What kind of resistance band for bench press?

trenabol

Trusted Member
With everything going on, and after reading goodlife's plan for reopening and how difficult things will be, I finally decided to start a home gym.

I got the typical rack setup and the rest via auction from gyms going under in my city. But even at auction I only got a few plates since those things cost a lot more than I imagined. So that leaves me with using resistance bands to hook to the rack, and then up around the olympic bar. I looked a bit on amazon and mostly saw those for working out your arms or to assist with pullups. I'm not sure if they are all the same? Any tips on brands or what I should look for would be helpful. Thanks!

Bands are really hard to come by right now. You would want lighter bands for bench (0.5" or 1.0" wide by 41" long). I don't think the vendor matters much for these because I've read they are from the same wholesaler more or less and I've never noticed a quality difference between mine, but you can check out EliteFTS, Rogue, Canadian Protein, Treadmill Factory, Fitness Avenue to see if they have stock.

Here is an example: https://www.fitnessavenue.ca/zrb5/41-strength-bands

Congrats on the home gym. Entirely off-topic but you can also make a DIY pulley for less than $30 using parts from a hardware store. I've been considering doing that myself.

You could hang just about anything from the bar for weight. Cinderblocks are cheap. Lol
Just keep the weight even side to side

With everything going on, and after reading goodlife's plan for reopening and how difficult things will be, I finally decided to start a home gym.

I got the typical rack setup and the rest via auction from gyms going under in my city. But even at auction I only got a few plates since those things cost a lot more than I imagined. So that leaves me with using resistance bands to hook to the rack, and then up around the olympic bar. I looked a bit on amazon and mostly saw those for working out your arms or to assist with pullups. I'm not sure if they are all the same? Any tips on brands or what I should look for would be helpful. Thanks!
OH MY GOD, don't order bands of Amazon unless you for sure for sure know the brand! Amazon is a gigantic clearinghouse for cheap Chinese versions of real Canadian/American work out gear. Every time I do a search for something, I see less North American/other countries' products show up and more Tenyai, Tenda, Tinyang etc type of brands that often even cut and paste the pictures from EliteFTS, Rogue, Canadian Protein right into "their version" only it's cheap shit from China. I still laugh at the 56 pieces set of "accessories" one of them was selling for GoPro mounts for $29.00 and free shipping if I got the order up to $35. I don't know what they make that shit out of but there have to be so many polluted landfills in China for all the useless slag from being about to produce junk without environmental protections that drive the cost of all of our superior products above what China can make, ship here and flog.

As for plates you're going to take it in the ass and it's for the most unexpected reason. Pouring steel, making plates before powder coating them is cheap as shit. Shipping them somewhere is not. The largest cost of plates is the damn shipping costs for them to get it to a reseller. Rogue (in my opinion) looks very nice but they are overpriced. Bumper plates are nice if you don't want them clashing in a house where other people might be trying to sleep or live without you lifting. Especially if you're using bands. I find that when I use bands, I am SPENT on the less rep and I barely make it to the bar or to the floor before dropping them.

If you can find a plate manufacturer close to where you live and are buying enough steel, it's possibly much cheaper to go on a road trip and buy them from local stores that buy them off the dock of the production plant.