Anybody have any good anger managment techniques or books?

I worked with a kid years ago (when you get to be my age, everything happened years ago)who had the worst anger management I have encountered. He was 11 to 14 when I was his case manager. ADHD, OCD and the beginning of the spiral to ODD and conduct disorder. Without getting into details about his history, I can say he had a lot to be angry with in his life. He was restrained daily for, give or take, a year. All the techniques I tried to teach him did not work until years later.
He found me on Facebook, and I accepted him as a friend. He told me he admired me and wanted to emulate my behaviour but couldn't get out of his anger cycle. What helped him was he decided to take a deep look at his patterns of behaviour and discovered he looked stupid and childish (his words). Through his introspection, he didn't like what he saw, which was the first step to managing his anger.
He now owns a contracting company and is doing well.
We often have to look at our behaviour and decide if we like what we see.

I wouldn't call it immature, some folks have shit in their life you may never be able to relate to nor imagine.
The importance is self awareness and seeking a change.
Many things bring many folks to points they go to,Some within and some not within their immediate control....
BUT the important thing is recognizing it and seeking help, to say it is immature lacks depth and life experience, that is not immature to realize it and try and change it.
However carrying on like this and never seeing what you are, needs extra help and MAY be immature or Narcissism etc. Many, many things.

The book may be good for many folks, but just because someone has no temper does not make them above anyone in maturity, in fact at times it is the opposite...
MOM i'm home, is the basement ready for me and my sheltered life and view of life....
That’s your opinion.

My opinion is there is a lack of life experience and immaturity to resort to punching holes in the walls and that can happen at any stage in life

I’m not saying I don’t have a temper- everyone does.

Good on the OP to recognize a need for change.

N
That’s your opinion.

My opinion is there is a lack of life experience and immaturity to resort to punching holes in the walls and that can happen at any stage in life

No, it is fact for majority of mature educated folks... Not my opinion.
judging someone and calling a name is never mature so ...Pot, meet kettle...
. Folks have items they go through that no one knows about...
There are techniques that are taught by highly educated folks to punch a wall, or yell at an object, or whatever , rather than punching a hole through someones body, that is also fact..

Learning to meditate definitely helped to change my life in matters of emotions whether that be stress or anger etc. But the thing that REALLY made the difference in my life was feeling responsible. Responsibility to always put my best foot forward for my girlfriend, friends, family, colleagues you name it. To be a leader and a good role model. Granted sometimes anger can be warranted and required, but I try not to let my emotions rule me and as result it doesn't go too far out of hand.

I recognize which of the 3 fears I have.....

1. Fear of losing something that I have
2. Fear of not getting what I want
3. Fear of getting in shit for something I said or did

Then I analyze which of my 4 basic instincts I perceive to be threatened then act from there.

That’s your opinion.

I respect your opinion brother but its not a one size fits all thing, maybe some yea but I'm pretty mature just when life's getting the absolute worst of me I see red. I'm talking seriously stressful situation upon situation and I reach a boiling point. Anyone who doesn't let out their anger is going to direct it at themselves lime depression etc, I'm really well versed in assertiveness and all that so what do you do when you see red?

Well a little different take on it I guess.

Is it good for people to be able to control their anger as they get older and have more life experience? Of course, simple logic confirms that.

But I find as I get older I have less patience for peoples bull shit. No time for it at all. I call people out immediately on their crap and truly hope that that’s where it will end but idiots keep flapping their lips and I just come fucking unglued. I really really really really don’t have time for idiots. Shut the fuck up or you’ll pay.

Proper? Mature? Appropriate? Probably not but that’s who I am and as I get older I honestly and sincerely don’t care what others think about me. If you don’t like it fuck off is my attitude. Just being honest.

Is it good for people to be able to control their anger as they get older and have more life experience? Of course, simple logic confirms that.

But I find as I get older I have less patience for peoples bull shit. No time for it at all. I call people out immediately on their crap and truly hope that that’s where it will end but idiots keep flapping their lips and I just come fucking unglued. I really really really really don’t have time for idiots. Shut the fuck up or you’ll pay.

Proper? Mature? Appropriate? Probably not but that’s who I am and as I get older I honestly and sincerely don’t care what others think about me. If you don’t like it fuck off is my attitude. Just being honest.

And I’m on a lot of test at the moment so that doesn’t help lol

N

No, it is fact for majority of mature educated folks... Not my opinion.
judging someone and calling a name is never mature so ...Pot, meet kettle...
. Folks have items they go through that no one knows about...
There are techniques that are taught by highly educated folks to punch a wall, or yell at an object, or whatever , rather than punching a hole through someones body, that is also fact..
Okay over analyze my response all you want and add whatever you want to as “fact” from educated people. Immature is a general comment and can be interpreted different by every person. It ain’t black and white.

My comments are for punching holes in the wall. As a kid majority of kids start learning what’s right and wrong from months old. Don’t do this, don’t do that, items get taken away. You learn social behaviour early in most cases. You learn what’s right and wrong starting early and it goes with aging. People progress at different stages. But it’s precisely why we don’t see people punching holes in walls at work, at homes, in public. @Jerbear this is not a slight at you but just saying my opinion cause @ironwill took something and essentially blew it a little bigger for my use of the word immature.

What’s immature to some maybe not for another. My reference is solely for the punching holes in the wall.

If you care to PM me feel free let’s not destroy a thread with a back and forth we disagree on it’s only forum garbage.

I hear you, some days i feel like Fred Sanford from Sanford and Son.....Or my wife might say I look and act like Archie Bunker. She reminds me of Edith, red hair and all...It gets weird as we age i agree....lol

Not to overly involve me in this debate of wall hitting, I have never been taught to have a client punch a wall in any of the Anger Management training I have had. My reasons for not doing so are the potential for injury to the hand and a possible lead into escalation to hitting someone. In addition, a hand injury could keep people off work and kids out of sports which is detrimental to holistic well-being, which is what I aimed for with my clients, both kids and adults.
Food for thought?

