Stroke and Cholesterol

eazy57

Hi everyone,

Well... here it goes...

It's been while but I'd thought I'd share a scare I had on September 30th.

Let me preface this post with a few details. As far as steroids go, I had stopped my test/primo cycle two weeks before my episode. I stopped everything. All supplements too as I wanted to 'reset'. I had been drinking fairly regularly as I have amassed a excellent scotch collection. Not a lot. One, maybe 2 a day. But really, my wife and I had been drinking much more often during this covid thing. Also about a week before I attended an annual 'boy's night' where lots of alcohol and drugs were consumed. But nothing but my daily scotch for the 6 days prior.

High cholesterol and stroke is known issue in my family. My father, and grandfather had strokes.

I woke up on September 30 dizziness. Vertigo. When I tried to speak to my wife I sounded like I was drunk. Slurring my words like marble mouth. We went through all the tests. Raise arms, walk in line. Follow the finger from side to side... all that was fine. Off to the hospital we go.

I redid the same physical tests with the doctor. Fine. CT scan was inconclusive. MRI 2 weeks later conformed a small ischemic stroke. But no damage to the brain. Bloodwork showed my blood pressure and cholesterol was through the roof. More bloodwork. I had a ultrasound of my liver and heart. I'll find the result of the liver test tomorrow. The heart test revealed no plaque build up or structural issues, but a weak heart beat. The doctor from the clinic said there were elevated liver enzymes that maybe associated with Sjogren's syndrome. Maybe.. Now off to a cardiologist and a rheumatologist.

They immediately put me on blood thinners (chlopidogrel 75mg) blood pressure (amlodipine 5mg) and cholesterol medication (rosuvastatin 40mg).

On picking up my medication my pharmacist told me if I was sure I wanted to rosvastatin at such a high dose as they have serious side effects, especially with blood thinners. They contacted my doctor and sure enough she told them and me to take them. A few of side affects are lethargy and tiredness, muscle cramps, spasms, and possibly eating away at muscle.

Within a few days I experienced many of the issues. Today I noticed I looked considerably smaller. I stepper on the scale and I lost 15 lbs since the end of September. 15 fucking lbs because of this drug. I have an appointment previously scheduled with my doctor for tomorrow. This is unacceptable.

I've recovered from symptoms of the stroke. My blood pressure is back to normal. I just stopped taking the thinners Friday from advice from the stroke clinic. She was upset I was on more than 30 days!

Anyway, although I don't steroids is a factor, (I was running 125g test and 300 primo on my last cycle) I will say especially as one ages (I'm 54) the importance of diet and moderation. And please get your bloods done regularly! Pharmaceuticals are pure evil!

I'll write back tomorrow wit an update.

Eazy

Hi everyone,

Well... here it goes...

Let me preface this post with a few details. As far as steroids go, I had stopped my test/primo cycle two weeks before my episode. I stopped everything. All supplements too as I wanted to 'reset'. I had been drinking fairly regularly as I have amassed a excellent scotch collection. Not a lot. One, maybe 2 a day. But really, my wife and I had been drinking much more often during this covid thing. Also about a week before I attended an annual 'boy's night' where lots of alcohol and drugs were consumed. But nothing but my daily scotch for the 6 days prior.

High cholesterol and stroke is known issue in my family. My father, and grandfather had strokes.

I woke up on September 30 dizziness. Vertigo. When I tried to speak to my wife I sounded like I was drunk. Slurring my words like marble mouth. We went through all the tests. Raise arms, walk in line. Follow the finger from side to side... all that was fine. Off to the hospital we go.

I redid the same physical tests with the doctor. Fine. CT scan was inconclusive. MRI 2 weeks later conformed a small ischemic stroke. But no damage to the brain. Bloodwork showed my blood pressure and cholesterol was through the roof. More bloodwork. I had a ultrasound of my liver and heart. I'll find the result of the liver test tomorrow. The heart test revealed no plaque build up or structural issues, but a weak heart beat. The doctor from the clinic said there were elevated liver enzymes that maybe associated with Sjogren's syndrome. Maybe.. Now off to a cardiologist and a rheumatologist.

They immediately put me on blood thinners (chlopidogrel 75mg) blood pressure (amlodipine 5mg) and cholesterol medication (rosuvastatin 40mg).

On picking up my medication my pharmacist told me if I was sure I wanted to rosvastatin at such a high dose as they have serious side effects, especially with blood thinners. They contacted my doctor and sure enough she told them and me to take them. A few of side affects are lethargy and tiredness, muscle cramps, spasms, and possibly eating away at muscle.

Within a few days I experienced many of the issues. Today I noticed I looked considerably smaller. I stepper on the scale and I lost 15 lbs since the end of September. 15 fucking lbs because of this drug. I have an appointment previously scheduled with my doctor for tomorrow. This is unacceptable.

I've recovered from symptoms of the stroke. My blood pressure is back to normal. I just stopped taking the thinners Friday from advice from the stroke clinic. She was upset I was on more than 30 days!

Anyway, although I don't steroids is a factor, (I was running 125g test and 300 primo on my last cycle) I will say especially as one ages (I'm 54) the importance of diet and moderation. And please get your bloods done regularly! Pharmaceuticals are pure evil!

Eazy

Who cares about 15 pounds bro you are alive!
Hope you have good healing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi everyone,

Well... here it goes...

Eazy
thanks for sharing and wise words. Forget the loss of weight, you will get it back if you want. Happy to hear you recovered.

Few thoughts for what they are worth - what you were on at the time or just before may have no impact on what occurred. Nothing in life is free, just like radiation has memory - maybe a bad analogy, PED's in the past may catch up with you when you are just on TRT or completely off. I often hear there are no side effects to this cycle and I think/say not right now, who knows in 6 months or 6 years. I am not saying that is what happened but for us to think short term side effects of PED's means we won't have issues later would not be wise. You didn't say that so I am in no way saying you did or PED's had anything to do with your issues but they may have.
I hope you find out exactly what happened, it is easily controlled and you remain healthy and get back to the weight/size you want. Based on pictures you have posted - 15 lbs loss, your still in much better shape and bigger than most.

Obviously it could in no way be associated with any experimental gene therapy injections. So definitely no point in checking pfizer's own extensive but not exhaustive list of known side effects found in App A pgs 30-38. What are the odds something like Sjogren's syndrome would be on there.
Correlation and of course coincidence do not equal causation.

I hope you figure it all out and everything works out for you.

I'm glad your ok man, thanks for sharing this. Just to clarify did you mean your blood pressure and cholesterol spiked out of no where or were you not checking it during your cycle?

Last edited:
Damn, rough stuff brother. So, is the statin needed to prevent another stroke or just given as a standard protocol?
Both. Statins are commonly prescribed for high cholesterol. My dosage at 40mg a day is the highest dose prescribed. And that is given in thr short term immediately after a stroke. I fully expect the dose to be lowered significantly this week.

Blood thinners increases the efficacy of the drug. Which made the side effects much, much worse. Which is why my pharmacist was hesitant to prescribe it.

thanks for sharing and wise words. Forget the loss of weight, you will get it back if you want. Happy to hear you recovered.

Few thoughts for what they are worth - what you were on at the time or just before may have no impact on what occurred. Nothing in life is free, just like radiation has memory - maybe a bad analogy, PED's in the past may catch up with you when you are just on TRT or completely off. I often hear there are no side effects to this cycle and I think/say not right now, who knows in 6 months or 6 years. I am not saying that is what happened but for us to think short term side effects of PED's means we won't have issues later would not be wise. You didn't say that so I am in no way saying you did or PED's had anything to do with your issues but they may have.
I hope you find out exactly what happened, it is easily controlled and you remain healthy and get back to the weight/size you want. Based on pictures you have posted - 15 lbs loss, your still in much better shape and bigger than most.
I gather years of PED use and my own hereditary predisposition had a hand it it. I was running 125-250mg of test and 300mg of primo for about 5 months. Before blasting and cruising. But primarily promo for the past few years. In my 10 or so years of AAS use, I've tried most things.

My first thought goes to the increase of alcohol consumption since covid began.

But again, all may it may not have in some small part be contributing factors. I started this thread for me to share my experience, findings, and be a resource and conversation especially for older 50+ guys.

I'm glad your ok man, thanks for sharing this. Just to clarify did you mean your blood pressure and cholesterol spiked out of no where or were you not checking it during your cycle?
It seemed to spike abnormally. I did party pretty hard the week before. More than anything I suspect that more than anything.

A decade of bloods work while on AAS never returned levels like that.

Can't be a young man anymore.

Thank you for sharing this very important info. and message with us.

Many of us have high B.P. issues with family members who have had strokes, heart issues or kidney problems, etc. and we should be more careful and diligent.

I'm glad you are okay and mostly back to normal.

Please take good care of yourself.

OD

It seemed to spike abnormally. I did party pretty hard the week before. More than anything I suspect that more than anything.

A decade of bloods work while on AAS never returned levels like that.

Can't be a young man anymore.
My dad said that, he always had really low blood pressure so much his doctors thought he was an athlete then one day it just went high and stayed high. I'm sure there's a reason but it's crazy how it can juat happen. What's the plan for future trt blood meds and lots of low intensity cardio for a while or maybe a break from everything ?

It's always a combination of things, genetics and individual predisposition being the heaviest cause.

This is something people like me who have family history of high blood pressure and strokes keep an eye on.

Anyway, I hope you feel better man and recover quickly. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for the well wishes. I'm feeling good. Except for the side effects of high dose rosuvastatin.

Doctors were completely surprised by my stroke and are flummoxed to the cause. A battery of tests are still being carried out and it will take some time yet.

My own diagnosis: heredity high cholesterol. Alcohol. Occasional hard partying, blast and cruising.

The list isn't order specific. All of which and none of which could directly attribute to this certain episode. But all carry risks.

Many of us are long time users. I know I'm lucky and my recovery will be 100%. A wake up call for sure. But if my experience can help thise with similar family conditions be more attentive and mindful its worth sharing.

Thank you for the well wishes. I'm feeling good. Except for the side effects of high dose rosuvastatin.

Doctors were completely surprised by my stroke and are flummoxed to the cause. A battery of tests are still being carried out and it will take some time yet.

My own diagnosis: heredity high cholesterol. Alcohol. Occasional hard partying, blast and cruising.

The list isn't order specific. All of which and none of which could directly attribute to this certain episode. But all carry risks.

Many of us are long time users. I know I'm lucky and my recovery will be 100%. A wake up call for sure. But if my experience can help thise with similar family conditions be more attentive and mindful its worth sharing.
You are vaccinated for work? And when did you get your last booster?

Nit going a conspiracy here, actually curious. If it was months ago, we’ll likely nothing, if it was like 3 weeks ago, maybe one of the factors. If so maybe don’t get any more boosters just in case.

Btw thank you for posting. Thing is it’s tough to tell how many guys just leave but have health issues. Kinda gives us a false sense of safety.