Zinc and liver function

Goldenrod

Staff member

Been battling a cold/flu for a month now. It is almost gone but was a nasty one. Reading in my books and on the internet to see besides the typical Vitamin D, C, Zinc, Selenium for a virus, olive lead extract, etc. if any new products were being studied. I was pretty desperate as the antibiotics I was given caused severe stomach pain and without a doctor, it can be hard to get help unless you have a spare 6 hours. I do not take those 5 year round but take vitamin D all year long except for the summer when I get enough from the sun.

I did not put oregano oil down in the list above as it has never done anything to get better quicker or help with symptoms. I never found vitamin C did much either except the injectable form I use to buy and inject a few times a day - I did notice I 'appeared' to get better quicker. No science to that statement, just an observation.

Reading up on zinc last night and I know I read this before but forgot the impact of zinc on the liver - favourable impact. If you do some research you may be surprised how much it can help especially in halting further damage. Again, just comments from reading articles and my Naturopathic books.
Truth be told I never really used zinc until I started taking copper peptide because I read you should take it together.

Just more info for anyone pushing the envelope or has a liver issue. Please do your own research and read some of the studies as this is not medical advice.

I hate being sick and would do just about anything, if safe, to help avoid the nasty chest infections I get. Olive Leaf extract, which I find ironic, works better than any other supplement for chest infections if you don't go the pharmaceutical route.

Food for thought - GR

Flonase 2 squirts 2 times a day with 10 mg of calaritin really helps with sinus infections and chest infections. That was all I was prescribed last time I got a sinus infection from a lingering cold.

Oh and cleaning your nasal pasages with a nettie pot of something like that.

I know yours was a chest issue, but trying this wouldn't hurt. I looked up both flonase and claritin and both have no long term effects.

Other then what you meantioned, apple cider vinegar, Tymosin alpha 1, nac, astragalus, oregano oil, gallons of green tea and bone broth. I know you will do your own research
sorry @Cheapshot - having a hard time understanding what you are saying. Please explain so I can follow. It is too late and I probably just missed something obvious.
thanks

I thought you were sick. Just giving you suggestions that have worked for me
appreciated, now that I read it a second time I see what you are saying and thanks. I am over this damn cold that knocked me down for close to a month. Luckily, I can work from home and most of my work is phone convo related with some in person visits each week. I just cancelled the in person visits but worked through the cold with the exception of one week. Whatever it was, it was the worst cold/flu I can remember. It was way worse that Covid which I had twice and just took it easy and was fine other than it impacting my lungs a bit.

thanks for the suggestions.

Nasal saline rinses, steroid puffers for breathing issues.
Once your already sick, other than antibiotics (Z pack) i find personally that rest, hydration, multivitamins and continued good nutrition makes it resolve best.
Nothing else has really made a difference for me. Ive tried extra vit c, vit d, oil of oregano, indian hot pepper, zinc, cold fx and maybe a few other home remedies i dont recall.

What's crazy is I never got sick before but I went back to university recently and can't seem to not get sick, really unsure of the cause except lack of sleep and hooking up with girls that are also sick often doesn't help

my go to is vitamin d and zinc, I personally found vitamin c to work as well, albeit I take quite a bit when I am sick, usually 3g a day, I remember Milos Sarcev actually recommending to take 3g a day year round if I remember correctly. Zinc wise I take 50mg and vitamin d I've actually pulled back on, previously I would take 5000iu a day but I have had blood tests where my vitamin d was high and you have to be careful with fat soluble vitamins since they don't get excreted quickly, any toxic level of fat soluble vitamins (or iron) takes a really long time to excrete.

also it depends if I have a viral infection or bacterial infection, if its bacterial I try to get on antibiotics as soon as possible although I am hesitant as antibiotics have a lot of side effects, but at the same time I can't risk getting extremely sick right now due to studies, I have a big bottle of azithromycin and its just 6 tablets each round of antibiotics. It's kind of stupid in my opinion how you need a prescription for antibiotics in Canada, in Thailand you can go to any pharmacy and get a round of antibiotics for a few dollars. I don't have the time to sit in a walk in clinic for hours while I'm extremely sick only for the doctor to tell me to drink more water and to come back in a week if it doesn't get better, so the big bottle of azithromycin has been worth every penny

also, one interesting thing I found is a lot of the cough medication in Canada actually has a cough inducing drug in it, really odd actually, it's supposed to help with phlegm excretion but it causes issues when its making you cough all day, in USA they don't have that in their day quill, the only one I've found that doesn't contain this is "Buckleys Dry Cough" which only contains the cough suppressant. Perhaps that's why when covid came around everyone got it since the cough medication in Canada has a drug that makes you cough non stop all day, but I'm not a conspiracy theorist, I do find it extremely odd though that the USA formulations don't have this, while literally every single cough medication in Canada contains this, even when I was younger I always found taking cough medication only made my sickness worse and coughs much worse as well. If anyone is curious, the cough inducing drug is Guaifenesin, I looked at every bottle of cough medication and it contained this, aside from night time cough medications, but those contain sleep inducing drugs, so you can't take that during the day.

EDIT: re-read Milos sarcev's emails and it was actually 4000mg of vitamin c a day year round

if anyone is curious here's milos' supplement recommendations, albeit this was many years ago and it could have changed, he seems like one of the healthiest bodybuilders in my opinion, he's quite old, and pretty much the only person who competed in the 1990's that I know of who is still "bodybuilding" and not looking sick, he actually looks quite young for his age and doesn't have that muscle deterioration look like a lot do.
EFA's take 4-10 soft-gel (800 mg) capsules per day in divided doses throughout a day
CLA Take 3 to 4 soft gels (1000 mg each) per day, in divided doses (best if taken early in the day)
MULTIVITAMIN/MULTIMINERAL take one capsule daily as a dietary supplement, with your breakfast
B-COMPLEX Take 2 to 4 capsules (500 mg) per day with meals (preferably with first two meals of the day)
E-COMPLEX take 1 to 3 capsules (500 mg) per day, in divided doses, with meals.
VITAMIN C take 4 capsules (1000 mg each) per day, in divided doses, with meals PROBIOTIC take your regular kind (1-2 capsules per day)
FIBER add 1 packet (15 grams) of psyllium to 1 cup (8 oz or 250 ml) of warm water, first thing in the morning or before bedtime
ZMA Take 3 to 4 capsules before bed-time

Last edited:
also, one interesting thing I found is a lot of the cough medication in Canada actually has a cough inducing drug in it, really odd actually, it's supposed to help with phlegm excretion but it causes issues when its making you cough all day, in USA they don't have that in their day quill, the only one I've found that doesn't contain this is "Buckleys Dry Cough" which only contains the cough suppressant. Perhaps that's why when covid came around everyone got it since the cough medication in Canada has a drug that makes you cough non stop all day, but I'm not a conspiracy theorist, I do find it extremely odd though that the USA formulations don't have this, while literally every single cough medication in Canada contains this, even when I was younger I always found taking cough medication only made my sickness worse and coughs much worse as well. If anyone is curious, the cough inducing drug is Guaifenesin, I looked at every bottle of cough medication and it contained this, aside from night time cough medications, but those contain sleep inducing drugs, so you can't take that during the day.

I looked up Guaifenesin, and Wikipedia says it works by thinning the mucus; not by making you cough more.

Last edited:
I looked up Guaifenesin, and Wikipedia says it works by thinning the mucus; not by making you cough more.
Yep, I use it anytime I feel any "wet" cough coming on, pretty convinced it greatly speeds up the process. IMO it might prevent a host of potential lung issues , infections like pneumonia etc. the goop that forms in your inflamed air sacs has only one way out and if it gets to thick and jelly you can't cough it out, then it thrives. Thin it out and blow it out before it gets a good hold, at least that's my theory

I am not sure where I read it, maybe I even read it here, but you have to be a bit careful with zinc because too much can apparently lower your copper which can cause a lot of issues.

I have been taking 25mg zinc before bed for a couple years now, but I am going to reduce it to 25mg every second day.

I am not sure where I read it, maybe I even read it here, but you have to be a bit careful with zinc because too much can apparently lower your copper which can cause a lot of issues.
Hey, what a coincidence, I just started reading a human nutrition textbook last Sunday, and it talked about zinc interfering with iron absorption. It also said that iron deficiency is the world's most common nutrient deficiency.

And I googled it and yes, if you take zinc supplements Dr. Google recommends taking 2mg of copper along with it and a bunch of vitamin companies sell them in the same pill.

Off topic for liver, and more about protection from getting sick, but My understanding is that the zinc needs a driver to get into the cells to block out virus.
Hydroxy supposed to be best, but not OTC.
I take organic quercetin each morning with my zinc.
I take a quercetin and bromelaine combo product too @superbeast. Getting off topic of zinc but quercetin is a great supplement. I don't take it all the time but I did during major covid breakouts. I hate being sick with the cold and I had covid twice - can't state is quercetin helped but I was taking it before and during and for a month after. I deal with the public daily so it was inevitable I would get it so I added NAC, quercetin and bromelain daily. I cycle them anyway but I was taking them as part of a way to help my lungs as all cold/virus's hit my lungs.

Ironic - yesterday I received an article in my e-mail from a webpage I subscribe to called Quercetin: Your Metabolism's New Best Friend:

"
Quercetin is a polyphenol naturally occurring in many fruits, veggies, herbs & spices.It's been making headlines in recent months as researchers uncover its many health benefits.

Quercetin has long been known to support optimal immune system and cardiovascular functioning, but as public awareness of metabolic syndrome and its far reaching health effects continues to grow, the list of ways researchers have discovered quercetin can protect against metabolic damage and protect digestive health also grows!

A few of the many ways quercetin can support your wellbeing:

Quercetin is anti-inflammatory
Inflammation is a major contributing factor in obesity. In other words, if you want to keep your weight in check, then you're going to need to reduce the levels of inflammation in the body, or you'll be fighting an uphill battle. Anti-inflammatories like quercetin are one important puzzle piece in this equation.

Quercetin can protect against insulin resistance
Insulin resistance happens when your muscles, fat and liver don't respond as they should to insulin, a hormone that's essential for regulating blood sugar levels. If your cells are not responding to insulin correctly, your cells cannot take up glucose from your blood, leading your pancreas to keep increasing the amount of insulin it produces.

Essentially, your insulin and your blood sugar get into a bidding war, with the levels of each one increasing until you slide into mood swings, headaches, fatigue, obesity, possibly even diabetes. Bad news bears!

But again, quercetin has been shown to play a role in protecting against this escalation process by supporting your body to maintain a healthy response to insulin.

Quercetin has strong anti-oxidant properties
Antioxidants are substances that may protect your cells against free radicals – unstable molecules which play a role in heart disease, cancer and other health concerns. Once again, quercetin plays a protective role by reducing oxidative stress, supporting your body's ability to eliminate free radicals and prevent their destructive effects.

Quercetin can promote the chelation of heavy metal ions
When heavy metals are retained by the body, they can disrupt the endocrine system, leading to imbalances in both your sex hormones as well as your insulin receptors.

Helping to rid the body of toxic heavy metals and thereby protect the endocrine system is one of the several ways quercetin can support your weight management efforts.

Quercetin supports a healthy microbiome
Especially when taken in tandem with Akkermansia, quercetin supports your body's optimal balance of intestinal flora, protecting against gut dysbiosis and promoting healthy digestion.

Additionally –and here's the headline gallbladder patients have been waiting for! – this dynamic duo of quercetin + Akkermansia transform the type of toxic, hydrophilic bile that causes gallbladder sludge and gallstones, transforming it to a healthy, water-soluble bile.

Now that you've learned the many amazing benefits of quercetin, chances are you're going to want to make sure you're optimizing your intake of this polyphenol powerhouse.

But there's some bad news for gallbladder patients – many of the foods that are naturally highest in quercetin are also the foods you may be trying to avoid: cruciferous veggies like broccoli and kale, oranges, red onions, and red wine, just to name a few.

Even if you're not avoiding these foods, statistically speaking it's still quite likely you're not getting enough quercetin in your diet to experience its amazing health benefits.

The daily intake for a person following a typical Western diet is estimated to be between 0 and 30 mg per day. However, research shows that the immune and cardiovascular benefits of quercetin are reached at supplemental intakes of 500 mg to 1,000 mg per day."

I am not stating this is accurate but worth a read.
GR