1656535510597.png

Not to overly involve me in this debate of wall hitting, I have never been taught to have a client punch a wall in any of the Anger Management training I have had. My reasons for not doing so are the potential for injury to the hand and a possible lead into escalation to hitting someone. In addition, a hand injury could keep people off work and kids out of sports which is detrimental to holistic well-being, which is what I aimed for with my clients, both kids and adults.
Food for thought?

View attachment 43734
Good stuff, I respect your views and advice always. I may not have had the best Therapists when in my teens..lol..I know a few others as well that also had this explained and taught to them.

BTW, i have zero anger issues now, i am quite the opposite, i will react when disrespected and put into a corner or antagonized to the point of pretty much no return.
HOWEVER, when i was in my early years up until about 17 yrs old, i was out of control, no need to go into details, but it was bad. I was taught to remove myself and my rage was so bad it would not end for many hours at times.
I was taught to stop hitting people, and go to the bush and yell, lol..True story, hit an object if need be, not a Wall per se, but anything that would allow me to vent that full cup of steam off. I had several techniques i utilized and they sometimes worked, sometimes i was expelled from school, to the point i was kicked out of 3 different schools and 2 full school divisions. It was a heck of a time in my life.
I grew out of it, and utilized techniques, and went to gym and took classes for defense and offense and on and on. Became someone that rarely, if ever loses control, and if i do...I beat myself up more than anyone else ever could mentally, dissapointed with myself and feel like i lost.
When i am put in a situation, i stay in control and wait and wait and then when i can no longer talk or reason my way around it, i do what i need to do.
That is a very rare occasion. BUT, i also do not hang out with the same group in the same places i did, where at times you do not have a choice.
The tactics and teachings over many, many years helped, gym helped, classes for defense and offense helped and maturing and forgiving, and letting shit go also helped.

Either way, i am just saying...Not to be right... but saying these techniques were taught to me, and i know several others taught similar techniques by other therapists not the same one as me.
Anyway, i have never been a jealous person, never been a controlling person, never been any of the other items in the top article, i had my own things going on, and worked through them, but i was very normal and well behaved in respect for people, and ladies and overall good fella..Until my chink in my armor was disturbed..It is no longer a chink...
I absolutely do not feel in some cases it is a maturity issue, it is however a deep rooted thing that some folks carry with them. Some take control and utilize the energy positively;y like myself in career and gym, and hobbies and life. Some have not taken that path and end up in trouble and need help and techniques and assistance from experienced. It is not a simple thing for many..

Food for thought?

View attachment 43734
Awesome man thanks for the info. No I don't agree with punching walls or any type of aggressive behavior it doesn't respect the family home and could scare your friends and family. I just described my anger style that some may or may not relate to in hopes of finding some good coping techniques. Maybe at worse I'd recommend hitting a punching but even that is a bit off, if your so angry you have to punch things then maybe a change in life is needed. Just what I meant about my situation is sometimes I burst and feel put of control. Punch wise. Meditation might be a big game changer

@Bagua your very knowledgeable in this professionally. That's cool I like that kind of stuff I actually studied social service work in college. I remember what I was taught but implementing it at crunch time is different. I'm not being a dick at all I'm very thankful for your input, I just have a question, in all honesty and fairness, have you had extreme hardship and been pushed to the point of expressing g your anger in a not so healthy way and had the chance to make a change to your behavior or has "seeing red" style anger something you havnt necessarily experienced a lot or?

@Bagua your very knowledgeable in this professionally. That's cool I like that kind of stuff I actually studied social service work in college. I remember what I was taught but implementing it at crunch time is different. I'm not being a dick at all I'm very thankful for your input, I just have a question, in all honesty and fairness, have you had extreme hardship and been pushed to the point of expressing g your anger in a not so healthy way and had the chance to make a change to your behavior or has "seeing red" style anger something you havnt necessarily experienced a lot or?
Yep. If anyone went near my ex-wife way back in the day, I reacted with anger. She had a knack for calming me down. It was terrible because I was doing a lot of de-escalation training and therapy work at the time. Also, when I was a kid and had a bad game and scored on a lot, I would get nasty with my stick.

Yep. If anyone went near my ex-wife way back in the day, I reacted with anger. She had a knack for calming me down. It was terrible because I was doing a lot of de-escalation training and therapy work at the time. Also, when I was a kid and had a bad game and scored on a lot, I would get nasty with my stick.
Nice, yea your right. Actually since starting this thread I've used a few things and they've worked, breathing techniques too. Slow your heart and lower your BP if you can focus enough and it'll change the entire perspective

I dont always go nuts maybe 2 or 3 times a year. It's only when the perfect storm of events happen so perfectly that all the triggers are aligned so I hope people don't think I'm just throwing hissy fits all day. I just mean it does happen and in those times it's nice to have some tools. Thanks gents

“Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom.”

This quote was a pivotal moment for me and pops into my head every time.

If I'm in control then I get to choose how I will respond.
If instead I react, then if it's not me in control, then who is? The one pissing me off.

The idea of my reactions being manipulated by some asshole pisses me off even more, but in cool, calculating way.

“Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom.”

This quote was a pivotal moment for me and pops into my head every time.

If I'm in control then I get to choose how I will respond.
If instead I react, then if it's not me in control, then who is? The one pissing me off.

The idea of my reactions being manipulated by some asshole pisses me off even more, but in cool, calculating way.
I am very much appreciating every line, good points, will let them sink in. IME experience most of the time the space is more than ample time to choose, I just don't always use it well.

Last edited: