Top powerlifting coaches

Rocky

Trusted Member
I’ve started to take an interest in powerlifting, not specifically deadlift bench squat but overall strength training I guess?

anyone know who the top coaches are in strength training/powerlifting, more so ones that keep their clients lean/strong/lighter weight

for example bodybuilding there’s Chris aceto, hany rambod, Milos Sarcev, George Farrah, etc

dont follow powerlifting so I have no clue, not looking to hire but mainly watch videos on their protocols or read their info

Heres a few guys I follow for information. Most of the info is quite old now.
Mark rippetoe
Marty Gallagher
Larry wheels
Chris duffin
Also juggernaut and westside
Any of these guys do Olympic weight lifting sorta stuff? Seems like a lot of those guys stay lean vs the typical power lifter look

Any of these guys do Olympic weight lifting sorta stuff? Seems like a lot of those guys stay lean vs the typical power lifter look
Some do both but mostly powerlifting. Larry wheels actually competes in powerlifting but did a bodybuilding show. The rest are mostly old coaches. Not all powerlifters are fat. Lol. Just the heavyweights

Gotta get some STAN EFFERDING in there and shout out to Chris Duffin as well.
Ah nm...after rereading your post I'm guessing you are looking at Clean and Jerk, Snatch kind of stuff.
Can't help you there.

Last edited:
Gotta get some STAN EFFERDING in there and shout out to Chris Duffin as well.
Ah nm...after rereading your post I'm guessing you are looking at Clean and Jerk, Snatch kind of stuff.
Can't help you there.
I watched some Stan efferding videos, seems like a cool guy but lots of bro science sorta stuffed turned me away

I’ll look up Chris duffin

not specifically looking for Olympic weight lifting lifts but I saw some Olympic weightlifters on YouTube, they seem crazy strong and their physiques are good opposed to the typical power lifter look. They’re pretty small for the weight they’re moving too

trying to figure out how to gain the most amount of strength with the smallest amount of weight gain

this video popped up in my recommendations randomly and I was already thinking of trying to gain strength vs muscle

If you are fairly competent in your ability to implement a set plan without necessarily hands on coaching, I've heard great things about Juggernaut's AI coaching. Essentially you input a series of variables (fatigue, rate of perceived exertion etc) and it gives you your programming each week. There's also some really great premade plans on barbell medicines site and they have programs for more general strength rather than specific powerlifting movements.

Just a note on the super jacked weightlifters you see on YouTube, I think it's important to remember these guys are the genetic elite. Most people cannot build that amount of muscle with Olympic focused training, it's just not enough hypertrophy. Unless of course you enter the sport already jacked. Especially those Chinese lifters, they are recruited at a young age specifically for the sport.

Oh yeah and let's not forget the T-Bol they occasionally get popped for by WADA ;) haha

If you are fairly competent in your ability to implement a set plan without necessarily hands on coaching, I've heard great things about Juggernaut's AI coaching. Essentially you input a series of variables (fatigue, rate of perceived exertion etc) and it gives you your programming each week. There's also some really great premade plans on barbell medicines site and they have programs for more general strength rather than specific powerlifting movements.

Just a note on the super jacked weightlifters you see on YouTube, I think it's important to remember these guys are the genetic elite. Most people cannot build that amount of muscle with Olympic focused training, it's just not enough hypertrophy. Unless of course you enter the sport already jacked. Especially those Chinese lifters, they are recruited at a young age specifically for the sport.

Oh yeah and let's not forget the T-Bol they occasionally get popped for by WADA ;) haha
Haha I get what you mean
But even when people bodybuild, I don’t think they’re expecting to be in the Olympia stage, but to bodybuild at their own body’s capabilities

not trying to be an Olympic weight lifter, with their physique or pushing their weight

just looking to understand how their training/diet is different than say a bodybuilders and to build as much strength as I can while keeping my body weight low

here’s another person on YouTube I remember seeing but I wasn’t interested in it at the time I saw this video, he’s 150lbs pushing 4plates a side on bench

just wondering if there’s specific rep ranges, training frequency, workouts (volume, number of exercises per workout, rest between sets, working specific supporting muscles to be able to lift heavier), macronutrient splits, etc. for optimizing strength.

Last edited:
Some freaks out there! Very true. Nothing wrong with wanting to be strong and lean!

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

Just go out on the internet and watch a lot of the olympic lifting training video's you can get a great sense of how they train and get strong, leanness is all a matter of diet ...really. Watch a lot of how strongmen train ... farmer walks ... carries ... heavy pulls ... heavy throws. Watch some of the highland game strength training tubes. I like Mark rippetoe, Marty Gallagher, Dan John ... Louis Simmons (crazy man) ... Ed Coan, Mark Bell... so much out there. My preference in terms of watching lifting, I can watch olympic style lifting competitions for very long periods of time. They are totally focused on speed strength (mainly posterior chain muscle training, back trap, hams, glutes along with core and maximal leg strength) and perfecting technique. It just looks so damn strong, hard and amazing. just look at this tube ... amazing

Just go out on the internet and watch a lot of the olympic lifting training video's you can get a great sense of how they train and get strong, leanness is all a matter of diet ...really. Watch a lot of how strongmen train ... farmer walks ... carries ... heavy pulls ... heavy throws. Watch some of the highland game strength training tubes. I like Mark rippetoe, Marty Gallagher, Dan John ... Louis Simmons (crazy man) ... Ed Coan, Mark Bell... so much out there. My preference in terms of watching lifting, I can watch olympic style lifting competitions for very long periods of time. They are totally focused on speed strength (mainly posterior chain muscle training, back trap, hams, glutes along with core and maximal leg strength) and perfecting technique. It just looks so damn strong, hard and amazing. just look at this tube ... amazing

Never really thought about speed but that makes sense
I’m guessing you don’t want to do the typical slower reps like a bodybuilder when focusing on strength

I’ll try doing some research tonight thanks for getting me started on something to look into

I’ve pretty much just been doing Dorian style training but switched the rep ranges to 4-6 on my last set, but I’m guessing there’s a better way to train for strength

Never really thought about speed but that makes sense
I’m guessing you don’t want to do the typical slower reps like a bodybuilder when focusing on strength

I’ll try doing some research tonight thanks for getting me started on something to look into

I’ve pretty much just been doing Dorian style training but switched the rep ranges to 4-6 on my last set, but I’m guessing there’s a better way to train for strength
Speed is part of the equation of power "difference between Power Training vs Strength Training is, that strength refers to the ability to overcome resistance, while power refers to the ability to overcome resistance in the shortest period of time". If you take a look at westside they talk about a implementing a speed day to increase their speed strength. Louis Simmons got a lot of his methods from translated Russian weightlifting transcripts and there was a lot of emphasis of strength applied in the shortest period of time. So his method of powerlifting is a speed day for bench and a speed day for squat and deads once a week along with complimentary max effort days. Speed day's goal is to increase the highest bench weight or squat weight you can lift at the point the bar starts to slow down relative to your earliest weight used. Strong band weight is used on these days with less plates so that your lift has to be fast or you will not be able to overcome the max resistance of the bands at the top of the lift. Take a look ... quite interesting

Westside Max effort days and dynamic speed days are the fastest road to big strength gains if your body can handle it. Imo

Reactions: PGM
Westside Max effort days and dynamic speed days are the fastest road to big strength gains if your body can handle it. Imo
I used this method when I was competing. I got to the level my body would let me go. I enjoyed the method and it had worked for so many lifters. I actually called Louis as his number was in Powerlifting USA and he answered. I asked him if I could come down and train at his club over a weekend. He said sure come on down. He suggested I come down when Dave Tate was putting on a workshop... it was quite the experience, a little hole in the wall at a strip mall in Columbus Ohio. he has since grown out of that place.. All I can say was the women were stronger than I was as Louis would not let me lift with the guys as the weights they were using were way out of my range.

I used this method when I was competing. I got to the level my body would let me go. I enjoyed the method and it had worked for so many lifters. I actually called Louis as his number was in Powerlifting USA and he answered. I asked him if I could come down and train at his club over a weekend. He said sure come on down. He suggested I come down when Dave Tate was putting on a workshop... it was quite the experience, a little hole in the wall at a strip mall in Columbus Ohio. he has since grown out of that place.. All I can say was the women were stronger than I was as Louis would not let me lift with the guys as the weights they were using were way out of my range.
Wow thats an experience thats priceless

wow that sounds like an amazing experience.

Wow thats an experience thats priceless
It was pretty cool. The woman actually corrected a technique issue I had called chicken wings. They got me to pull my elbows down and tight into my sides and it upped my max squat by 50lbs in about 2 month's. Crazy what a small adjustment will do.

Layne norton is another smart guy that does powerlifting. Not sure if hes considered a coach but he competes. I thinknhe broke a couple natural records

Check out juggernaut-powerlifting YouTube channel. He has everything you need to know to get started.

Also keep in mind that body composition is a result of diet, not training style