TRT and DHEA

bump to hear more from @Oldguyjiujitsu to see if he has a update after stopping DHEA for 30 days

Yes I stopped for 30 days. I didn’t think I felt a difference until I went back on. I have been taking for about 3 weeks again. Exact same as last time. One week in there was a noticeable increase in pump due to cortisol blocking (maybe just me as I have BW that indicated high cortisol). Two weeks in again there was also a noticeable increase in metabolism. I had to increase carbs to maintain same weight.

With the touted immune benefits I plan to keep taking 25mg everyday until covid is over.

There is ZERO sex hormone impact for me...test or estrogen...because due to TRT I have been shutdown of years. A buddy of mine that has been on it for 6 months straight did see some hair thinning...TRT dr switched him to DHEA 7-keto (which is one of the 3 metabolites of DHEA). No interest in that to me as it has limited impact on cortisol and focuses on metabolism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I stopped for 30 days. I didn’t think I felt a difference until I went back on. I have been taking for about 3 weeks again. Exact same as last time. One week in there was a noticeable increase in pump due to cortisol blocking (maybe just me as I have BW that indicated high cortisol). Two weeks in again there was also a noticeable increase in metabolism. I had to increase carbs to maintain same weight.

With the touted immune benefits I plan to keep taking 25mg everyday until covid is over.

There is ZERO sex hormone impact for me...test or estrogen...because due to TRT I have been shutdown of years. A buddy of mine that has been on it for 6 months straight did see some hair thinning...TRT dr switched him to DHEA 7-keto (which is one of the 3 metabolites of DHEA). No interest in that to me as it has limited impact on cortisol and focuses on metabolism.

I read about DHEA-7 Keto... supposed to be better for burning fat though.

I started 100mg everyday today. It's a presecription based on blood work and my doctor wanting my DHEA levels where they were when I was a teen.
Have you came across info about long term use? I found peice of info saying DHEA supplementation is not a long term thing. But it wasn't clear if it wasn't recommended for long term for someone with norml DHEA levels, or someone who is low in DHEA.

LAstly, my doctor told me that even with being on TRT for 4 years that taking DHEA will increase natural test production. I have my doubts, but last time I got checked before TRT was 4 years ago and I was 4.2. I can only see that number being near zero have TRT for 4 year straight.

He wants me to drop my TRT from 75mg to 50 mg when I start 100mg of DHEA.. He really wanted to do this and then run blood work to see where my test levels are to see if the DHEA helped nat production and to see if I need to adjust my TRT dose more.. But unfortunately, the blood lab is closed due to Covid for at least a month.. He said they are trying to find a procedure to continue blood work with Covid, but it will take time.. So he said in the meant time, go 50mg test and 100 mg DHEA and I can adjust it based on how I feel until I get blood work..

I highly doubt i will notice a 25mg drop in TRT because he bumped by T4 dose from 75mg to 100mg. But we'll see

I started 100mg everyday today. It's a presecription based on blood work and my doctor wanting my DHEA levels where they were when I was a teen.
Have you came across info about long term use? I found peice of info saying DHEA supplementation is not a long term thing. But it wasn't clear if it wasn't recommended for long term for someone with norml DHEA levels, or someone who is low in DHEA.

LAstly, my doctor told me that even with being on TRT for 4 years that taking DHEA will increase natural test production. I have my doubts, but last time I got checked before TRT was 4 years ago and I was 4.2. I can only see that number being near zero have TRT for 4 year straight.

He wants me to drop my TRT from 75mg to 50 mg when I start 100mg of DHEA.. He really wanted to do this and then run blood work to see where my test levels are to see if the DHEA helped nat production and to see if I need to adjust my TRT dose more.. But unfortunately, the blood lab is closed due to Covid for at least a month.. He said they are trying to find a procedure to continue blood work with Covid, but it will take time.. So he said in the meant time, go 50mg test and 100 mg DHEA and I can adjust it based on how I feel until I get blood work..

I highly doubt i will notice a 25mg drop in TRT because he bumped by T4 dose from 75mg to 100mg. But we'll see

Yes 7-keto targets metabolism...but I have no interest in getting leaner.

100mg is a lot. Many claim the upper level to be 50mg. You got to be careful of side effects as it impacts a ton of hormones and not just sex. Do not exceed natural levels. How long has your dr been using this protocol? Make sure it not based on theory...not questioning your dr but you have to be your own medical advocate

My TRT Dr said there are no legit studies on long term use. Some dr recommend 30 days on 30 off. Having a hormone holiday they call it.

BS it can impact test when you are fully shut down. 3 TRT friends have seen zero impact in test levels when adding DHEA. I have seen no indication that is the case....my nuts are still peanuts lol

I don’t plan to take all year round. Your natural levels of DHEA will be suppressed and there is only “observed data” that you will return to pre treatment levels after longer term use.

Yes 7-keto targets metabolism...but I have no interest in getting leaner.

100mg is a lot. Many claim the upper level to be 50mg. You got to be careful of side effects as it impacts a ton of hormones and not just sex. Do not exceed natural levels. How long has your dr been using this protocol? Make sure it not based on theory...not questioning your dr but you have to be your own medical advocate

My TRT Dr said there are no legit studies on long term use. Some dr recommend 30 days on 30 off. Having a hormone holiday they call it.

BS it can impact test when you are fully shut down. 3 TRT friends have seen zero impact in test levels when adding DHEA. I have seen no indication that is the case....my nuts are still peanuts lol

I don’t plan to take all year round. Your natural levels of DHEA will be suppressed and there is only “observed data” that you will return to pre treatment levels after longer term use.

100mg is a lot from what I've read, but its based on my blood work. I've read doses of up to 500mg a day in some cases.

The doctor is about 55 years old and he told me he takes DHEA himself. I know he spent several years attending conferences and what not about hormones and anti aging etc.. He's well known in this field as being well versed and being open to setting his patient up to be at optimal levels..

I haven't come across concrete evidence of taking too much DHEA that apply to me. I see that if it dose rise your test levels, then the side effects come from the high test levels, not the DHEA itself. I'm not saying there isn't other negative side effects, but in my limited reading on it I haven't come across any that apply to myself yet.

I've also yet to find anything about long term use of DHEA in patients who are clinically low in their natural levels.

I sort of get your reasoning for not using DHEA all year because there is fear that your natural levels will become permenantly supressed.. But is this not what we are doing when we go on TRT forever as well? Is this something my doctor has considered and has decided that I will be taking DHEA for life because my health is better off than having low natural levels? He never discussed this with me, but I have lots of questions next time I go in for sure.. And I'll bring up what you've said as well.

I know DHEA affects a lot of body systems, but what specific ones do you think I should be carefully about? What side effects should one look for?

I'm not trying to discredit you at all, I'm actually very willing to accept knowledge about it that I don't currently have!!

100mg is a lot from what I've read, but its based on my blood work. I've read doses of up to 500mg a day in some cases.

The doctor is about 55 years old and he told me he takes DHEA himself. I know he spent several years attending conferences and what not about hormones and anti aging etc.. He's well known in this field as being well versed and being open to setting his patient up to be at optimal levels..

I haven't come across concrete evidence of taking too much DHEA that apply to me. I see that if it dose rise your test levels, then the side effects come from the high test levels, not the DHEA itself. I'm not saying there isn't other negative side effects, but in my limited reading on it I haven't come across any that apply to myself yet.

I've also yet to find anything about long term use of DHEA in patients who are clinically low in their natural levels.

I sort of get your reasoning for not using DHEA all year because there is fear that your natural levels will become permenantly supressed.. But is this not what we are doing when we go on TRT forever as well? Is this something my doctor has considered and has decided that I will be taking DHEA for life because my health is better off than having low natural levels? He never discussed this with me, but I have lots of questions next time I go in for sure.. And I'll bring up what you've said as well.

I know DHEA affects a lot of body systems, but what specific ones do you think I should be carefully about? What side effects should one look for?

I'm not trying to discredit you at all, I'm actually very willing to accept knowledge about it that I don't currently have!!
No offence taken...I only have 90 days personal experience with DHEA. I am far from an expert. Go ahead challenge my thinking...that is one of the purposes of this form. Its a cheap supplement in the US so does not warrant high pharma research, the Dr i know is based on his use with his patients for about 10 years and i have two friends that been using it on and off for about 2-3 years. Not a huge sample size.

Impact of DHEA i would be concerned about it if you took too much...brain function and thyroid. Yes i am already "potentially" permanently affecting my T and E2 levels by being on TRT for life. I personally don't want to add to that list of things i have to be dependent on so i will go on and off DHEA. Boosting the system a few times per year when stress is high and i want to keep immune strong and cortisol in check is my goal.

Maybe i am overthinking it all....@sorbate loves it when I do that :) I personally don't think doctors are very educated on some of these topics so my personal methodology is to do my own research, grill the Dr a little and then self experiment and make notes off all effects (good and bad) observed.

No offence taken...I only have 90 days personal experience with DHEA. I am far from an expert. Go ahead challenge my thinking...that is one of the purposes of this form. Its a cheap supplement in the US so does not warrant high pharma research, the Dr i know is based on his use with his patients for about 10 years and i have two friends that been using it on and off for about 2-3 years. Not a huge sample size.

Impact of DHEA i would be concerned about it if you took too much...brain function and thyroid. Yes i am already "potentially" permanently affecting my T and E2 levels by being on TRT for life. I personally don't want to add to that list of things i have to be dependent on so i will go on and off DHEA. Boosting the system a few times per year when stress is high and i want to keep immune strong and cortisol in check is my goal.

Maybe i am overthinking it all....@sorbate loves it when I do that :) I personally don't think doctors are very educated on some of these topics so my personal methodology is to do my own research, grill the Dr a little and then self experiment and make notes off all effects (good and bad) observed.

The doctor you refer to has patients go 30 on 30 off?

I don't know.. I can't think of another chemical naturally produced in the body that when its clinically low you aren't given a prescription for life for it.. Of course this is after exhausting other means to get your body to start producing it again. I'm fine becoming dependant on it if my body can't produce enough... If you research prescriptions and side effects you will always see a statement that's similar to "If you have been prescribed "x"it means your doctor has determined the health benefits of you taking this drug outweigh the possible side effects".. Basically saying yes there's side effects, but your doctor thinks you are better off taking it then not... I think that's fair reasoning.

I agree that its so cheap that the research just isn't there. Funny though my script for DHEA is not covered by my health care provider. 30 pills at 100mg cost me 34$ out of pocket.. I'm sure its cheaper off the shelf in the states lol...

I'm already on T4 for life, so I'm not worried about it affecting my thyroid, but I will read up on how it affects the thyroid to be 100% sure I can't get myself in trouble with it.

How does it affect brain function to your knowledge? I know it can have a negative (and positive) effect on mental health of people with pre existing conditions, but without a pre existing condition I haven't come across anything else.

I agree, so many doctors are not well read on things.. They literally graduate with their medical degree 30 years ago and that's when their ediucation stops, yet new research and drugs are made every day... One of the doctors I was seeing refused to even try to understand somethign I was explaining because it went against what he was taught in school. It was simply low stomach acid can cause indigestion due to unprocessed food fermenting and pushing up the esphogus. I literally had 3-4 articles in my hand which explained it... Refused to take the articles from me because he said "I'm not allowed to pratise anything that goes against what I Was taught"...

I know for a fact that doctors are actually under contract to continue their own proffessional developement. On other words, keep adding to their knowledge base. In my proffession I am bound to the same terms.. But sadly most people in my profession sign up for conferences based on there location, not the research being presented. So many go to conventions about God knows what just because they are in Jasper near the hot srpings.. There was even a handful of ppl in my area who got caught going to Las Vegas every year for a "convention" that was just awful and those ppl had no reason to further their education on that subject to begin with.

DOn't get me wrong, there are amazing doctors out there who aren't like that.

What province are you in?
dynacare is still doing bloodwork, at least a few days ago they still were, but they closed some locations

DHEA - my TRT Dr has been encouraging me to take DHEA for the past few years but i have always declined because the reviews have been marginal at best. This year my DHEA levels were well below the normal scale and my cortisol level are well above the normal range (stressful year). Dr convinced me to try 25mg per day. I agreed to try it for 3 months. Here is my experience after the first 30 days.

DHEA - My simplistic understanding of what the Dr told me DHEA is and would do. DHEA a hormone and has 3 main metabolites. The first affects the sex hormones...this is a non factor for me as i have been on TRT for years so i should not expect an anabolic or androgenic effects as i am completely shutdown. The second affects metabolism and i should see a slight impact almost immediately. the third affects the brain and DHEA will occupy the receptor that cortisol uses so it will essentially block most of the cortisol. Because of the reduction in cortisol Dr indicated that i will see a cognitive improvement and less brain fog. Plus a slight boost in energy.

After the first week, i was getting really strong pumps in the gym...though it was coincidence but it continued...call the Dr (she lets me text her) and she said the pump was from the cortisol being blocked. Its not that it was giving me "better" pumps but my pump was "more normal and not blunted by cortisol" This is an indicator to me that DHEA was doing its job and reducing cortisol and inflammation. (have not had BW yet)

At 30 days, i was hunger all the time. I have a very high metabolism and am very lean anyways but i am having to up my cals by 200 per day as my metabolism is in overdrive.

I have not seen a cognitive impact or energy impact yet but I was not experiencing any issue in that regard.

I am 48, DHEA levels were below normal, dropping consistently per year and due to stress my cortisol levels were too high. DHEA is working for me. If you are not deficient it will do shit. If you are on TRT or cruise and expecting an anabolic effect it will do shit. If you are getting a little older and lead a busy stressful life probably worth adding to your supplements.

I will update before the end of 90 days (when i do bloods) and whether i decide its worth continuing.
I know it's an old post, but that time did you measure salivary or blood cortisol?
thanks in advance for the reply

I know it's an old post, but that time did you measure salivary or blood cortisol?
thanks in advance for the reply

Did blood cortisol. It was high but i can’t recall the number

DHEA via adrenal gland does a good job of blocking cortisol. But as I’ve learned it’s a bit of a stopgap as you should really get to the source such as stress or overtraining and manage it that way