out of 10 but ya same Velcro sound although I didn’t have bruising...........I had to get surgery......hook your finger under ur tendon and see if it’s there mine was gone but the only foraure way to know what’s up is go to your doctor and he’ll send you for a MRI but completely distal tendon rupture wasn’t very painful either so it had me in denial I literally finished the round than hit the bag for a round and left

It’s a free surgery you go in a cast for 8 weeks than about 6 months of rehab and that ull be back lifting again......lifting heavy anyways ull be able to work around it rn i barely took time off

Omg please go to a doctor ASAP, even if it’s not crazy bad, I was cringing the whole time reading your post and 403mauithai’s... a torn anything isn’t anything to play with.

I could call a sport clinic at a university, they get you in fast for a MRI.
The sports doctors, work for sports teams. You will be in the right hands with a sports doctor.

Omg please go to a doctor ASAP, even if it’s not crazy bad, I was cringing the whole time reading your post and 403mauithai’s... a torn anything isn’t anything to play with.

OMG so many jokes, I picked a bad day to give up tryna being funny.

Pass your GP. Go to the ER. A torn muscle, well covered under *HIP, can lead to Rhabdomyolysis if untreated; this can damage your kidneys, permanently. Stop taking NSAID's (painkillers like ibuprofen, acetaminophen, etc.), which reduce inflammation; get imaging done. Yes, the wait fucking sucks. Yes you'll be at the ER for awhile, you'll be put in RAZ or be triaged more urgently. Yes, it's worth the the Diagnosis. If you actually tore a muscle, an improper diagnosis will suck for a lot longer than half a day @ the ER. If you feel a "snap" go see a doctor. There's no condition in which a snap doesn't necessitate medical attention IMHO.

Last edited:
Completely tore my distal bicep tendon a few years ago. Best to get it looked at asap because if it is and you want to have it reattached you need to have surgery as soon as possible. Best case is to have surgery within days of injury. Doctor fuck ups dragged mine to the 2 week mark but everything is healed up fine now. Get it looked at asap.

Thanks for the replies guys, I went to ER and saw a really good doctor who didn't talk to me like I'm roid abusing moron(happens a lot when you live in small town NS). He says my tear is in the long head of the bicep. He got me into to see an Orthopedic Surgeon tomorrow at 9am. Stay tuned for updates.

Question for you guys that tore a bi.
1. when you do deadlifts, is that the arm you do underhand grip with? If you do deads
2. We’re you getting any pain or soreness in the bi for weeks ir months before hand and just assume that was how it was?

I have nothing wrong with my bicep, it just more for curosity, if something arises.
so msinly I’m wonder if in hindsight you went, shit, I should have let it rest because I knew something wasn’t right/

Both of the Orthopedic Doctors (surgeons) I've seen have been great guys, one even let me watch my outpatient surgery (on the obvious assumption that it would in no way compromise my prognosis). They're good people, and you're in good hands. Heal quick!

Question for you guys that tore a bi.
1. when you do deadlifts, is that the arm you do underhand grip with? If you do deads
2. We’re you getting any pain or soreness in the bi for weeks ir months before hand and just assume that was how it was?

I have nothing wrong with my bicep, it just more for curosity, if something arises.
so msinly I’m wonder if in hindsight you went, shit, I should have let it rest because I knew something wasn’t right/
There was 0 indication that it was going to pop for me. Never had pain or any kind of weakness. It didn't affect my deads either (regardless of grip) for the short time I was able to return to them. On occasion I get a bit of pain where the tear was when I'm doing rows but being that it's my dominant arm that could very well just be from taking a bit more of the load.

There was 0 indication that it was going to pop for me. Never had pain or any kind of weakness. It didn't affect my deads either (regardless of grip) for the short time I was able to return to them. On occasion I get a bit of pain where the tear was when I'm doing rows but being that it's my dominant arm that could very well just be from taking a bit more of the load.
When you do deads the arm that tore is it your underhand grip arm?

I tore mine last year (there are posts on here from me about it).

You are on limited time if it's torn due to the tendons as they don't want to have to borrow from your leg, etc. once it's no longer viable to use your original in your arm.

I opted to leave mine and use it almost normally now but it peaks slightly differently than the other.

They will put you on the ER waiting list and do the surgery asap if it needs it.

Better hurry & good luck,

OD