The finer things in life thread

animal-inside

Trusted Member
Did you find a product, that even though its more expensive, its vastly superior to everything and it's now something that you cherish the opportunity to enjoy? Share it here and add an explanation.

This shaving cream. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B014HJKZ2C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am a shaving consieur.. I pay BIG bucks for the finest shaving products. I've tried many high end shaving creams and soaps, but this "Taylor of Old Bond Street" is vastly superior to anything I've ever tried. Buy it, use a real badger brush in a bowl to build lather (doesn't take much effort) and then brush it on to your face. As soon as you do this, before you even start shaving, you will realize its like no other shaving cream or soap. Then shave.. It's seriously the smoothest, softest and silkiest shave of all time.

This is the only shaving cream that comes close to Taylor of Old Bond street and its twice as expensive.
https://www.amazon.ca/West-Indian-L...-fkmr0&keywords=truffitt+and+hill+shave+cream

Fuck, I spend a lot of money on things. Things that a lot of people would deem stupid shit but I love them.

Knives - I hate shit kitchen knives. I do lots of cooking and use them all the time. Currently have Wustoffs and a Shun suntoku. Probably upwards of $1000 on 6 knives but I believe them to be a necessity. They really do make cooking a joy.

Glasses - hate cheap wine glasses. Drink a lot of wine and like nice glasses.

Socks - once again, spend quite a lot of money on socks. I dont buy socks all the time but when I do it's usually $20+ a pair and merino or smartwool. They last MUCH longer, they don't smell and they're great in winter.

Fuck, I could go on..and on.

Fuck, I spend a lot of money on things. Things that a lot of people would deem stupid shit but I love them.

Knives - I hate shit kitchen knives. I do lots of cooking and use them all the time. Currently have Wustoffs and a Shun suntoku. Probably upwards of $1000 on 6 knives but I believe them to be a necessity. They really do make cooking a joy.

Socks - once again, spend quite a lot of money on socks. I dont buy socks all the time but when I do it's usually $20+ a pair and merino or smartwool. They last MUCH longer, they don't smell and they're great in winter.

I agree with you on socks. I have my everyday socks and then just a few pairs of real nice socks. heavy duty wool ones I use when its real cold outside

I live pretty simply which is what I prefer. I don't like a bunch of 'stuff and gadgets' hanging around. Basically I buy what I need to live comfortably and any excess goods are usually gifts. That said when I do buy something I buy quality so that it lasts which usually costs a bit more. So for example this year I bought these winter boots for the snow: https://www.manitobah.ca/collections/mukluks/products/mid-gatherer?variant=959201557

The only thing I really spend my money on that many people don't is art. Paintings, carvings and the like. I enjoy a certain atmosphere in my home and art creates that for me, and good art can get expensive comparatively.

A good chunk of my income goes to upgrading my home. Front and rear decks, fencing for the dogs, and this spring new flooring and bathroom renos. I do most of the work myself so that keeps costs down, but like most things, quality materials aren't cheap, but they last much longer.

Bought my wife a Wustoff chef knive last year. She's cheap and refused to buy anything but junk kitchen knives. I bought it for her without asking and she loves it. She;s a person that doesn't understand paying extra for some things is actually better.

I have a could mid priced knives. Puma skinner and high end kersaw folder. Although they are higher end, you can easily spend $500 on a custom knive. One day lol..

I buy cheap every day clothes lol.. Old navy and marks work wherehouse are a staple in my wardrobe, but I like higher end underwear.

I live pretty simply which is what I prefer. I don't like a bunch of 'stuff and gadgets' hanging around. Basically I buy what I need to live comfortably and any excess goods are usually gifts. That said when I do buy something I buy quality so that it lasts which usually costs a bit more. So for example this year I bought these winter boots for the snow: https://www.manitobah.ca/collections/mukluks/products/mid-gatherer?variant=959201557

The only thing I really spend my money on that many people don't is art. Paintings, carvings and the like. I enjoy a certain atmosphere in my home and art creates that for me, and good art can get expensive comparatively.

A good chunk of my income goes to upgrading my home. Front and rear decks, fencing for the dogs, and this spring new flooring and bathroom renos. I do most of the work myself so that keeps costs down, but like most things, quality materials aren't cheap, but they last much longer.

I spend very little on everyday clothes, but I spend tons of clothes that need to serve a purpose like boots, coats etc..

I bought my mom a pair of manitobah muklucks a couple years ago... Expensive, but well made.

I agree with you on socks. I have my everyday socks and then just a few pairs of real nice socks. heavy duty wool ones I use when its real cold outside
I have tried lots of socks. At first I thought paying $20 for a pair of socks was ridiculous, but after you keep buying new cheap socks they soon earn their value.

Bought my wife a Wustoff chef knive last year. She's cheap and refused to buy anything but junk kitchen knives. I bought it for her without asking and she loves it. She;s a person that doesn't understand paying extra for some things is actually better.

I have a could mid priced knives. Puma skinner and high end kersaw folder. Although they are higher end, you can easily spend $500 on a custom knive. One day lol..

I buy cheap every day clothes lol.. Old navy and marks work wherehouse are a staple in my wardrobe, but I like higher end underwear.
Haha, I'm with you in high end underwear. Similar to I mentioned above about socks. Good stuff just lasts longer.

Tools are my downfall. Like wtf did I need a cordless gas fired brad nailer for. It’s a commercial unit, I’ll never wear it out. I also bought a 200 lb plate compactor. Why would I need a plate compactor, lol, well they had a new one that I got for $1000, they are normally $3000, and that’s almost as much as it would have cost me to rent to do the pavers at the last two houses. Damn thing is still like new, I pack the pavers that move in the winter frost heave, then spread new polymeric sand.
I have a drywall screw gun, used it to do this basement, I’ll likely never use it again.

Vehicles is another of my faults. I always have to buy the high end high performance version. Why because I like spending 3 times as much on brakes and tires, lol. Which reminds me I need to replace the tires on my car this summer, well there goes $3000. Too bad they only get 10,000 km before bald. But I do get 1.5 g skid, lol.

I find as I get older though I am becoming cheaper. I don’t really care as much.

Oh and gear. I don’t care if I pay more as long as it’s good.

Oh and I forgot, meat. I eat the best of the best. Just because I own the place doesn’t mean it still doesn’t cost me. But I have no issues eating a $12 ribeye 3-4 times a week. Or have a $30 lobster tail with a $10 tenderloin steak.
There are times I have worked out what it cost me to feed people when they come over, by the time they get shrimp, stuffed mushroom, purchittio wrapped asparagus and the the steak, or smoked ribs. I think one time at cost it was $50 a person, and I had 10 for a pool party, nevermind the alcohol. This is the part my wife never gets cheap on.

Tools are my downfall. Like wtf did I need a cordless gas fired brad nailer for. It’s a commercial unit, I’ll never wear it out. I also bought a 200 lb plate compactor. Why would I need a plate compactor, lol, well they had a new one that I got for $1000, they are normally $3000, and that’s almost as much as it would have cost me to rent to do the pavers at the last two houses. Damn thing is still like new, I pack the pavers that move in the winter frost heave, then spread new polymeric sand.
I have a drywall screw gun, used it to do this basement, I’ll likely never use it again.

Vehicles is another of my faults. I always have to buy the high end high performance version. Why because I like spending 3 times as much on brakes and tires, lol. Which reminds me I need to replace the tires on my car this summer, well there goes $3000. Too bad they only get 10,000 km before bald. But I do get 1.5 g skid, lol.

I find as I get older though I am becoming cheaper. I don’t really care as much.

Oh and gear. I don’t care if I pay more as long as it’s good.

Oh and I forgot, meat. I eat the best of the best. Just because I own the place doesn’t mean it still doesn’t cost me. But I have no issues eating a $12 ribeye 3-4 times a week. Or have a $30 lobster tail with a $10 tenderloin steak.
There are times I have worked out what it cost me to feed people when they come over, by the time they get shrimp, stuffed mushroom, purchittio wrapped asparagus and the the steak, or smoked ribs. I think one time at cost it was $50 a person, and I had 10 for a pool party, nevermind the alcohol. This is the part my wife never gets cheap on.

Lol... I buy high end tools all the time. Its not bad to do so either imo...

You can spend 10 hours doing cruel job, or buy a $400 tool an easily get it done in an hour. No brainer.

Fishing and Hunting gear is what i spend way to much on. I think if the wife actually looked in my gun safes or all my fly fishing boxes she would go crazy.

Fishing and Hunting gear is what i spend way to much on. I think if the wife actually looked in my gun safes or all my fly fishing boxes she would go crazy.

Fishing and hunting gear is something where the high end stuff is not even in the same category as low or even medium quality stuff. A high end gun is a thing of beuty and art in looks, function and quality of mateirals compared to even a mid priced gun.

Love my $1800 smith and wesson revolver!!

At this stage of life, i find that i am more time poor than money poor. Recently my son got a concussion at hockey so could not watch TV, be on his phone, etc. We obviously were not racing around to hockey, etc so we spent a couple of quiet evenings at home, with the three of us sitting around the table playing Crib. No TV blaring etc. It was very peaceful family time...That is the finer things to me now.

I used to be a sports car enthusiast. But as of last year I went wake surfing with an associate of mine and needless to say I no longer care about cars and I am in love with boating now. Almost all disposable income now goes towards being on the lake, boating and enjoying time with friends and family!

I used to be a sports car enthusiast. But as of last year I went wake surfing with an associate of mine and needless to say I no longer care about cars and I am in love with boating now. Almost all disposable income now goes towards being on the lake, boating and enjoying time with friends and family!

You got it @G-Force , We made the plunge two years ago and got a surf boat. One of the best decision we ever made...I have teenagers, instead of them going to parties on the weekends with friends, they want to come to the lake and surf all day and sit by the fire in the evening...great family time. And God i love to surf...no better feeling than just floating on the wave and its not hard on the body at all.

Last edited: